Official "REINSTATE MIKE FOLEY AS OL COACH IMMEDIATELY" Thread | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Official "REINSTATE MIKE FOLEY AS OL COACH IMMEDIATELY" Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I was trying to be kind. Our best offensive lineman doesn't move very well because of 3 knee injuries.

Reaction Score
To be fair, it's not like the offensive line was some sort of juggernaut last year under Foley.

We were in our first year of transition from Moorhead's offense to DeLeone's. Totally different animals

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
Not only are they totally different animals, but the fact that every other team knew we had to run the ball, and we had a freshman RB still go for almost 1,200 yards means that it was still worlds better last year. That's why I'm really leaning towards the difference being DeLeone vs. Foley as the OLine coach, not necessarily the overall offensive philosophy...

Reaction Score
Not only are they totally different animals, but the fact that every other team knew we had to run the ball, and we had a freshman RB still go for almost 1,200 yards means that it was still worlds better last year. That's why I'm really leaning towards the difference being DeLeone vs. Foley as the OLine coach, not necessarily the overall offensive philosophy...

Bingo. Everyone knew UCONN was running the ball last year. 8 men in the box? Try all 11 defenders were cheating run. And we still ran effectively. Pass blocking was a work in progress. Not nearly as bad as the sacks would make you think as McEntee was horrible in the pocket. Happy feet, when he could have just stepped into the pocket.

There was no reason Foley should have been removed. None. It was a ridiculously stupid move.

Reaction Score
It seems like we have some curse ever since Dan O. Just can't muster an offense after 8 years of building, rebuilding, re-re-building. O-line was always a tough lunch pail group that could play classic power football.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
It seems like we have some curse ever since Dan O. Just can't muster an offense after 8 years of building, rebuilding, re-re-building. O-line was always a tough lunch pail group that could play classic power football.

I'm not sure it's a curse. But we have to understand that we are new to "big-time" football, and that makes it hard to land a "big-time" QB. In other words, if Dan Orlovsky isn't born in the state of CT, do we still land him? I'm guessing the answer to that question is "no." And if the answer is "no," we aren't even having this discussion. At that point, we are even more pissed about the fact that we aren't running the ball well at Running Game U (a.k.a., UConn). This is a team that has produced the likes of Todman, Dixon, and Brown. Even the names Caulley, Brockington, and yes, Lyle McCombs are what I would consider "big-time"...

Reaction Score
Bingo. Everyone knew UCONN was running the ball last year. 8 men in the box? Try all 11 defenders were cheating run. And we still ran effectively. Pass blocking was a work in progress. Not nearly as bad as the sacks would make you think as McEntee was horrible in the pocket. Happy feet, when he could have just stepped into the pocket.

There was no reason Foley should have been removed. None. It was a ridiculously stupid move.

LOL. Spin it however you like. The fact is that last year UConn averaged 3.1 yards per rush and gave up 41 sacks. That's just bad offensive line play.

Reaction Score
[

I was trying to be kind. Our best offensive lineman doesn't move very well because of 3 knee injuries.

I agree with what you wrote before, but I disagee here.

IF this system that they're doing on offense craps the bed against Maryland next week again, my patience for Deleone will be gone. Period. He's a smart guy, knows more x's and o's than you can possibly imagine, but you've got to be able to put an offense on the field that can help your team win.

An our offense did the complete opposite today. Whitmer will shoulder a lot of blame, and deservedly so, but all he did was play like a kid in his second 1-A game, against a solid defense, and in an offense where he was forced to try to make somethign happen, rather than actually settle down and read the field - and he missed a wide open Shakim Phillips on a post pattern so badly it made me sick, for a failed third down conversion thrown to the opposite side field flat, which was loaded with players, from the hash he snapped on. don't know how this kid is being taught to read a defense by this coaching staff, but he missed a basic - basic read, on that defensive set and the route we had built for it. Shakim stood in the middle field with nobody around him for at least 20 yards, and just shrugged and walked off the field.

AND - when you can't get the QB out fom under center on a snap, without a linemen steppng on him? Multiple times? After a full camp, and into week 2 of a season?

Something's not right in practice. Fundamentally. With this offense.

That's on the coaches to fix about how they're really going to approach this game on offense for the rest of the season.

We'll see what happens next week in Maryland.

Reaction Score
LOL. Spin it however you like. The fact is that last year UConn averaged 3.1 yards per rush and gave up 41 sacks. That's just bad offensive line play.

The offensive line did not play up to it's standards last year, but I am saying that they were not nearly as poor as those above stats indicate. Honest question, where is the 3.1 ypr come from? Does that include qb sacks? Because if I remember right, McCombs averaged in the mid to high 4's and he dominated the carries.

I wrote about the sacks many times after I rewatched games from last year. There were some absolute whiffs by the offensive line, and there were many sacks that were the result of Johnny Mac's qb skills.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
I'm not sure it's a curse. But we have to understand that we are new to "big-time" football, and that makes it hard to land a "big-time" QB. In other words, if Dan Orlovsky isn't born in the state of CT, do we still land him? I'm guessing the answer to that question is "no." And if the answer is "no," we aren't even having this discussion. At that point, we are even more pissed about the fact that we aren't running the ball well at Running Game U (a.k.a., UConn). This is a team that has produced the likes of Todman, Dixon, and Brown. Even the names Caulley, Brockington, and yes, Lyle McCombs are what I would consider "big-time"...

I mentioned this earlier, but for christ sake we don't need an NFL caliber QB. We just need a guy who isn't arguably one of the worst QBs in FBS running the offense.

The just sheer ineptitude of our passing offense the past 8 years, aside from a brief stretch with Lorenzen in 2007 and the end of 2010 with Frazer, is mind numbing.

I don't know anyway else to describe it. If we don't have an All America running back, we can't score, period.

I'm sitting in the stands today and after even the field goal, I'm thinking to myself, this isn't good.

A first half fg, to go down 3-0 and because our offense is horrific, I'm thinking the game's over.

We literally have to root for special teams TDs and Pick-6 defensive TDs to win, I seriously don't get it.

Reaction Score
I mentioned this earlier, but for christ sake we don't need an NFL caliber QB. We just need a guy who isn't arguably one of the worst QBs in FBS running the offense.

The just sheer ineptitude of our passing offense the past 8 years, aside from a brief stretch with Lorenzen in 2007 and the end of 2010 with Frazer, is mind numbing.

I don't know anyway else to describe it. If we don't have an All America running back, we can't score, period.

I'm sitting in the stands today and after even the field goal, I'm thinking to myself, this isn't good.

A first half fg, to go down 3-0 and because our offense is horrific, I'm thinking the game's over.

We literally have to root for special teams TDs and Pick-6 defensive TDs to win, I seriously don't get it.

I'm with you man. In the head at half, I hear a couple guys behind me talking, and one say - well - 3-0, there's your final. I couldn't disagree.

The thing that's embarrassing, as that we were literally tripping all over ourselves on offense. NC State didn't have to do very much at all to stop us. There were several plays, where they didn't have to be on the field at all, and our offense would have gone backwards.

That makes me want to f(cking scream.

I hate losing. I hate it, hate it, hate it, hate it. HATE it.

I can take losing, if it's a best effort.

But I FUC(ING HATE losing a game the way we did today.

Reaction Score
I thought it was insane as well - but they claim it's a scheme that has a long term payoff. This team won more games than people expected for a decade because the offensive line was underrated. The juice better be worth the squeeze.

This

Reaction Score
I'm with you man. In the head at half, I hear a couple guys behind me talking, and one say - well - 3-0, there's your final. I couldn't disagree.

The thing that's embarrassing, as that we were literally tripping all over ourselves on offense. NC State didn't have to do very much at all to stop us. There were several plays, where they didn't have to be on the field at all, and our offense would have gone backwards.

That makes me want to f(cking scream.

I hate losing. I hate it, hate it, hate it, hate it. HATE it.

I can take losing, if it's a best effort.

But I FUC(ING HATE losing a game the way we did today.

Deleted. I'm still angry. I'll write tomorrow.

Reaction Score
This

The problem is, most of the staff will be on a liquid diet before it ever "pays off".

Today I became really worried about the program. Lame crowd, and the offense seems like one step forward, two steps back.

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
Bumping in protest.

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
Either put Foley back on OL, or simplify the schemes some more, if that's possible. We don't need to wallpaper the house, just the living room perhaps.

Reaction Score
With Foley it was simple. Dominate, dominate then dominate some more. By the 4th quarter the defensive line of the other team was beat.

With that said because we were a run oriented team it was easier.

By the way. Could someone tell DeLeone it's legal to throw a middle screen to help slow down the pass rush. Maybe teach the WR's to break off their routes early when the blitz is on?

Simple stuff right?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Darkbloom