The new helmet

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
At first I was like:

pKnRM.gif

And then I was like:

3lFHq.gif

So who knows what I'll feel like tomorrow!

Reaction Score
Nice one Irish Loop....That sums up my reaction over the last hour or so.

They are growing on me.

Reaction Score
Every time you talk, you make it increasingly difficult not to say some incredibly mean things.
See I don't think you guys have ever actually known a high school kid who was recruited by a college team. I've had 2 kids who were recruited and helped my sister with hers 2 sons' recruitments. Uniforms rank somewhere around number 578 on the list that kids and parents care about. Parents tend to put academics higher than kids do. Both put coaches pretty high. Honestly, though, if you show them a uniform with their name on it, say, or even just one you say can have their name on it, they light up like a christmas tree. Look at Boyle. What factored into his decision? Where did uniforms place? I'll tell you. ZERO. How about when everyone was so excited about landing Drummond for hoops. The only part of the uniform that influenced him was the name UCONN. If uniforms were such a big deal, Penn State and Alabama are in deep trouble. Of course, we know they aren't.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
I think the gloss/matte on the blue is a legit beef.

Also, I wish they used more of the Husky and not just the cropped version.

In any event, those helmets are distinct to UConn now. That's a good thing.

Reaction Score
See I don't think you guys have ever actually known a high school kid who was recruited by a college team. I've had 2 kids who were recruited and helped my sister with hers 2 sons' recruitments. Uniforms rank somewhere around number 578 on the list that kids and parents care about. Parents tend to put academics higher than kids do. Both put coaches pretty high. Honestly, though, if you show them a uniform with their name on it, say, or even just one you say can have their name on it, they light up like a christmas tree. Look at Boyle. What factored into his decision? Where did uniforms place? I'll tell you. ZERO. How about when everyone was so excited about landing Drummond for hoops. The only part of the uniform that influenced him was the name UCONN. If uniforms were such a big deal, Penn State and Alabama are in deep trouble. Of course, we know they aren't.
Hahahahahahahahaha

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
They're literally the worst football helmets I've ever seen. Completely embarrassing.

I guess you missed any Maryland games the last two years. The matte black Arizona St. helmet is much worse. The "carbon fiber" Oregon helmet is much worse, and the chrome duck wing Oregon helmet is even worse. The copper Arizona helmet is awful. The grey WVU helmet is bad as well. The new two tone ND helmet with the Leprechan on the side is worse (especially given their history). Think about it, if ND needs a wild helmet to excite players....what does UConn need? While I will say they are little "modern" for me, they are fairly subdued for a unique/unusual helmet.

Reaction Score
See I don't think you guys have ever actually known a high school kid who was recruited by a college team. I've had 2 kids who were recruited and helped my sister with hers 2 sons' recruitments. Uniforms rank somewhere around number 578 on the list that kids and parents care about.

Your problem is that you assume because your kids have certain values, then all kids must have certain values. "Well this was my experience, therefore"... nothing. It's just anecdotal evidence. There are plenty of kids out there who care deeply about things like swag and uniforms.

This may strike you as a bit startling, but it turns out that there's actually quite a bit of variation in human personality.

Reaction Score
orly?

Miami-Maryland-Footba_lewi2edited.jpg

Honestly, I think Maryland's are better.

The problem is that I watched the video intro on the UConn site, and seeing them on a live player, where you don't have a top down view, you don't even know what you're looking at (with the white). I was like, what's that odd stuff on the front of the helmet?

Reaction Score
Your problem is that you assume because your kids have certain values, then all kids must have certain values. "Well this was my experience, therefore"... nothing. It's just anecdotal evidence. There are plenty of kids out there who care deeply about things like swag and uniforms.

This may strike you as a bit startling, but it turns out that there's actually quite a bit of variation in human personality.
there are 1000 things that influence where a kid goes. Chick-fil-et on campus, no chick filet. But I have never met a kid, mine, my sisters, their friends who said they chose their schools based on the uniforms. I've read I think one piece once about some kid who did it, but that was more an excuse than a reason. Just like the Chick-filet story. Is the uniform maybe one of those 1000 things? maybe with a few kids. But it is way behind location, relationship with the coach, recommendations from high school/aau coaches and parents, players, opportunity for playing time, pro prospects, and 990 other items. As I said it is maybe #578 if it is that high with some kids. Maybe with a few its as high as 463.

Reaction Score
Overall I like the uniforms and the helmets. I think Nike did a good job and it gave us something unique with the helmets that no one else has. In the future when teams copy the helmet design people may say something to the extent of "UConn had that first" which is great for the school in the sense that it gets people talking about us.

My only gripe with the helmet is like others have mentioned in regards to the matte and gloss combo. I agree that it looks unfinished b/c of it and would be better if they went all gloss. Gloss up the sides and I think they will look great.

Oh and since I'm listing my grievences I also am a little disappointed that they didn't get a alternate uniform. May have to wait till 2014 for that!

Reaction Score

I like the blue, the white is a mistake. And not because of the white color. The white simply doesn't frame the eyes well, you don't know what you're looking at. Normally you expect to see stripes there on other helmets, but if you're not picturing husky eyes, you'll looking at a rohrshach. The blue is framed nicely because of the lack of contrast, and it works well.

Back to the drawing board on the white one.

Reaction Score
I like the blue, the white is a mistake. And not because of the white color. The white simply doesn't frame the eyes well, you don't know what you're looking at. Normally you expect to see stripes there on other helmets, but if you're not picturing husky eyes, you'll looking at a rohrshach. The blue is framed nicely because of the lack of contrast, and it works well.

Back to the drawing board on the white one.

If you look at the husky logo on the helmet upside down, it looks like an eagle!

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
there are 1000 things that influence where a kid goes. Chick-fil-et on campus, no chick filet. But I have never met a kid, mine, my sisters, their friends who said they chose their schools based on the uniforms. I've read I think one piece once about some kid who did it, but that was more an excuse than a reason. Just like the Chick-filet story. Is the uniform maybe one of those 1000 things? maybe with a few kids. But it is way behind location, relationship with the coach, recommendations from high school/aau coaches and parents, players, opportunity for playing time, pro prospects, and 990 other items. As I said it is maybe #578 if it is that high with some kids. Maybe with a few its as high as 463.
Why are you arguing with yourself? No one has ever picked a school solely on unis, we get it. Moving past that : Are fresh new badass unis better than boring old unis that are... Boring? 10/10 times, yes. It builds enthusiasm. That's it. It's as simple as enthusiasm being a good thing.

Reaction Score
I like the helmet and uniforms. However, I think the helmet is likely to change every few years going forward because it seems that designers are really throwing tradition out the window lately. I won't be surprised if this helmet lasts only one season. It just seems like a trendy and temporary solution. Ultimately, I think we will have UCONN back on the helmet before long.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
Overall I like the uniforms and the helmets. I think Nike did a good job and it gave us something unique with the helmets that no one else has. In the future when teams copy the helmet design people may say something to the extent of "UConn had that first" which is great for the school in the sense that it gets people talking about us.

My only gripe with the helmet is like others have mentioned in regards to the matte and gloss combo. I agree that it looks unfinished b/c of it and would be better if they went all gloss. Gloss up the sides and I think they will look great.

Oh and since I'm listing my grievences I also am a little disappointed that they didn't get a alternate uniform. May have to wait till 2014 for that!

I like the matte-gloss contrast. Mixing matte and gloss makes it stand out. What I don't like is the different shades of blue on the blue helmet. That's why I think the white one looks so much better. The Husky is national flag blue and the helmet is navy.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
Why are you arguing with yourself? No one has ever picked a school solely on unis, we get it. Moving past that : Are fresh new badass unis better than boring old unis that are... Boring? 10/10 times, yes. It builds enthusiasm. That's it. It's as simple as enthusiasm being a good thing.

Hell forget recruits. If we are on TV and some non-Uconn fan kid sees us and says "those uniforms are badass" or "filthy" or some such, we get more attention. More eyeballs. People outside of Connecticut start realizing that UCONN plays FBS football. That's what this is about. We are freaking invisible right now.

Reaction Score
I like the helmet and uniforms. However, I think the helmet is likely to change every few years going forward because it seems that designers are really throwing tradition out the window lately. I won't be surprised if this helmet lasts only one season. It just seems like a trendy and temporary solution. Ultimately, I think we will have UCONN back on the helmet before long.

Agreed. Truthfully, I like the boldness, but the whole thing seems too gimmicky to me. Too wild a design for this state. I can't see these being our mainstay helmets for the next 5-10 years or whatever. As an alternate, yes, but I bet at some point they go back to the traditional logo on the side as the primary design. Could be wrong though.

ShakyTheMohel

Is it 11:11 yet?
Reaction Score

Irish Loop is spot on. For every story about FS's kids...there is my buddy who almost went to WVU over PSU because he liked West Virginia's uniforms.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom