Tim Boyle | Page 6 | The Boneyard

Tim Boyle

Reaction Score
1. Boyle was a fairly highly touted recruit, with a big arm and a lot of raw potential. Everybody knew this. It's no surprise, but nobody should be patting themselves on the back for seeing potential in him when no one else did, because everyone saw it.

2. Boyle had a ton of things go against him. Multiple coaches, mostly who were terrible coaches, especially offensively. Played behind awful offensive lines, with little running game to support him. Thrown to the wolves in these circumstances. And being a pocket passer, these circumstances probably hurt him more than some of the other qb's, who could avoid pressure and make plays with their legs.

3. That said, he got opportunities and was abysmal. Maybe if our program was at a better place his career would have gone better. But it's not that we didn't give him a chance. We did, and he was the worst option we had. Then he transferred and still was pretty bad. It's awesome for him that under and nfl coaching staff and in a position where he can just worry about development he has improved. But it wasn't going to happen here, and probably not at most places (not all)

C

Chief00

You know what Chief? I think you know jack about football. I don’t know much more, but I know that. Lighten up with the “casual fan” # 2. It got old the first time you posted it.
Actually, football was my primary sport until about 7th grade.

Reaction Score
While at UConn Boyle displayed a raw ability to throw the ball. What he lacked as a freshman was a coach in his corner and a command of the huddle. TJ knew he wasn't ready to be thrown into the USF game but acquiesced after PP's public announcement raised the excitement level of fans, media etc. He later said he regretted that move. Ultimately, TJ wanted/needed a more seasoned QB with take charge leadership qualities that Boyle hadn't yet mastered and found them in Cochran. At the end of his third year, after plenty of frustration at his own level of play and a lot of soul searching, Tim left for Eastern Kentucky knowing he'd have to sit out the following season before even being eligible to play again. Think about that. I recall most folks shaking their heads at the move, feeling he was trading his valuable UConn degree for a chance to chase unreachable rainbows in Richmond Kentucky. Few if any foresaw him on an NFL roster, let alone as the backup QB on the Green Bay Packers. But with an extraordinary degree of self-belief in the face of all those doubters he did it. I give him all the credit in the world for his success.

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
While at UConn Boyle displayed a raw ability to throw the ball. What he lacked as a freshman was a coach in his corner and a command of the huddle. TJ knew he wasn't ready to be thrown into the USF game but acquiesced after PP's public announcement raised the excitement level of fans, media etc. He later said he regretted that move. Ultimately, TJ wanted/needed a more seasoned QB with take charge leadership qualities that Boyle hadn't yet mastered and found them in Cochran. At the end of his third year, after plenty of frustration at his own level of play and a lot of soul searching, Tim left for Eastern Kentucky knowing he'd have to sit out the following season before even being eligible to play again. Think about that. I recall most folks shaking their heads at the move, feeling he was trading his valuable UConn degree for a chance to chase unreachable rainbows in Richmond Kentucky. Few if any foresaw him on an NFL roster, let alone as the backup QB on the Green Bay Packers. But with an extraordinary degree of self-belief in the face of all those doubters he did it. I give him all the credit in the world for his success.
I thought EKU was an FCS school, and Boyle didn't have to sit out a year, he just couldn't beat out the starter his first year there?

Reaction Score
I thought EKU was an FCS school, and Boyle didn't have to sit out a year, he just couldn't beat out the starter his first year there?

"NCAA transfer rules meant that he would be unable to play for the Colonels right away, so he was forced to watch from the sidelines last season as EKU lacked continuity at the quarterback position. The Colonels started four different QBs throughout the season, due to injuries and other issues."

"Anointed the starting quarterback after sitting out the 2016 season due to transfer rules, Boyle had a good enough year at EKU to get NFL scouts buzzing."

Reaction Score
1. Boyle was a fairly highly touted recruit, with a big arm and a lot of raw potential. Everybody knew this. It's no surprise, but nobody should be patting themselves on the back for seeing potential in him when no one else did, because everyone saw it.

Revisionist history.

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
"NCAA transfer rules meant that he would be unable to play for the Colonels right away, so he was forced to watch from the sidelines last season as EKU lacked continuity at the quarterback position. The Colonels started four different QBs throughout the season, due to injuries and other issues."

"Anointed the starting quarterback after sitting out the 2016 season due to transfer rules, Boyle had a good enough year at EKU to get NFL scouts buzzing."
Your link goes to the team stats for that year, not the quote that says he had to sit out due to transfer rules. Not arguing with you, but unless he transferred in January maybe he shouldn't have to sit out a year going to the lower division, as I understand it.

Reaction Score
"NCAA transfer rules meant that he would be unable to play for the Colonels right away, so he was forced to watch from the sidelines last season as EKU lacked continuity at the quarterback position. The Colonels started four different QBs throughout the season, due to injuries and other issues."\

Your link goes to the team stats for that year, not the quote that says he had to sit out due to transfer rules. Not arguing with you, but unless he transferred in January maybe he shouldn't have to sit out a year going to the lower division, as I understand it.

I believe he took the opportunity to use his available red-shirt year. I don't believe it had anything to do w/ NCAA transfer rules (despite what the article said). EKU also had Missouri transfer Maty Mauk come in that year if I remember correctly so Boyle sat and got acclimated for 2017

Reaction Score

I wasn't trying to reference anything with the link. I was simply highlighting the quotes from EKU and Green Bay media articles that said he sat for the year due to "NCAA transfer rules" and "due to transfer rules" respectively. I took the comments at face value but who knows, you may be correct.

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
I wasn't trying to reference anything with the link. I was simply highlighting the quotes from EKU and Green Bay media articles that said he sat for the year due to "NCAA transfer rules" and "due to transfer rules" respectively. I took the comments at face value but who knows, you may be correct.
Looking it up, you don't have to sit a year if going from FBS to FCS, if you have more than one year of eligibility remaining. Did he transfer after his 3rd year here?

C

Chief00

I think he played better than Kizer. He earned the backup job.
He led the NFL in preseason TD passes and no interceptions - for those who thought he had an incurable case of inaccuracy his freshman year in college. Granted, starters across the league don’t see much time - but it’s the NFL and the number 2 guys aren’t bad.

Last edited by a moderator:

ShakyTheMohel

Is it 11:11 yet?
Reaction Score
He led the NFL in preseason games TD passes and no interceptions - for those who thought he had an incurable case of inaccuracy his freshman year in college. Granted, starters across the league don’t see much time - but it’s the NFL and the number 2 guys aren’t bad.
You really are exhausting. No one said he had 'an incurable case of innacuracy". But that when he was here....he wasn't good...or accurate. He wasn't even that great the one year he played at EKY. He had 11 TDS and 13 INTs. How he went from that TD/int ratio to Aaron Rodgers backup is pretty amazing.

Reaction Score
You really are exhausting. No one said he had 'an incurable case of innacuracy". But that when he was here....he wasn't good...or accurate. He wasn't even that great the one year he played at EKY. He had 11 TDS and 13 INTs. How he went from that TD/int ratio to Aaron Rodgers backup is pretty amazing.

Exactly. And that doesn't mean he will ever be a credible starter in the league.

Bonehead

'Ollie North of the Cesspool'
Reaction Score
As a Vikings fan, I really want to see ARod go down with a shoulder again this year.

Maybe 4 games against a real defense might clarify things for us.

C

Chief00

We blew it - coaching malfeasance. You guys just can’t get out of the weeds and see the big picture and opportunity.

Reaction Score
2013 True Frosh —played—burned redshirt
2014–Soph
2015-Jr
Transfer to EK
2016–Sits the year out
2017–Sr

Your redshirt year is available @ anytime... he used it in 2016. You have 5 years to play 4 (outside of medical/injury waiver).

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom