OT: Best bar in CT | Page 8 | The Boneyard

OT: Best bar in CT

Reaction Score
A couple of comments about places mentioned in this thread. When I first moved to CT. I used to go to the Spigot with co-workers for pizza and pitchers of beer. They haven't served pizza in at least 25 years now. In the early 80's I went to the Agora ballroom to see acoustic Gregg Allman. Because there was a real heavy snowstorm that night, not many people showed up. Because of the small crowd there was a lot of interaction between Gregg and the audience. Pretty memorable experience. Also memorable because someone had to pull my car out of the parking lot as I was stuck in the snow.

Reaction Score
Stonebridge in Milford.

I can totally see how someone would love this place at a certain time in their life but it is solidly last on my list.

What are your favorite bars in Charleston? I spent a ton of time in bars when I was down there and they have a lot of great options.

For bars around here, I like going to The Little Pub. Always good beer and food and I like the aesthetics. Black Duck is a nice dive. I go to Viva Zapata a lot but only because it's nice to sit outside but it kinda sucks. Barcelona has a nice happy hour vibe. Lumberyard used to be my go to spot in Georgetown. Terrible all around, but walking distance is a rare commodity when living in Weston. Local in Fairfield is a good crowd, good visuals and good beer - especially the 3 dollar deal (Mondays?) Archie Moore's for good but probably overrated wings and good beer on tap. Bar Taco has good drinks, a really nice locations and eye candy but too many yuppies for my liking.

Last edited:

UconnU

If he blocks 100, he blocks 100
Reaction Score
I can totally see how someone would love this place at a certain time in their life but it is solidly last on my list.

What are your favorite bars in Charleston? I spent a ton of time in bars when I was down there and they have a lot of great options.

For bars around here, I like going to The Little Pub. Always good beer and food and I like the aesthetics. Black Duck is a nice dive. I go to Viva Zapata a lot but only because it's nice to sit outside but it kinda sucks. Barcelona has a nice happy hour vibe. Lumberyard used to be my go to spot in Georgetown. Terrible all around, but walking distance is a rare commodity when living in Weston. Local in Fairfield is a good crowd, good visuals and good beer - especially the 3 dollar deal (Mondays?) Archie Moore's for good but probably overrated wings and good beer on tap. Bar Taco has good drinks, a really nice locations and eye candy but too many yuppies for my liking.
The options in Charleston are crazy, it’s a bar town for sure. My go to bar is Rec Room. But The Griffon, Rooftop, Prohibition, Tim roof all great bars just depends on what you’re looking for. I’m actually living in Hilton Head now for work, the best bars here are Tiki Hut and Skull Creek Boathouse.

Archie Moore’s wings are NOT overrated. Still my favorite wings in the world. I like my wings really well done like that.

Reaction Score
The options in Charleston are crazy, it’s a bar town for sure. My go to bar is Rec Room. But The Griffon, Rooftop, Prohibition, Tim roof all great bars just depends on what you’re looking for. I’m actually living in Hilton Head now for work, the best bars here are Tiki Hut and Skull Creek Boathouse.

Archie Moore’s wings are NOT overrated. Still my favorite wings in the world. I like my wings really well done like that.

Yeah Rec Room is great. Saw Nova beat Pitt in an amazing elite 8 game there. Used to watch soccer at Griffon and Rooftop is awesome if you are referring to Vendue. I used to watch a lot of hoops at Moe's and I absolutely love their burgers. I spent most late nights at AC's and Juanita's bc they were super close to me when I lived on Coming and I guess I have grimy taste. I remember watching the Michigan State game at Wet Willies. Only bar I ever got kicked out of. And almost getting into a fight outside of Johnson's for mocking a Duke fan after Lehigh. The Alley was good for sports and saw Roddy White there. Halls and Basil for a slightly classier night. Man, I love that city. So many memories. Blind Tiger was cool too when I was living near Broad.

Reaction Score
I remember the Agora/Stage West on Dexter Avenue well. It would get so crowded in there that you would buy a six pack and hang if off your belt to avoid having to wait for your next drink. Saw bands like Talking Heads, Tubes, Men At Work and Nantucket there. I believe that U2 played there as well but I was not at the show. Other places to listen to music during the 70s and early 80s were Brandy's in Newington, Brave Bull in South Windsor, Davids in Manchester, Bonneys in Winsted and of course Shaboo. I was at Davids one Monday night when the bass player for Foghat jumped on stage to jam with Little Village. Fun times.

Reaction Score
Our go to joint, Nick's is closed for renovation and we were pissed. The place I was at is Le Tub. We split the smoked fish dip and a cheese burger. But we have the most fun at a tap room called LauderALE. It's near the airport and we Uber there. It's taco Tuesday, beer and 2 tacos for 10 bucks. I really like their 11 Barrel IPA. 20% off with a same day boarding pass. And if course, Gulfstream tomorrow.

For Tacos, I always enjoyed the Taco Beach Shack on Arizona in Hollywood, a block from the boardwalk. Speaking of Hollywood, does anyone remember the City Limits which I believe straddled Hollywood and Ft. Lauderdale? At least 2 bands and was open until 4AM.

Reaction Score

I always assumed Archie Moore's was named after the boxer. I just realized it was established 18 years before he was born.

Reaction Score
Any Stamford area people remember Monster B's? I think I first went there in 2007 and spent basically every Friday there between 2008 and 2009 when I was finishing up grad school and student teaching nearby.

It was a huge place, almost like a house set up with a weird, eclectic local crowd, a not-bad food menu, and plenty of space to hang out and watch sports without feeling cramped. They also had bands that would start around 8 PM.

The kicker? Over 40 beers on draft and $3 a draft for happy hour. I've had beers there that were cheaper at the bar than purchasing it at the liquor store.

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
Any Stamford area people remember Monster B's? I think I first went there in 2007 and spent basically every Friday there between 2008 and 2009 when I was finishing up grad school and student teaching nearby.

It was a huge place, almost like a house set up with a weird, eclectic local crowd, a not-bad food menu, and plenty of space to hang out and watch sports without feeling cramped. They also had bands that would start around 8 PM.

The kicker? Over 40 beers on draft and $3 a draft for happy hour. I've had beers there that were cheaper at the bar than purchasing it at the liquor store.

Hah, yup.

Played there once and totally forgot about it until you just mentioned it. Was a weird experience. Not really setup for music.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score

I was trying to remember the name of that place when I put in my earlier post on commuter bars as that was right next to the Glenbrook RR station. Yeah, that was a decent place for me, if I stayed at the bar with the other old folk commuters and not the other areas, which were overrun by bro mouthbreathers. Good beer selection, and one really gorgeous barkeep I distinctly recall. I was surprised to learn it's now an Indian restaurant.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Used to go there a lot, late night post restaurant shifts in early 90s

I worked at 999 Summer from 85-93, then again in 95. Murphy's was our after work hangout. At some point when I was down in Mexico in 94, it went from being a hidden gem to being overrun by hipsters and it was ridiculously crowded and became a fern bar when I came back to the US, but I did love that place when it was still just basically a dump.

Now I'm remembering the other dumps we used to go to after softball games... after games at Scalzi it was the 19th Hole at Brennan had cheap beer and respectable bar pizza. After games at Cove, it was Seaside Tavern, which was a dicey neighborhood joint, and after games down on Southfield St, we'd go to a total dump on Selleck, which no longer exists, where my car got broken into and I was buzzed enough where I didn't even realize it until I got to the Greenwich tolls and realized they'd taken all my quarters, along with all my sports equipment and cassettes.

Trying to think about the worst dumps in Stamford from back in the day and I have to go with Darling's Villa on W. Broad and Melfi's in Springdale, although the latter had some killer chili.

Reaction Score
Haven't been up there in years - but always loved Murphy's Townhouse in Stamford.
Wow.

Was going to the Townhouse mid 80s. Dawn took over the business from her dad. Her squeeze George had a Celtics championship ring as he was on the end of the bench for one of their 'ships.

We called it the babysitter. Had a solid lunch menu but closed at 8 every night. Yes 8.

Steve was the bartender. Had more for sale than just booze. By early 90s it became a sneaky hot spot for yuppies and I was a dad by then.

Great memories. Thanks for that.

Reaction Score
I always assumed Archie Moore's was named after the boxer. I just realized it was established 18 years before he was born.
I will take Black Duck wings over Archie Moore's any day.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom