OT: Best bar in CT | Page 5 | The Boneyard

OT: Best bar in CT

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Le Tub is right across the street. I combined this with a work trip. I may hit Marlins opening day Thursday. I hit Dania Beach Jai Alai on Sunday.
Not the best food choices there, but I like the Korean Short Rib at the Taco Spot as well.

UconnU

If he blocks 100, he blocks 100
Reaction Score
Stonebridge in Milford.

Reaction Score
Wasn’t really noted as a bar but more a restaurant ...Mario’s in Westport across the street from the train station. Was interesting to see some of NYs noted tv reporters stumble from the train to Mario’s. They had the biggest porterhouse steak ( hanging over a really big plate served with popovers ...yum.

Reaction Score
It's just "Dutch Tavern," not "Dutch's." Great bar. I love the room. Peter the owner is a great guy, and he makes a very good, basic burger, among other things. Also a proper pour of Guinness, and one of very few bars where you can still play pinball.

It was called The Oak in the pre-prohibition days when Eugene O'Neil hung out there, but it's the same room with the same tin ceiling I believe. Green Street is one of very few blocks in downtown New London that was not burned when Benedict Arnold ordered the raid on New London, so it's cool that those buildings were there then.

Peter was a guitarist for the Reducers who used to play regularly at the El & Gee Club (NL's verion of CBGB) around the corner.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Peter was a guitarist for the Reducers who used to play regularly at the El & Gee Club (NL's verion of CBGB) around the corner.
Yep. Only got to see them once or twice. Great fun. Great club, too.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Wasn’t really noted as a bar but more a restaurant ...Mario’s in Westport across the street from the train station. Was interesting to see some of NYs noted tv reporters stumble from the train to Mario’s. They had the biggest porterhouse steak ( hanging over a really big plate served with popovers ...yum.

Mario's was a GREAT bar if you were late 30s-60ish. And lots of folks went just for the bar. Great martinis, although that wasn't my thing. Good pours, fair prices for Westport.

I only ate there twice. Oddly, for an "Italian" restaurant, their Italian wasn't all that good. It was all about the meat. The last time I ate there, my gf at the time (now wife) loved prime rib so she ordered one, medium rare. It was so big (as you said, hanging over the plate) and bloody, she got queasy. She hasn't ordered prime rib anywhere in the 22 years since.

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
the place named after what the well dressed equine wears on its' feet. Southport.
(not being witty here, but after 5 trys, the word is not recognizable in the post...ugh.)
food's lame, everyone's a jerk, some weird soccer vibe recently, ...perfect. its where the Ophelias (beekman tower, nyc) crowd can sometimes be found when they want to be schnockered close to home.

Reaction Score
You youngsters never had the pleasure of Rapp's. Now that was a dump. If the bathroom wasn't under an inch of water you wondered what was wrong, It was a two-holer, the toilet and the sink. Then again, 99-cent pitchers.
.......if you paid for them

Reaction Score
Anybody remember the Brickyard on Allyn Street? I designed that place back around '94. Three level bar with a jazz bar, dance club and top level sports bar.

Soft opening on a Friday night. The owners were freaked when they left for home at 2AM with $25,000 cash in their pockets. Had a nice run.

Reaction Score
Anybody remember the Brickyard on Allyn Street? I designed that place back around '94. Three level bar with a jazz bar, dance club and top level sports bar.

Soft opening on a Friday night. The owners were freaked when they left for home at 2AM with $25,000 cash in their pockets. Had a nice run.

I absolutely remember it. That corner had a great run with Challenges, Standing Stone, Brickyard and Russian Lady back then. Lines every Thursday, Friday and Saturday for all of them.

Reaction Score
I absolutely remember it. That corner had a great run with Challenges, Standing Stone, Brickyard and Russian Lady back then. Lines every Thursday, Friday and Saturday for all of them.
I had quite a run in that part of town. Designed Pastis (former Challenges), Standing Stone, the Brickyard, Coach's, Hot Tomatos and Black Eyed Sally's.

Place is a ghost town now, Front Street sucked the life out of it.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
The Cape Codder
That building has had some tough luck.

Since we're focusing on great defunct bars, Delaney's also deserves a mention (same building as Cape Codder), as do Richter's, the OG Rudy's, the Keghouse, Clancy's and Anna Liffey's. And my old-time favorite, the Windmill in Stratford.

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score

Since we're focusing on great defunct bars, Delaney's also deserves a mention (same building as Cape Codder), as do Richter's, the OG Rudy's, the Keghouse, Clancy's and Anna Liffey's. And my old-time favorite, the Windmill in Stratford.

The Moon.

Ray Kelly's

Reaction Score

Oh damn Richters forgot and the yards, Anna Liffey's basement Irish pub good call too.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom