The new helmet | Page 4 | The Boneyard

The new helmet

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Wether or not you like the helmets we did something first and I like it for that but I am on board with the everything and think we are heading in a great direction. Next change conference....

Reaction Score
So at first I saw the front and I said "Oh...oh god no. No...what happened?"

Then I saw the back and I actually gasped. Involuntarily.

Why is the font so monstrously large? It's so incredibly clumsy. It reminds me of back in elementary school when my friend would write his name in huge capital letters on all of his nintendo games so no one would steal them.

Reaction Score
How has this whole unveiling happened and all we've seen are a couple terrible angles. How tough is it to get the front and side in the same frame?

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
there are 1000 things that influence where a kid goes. Chick-fil-et on campus, no chick filet. But I have never met a kid, mine, my sisters, their friends who said they chose their schools based on the uniforms. I've read I think one piece once about some kid who did it, but that was more an excuse than a reason. Just like the Chick-filet story. Is the uniform maybe one of those 1000 things? maybe with a few kids. But it is way behind location, relationship with the coach, recommendations from high school/aau coaches and parents, players, opportunity for playing time, pro prospects, and 990 other items. As I said it is maybe #578 if it is that high with some kids. Maybe with a few its as high as 463.
It's not about influencing the kid when he's a junior in high school, narrowing down his scholarship offers. It's about getting a 9 year old kid flipping channels on his dad's HDTV to stop flipping channels when UConn comes on. Later on when they become a HS star and the start getting recruiting letters, they'll get an envelope with the Husky logo on it, and they'll be a little more excited to open that letter than all the other ones. They'll be excited because of the helmet or logo they saw when they were 9, which led to them following the team, having favorite players, and start dreaming what it would be like to be 18 years old and putting on the uniform and helmet for their first home opener at Rentschler.

Reaction Score
Why are you arguing with yourself? No one has ever picked a school solely on unis, we get it. Moving past that : Are fresh new badass unis better than boring old unis that are... Boring? 10/10 times, yes. It builds enthusiasm. That's it. It's as simple as enthusiasm being a good thing.

This.

Reaction Score
The reason there is a matte/gloss contrast is that the logo is not painted on but a decal. My question is that since it seems that these helmets were designed to fit the Riddell Revo Speed style helmets stream lines, what and how will this look on the other model/style helmets?

Reaction Score
I have a feeling the matte/gloss contrast was done for a reason.

maybe in the sun it will give it a really cool look. i bet the logo will stand out quite a bit.

Not sure until we see it on the field.

Reaction Score
I try not to ever post anything negative on here, but I have to be honest I cannot stand these helmets. If you like em, fine. To me they look like XFL helmets with bumper stickers on the back. Awful.

I wish I didn't agree with you. My main issue isn't the front logo concept, but that it looks too retro given the new technology available. In the white helmet it looks OK, but in the darker the flat finish is just plain dull. Would love to see a gloss with some depth on the sides. And the large UCONN on the back way too forced and bumper-sticker like. Good initial concept but not enough flash for me or continuity given the bumper sticker back. I'll take some more time to digest when seen as a team but doubt much of a change in taste.

Reaction Score
Agreed. Truthfully, I like the boldness, but the whole thing seems too gimmicky to me. Too wild a design for this state. I can't see these being our mainstay helmets for the next 5-10 years or whatever. As an alternate, yes, but I bet at some point they go back to the traditional logo on the side as the primary design. Could be wrong though.

Two programs I would love to emulate that got noticed with gimmicks, Oregon and Boise State. Oregon was the originator of uniform gimmicks to get national attention and it has certainly worked for them. Those original uni's they had with the metal/chain link (or whatever it was) on the knee and shoulder were terrible IMO. Boise with the blue turf. But it works.

I remember back in the day I bought a Chicago Bears jacket because it looked cool with the bear claws going down the arm. Because of that jacket I began liking the team with no other connection other than I thought the jacket and Bears gear was cool looking. This is a way to grow the younger fan base because many young kids might buy UCONN apparel because they think it looks cool or the uni's are cool looking. Worked for me when I was young for a team I knew nothing about.

Reaction Score
Let me guess. You are old, from Connecticut, and hate change?

I'm digging all the changes. We are not nearly as boring now, that's for sure. Block C will always be remembered as will the old Jonathan. But it was time to freshen things up.

I was born in Connecticut, live in Connecticut and I am 71 and I like the new uniforms and helmets! So stop casting aspersions on the old ones. :)

CAHUSKY

UConn Class of 2013
Reaction Score
Yeah, it really doesn't. That's the most over rated thing in recruiting. Let's see, will I go to UConn or Alabama? Hmmm...alabama has really boring uniforms. Guess I'm off to Storrs!!! ROLF!the typical college kid or high school recruit will be excited if you show him a uniform with his name on it. the style can change 5 times in his 5 years. Yarwin ain't transferring because he likes Tulane's helmet better either.

Tell that to Oregon

Reaction Score
4ae6d776a84e11e2a45222000a9e06f4_7_medium.jpg
This is the new helmet? Ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha.... Oh man, someone got sold the Brooklyn Bridge!

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Nice find.
newhusky.png

Reaction Score

I like the blue, the white is a mistake. And not because of the white color. The white simply doesn't frame the eyes well, you don't know what you're looking at. Normally you expect to see stripes there on other helmets, but if you're not picturing husky eyes, you'll looking at a rohrshach. The blue is framed nicely because of the lack of contrast, and it works well.

Back to the drawing board on the white one.
LMFAO. Oh man these are hilarious.

Reaction Score
According to the designer who made the logo..
Brian Gundell ‏@bgundell 51m
Well damn, uconn changed my design for their new white football helmets. Navy lid still looks sweet
The UconnBlog has been going back and forth with Brian Gundell on twitter, so expect an blog post with the low down soon!

Reaction Score
Nice find.
newhusky.png

Like that top white helmet. I hope it pops up down the road at least as an alternate. Ugh. Did we really need 2 versions of that "Call of the Wild" helmet design and nothing else? *facepalm* Ah well.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
LoL at 'Call of the Wild' a book about a dog that gets the crap beat out of it until it starts to behave like a wolf.

Reaction Score
DOG SNOT UGLY...Ten years of much needed tridition down the drain. This should help us defeat Michigan with their out dated block M though!

Reaction Score
I have a feeling the matte/gloss contrast was done for a reason.

maybe in the sun it will give it a really cool look. i bet the logo will stand out quite a bit.

Not sure until we see it on the field.

Can't help but wonder if this is just a temporary thing because it's been a bit of a whirlwind situation and the final product will look more polished.

Reaction Score
Yeah, it really doesn't. That's the most over rated thing in recruiting. Let's see, will I go to UConn or Alabama? Hmmm...alabama has really boring uniforms. Guess I'm off to Storrs!!! ROLF!the typical college kid or high school recruit will be excited if you show him a uniform with his name on it. the style can change 5 times in his 5 years. Yarwin ain't transferring because he likes Tulane's helmet better either.

Because cooler uniforms won't be the deciding factor in where a recruit decides to go, it only may gain our program some attention we shouldn't do it. Well by that logic winning football games won't be the deciding factor in conference realignment, it may only make better conferences notice us we shouldn't do that either... Haha I knew there must have been a reason delone kept running the wildcat to kill drives last year

Reaction Score
DOG SNOT UGLY...Ten years of much needed tridition down the drain. This should help us defeat Michigan with their out dated block M though!

Ten year tradition is an oxy moron in college football. We don't have any tradition. Michigan doesn't have a block M on their helmets. They have a front facing decal similar to these helmets.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom