OT: Distinctive Female Singers | Page 5 | The Boneyard

OT: Distinctive Female Singers

Status
Not open for further replies.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Now if you want more modern and distinctive

Again with this "modern". Some of you must be really old. Chapman hasn't had a hit in 20 years. Give Me One Reason (1995). In fact she just released a "Best of" album last year. You're not "modern" when you release a Best Of album. ;)

If you want modern (.i.e. this year and coming), and very distinctive voice (like very distinctive). And yea she's 12 and yea she writes her own music.

Miss Grace Vanderwaal.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Again with this "modern". Some of you must be really old. Chapman hasn't had a hit in 20 years. Give Me One Reason (1995). In fact she just released a "Best of" album last year. You're not "modern" when you release a Best Of album. ;)

If you want modern (.i.e. this year and coming), and very distinctive voice (like very distinctive). And yea she's 12 and yea she writes her own music.

Miss Grace Vanderwaal.

We're big Grace Vanderwaal fans in the CL82 household. I have to admit to being a little conflicted about her win though. She seems to be a very nice 12 year old little girl. While I'm sure the $1,000,000 will be nice, I'm not sure having a Vegas show is the best thing for her.

Still I enjoyed her win.

Last edited:
Reaction Score

Miss Grace Vanderwaal.

she sorta sounds like Alanis Morissette who btw i haven't seen mentioned yet.

Reaction Score
We seem to get energized over music topics, so let's see what this does. There are singers who have popularity over decades, like Streisand and Dion, as well as others who pop up all the time.
This thread is asking for songstresses who have quite recognizable voices, though they may not be current.
I offer 3...

Jazz/soul artist from the 50's/60's who died too young, Dinah Washington

Country crossover lady with one big charter, Maria Muldaur

Lead singer of Fleetwood Mac and soloist too, Stevie Nicks

Your offerings?

This has been fun. I immediately thought of Billie Holiday but, as usual, it's not so simple. Are the chanteuses distinctive because of their voice or their association with a song(s), band, era, genre? Janis Joplin, Judy Garland, Nina Simone, Sarah Vaughn, Carmen McCrea, Ella, Joni mitchell, Judy Collins, Joan Armitrading, Bonnie Raitt, Madonna, Lesley Gore & more. BY has been helpful, but "Is that all there is?" Ms. Peggy Lee

And in celebrating today's weather, heretofore unmentioned Chicago-based denizen with distinction/cool, Patricia Barber from 1998s "Modern Cool".

Reaction Score
Annie Ross of Lambert, Hendricks & Ross. They the duplicated big band jazz tune solos and added lyrics and created a unique sound. Annie could really hit the high trumpet parts.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom