OT: Distinctive Female Singers | Page 8 | The Boneyard

OT: Distinctive Female Singers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Agreed. Another reason why I love this country so much and the people in it.

I've been privileged in my life to see so many incredible performers, many at a very young age (Frankie Lymon when I was 3!). Literally close to 800. So many. Some of which backstage. One thing all great performers seem to share is the ability to relate, to connect to an audience, and the ability to "sell out" to them. By that I mean a willingness to give of themselves and leave it all out there. Sometimes to a fault, sometimes to their detriment. The old show business adage of "Always leave them wanting more" applies on a certain level, but after many performances these great performers frequently have nothing left to give.

Betty was original. By all rights part of the great jazz pantheon of great women singers, and the only one of that group I've seen live. However, if you want to see and hear someone who is the new Queen of Jazz, look no further than Cecile Mclorin Salvant. She is a true jazz singer with an extended range in frequency and dynamics. She is a great performer with a nice timber who sings to please herself and her audience. She is still only 27. If she comes to town near you move hell or high water to see her. You won't be disappointed.

I was concerned in 2004, but America, even though she needs constant maintenance, is "Easy to Love":

The first thing I did after I listened to the Salvant posting, was check her concert schedule, "Body and Soul" is an automatic for me. I follow Uconn WBB, did you expect any less from me? ;-)

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
I was concerned in 2004, but America, even though she needs constant maintenance, is "Easy to Love":

The first thing I did after I listened to the Salvant posting, was check her concert schedule, "Body and Soul" is an automatic for me. I follow Uconn WBB, did you expect any less from me? ;-)

Not at all.

In my house as I was growing up the three vocalists I heard every day were Billie, Ella and Diana Washington. From their bedroom my sisters, who were 10 and 11 years older than I, came something else. But the music from these women are now indelible in my mind.

I finally had a chance to see Cecile last month here in NYC. I've posted before my experience. I saw her at the Village Vanguard, that famous venue, which hardly ever has vocalists perform. The place was crowded and star studded. Getting a seat now may be difficult, so if you see a posting don't hesitate.

Reaction Score
Della Reese - was always impressed by her delivery in this song:

Reaction Score
Not at all.

I finally had a chance to see Cecile last month here in NYC. I've posted before my experience. I saw her at the Village Vanguard, that famous venue, which hardly ever has vocalists perform. The place was crowded and star studded. Getting a seat now may be difficult, so if you see a posting don't hesitate.

Was Aaron Diehl on piano? You posted in the BY concerning the show?

I've already listened to "For one to love" and "Womanchild" today. "Something's Coming" caught my attention and before I knew it I followed a link from Diehl's page to a video of Gershwin's Symphony in F with the NY Phil and now I've got Marcus Roberts and trio fronting it, quite a contrast. In an interview at the Phil, Diehl mentions that Cecile is in the audience and helped him prepare. I understand your enthusiasm and I can see why you posted "Body and Soul".

I've been tracking Badu. I was shocked at how long she has been at it and that I hadn't heard of her. Maybe because I've been listening to classical!? She played the Coney Island amphitheater this summer, I was tempted, but she tours a lot. I know I'll see both of these artists soon enough.

Gus Mahler

Popular Composer
Reaction Score
Gus- - -Barbra Steisand said at concerts when she's asked to sing it, she HATES that song, MY MAN, she calls it a VICTIM SONG! Though she gets requests at every concert to sing it! She sure sings the hell out of it! What a voice!
Yes, I think it's one of the great examples of singing the hell out of something.

I hope no one is thinking the pic is Streisand. Word is it's Jennifer Aniston channeling Streisand.

Reaction Score
Flora Purim with some of that exotic, distinctive, Brazilian sound:

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
Was Aaron Diehl on piano? You posted in the BY concerning the show?

I've already listened to "For one to love" and "Womanchild" today. "Something's Coming" caught my attention and before I knew it I followed a link from Diehl's page to a video of Gershwin's Symphony in F with the NY Phil and now I've got Marcus Roberts and trio fronting it, quite a contrast. In an interview at the Phil, Diehl mentions that Cecile is in the audience and helped him prepare. I understand your enthusiasm and I can see why you posted "Body and Soul".

I've been tracking Badu. I was shocked at how long she has been at it and that I hadn't heard of her. Maybe because I've been listening to classical!? She played the Coney Island amphitheater this summer, I was tempted, but she tours a lot. I know I'll see both of these artists soon enough.
Yeah, she was with Diehl and the Trio. Diehl is one formidable pianist and is very comfortable in the supportive role with Ms. Salvant. Honestly, Cecile has grown since "Womanchild" and her interpretive powers have grown exponentially. I'm having a real love affair with pianist Bill Charlap and his "Notes from New York". Bill has backed up Tony Bennett from time to time. Bill's a guy who listens to the melody and the lyric, and his lines show it. Another guy I listen to a lot is Brad Mehldau whose intellectual approach may be of putting to some. Both Mehldau and Charlap are incredible technicians however. I've also just purchased Jose James' "Yesterday I Had The Blues" which hasn't impressed me.

Last edited:

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
The thing about Ella
is that her pronunciation of vowels was strikingly original...hard to describe
And many of the lesser female singers of the 40's tried to imitate her pronunciation (Lady Day excepted)
So you listen to the 40's channel on Sirius, you'll hear Ella speak, over and over again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom