OT: Distinctive Female Singers | Page 3 | The Boneyard

OT: Distinctive Female Singers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
These OT's are great. I run to my vaults and find stuff I haven't listened to in decades and then there is the 'discover' produced by listening to all y'alls favorites. Well done!

Very distinctive New Yorker and these are her songs:

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
I've seen some of her live performances on video and admit she is very talented, and a welcome addition to the scene these last few years.

The real problem for me when it comes to jazz vocalists is that SV spoiled me for all others. :rolleyes: Not kidding!
I love SV but I'm a much bigger Ella fan. If you get a chance, check out the Branford Marsalis and Kurt Ellis album "Upward Spiral". By the way, I'm going to see Fred Hersch and Chris Potter tonight in an intimate setting. One of the perks of NYC.

JRRRJ

Chief Didacticist
Reaction Score
Distinctive? Immediately identifiable? Powerful? Ladies & gentlemen of the jury, let me present...

also, in the best near-monotone tune I've ever heard...

and, someone already put up Whitney, Dolly, Stevie, and Norah.

This comes nowhere near exhausting the list, just some of the more recent ones.

Reaction Score
I saw Kelly Clarkson. Surprisingly she opened for Clay Aiken. Who? Right. Not even close as to the best vocalist I ever heard. She's not from my era, and I don't have any of her records. Sarah Vaughn by far is the best vocalist I've ever heard. The mic never got near her mouth, and yet her voice was so powerful, so controlled that I was blown away. Sassy, you're the best I've ever seen by far.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Distinctive? Immediately identifiable? Powerful? Ladies & gentlemen of the jury, let me present...

also, in the best near-monotone tune I've ever heard...

and, someone already put up Whitney, Dolly, Stevie, and Norah.

This comes nowhere near exhausting the list, just some of the more recent ones.

While I like your list, I don't think I would call it "more recent ones".

I'll give you Jones, but Whitney (died in 2012), Parton (70), Nicks (68) and Slick (76) aren't what I'd call recent. :eek: ;)

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
We seem to get energized over music topics, so let's see what this does. There are singers who have popularity over decades, like Streisand and Dion, as well as others who pop up all the time.
This thread is asking for songstresses who have quite recognizable voices, though they may not be current.
I offer 3...

Jazz/soul artist from the 50's/60's who died too young, Dinah Washington

Country crossover lady with one big charter, Maria Muldaur

Lead singer of Fleetwood Mac and soloist too, Stevie Nicks
Stevie Nicks - Talk to Me (Official Music Video)

Your offerings?

My favorite 4 are "the "queen", Dinah Washington, Whitney Houston, the "fancy miss Nancy", Nancy Wilson, and the incomparable Karen Carpenter. With an Honorable mention to the sassy one, Sarah Vaughn, Brenda Lee, and Anne Murry.

Reaction Score
Grace's distinctive voice never sounded better IMO than on this song.

Her weaving vocal interplay with fellow lead singer Marty Balin is just exquisite:

Reaction Score
There's also Yma Sumac, who coincidentally had a Google Doodle the other day. Freakish vocal range.

Reaction Score
I hadn't heard much of Sarah Vaughn but you can bet I'm going to check out her music for sure.

Karen Carpenter (very very underrated IMO), Ella Fitzgerald (she & Karen Carpenter did a duet "This Masquerade" on the last Carpenters tv special [thank you CPTV!], I'd love to hear the entire thing), Anne Murray (another underrated voice IMHO her material for the most part wasn't up to her vocal standard), Janis Joplin and yes Cyndi Lauper with that raspy NYC voice of hers.

Reaction Score
Laura Nyro, her voice is so gorgeous on this song:

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
Agree with many of the names I know. Although I couldn't play it now, thanks for the reminder of the group called Renaissance. Someone I knew liked them, and the only thing I remember is a distinctive voice. I recently had 2 opportunities to see Judy Collins perform and thought her voice quite distinctive.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom