OT: Distinctive Female Singers | Page 2 | The Boneyard

OT: Distinctive Female Singers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
There was this whole genre of female vocalists that were/are very talented...Tori Amos, Natalie Merchant(with or without 10000Maniacs) and sarah mcLaughlin.....but I'm with kib, the most distinctive female vocalist ever, IMO, was Janis Joplin

Reaction Score
Generally speaking, I LOVE women with "serious pipes", and don't like (as much) softer voices. However, the greatest exception to this is..

Now, under the "serious pipes" category, this gives me goose bumps..

Were you checking my CD's?? Great list. Patsy Cline, probably unknown by most, was big time inCountry. She lived 20 miles from here in Elkton Va.. They are proud of their own. She made Honky Tonk a "word"..

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
With very few exceptions, this wonderful galaxy of distinctive female vocalists has understandably focused on American singers. Permit me to add a uniquely distinctive Gallic voice: Edith Piaf, the French "Sparrow."
A far better songstress than her American counterpart Judy Garland. And never the same woman after the death of one of the great forgotten welterweight champions Marcel Cerdan.

Reaction Score

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
One last entry: Marni Nixon. That was her voice, not Deborah Kerr's, that you heard in "The King and I." Marni sang Maria's songs in "West Side Story," not Natalie Wood. Finally, she was Eliza Doolittle's voice (for Aubrey Hepburn) in "My Fair Lady." Make that three distinctive voices (Colonial British, Hispanic-American, and Cockney morphing to elegant English) -- and denied credit on movie screens or album covers.:(

Reaction Score
Yvonne Elliman, Rickie Lee Jones, Sarah Vaughn, Miranda Lambert, Edie Brickell, Allison Moorer, Norah Jones, Mindy McCready, Alanis Morissette, Tori Amos and Pink.

VAMike23

The Virginian
Reaction Score
I'm a big fan selfishly of the singers I grew up with. Those played around the house: Ella, Billie, Dinah Washington. Later on as a pre-teen I had the privilege to see Dionne Warwick and Dusty Springfield. However, when it comes to distinctive voices, this lady is at the top of the list:

SLV was indeed The Divine One - or the *Devine* One as she would have it. (She used that spelling herself, just as a way of playfully putting her own spin on things, as she so often did.)

I can never decide on a favorite Sarah Vaughan track - but I often return to this one for sheer vocal color:

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
For a little more swing ...but still very 'cool'

Often imitated, never duplicated. However, check out Cecile if she comes to your town. You won't be disappointed.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
Many distinctive and popular. Connie Francis, Joan Baez, Mary Travers (saw her and met her. impressive person. Ella Fitzgerald saw her. Kelly Clarkson, best singer in person I ever heard. Melissa Manchester. Mama Cass. Grace Slick. All distinctive and instantly recognizable. So many others.

Reaction Score
We seem to get energized over music topics, so let's see what this does. There are singers who have popularity over decades, like Streisand and Dion, as well as others who pop up all the time.
This thread is asking for songstresses who have quite recognizable voices, though they may not be current.
I offer 3...

Jazz/soul artist from the 50's/60's who died too young, Dinah Washington

Country crossover lady with one big charter, Maria Muldaur

Lead singer of Fleetwood Mac and soloist too, Stevie Nicks
Stevie Nicks - Talk to Me (Official Music Video)

Your offerings?

Saw her open for Billy Joel at Carnige Hall in NYC in maybe 1977 or 1978. Great show and great performances by both of them. Billy came on and said that his dad told him if you get to play at Carnige hall you have really made it. What an understatement.

Reaction Score
I thought the topic was most distinctive female vocalist and then it seemed to become most recognizable. As far as distinctive, there have been a few mentioned but no one mentioned one of the most distinctive I've ever heard and that was Timi Yuro. She had a couple of decent hits in the 60's but if you followed her on Youtube or was a fan, she had some really nice stuff and there was absolutely no one that sounded even remotely close to her. Most people at the time thought she was black and some thought she was a man but I loved a bunch of her stuff. I'm not good at bringing things to a post but try her and I think you might appreciate her stuff. Her biggest hit was "I'm so hurt" but she had a bunch of other stuff that was great.

VAMike23

The Virginian
Reaction Score
Often imitated, never duplicated. However, check out Cecile if she comes to your town. You won't be disappointed.

I've seen some of her live performances on video and admit she is very talented, and a welcome addition to the scene these last few years.

The real problem for me when it comes to jazz vocalists is that SV spoiled me for all others. :rolleyes: Not kidding!

wire chief

Testmeister
Reaction Score
I thought the topic was most distinctive female vocalist and then it seemed to become most recognizable. As far as distinctive, there have been a few mentioned but no one mentioned one of the most distinctive I've ever heard and that was Timi Yuro. She had a couple of decent hits in the 60's but if you followed her on Youtube or was a fan, she had some really nice stuff and there was absolutely no one that sounded even remotely close to her. Most people at the time thought she was black and some thought she was a man but I loved a bunch of her stuff. I'm not good at bringing things to a post but try her and I think you might appreciate her stuff. Her biggest hit was "I'm so hurt" but she had a bunch of other stuff that was great.

Sounds like when you listened to her she could, for you, make the world go away.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Amy Winehouse is one of my all time favorites and Joplin's Summertime is a master work, so I wholeheartedly agree with both of those.

Let me add one more:

I can't think of another singer who can do a better version of a Parton song that Dolly Parton. Houston had a amazing voice, strong and true.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SeaDr

Top Bottom