OT: Cam Newton | Page 10 | The Boneyard

OT: Cam Newton

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Ahhh. Now it's "refreshing". Got it. Rub it in when you win, pout and stamp your feet when you lose. Refreshing.
I really enjoy how he angers a guy like you, it's just so predictable that you would be the boneyard member who is most up in arms. You must have loved it when Peyton left the other Superbowl before the game was over and didn't congratulate any of the opposition, or him shilling for Gatorade, Budweiser and kissing Papa John on the field.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
I really enjoy how he angers a guy like you, it's just so predictable that you would be the boneyard member who is most up in arms. You must have loved it when Peyton left the other Superbowl before the game was over and didn't congratulate any of the opposition, or him shilling for Gatorade, Budweiser and kissing Papa John on the field.

I like a different attitude as much as anyone, especially in today's world of corporate (read: boring) stars like Jeter, Mannings and yes (gasp) Brady. Give me the Pedros of the world. I want to be entertained.

That said, if you are going to pump your chest and revel in your own glory when you succeed, you've got to be a man about taking your own medicine when you lose or fail. You want the good, you've got to accept the bad.

Reaction Score
The guy appears to need a mentor or someone to help him through this funky situation. He's not making it better even if he's honest in his answers. However he's not saying regrettable things but things not creating resolution or public satisfaction.

The easy or conventional way would be to apologize and admit fault (which he did in a way). I suspect this whole episode including the Playoff weeks will be a teachable moment. If not then all of the negativity will worsen. Its up to him. Ego and pride are a bitcch to maintain and control especially during and after competitive moments. Muhammad Ali is a great example for those old enough to remember his public issues and subsequent criticisms.

With that said, it speaks to the character of the athlete and not necessarily the person. Sometimes fans don't and can't disconnect the two. Like entertainers or politicians, many public figures are one way with the uniform/microphone/camera and could be totally different privately. For example he's done a lot of charitable events with no public cameras or pre-announcements. This thread hopefully is about Cam 'the football player', meaning during the season and not off season. Hopefully all of this will die down and be forgotten or at least diminished, its not that important in the overall scheme of things. And if he's the new face of the NFL its not going to tarnish the league whatsoever, in fact the league will benefit from having him at top, he's certainly a magnate as this 8+ page thread indicates.

I will end all of this to say Cam is Cam and not a phony, good or bad, that I do respect.

Reaction Score

If you want to continue to throw labels around and turn it into a personal critique (of someone you have never met), go ahead.

I didn't care that Peyton Manning shilled out for his sponsors. Just like I didn't care when BLACK ATHLETE MARSHAWN LYNCH wore his Beast Mode gear during media day and it all sold out immediately. Just like I don't care when NASCAR drivers step out of their car wearing a jumpsuit with 30 different sponsors. Or when the Red Sox allow Jimmy Fallon and Drew Barrymore to film a scene from "Fever Pitch" in the background of their first World Series win in 80-something years. Or when EVERY MVP FOR YEARS says they're "goin' to Disneyland".

I don't like Cam Newton's attitude. He has a sense of entitlement that goes back to his days in college. I don't like Johnny Manziel's attitude either. Or an entertainer like Justin Bieber. I don't care for people who feel they're above the rules or that they can do whatever they want because they happen to have a marketable skill.

Reaction Score
Seeing Cecil Newton on First Take made it very easy for me to route against the Panthers.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
Or when the Red Sox allow Jimmy Fallon and Drew Barrymore to film a scene from "Fever Pitch" in the background of their first World Series win in 80-something years.

As a Red Sox fan, I loathed that one. Get off our celebratory lawn!

Reaction Score
If you want to continue to throw labels around and turn it into a personal critique (of someone you have never met), go ahead.

I didn't care that Peyton Manning shilled out for his sponsors. Just like I didn't care when BLACK ATHLETE MARSHAWN LYNCH wore his Beast Mode gear during media day and it all sold out immediately. Just like I don't care when NASCAR drivers step out of their car wearing a jumpsuit with 30 different sponsors. Or when the Red Sox allow Jimmy Fallon and Drew Barrymore to film a scene from "Fever Pitch" in the background of their first World Series win in 80-something years. Or when EVERY MVP FOR YEARS says they're "goin' to Disneyland".

I don't like Cam Newton's attitude. He has a sense of entitlement that goes back to his days in college. I don't like Johnny Manziel's attitude either. Or an entertainer like Justin Bieber. I don't care for people who feel they're above the rules or that they can do whatever they want because they happen to have a marketable skill.
Okay you have no problem with athletes being shills for corporations but you failed to answer how you felt about Peyton Manning walking off the field of one of his losing Super Bowls before the game was over and not congratulating his opponent? Manning certainly isn't the first to do this but I find it to be poor sportsmanship and if Cam Newton did it I'm pretty sure you would be frothing at the mouth. Interesting that you compare Manziel to Newton, Manziel is in the news for repeatedly beating up his girlfriend and threatening to kill her, Cam didn't answer enough reporter questions to satisfy you. What rules does Cam Newton feel he is above? Guy can't ever win in your book, you bashed him for all his charity work for chrissakes.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
On a lighter note, here's some funny Conan satire RE the presser:

Reaction Score
Okay you have no problem with athletes being shills for corporations but you failed to answer how you felt about Peyton Manning walking off the field of one of his losing Super Bowls before the game was over and not congratulating his opponent? Manning certainly isn't the first to do this but I find it to be poor sportsmanship and if Cam Newton did it I'm pretty sure you would be frothing at the mouth. Interesting that you compare Manziel to Newton, Manziel is in the news for repeatedly beating up his girlfriend and threatening to kill her, Cam didn't answer enough reporter questions to satisfy you. What rules does Cam Newton feel he is above? Guy can't ever win in your book, you bashed him for all his charity work for chrissakes.

Honestly, I don't remember hearing anything about Peyton Manning walking off the field. I don't know anything about it and can't really comment. If it's as raw and blatant as you paint it to be, I think it sounds like a pretty thing to do. And I'd also probably temper it knowing that he's been a pretty gracious loser and interview, even through some pretty rough postseason exits.

Cam Newton pouted from the second he came into the NFL, then after mugging it up all season and in particular the last few weeks, he acted like a baby. And I'm not the only one that thinks so. And two days later, he basically comes out and says "Yeah. I acted like a baby. When I lose? I act like a baby. Deal with it." And that's the face of the new NFL. That's their most "valuable" player. And I'm not sure why it's so hard for understand why I don't like it.

Reaction Score
I watched the video and read a few articles on Manning leaving the field without shaking Brees' hand. His comments were:

“The stage is being set up for the celebration and it was time for the Saints to celebrate at midfield,” Manning said. “They deserved the moment.”

and

For the record, Peyton did call Brees later in the night. Said the Saints quarterback: "Peyton's a class guy."

From the video, it looked bad. He (and Reggie Wayne) both left and it looked bad. I guess, for me? It just doesn't ring out as loudly because Manning didn't mug it up so blatantly and abrasively all season long leading up to it. Newton makes it easier to hate him for that reason. Oh, and when it came to the press conference in 2010, here's how Manning handled himself.

Reaction Score
For the record, Peyton did call Brees later in the night. Said the Saints quarterback: "Peyton's a class guy."
And Peyton Manning called Cam Newton “extremely humble” and nothing but gracious to him following the game. So are you okay with it now?

http://www.si.com/nfl/2016/02/08/super-bowl-50-broncos-panthers-cam-newton-peyton-manning-humble

Your post also shows that Peyton was terrible in handling his first SB loss but very gracious in defeat in his second. So I guess he learned from it. So can Cam.

How about Belicheck on numerous times leaving the field without shaking hands and being a sore loser? (Over/under of 15.5 posts of Upstarter denying/defending/rationalizing/blaming Goodell for BB's behavior) Including the last SB he lost.

Cam was at least man enough to shake hands with his fellow competitors and congratulate them, something BB and Peyton have not been man enough to do in the past.

I am not a fan of Cam or condoning the way he acted, but I just hope people blasted Peyton and BB for their immature behavior in defeat as well.

Reaction Score
I watched the video and read a few articles on Manning leaving the field without shaking Brees' hand. His comments were:

“The stage is being set up for the celebration and it was time for the Saints to celebrate at midfield,” Manning said. “They deserved the moment.”

and

From the video, it looked bad. He (and Reggie Wayne) both left and it looked bad. I guess, for me? It just doesn't ring out as loudly because Manning didn't mug it up so blatantly and abrasively all season long leading up to it. Newton makes it easier to hate him for that reason. Oh, and when it came to the press conference in 2010, here's how Manning handled himself.

So Manning gets the benefit of the doubt for walking off the field before the game was over and not shaking hands with the opponent but Newton doesn't get the benefit of the doubt when he walked away from reporters after having to listen to Chris Harris saying he can't throw the ball. Newton went right over to Manning to congratulate him and Manning says how incredibly gracious he was, yet you and so many others focus on him leaving the press conference. I guess I just don't understand why this has become the big story. Peyton had HGH sent to his house and sent goons posing as cops to the journalist's house who exposed the story to intimidate him and we are talking about what a bad guy Cam Newton is? Seems we have two superstars being held to very different standards.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
Was listening to Joe D and Gresh coming home tonite
Gresh said that Cam was asked about not going after the fumble
Cam responded - "IT WAS A BUSINESS DECISION"
Really?????
I was only questioning Cam's demeanor and decision making
NOW I question his character
Would go to war with this guy? Not me

Reaction Score
Was listening to Joe D and Gresh coming home tonite
Gresh said that Cam was asked about not going after the fumble
Cam responded - "IT WAS A BUSINESS DECISION"
Really?????
I was only questioning Cam's demeanor and decision making
NOW I question his character
Would go to war with this guy? Not me
If he actually said that, he's a huge pussbag.

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
Well seeing as he has won a Heisman, NC, and just lead a team with no offense besides him to a SB. So you might not but his teammates who were screaming "We love Cam" during his interview this morning. Of course it's perspective but I don't mind the attitude Cam has if that's his motivation for continuing to try and be great. If his one character flaw is he doesn't like to lose and isn't going to react well if he does then I honestly don't think it's that big of a deal. Especially when it's just him pouting and not him calling out teammates and causing drama.

Athlete94

UCONNGRD
Reaction Score
All pro QBs have pressure on them. Him being black has nothing to do with it. He's not Rosa Parks. He's a guy who gets paid multi-millions to throw a football and get idolized (and vilified) like a god. I don't think the presser was a big deal personally. Hopefully, he'll learn from his professional misstep.

And I wouldn't be throwing Mike Vick out there in this conversation. Can o' worms there.
Yeah on Mike Vick, I'll strike that from the record. I'm not the one who started the black QB dialogue, was purely making a point on what someone saying he was a Black run first QB bla blah... And I was saying bringing race in this should be irrelevant.

Athlete94

UCONNGRD
Reaction Score
Why? You said that unless one is black and playing at the NFL level, we can't understand the pressure he is under.
I said he is not exactly Jackie Robinson or Hank Aaron. They had pressure. Their lives were threatened. They had to face daily overt and covert racism. They didn't get paid millions of dollars.

I also said the his offense (as in transgression) was minor.
One problem with that analogy, they were baseball players, and yes went through a lot in a different era, the pressures are different, and doesn't make sense when comparing to how compartmentalized black QBs are in any decade. Automatically the general public assumes/believes a black person can't be a QB all they do is run, that is BS. Yes, you are right, unless you are black, you or anyone else will never understand or relate to what CAM or any athlete or non athlete goes through on a daily basis and you do not have to be Jackie Robinson, Hank Aaron, Arthur Ashe... Name anyone to understand that. I am sorry there is no debating that. If you do not like Cam, that is fine and your prerogative, but do not assume he or anyone can't QB or is a run first QB because he is black, that is pure ignorance.

Reaction Score
Olsen and Stewart are really good players, the whole "he has no weapons" sounds like Patriot BS and excuses.

Well seeing as he has won a Heisman, NC, and just lead a team with no offense besides him to a SB. So you might not but his teammates who were screaming "We love Cam" during his interview this morning. Of course it's perspective but I don't mind the attitude Cam has if that's his motivation for continuing to try and be great. If his one character flaw is he doesn't like to lose and isn't going to react well if he does then I honestly don't think it's that big of a deal. Especially when it's just him pouting and not him calling out teammates and causing drama.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
Olsen and Stewart are really good players, the whole "he has no weapons" sounds like Patriot BS and excuses.

Stewart was injured early and it slowed him. Olsen is great, but he's one man. Where are all these weapons you are talking about.

And no Patriots fan would say Brady has no weapons. He didn't have any when Gronk Amendola and Edelman were out. That's just a fact.

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
Jonathan Stewart has one season where he eclipsed 1,000 yards rushing and it wasn't this year. He's average at best. Cam not only had more yards per carry than him, he also scored 4 more rushing TDs and had only about 300 less rushing yards than Stewart.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
Are people really disputing that Cam's receivers were a horror show on Sunday?

It's my claim that they were a horror show all season, and Sunday simply followed suit.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom