OT: Distinctive Female Singers | The Boneyard

OT: Distinctive Female Singers

Status
Not open for further replies.

wire chief

Testmeister
Reaction Score
We seem to get energized over music topics, so let's see what this does. There are singers who have popularity over decades, like Streisand and Dion, as well as others who pop up all the time.
This thread is asking for songstresses who have quite recognizable voices, though they may not be current.
I offer 3...

Jazz/soul artist from the 50's/60's who died too young, Dinah Washington

Country crossover lady with one big charter, Maria Muldaur

Lead singer of Fleetwood Mac and soloist too, Stevie Nicks
Stevie Nicks - Talk to Me (Official Music Video)

Your offerings?

pinotbear

Silly Ol' Bear
Reaction Score
Generally speaking, I LOVE women with "serious pipes", and don't like (as much) softer voices. However, the greatest exception to this is..

Now, under the "serious pipes" category, this gives me goose bumps..

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Great distinctive singer covering a more recent song in her inimitable style:

Great recent singer who is a throwback to Dolly, and even more so Loretta (her debut album Midwest Farmer's Daughter is in the running for my album of the year):

Aluminny69

Old Timer
Reaction Score
Karen Carpenter!! Arguably, one of the saddest stories of my lifetime. Such a beautiful distinctive voice, perfect pitch. I could listen to her sing almost anything. She must be underrated, since she has yet to be mentioned here. Listen to this, and tell me you are not moved...

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
I'm a big fan selfishly of the singers I grew up with. Those played around the house: Ella, Billie, Dinah Washington. Later on as a pre-teen I had the privilege to see Dionne Warwick and Dusty Springfield. However, when it comes to distinctive voices, this lady is at the top of the list:

Lastly, but not nearly in the least, THE distinctive voice of today is this lady. A lady who, if you have the chance you must see live, although getting tickets now will be getting harder and harder. As one reviewer said "her blues is bluesy, her swing swings, she spans every octave (from silky highs to growly lows to everything, every shade in between), with the full range of emotion...Oh, and she's 28 years old". I saw her Friday night at the Village Vanguard here in NY. The crowd was loud, star studded and boisterous. Here is a video of her when she was a mere 24 (she's actually only 27 now, not 28). The band is barely capable and not her current one. She's better now.

And try this from around the same time:

Cécile McLorin Salvant - Mean To Me (Live at Dizzy's)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom