Rumors of Maryland talking to B-10 | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Rumors of Maryland talking to B-10

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Rutgers has been in continual contact with b10 for awhile..since September..

What is your proof of this and what kind of contact are you talking about? Twitter does not count.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Not sure UVA is going anywhere without Vtech. It could be MD and Rutgers.
People think that UVA and Vtech are joined at the hip. They aren't. The whole Vtech to the ACC was the Virginia govenor being proactive to keep the Vtech from being in the postition that we currently occupy. If UVA thinks the B1G is in there best interest, they will leave little brother behind.

F

fortebleedsblue

I can give you 40,000,000 reasons why this will not happen anytime soon.

Reaction Score
I could see Maryland in the BiG. Couldn't see Virginia though. Totally different academic and social culture. And while that certainly isn't everything, it has been sort of important to the Big 10. In lots of respects, Virginia Tech is much closer to a Big 10 type school, though the Corps of Cadets thing is way more Southern than Midwestern, and I don't see them going obviously

Reaction Score
I can give you 40,000,000 reasons why this will not happen anytime soon.

darren rovell (@darrenrovell)
11/14/12, 9:47 PM
Under Armour CEO Kevin Plank cashing out 5% of his holdings over next year. Will be about $65M, w/10% going to his foundation.

Chump change.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
I could see Maryland in the BiG. Couldn't see Virginia though. Totally different academic and social culture. And while that certainly isn't everything, it has been sort of important to the Big 10. In lots of respects, Virginia Tech is much closer to a Big 10 type school, though the Corps of Cadets thing is way more Southern than Midwestern, and I don't see them going obviously

The B1G is not taking any southern schools. Period. Nor would Virgina want to go. They want to be paired at the hip with UNC. Maryland appeals because it is theoretically "north", is a big school, has a very big market and is AAU/solid academically. Athletically they bring little to the big sports, but the BTN could make use of soccer etc. If they leave it will not be with another ACC school, so the ACC will need to fill the slot.

MattMang23

Adding Nothing to the Conversation
Reaction Score
Those unis are awesome. Can't believe Mr. No-Names-On-The-Backs-Of-My-Team's-Jerseys coaches a school with such awesome threads.

Reaction Score
People think that UVA and Vtech are joined at the hip. They aren't. The whole Vtech to the ACC was the Virginia govenor being proactive to keep the Vtech from being in the postition that we currently occupy. If UVA thinks the B1G is in there best interest, they will leave little brother behind.

Yeah, but at 20 mil/year and guaranteed bowl access, are they really in any trouble with that?

Reaction Score
This again? The last round of conference realignment that added up to nothing wasn't enough?

Reaction Score
This again? The last round of conference realignment that added up to nothing wasn't enough?

Dude, with that Avatar I dont care if you tell us all to f'off as long as I get to look at it more often.

Reaction Score
I don't really see the upside for either party. That being said, nothing would surprise me anymore.

Reaction Score
Saw this on the Maryland board:

Rumors about Maryland switching conferences are doubly irresponsible because that's how Randy Edsall becomes a pandemic.

Jax Husky

Larry Taylor did nothing wrong
Reaction Score
I'll go on record saying I would be ecstatic about UConn being in the ACC (much moreso than the B1G). We fit culturally with Maryland,Syracuse, BC, Pitt, etc. much better than Ohio St., Michigan St., and Michigan. The hoops would be awesome.

Reaction Score
I'll go on record saying I would be ecstatic about UConn being in the ACC (much moreso than the B1G). We fit culturally with Maryland,Syracuse, BC, Pitt, etc. much better than Ohio St., Michigan St., and Michigan. The hoops would be awesome.
Jax, hoops would be great in the B1G also (MSU, Indiana, OSU, Purdue, Wisconsin, Wolverines). If we were offered along with either the Twerps or Rutgers, I'd jump in a heartbeat. Reasons:
1 Football-guaranteed sellouts of the Rent & its expansion much faster
2 Hoops-see above
3 Hockey-UConn has committed to the big time upgrade with acceptance to Hockey East. It's a wash to switch leagues .
4. Big Ten Network & its payout to individual schools-This is the trump card. The ACC has no answer for it. Listen to Tom Cruise howling in the background: "SHOW ME THE MONEY!"
5. Personal Opinion: I'm very leery about this "Big 5" nonsense. My suspicion is that should a major realignment occur (4 x 16), the SEC, B1G, & Big-12 will feast on the ACC, leaving a rotting carcass. I Wouldn't want UConn tied to those leftovers.

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
Of course we would jump at the invite to the Big ten without hesitation. I think we would jump to the ACC or big 12 too, with only the slightest hesitation. IMHO if mega conferences and the death of the ACC ever happen, they are still at least 10-15 years away, it would be worth upgrading to the ACC for that duration.

But, if no further moves are made (UMD, FSU, Clemson, etc. ) then UConn is stuck in the NNBE and will have to wait till the next TV contact to see what the landscape is like.

Sent from my SGH-T679 using Tapatalk 2

Jax Husky

Larry Taylor did nothing wrong
Reaction Score
I'd certainly jump at the chance to be in the B1G as well. I just would prefer to be in a conference based along the East Coast. I do not see UConn (and its fans) fitting in with the Chicago crowd.

Reaction Score

would you mind clarifying what you mean about a better cultural fit?

Reaction Score
I'd certainly jump at the chance to be in the B1G as well. I just would prefer to be in a conference based along the East Coast. I do not see UConn (and its fans) fitting in with the Chicago crowd.

Most of our peers are in the ACC. ACC road games are easier to get to, more of our alums are situated on the east coast.

Whenever we play ACC schools at their place, you see bigger UConn contingents.

I don't think the B1G is a bad fit, I just think the ACC is a better one.

Reaction Score
I've grown up despising the ACC, give me the B1G! Would love to see the faces on SU and BC fans if it ever happened.

Realistically though - think we are stuck in the NNBE for many more years.

Reaction Score

again....why?? why wouldnt they fit in with the Chicago fans?

Reaction Score
Most of our peers are in the ACC. ACC road games are easier to get to, more of our alums are situated on the east coast.

Whenever we play ACC schools at their place, you see bigger UConn contingents.

I don't think the B1G is a bad fit, I just think the ACC is a better one.

I agree brother...proximity for fans and players would be easier for ACC. i dont think B1G would be bad though... I just dont understand people saying "its not a good fit culturally" or ""our fans wouldnt fit in with Chicago crowd." that to me is a baseless statement. there is a HUGE uconn contingent at every DePaul game... not to mention the same with Marquette and ND (talking hoops here obviously).

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
I don't want to hear a word about proximity.

We're going to have conference games in Idaho, California and Texas.

The SEC is almost a better fit than the conference we're in.

jrazz12

BEast mode
Reaction Score
I don't want to hear a word about proximity.

We're going to have conference games in Idaho, California and Texas.

The SEC is almost a better fit than the conference we're in.

You heard it here first. UConn to the SEC

Nice job Fishy. How soon before that pops up on the WVU board?

And I'm just not sure about the SEC anymore. I mean they can't even get a team in the championship game anymore. Pass

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom