Official "REINSTATE MIKE FOLEY AS OL COACH IMMEDIATELY" Thread | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Official "REINSTATE MIKE FOLEY AS OL COACH IMMEDIATELY" Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
consider this a chip block to get to the second level bump

Reaction Score
There is no reason for this not to happen ASAP. P would win back a few fans by showing a pulse. The decision to double down on DeLeone has been a complete disaster.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Is there a shred of evidence to show that making Deleone the OL coach has been anything other than an unmitigated disaster?

C

Chief00

Just do it.

I was one of the three. Apply some logic, Foley had a great track record over many years, which would indicate that last year was more about Deleone's poor play calling and schemes.

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score
I'm not sure it's a curse. But we have to understand that we are new to "big-time" football, and that makes it hard to land a "big-time" QB. In other words, if Dan Orlovsky isn't born in the state of CT, do we still land him? I'm guessing the answer to that question is "no." And if the answer is "no," we aren't even having this discussion. At that point, we are even more pissed about the fact that we aren't running the ball well at Running Game U (a.k.a., UConn). This is a team that has produced the likes of Todman, Dixon, and Brown. Even the names Caulley, Brockington, and yes, Lyle McCombs are what I would consider "big-time"...

I don't think it should be that difficult to recruit at least a competent QB who's capable of throwing the ball without making too many mistakes, no matter how young the program is. As important a position as QB is to a football team, we should have done and need to do a lot better recruiting job there.

We have first-rate facilities, we've had good OL play for the most part since DanO, and we've made it to several bowl games, including one BCS bowl. Practically all of our games are televised on some version of ESPN. Edsall convinced Hennegan's parents that they would see all of his games in Fort Worth by simply getting a satellite dish, if they didn't already have one.

During that time span, we've had Hernandez, Bonislawski, Lorenzen, Endres, Frazer, McEntee and Whitmer. Only Lorenzen and possibly Frazer qualify for the 'competent' category.

We are surrounded by four of the larger population states in the entire country. We ought to be able to identify and get at least a few decent QBs from that talent pool. Two of those states (NJ and PA) produce some great HS football talent, and a lot of it. Our former HC was from one of those states.

I don't buy the argument that we can't recruit QBs. We've managed to recruit some NFL-caliber talent at other skill positions during this same time period. Why not at QB?

jrazz12

BEast mode
Reaction Score
Bump bump bump, ba ba bump bump bump, ba ba bump ba ba bump bump bump

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
Bumpitty bump.
Bump fifty times over.
I heard a few eye opening things before yesterday's game (from very good but also very surprising sources) that has me convinced that I have been underestimating the damage GDL has caused on our offensive line.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
I don't think it should be that difficult to recruit at least a competent QB who's capable of throwing the ball without making too many mistakes, no matter how young the program is. As important a position as QB is to a football team, we should have done and need to do a lot better recruiting job there.

We have first-rate facilities, we've had good OL play for the most part since DanO, and we've made it to several bowl games, including one BCS bowl. Practically all of our games are televised on some version of ESPN. Edsall convinced Hennegan's parents that they would see all of his games in Fort Worth by simply getting a satellite dish, if they didn't already have one.

During that time span, we've had Hernandez, Bonislawski, Lorenzen, Endres, Frazer, McEntee and Whitmer. Only Lorenzen and possibly Frazer qualify for the 'competent' category.

We are surrounded by four of the larger population states in the entire country. We ought to be able to identify and get at least a few decent QBs from that talent pool. Two of those states (NJ and PA) produce some great HS football talent, and a lot of it. Our former HC was from one of those states.

I don't buy the argument that we can't recruit QBs. We've managed to recruit some NFL-caliber talent at other skill positions during this same time period. Why not at QB?

First, Endres was competent, and I fully believe that Whitmer is going to be a very good one.

Second, just because we are surrounded by high population in the northeast does not mean that we are the destination of choice for QB's, especially since we have been known primarily for our run game for over a decade. I'm not saying that we can't recruit a QB. I'm saying that we are bringing in better quality than we have had in past seasons, but we shouldn't expect that Andrew Luck and Geno Smith are going to choose UConn over other programs at this point in our maturity. I fully expect that people like Whitmer, Cochran, and Lagow will build us up to that point, because I believe that all three have talent and ability at the position. What we need now is time....and an OLine that will keep them alive!! Re-instate Foley...

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score
First, Endres was competent, and I fully believe that Whitmer is going to be a very good one.

Second, just because we are surrounded by high population in the northeast does not mean that we are the destination of choice for QB's, especially since we have been known primarily for our run game for over a decade. I'm not saying that we can't recruit a QB. I'm saying that we are bringing in better quality than we have had in past seasons, but we shouldn't expect that Andrew Luck and Geno Smith are going to choose UConn over other programs at this point in our maturity. I fully expect that people like Whitmer, Cochran, and Lagow will build us up to that point, because I believe that all three have talent and ability at the position. What we need now is time....and an OLine that will keep them alive!! Re-instate Foley...

I didn't indicate we need Andrew Lucks or Geno Smiths...just a competent QB who can take charge of the offense.

I saw Lorenzen's first game in person at Duke and you could instantly see that he had an intangible leadership quality. He certainly wasn't a gifted athlete or tremendous passer, but you felt the team was in competent hands with him at the helm. I haven't seen anything like that yet from Whitmer. I could be wrong, but his performance so far is not confidence-inspiring. He plays with a deer-in-the-headlights look, stares down his primary receivers and doesn't have any conception of how fast the game is played at this level. He's got no clock in his head for knowing how long he's got to hold the ball before throwing it. That could change over time with experience, but I'm not so sure. Lorenzen had those skills from day one. Whitmer doesn't. That said, is he an improvement over most of the QBs we've had over the past several seasons? Definitely.

The reason we've become known as a run-oriented team is exactly because we have had mediocrity at QB for almost a decade now. It has become a vicious cycle. Since we haven't recruited well at the QB position, we have to be run-oriented by definition, so it becomes a self-fufilling prophecy. Yesterday's game was a sickening reminder of that very fact. Now if an opponent either shuts down or merely neutralizes our running game, we've got nothing left to throw at 'em.

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
I haven't seen anything like that yet from Whitmer. I could be wrong, but his performance so far is not confidence-inspiring. He plays with a deer-in-the-headlights look, stares down his primary receivers and doesn't have any conception of how fast the game is played at this level. He's got no clock in his head for knowing how long he's got to hold the ball before throwing it. That could change over time with experience, but I'm not so sure. Lorenzen had those skills from day one. Whitmer doesn't.

Perhaps it was the 6 sacks yesterday that led you to believe that Whitmer wasn't competent. However, even after having said that, he threw for just shy of 300 yards, 2 touchdowns, and no INT's. I'd say that's a pretty competent performance, especially after having picked himself off of the ground six times...

Reaction Score
Perhaps it was the 6 sacks yesterday that led you to believe that Whitmer wasn't competent. However, even after having said that, he threw for just shy of 300 yards, 2 touchdowns, and no INT's. I'd say that's a pretty competent performance, especially after having picked himself off of the ground six times...
Don't forget that fumble!

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
Don't forget that fumble!

Yeah, don't forget that fumble that he was HIT ON, right? He wasn't trying to run the ball and just didn't have ball security. He didn't have protection...

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
Not even waiting to the end of the first half to bump it.

Reaction Score
This is the only thread we should be posting in now. What a disaster this OL is. Whitmer is going to get killed.

Reaction Score
This is the only thread we should be posting in now. What a disaster this OL is. Whitmer is going to get killed.

Why Foley was ever moved is beyond me - however DeLeone basically coached the o-line last season as well...FWIW

Reaction Score
Yeah, don't forget that fumble that he was HIT ON, right? He wasn't trying to run the ball and just didn't have ball security. He didn't have protection...
Losing that fumble was crucial to losing the game. Blame it on o-line if you want, but CW saw the defense and didn't protect the ball when he was hit. So 1 "aw " wipes out a lot of "atta boys".

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
Losing that fumble was crucial to losing the game. Blame it on o-line if you want, but CW saw the defense and didn't protect the ball when he was hit. So 1 "aw " wipes out a lot of "atta boys".

Whitmer had less than a second to make a decision. Watch the replay on it. Yes, the fumble was bad. But the blitz sent several Fruit through our swiss cheese OL untouched. It's tough to make a heady play (ie - get rid of the ball to your hot read like Whitmer was trying to do) in less than 1 second.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Darkbloom

Top Bottom