OT: Distinctive Female Singers | Page 7 | The Boneyard

OT: Distinctive Female Singers

Status
Not open for further replies.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Distinctive? Immediately identifiable? Powerful? Ladies & gentlemen of the jury, let me present...

also, in the best near-monotone tune I've ever heard...

and, someone already put up Whitney, Dolly, Stevie, and Norah.

This comes nowhere near exhausting the list, just some of the more recent ones.

Grace was the Queen of Acid Rock ... and quite a hottie.

Reaction Score
It's interesting to see people's definition of a distinctive voice. To my untrained ear, many of those mentioned are beautiful voices, but not really distinctive. There are, of course, exceptions. From my college days, take Judy Collins and Joni Mitchell. Joni's voice was completely distinctive, Judy's distinctively beautiful. Here's another totally distinctive female voice: Joan Armatrading.

There's been a few misses among the hits 8-(. In a particularly nice performance:

I can't post any Betty Carter, she really, really, really could only be heard live or I imagine if you were lucky enough to be a student. I guess that would be live, huh :(.

Someone that the players [immediately] know...

Reaction Score

Gus- - -Barbra Steisand said at concerts when she's asked to sing it, she HATES that song, MY MAN, she calls it a VICTIM SONG! Though she gets requests at every concert to sing it! She sure sings the hell out of it! What a voice!

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Rosa Lamoreaux. I used to have a fantasy about her singing an Italian menu to me.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
There's been a few misses among the hits 8-(. In a particularly nice performance:

I can't post any Betty Carter, she really, really, really could only be heard live or I imagine if you were lucky enough to be a student. I guess that would be live, huh :(.

Someone that the players [immediately] know...

Thanks for the Betty Carter mention. And thanks for posting my favorite pop song of the year by Rihanna and Calvin Haarris.

Reaction Score
Thanks for the Betty Carter mention. And thanks for posting my favorite pop song of the year by Rihanna and Calvin Haarris.

Everybody knows Ella, Sarah and Carmen and nobody knows Betty. I don't what exactly she was doing, but it was magnetic the times I was privileged to be in the audience. Thanks for the thanks, I couldn't let the thread pass until I mentioned her and I think just a couple more if somebody doesn't get n there first.

Don't know how Ms. Snow didn't get a mention (yet/until), but then again, she doesn't have a big portfolio just instantly recognizable. And of course there's her story. And how different is HipHop and Rihanna from the other two, go figure:confused:

JordyG

Reaction Score
Everybody knows Ella, Sarah and Carmen and nobody knows Betty. I don't what exactly she was doing, but it was magnetic the times I was privileged to be in the audience. Thanks for the thanks, I couldn't let the thread pass until I mentioned her and I think just a couple more if somebody doesn't get n there first.

Don't know how Ms. Snow didn't get a mention (yet/until), but then again, she doesn't have a big portfolio just instantly recognizable. And of course there's her story. And how different is HipHop and Rihanna from the other two, go figure:confused:
I also had the privilege to see her (for free) perform. She was dynamic, creative and expressive. I think perhaps some, perhaps many, at the time allowed her sexuality to obscure her talent. Although they weren't bathing beauties both Ella and Sarah were obviously girly girls and that seemed to sit well with the public.

I have an interesting jazz story about Betty. She was once sharing a bill with Coltrane and was scheduled to go on after his set. John was of course typically blowing away and his set went over by a large margine. The manager approached her and ask her to tell John to stop and get off the stage. Betty told him, "(Expletive), you (expletive) tell him. I ain't tellin' him (expletive)". Betty.

Reaction Score
I also had the privilege to see her (for free) perform. She was dynamic, creative and expressive. I think perhaps some, perhaps many, at the time allowed her sexuality to obscure her talent. Although they weren't bathing beauties both Ella and Sarah were obviously girly girls and that seemed to sit well with the public.

I have an interesting jazz story about Betty. She was once sharing a bill with Coltrane and was scheduled to go on after his set. John was of course typically blowing away and his set went over by a large margine. The manager approached her and ask her to tell John to stop and get off the stage. Betty told him, "(Expletive), you (expletive) tell him. I ain't tellin' him (expletive)". Betty.

I never saw Coltrane. I'm a little jealous. OK, a lot ;-)

I don't know anything about Betty's personal life. The first time I saw her was at SPAC, Saratoga Performing Arts Center, like Tanglewood, outdoor amphitheater, large grounds. I recall walking around the perimeter, there were a lot of acts and I didn't know who she was, and just being drawn gradually but inexorably to my seat by her voice. Absolute original. I knew the songs she would be improvising, couldn't name 'em.

Do you realize we're talking Betty Carter and Rhianna in the same universe? I would say eclectic works here.

Reaction Score
Esther Satterfield, singing lead on this beautiful Chuck Mangione song:

JordyG

Reaction Score
I never saw Coltrane. I'm a little jealous. OK, a lot ;-)

I don't know anything about Betty's personal life. The first time I saw her was at SPAC, Saratoga Performing Arts Center, like Tanglewood, outdoor amphitheater, large grounds. I recall walking around the perimeter, there were a lot of acts and I didn't know who she was, and just being drawn gradually but inexorably to my seat by her voice. Absolute original. I knew the songs she would be improvising, couldn't name 'em.

Do you realize we're talking Betty Carter and Rhianna in the same universe? I would say eclectic works here.
Agreed. Another reason why I love this country so much and the people in it.

I've been privileged in my life to see so many incredible performers, many at a very young age (Frankie Lymon when I was 3!). Literally close to 800. So many. Some of which backstage. One thing all great performers seem to share is the ability to relate, to connect to an audience, and the ability to "sell out" to them. By that I mean a willingness to give of themselves and leave it all out there. Sometimes to a fault, sometimes to their detriment. The old show business adage of "Always leave them wanting more" applies on a certain level, but after many performances these great performers frequently have nothing left to give.

Betty was original. By all rights part of the great jazz pantheon of great women singers, and the only one of that group I've seen live. However, if you want to see and hear someone who is the new Queen of Jazz, look no further than Cecile Mclorin Salvant. She is a true jazz singer with an extended range in frequency and dynamics. She is a great performer with a nice timber who sings to please herself and her audience. She is still only 27. If she comes to town near you move hell or high water to see her. You won't be disappointed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom