OT: Best bar in CT | Page 7 | The Boneyard

OT: Best bar in CT

Reaction Score
I know Deepster set this up as best bar in CT, but the thread has veered off to the netherlands occasionally.

The best bar I've visited more times than I can remember is CBGB's. Here's the thing. Long narrow room with a huge bar to the right with cheap beer. A couple of my friends bar tendered. Small stage at the back with the absolute best sound system in NYC at the time, loud, crisp, amazing.

Bonus points for the best men's room.
cbgb2.jpg

Reaction Score
My favorite. Go there often. Seacrets is more than a bar, it’s an entire complex. Just wondering since your from Ma. Ever go to Pufferbellies back in the John Morgan days?

Oh man yeah Pufferbellies how could one forget the Morgan days and the pickens. wow good call dad

Reaction Score
I'm over 60; I've been walking or driving by there since 1956. I'll have to make my first visit and see what all the fuss is about.
You shan’t be disappointed. Get the meatloaf.

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
I'm over 60; I've been walking or driving by there since 1956. I'll have to make my first visit and see what all the fuss is about.
It’s a big let down as far as the bar area.

Reaction Score
Shower in beer you mean right? To re-create the experience. I recall the rugby team drinking out of a boot. Ted's would fill the boot for free. So one guy was standing in the muck in nothing but a sock on one foot.
I Think that was a friend of mine named SteveK that pertected orvstarted that in spring of 84, I can still see him head in hands "I drank out of my boot"

Reaction Score
Hartford - The Comet, Wednesday nights w/ Winston the British Ambassador DJing

Coffee Shop Bar Union Square NYC
Merc Bar

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
Anybody remember the Brickyard on Allyn Street? I designed that place back around '94. Three level bar with a jazz bar, dance club and top level sports bar.

Soft opening on a Friday night. The owners were freaked when they left for home at 2AM with $25,000 cash in their pockets. Had a nice run.
From the sounds of it I’m assuming this is what eventually became Upper on the Rocks, now defunct due to some shootings. I think Black Bear across the street eventually closed too. Are any bars left on Allyn St? Used to be a big spot in my early 20s 2009-2012ish.

Reaction Score
From the sounds of it I’m assuming this is what eventually became Upper on the Rocks, now defunct due to some shootings. I think Black Bear across the street eventually closed too. Are any bars left on Allyn St? Used to be a big spot in my early 20s 2009-2012ish.
No the Brickyard's last incarnation was Pyur in the middle of Allyn Street. And Black Bear was Jim Calhoun's Coach's starting in "93. Had a nice run.

Reaction Score
No the Brickyard's last incarnation was Pyur in the middle of Allyn Street. And Black Bear was Jim Calhoun's Coach's starting in "93. Had a nice run.

There were 2 dance bars a short distance from each other, one of them being in Coach's before JC bought it. What were their names, spent a few Thursday nights there with some buddies who were huge in the car dealership scene those guys lived there?

Reaction Score
There were 2 dance bars a short distance from each other, one of them being in Coach's before JC bought it. What were their names, spent a few Thursday nights there with some buddies who were huge in the car dealership scene those guys lived there?
Before Coach's it was Arthur's, short lived. Named after the old man owner Arthur Laske. Short lived. Coach's start-up was spear-headed by Apostle Laske, Arthurs son.

I can't remember the name before Arthur's but I might be able to find out with my old-timey contacts.

Reaction Score
Any dive bar list must include the Spigot.
Met my wife of 21 years there. Almost got killed by this big scary guy when I beat him at darts and he accused me of cheating. Great beer fridge when most places were Bud/Miller/Coors.

Liked Hooligans at Rt.32/S. Eagleville. Perfect place to wind down after a night of Ted's mobs with darts and $1.50 Nasty Knicks.

Reaction Score
Before Coach's it was Arthur's, short lived. Named after the old man owner Arthur Laske. Short lived. Coach's start-up was spear-headed by Apostle Laske, Arthurs son.

I can't remember the name before Arthur's but I might be able to find out with my old-timey contacts.

Yeah more of the disco era prior.

Reaction Score
Other notable non-CT bars that make my list:

1) Cat's Eye Pub - Fells Pt, Baltimore, MD
2) The Horse You Came In On - Fells Pt, Baltimore, MD
3) Pat O'Brien's - New Orleans -- Cliche for sure, but an American icon
4) Sunset Beach Bar - at the end of a runway in St Maarten
5) Gritty McDuff's - Portland, ME - One of my favorite spots to just sit and have a few good beers
6) Biddy Early's - Boston, MA - Maybe the diviest of dive bars. Cash only.
7) The Campbell - Grand Central Terminal, NYC - A hidden bar in GCT, really old school and amazing to see.

Reaction Score
Other notable non-CT bars that make my list:

1) Cat's Eye Pub - Fells Pt, Baltimore, MD
2) The Horse You Came In On - Fells Pt, Baltimore, MD
3) Pat O'Brien's - New Orleans -- Cliche for sure, but an American icon
4) Sunset Beach Bar - at the end of a runway in St Maarten
5) Gritty McDuff's - Portland, ME - One of my favorite spots to just sit and have a few good beers
6) Biddy Early's - Boston, MA - Maybe the diviest of dive bars. Cash only.
7) The Campbell - Grand Central Terminal, NYC - A hidden bar in GCT, really old school and amazing to see.
In St Maarten my fav is Rosie's Grill on Mullet Bay. Cheap beers and awesome wings and ribs. It's also one of my favorite beaches. Gotta check out Biddy Early's.

McLovin

Gangstas, what's up?
Reaction Score
There are a ton of good bars in Stamford that are all fun to go to! Hudsons, Brickhouse, Bar BQ, etc.

Bar Q closed like 3 years ago. RIP Bar Q. Was a great spot.

crazyUCfan23

Long live the Civil ConFLiCT
Reaction Score
Bar Q closed like 3 years ago. RIP Bar Q. Was a great spot.
lol I don't go out down there too often and always hop around and can never remember which spots I go to

Reaction Score
Mad Murphy’s Union Placethe best ever.
The night Earl Kelley hit the shot to beat 'Cuse, there was a great band in Murphy's basement. I constantly alternated between the high from the game and the high from the band (great covers and originals). Too often, after a Whalers game, their fans would show up and kill the vibe:
"Hartford is dead when the Whalers aren't playing".

Reaction Score
From 1983 though 1987 I was there at least 200 times. Maybe closer to 300.

I mean it was west Hartford but there was nothing near it except the charter oak housing projects down the road on one side and Elmwood down the road the other way.

Didn’t really consider that west Hartford , it was like a twilight zone.
Place was great. Lawless.

I thought it was knocked down?

Here are some pieces of the backstage wall.

View attachment 41469
I lived on Newfield to age eight. Went to Charter Oak Terrace and Elmwood for excitement and BBall. Later, my sister's boyfriend was Max Creek's band boy, with the famous last name

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score

poly esta’s? was right next to coach’s

AT POLLY ESTA'S, THE SEVENTIES ARE STAYIN' ALIVE

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom