OT: Best bar in CT | Page 6 | The Boneyard

OT: Best bar in CT

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
Peter was a guitarist for the Reducers who used to play regularly at the El & Gee Club (NL's verion of CBGB) around the corner.
I saw the Reducers a few times at Shaboo.

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
Oh damn Richters forgot and the yards, Anna Liffey's basement Irish pub good call too.
jiffy pop at your table was a great touch.
Richters was my ideal of what a college bar was, as a UConn student making fun at Yalies. Jiffy pop at your table and the yard glasses.

dennismenace

ONE MORE CAST
Reaction Score
Former Dives in Bristol: The Old Fort which had wooden skids covering the floor in the men's room due to the constant flooding of the urinals or toilets. One patron comment: This is a great place.......if you are a duck.
Runner up: Henry's. As a child I asked my father why there large front window was always covered in plywood on Sunday morning coming home from church. His reply: "Because someone went through it on Saturday night."

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
What remains of the building is falling apart. A bit before my time but West Hartford probably wasn’t so annoying then.

From 1983 though 1987 I was there at least 200 times. Maybe closer to 300.

I mean it was west Hartford but there was nothing near it except the charter oak housing projects down the road on one side and Elmwood down the road the other way.

Didn’t really consider that west Hartford , it was like a twilight zone.
Place was great. Lawless.

I thought it was knocked down?

Here are some pieces of the backstage wall.

4A8A9170-8242-492E-8C6C-FAEE5D0A498C.jpeg

Reaction Score
More a music club/room than a bar. But great place

Can't mention the Agora Ballroom if you don't mention the Arcadia Ballroom as well. Memory is more fuzzy than clear from back in the mid to late 1970's but I think they were almost across the street from each other in New Haven. Hartford also had an Agora if I remember correctly.

Reaction Score
Former Dives in Bristol: The Old Fort which had wooden skids covering the floor in the men's room due to the constant flooding of the urinals or toilets. One patron comment: This is a great place..if you are a duck.
Runner up: Henry's. As a child I asked my father why there large front window was always covered in plywood on Sunday morning coming home from church. His reply: "Because someone went through it on Saturday night."

Was it Chips across the street from Muzzy Field? Another great dive back in the day.

August_West

Reaction Score
Can't mention the Agora Ballroom if you don't mention the Arcadia Ballroom as well. Memory is more fuzzy than clear from back in the mid to late 1970's but I think they were almost across the street from each other in New Haven. Hartford also had an Agora if I remember correctly.
The west Hartford agora much more well known and longer lived than new haven one. New haven one lasted about a year.

Reaction Score

I mean it was west Hartford but there was nothing near it except the charter oak housing projects down the road on one side and Elmwood down the road the other way.

Didn’t really consider that west Hartford , it was like a twilight zone.
Place was great. Lawless.

I thought it was knocked down?

Here are some pieces of the backstage wall.

View attachment 41469

I’ll take a picture in a few days. That area is definitely bizarre. It is in West Hartford but a block away from Hartford.

August_West

Reaction Score
I’ll take a picture in a few days. That area is definitely bizarre. It is in West Hartford but a block away from Hartford.

Classic Dexter Ave.

Did you ever see the charter oak housing projects before they were razed?

Reaction Score
Personal favorites:

WeHa: McLaddens
Stamford: Bradfords (Hudsons back left corner is solid too)
UConn: Ted's (Huskies Tavern would have been cool to have during my time there though)
Dive Bar: OT in Wethersfield

Reaction Score
Yeah it's light a bit, mostly because I can't remember them all now.

But since it was titled the "Best Bar" and not bars I will throw out mine:

Seacrets - Ocean City MD
Photos | Seacrets Ocean City MD | Waterfront Dining
My favorite. Go there often. Seacrets is more than a bar, it’s an entire complex. Just wondering since your from Ma. Ever go to Pufferbellies back in the John Morgan days?

Reaction Score
My favorite. Go there often. Seacrets is more than a bar, it’s an entire complex. Just wondering since your from Ma. Ever go to Pufferbellies back in the John Morgan days?

Don’t forget Macky’s and Coconuts!

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
The Agora had The Clash and the Talking Heads in the same week. They had a great run.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score

Playing in a band or as a paying customer? IIRC, you turned 50 last year, so you'd have been underage for part or all of that time, right?

Was only there once, for a Waits/Redbone bill. But 200-300 visits is certainly commitment to a bar. I can only think of two I've done that with: Colony, back in the Fitz/Skeets days when they still had the shuffleboard machine, and the late, lamented Apple Annie's in Eastchester, NY, where I spent so much time, ex #1 actually came in one night with the intent of getting picked up by a stranger.

August_West

Reaction Score
Playing in a band or as a paying customer? IIRC, you turned 50 last year, so you'd have been underage for part or all of that time, right?

Was only there once, for a Waits/Redbone bill. But 200-300 visits is certainly commitment to a bar. I can only think of two I've done that with: Colony, back in the Fitz/Skeets days when they still had the shuffleboard machine, and the late, lamented Apple Annie's in Eastchester, NY, where I spent so much time, ex #1 actually came in one night with the intent of getting picked up by a stranger.

It was 16 and up for most shows I went to. Some shows were 21 and up.

I had a fake ID anyway. But the bar was gated from the band area.

Reaction Score
It was 16 and up for most shows I went to. Some shows were 21 and up.

I had a fake ID anyway. But the bar was gated from the band area.

Oh you have a story. You told it on the RIP cesspool.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom