Official "REINSTATE MIKE FOLEY AS OL COACH IMMEDIATELY" Thread | Page 6 | The Boneyard

Official "REINSTATE MIKE FOLEY AS OL COACH IMMEDIATELY" Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
Bump. Anyone who looks at that game tonight (or games past) and DOESN'T believe that the problem is the OLine is the idiot...

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
Bump. Anyone who looks at that game tonight (or games past) and DOESN'T believe that the problem is the OLine is the idiot...

I counted four plays that were not rollouts that turned into rollouts because from the moment the ball was snapped, there were multiple defensive players in the backfield. Whitmer is a good kid and a solid QB who is being dragged through hell.

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
I counted four plays that were not rollouts that turned into rollouts because from the moment the ball was snapped, there were multiple defensive players in the backfield. Whitmer is a good kid and a solid QB who is being dragged through hell.

100% right. And all three of the turnovers are actually on the OLine (bad snap led to badly timed handoff, Whitmer throws off his back foot 40 yards down field which turns into a punt, and two separate defensive line players were not engaged by the OLine, allowing a game of "taps" until a burly muthaf#$ka actually caught it). No run. Weak pass protection. Cannot sustain drives. Check, please...

Reaction Score
If I could "Like" your post eleventy bujillion times like a 12-year old girl voting for a chance to win Justin Bieber tickets online, I would do just that. That is the intensity with which I agree with your statement.

I would vote for it a brazilian times...is a brazilian more than a bujillion? :D

Reaction Score
The answer is right in front of your eyes.

We have good kids playing today (and I feel for them). The system worked - Norries Wilson then to Mike Foley. We developed solid FBS OLine. DeLeone sucks - this OLine is swirling down the toilet with him.

I think you may be a bit mistaken there Pudge. What we developed was a solid FBS running game. THat's since been completely dismantled, to the detriment of our ability to win games.

We did not develop a solid FBS OLine, because our players could not pass protect very well, mostly because they weren't required to when we moved up to the Big East under Edsall. We recruited players for a few years, that had very good feet, and good speed and size, and became excellent run blockers. Will Beatty was drafted by the Giants, after Tom Coughlin talked at length with Randy Edsall - about how Randy thought Beatty would be able to develop into a pass blocker. Beatty had the required talent - good feet.

Donald Thomas, was a mauler of run blocker, and he still his, and he had the feet and speed to play in teh NFL. Danny Lansanah found him on an intramural basketball court at UConn. It's taken him several years of bouncingin and out of and around the NFL and being coached, to become better at pass blocking.

Mike Hicks, went through training camp in Detroit, undrafted rookie status, and didn't make final cuts - because of pass blocking. Keith Gray, hung around for a while with the Panthers, because he could run block, but wasn't very good at pass blocking. Ryan Krug was able to pass block, from the Orlovsky days, but just not fast enough for the NFL, he was recruited in 1999. Tavarr Closs - recruited by Holtz right here out of hartford - another basketball player, monster physical specimen, probably the most physically gifted 6'5" 300lb man I've seen,before Kendall Reyes bulked up, just wasn't mentally right for the NFL, and probably would have been a disaster if he chose to go to a division 1 program at the time, now he's helping out troubled kids in Hartford - great guy, made it through the fire.

The blocking schemes we use now, with the offense we are trying to run, there's nothing wrong with it on the blackboard, and it will help develop a complete offense - I didn't know that before, but I know that now. There's nothign wrong with the system, but you got to stock up the players, all 11 on offense, with the tools, and you got to put them in position to succeed on the field with your play calling and game management.

It seems almost inevitable, that at least one, if not multiple offensive drives are going to end badly, because we either don't call a timeout, completely botch a basic thing, like a hand off, or center QB exchange, or because of some complete change in momentum in a bad way, based solely on us, for personnel grouping chagnes and new / different play calls than anythign we've run before, and it's that last part, that drives me completely bananas about Deleone.

At this point, nine games into this season I can run off about a dozen play calls, new formations and plays, thrown into games at the oddest of times, spanning each games, that were completely, entirely, nothing more than George Deleone, and some worked, and the majority completely destroyed our offensive momentum, and a couple you can make a very good argument, made it very difficult for us to have a good chance to win a game......

but what they all did - was set up the defense for another play call to come in the future.

I'm done ranting for today.

Reaction Score
Oh, I forgot, I'd like to see what Foley could do as a play caller the rest of the way this season. He knows the players and what they're capable of.

Reaction Score
Carl, DeLeone sucks and has buried this OL. I didn't get through your whole post, but how anyone can still disagree with that is mystifying to me.

Reaction Score
Carl, DeLeone sucks and has buried this OL. I didn't get through your whole post, but how anyone can still disagree with that is mystifying to me.

Deleone has buried the entire offense with his game planning and play calling. The offensive line is just the most obvious part that's failing.

We didn't lose against buffalo, but we were within inches of it, becuase Deleone called a ridiculous wishbone formation, that went for a sack, and nearly a sack/fumble. We were on the goal line, moving the ball, probably the best we have all season long, in a drive against rutgers, after a blocked field goal - HUGE momentum, and out comes the wishbone again at the goal line. Play gets destroyed. Only two times I think I've seen that formation this year.

We call the jet sweep, QB toss trick play in game 1 against UMass, late, WTF for? It worked. We try the same gimmick against NC STate, with a WR taking snaps, and gets snuffed.

Against Syracuse, we run the same garbage plays over and over for nothign, but eventually get a wide open TD to Griffin out of it. There are multiple, multiple examples of this kind of thing in every offense that George Deleone has ever called, anywhere.

Against USF, late in the game, USF is showing pressure - talked about this yesterday, that there is no way we are stopping, and nobody calls a TO. Deleone in the booth should have been screaming into his headset to call the TO. Sack - killed the drive that was HUGE at that point in the game and we're moving the ball.

Do I need to bring up the use of McCummings offensive package?

Our OL is not as strong this year as years past, but our entire offense is being driven into the ground, the OL - believe it or not - I think - will be better in the long run for having learned what they have so far.

As bad as our offensive line and running game has been, we have been in position to win games, but the offense keeps failing, and it's because they cannot sustain a drive.

We have enough tools on this offense to sustain scoring drives, right now - today. They aren't doing it becuase the play caller sucks. Not because he can't coach an OL.

ANd thanks for drawing me back in when I want out for now Jimmy. LOL.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
I'd go with Brazillian...

I see your Brazilian and raise you eight (or perhaps sixteen) Brazilians!
bumbum30n-1-web.jpg

You have to love a country that sponsors a beauty pageant like this!

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
The I miss Brazilians but also the OL blocking was historically awful bump.

Reaction Score
Love how ten Boneyarders claim to be the 3 who wanted Foley to stay at OLine Coach

From dominating ND in South Bend to Towson ... We see the stark contrast.

But, I don't want to totally buy the package. Somewhere PP has gone terribly wrong & it's not just GDL. I loved, initially, keeping so many of the Edsall staff. Today, I think we have a huge opportunity cost: we could have found the right HC to Général this Program into P5. PP was a risk less choice that has screwed us over. No question about it.

Foley was wonderful. And, I believe the current line had good talent. I just don't know where we go now.

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
And this game and this game and this game.... you can take a bow Dan however late.

I wish I didn't have to take a bow. I really wish I didn't.

How on earth does an OLine full of players averaging 6'5" 305 (with the exception of Hemingway, who was exceptionally horrible last night) get knocked around like a bunch of rag-dolls against a 1-AA defense? How is it that we can't have a 100-yard day on the ground anymore? How is it that we can't keep Whitmer from running for his life 1.5 seconds after the snap?

For those who hated the old and boring style of "4 yards and a cloud of dust" every play because it wasn't flashy enough, I'm sure they're having second thoughts. And now I hate Edsall even more for what he did to us. And I of course know that Foley regaining the OL job under Pasqualoni is an impossibility, so...

I know that Husky Nation needs me right now, so I'm trying not to lose my marbles. I'm just struggling to find the strength or the subject matter to be positive with...sorry, Boneyarders...

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
"Super-pocket-collapsing-multiple-sacks-no-running-game-again" bump...

Reaction Score
I wish I didn't have to take a bow. I really wish I didn't.

How on earth does an OLine full of players averaging 6'5" 305 (with the exception of Hemingway, who was exceptionally horrible last night) get knocked around like a bunch of rag-dolls against a 1-AA defense? How is it that we can't have a 100-yard day on the ground anymore? How is it that we can't keep Whitmer from running for his life 1.5 seconds after the snap?

For those who hated the old and boring style of "4 yards and a cloud of dust" every play because it wasn't flashy enough, I'm sure they're having second thoughts. And now I hate Edsall even more for what he did to us. And I of course know that Foley regaining the OL job under Pasqualoni is an impossibility, so...

I know that Husky Nation needs me right now, so I'm trying not to lose my marbles. I'm just struggling to find the strength or the subject matter to be positive with...sorry, Boneyarders...
Don't be so hard on yourself. We all wanted to believe UConn could be successful with PP. it's very clear that it won't happen. I for one am turning my positive energy hoping for a firing this week and new head coach for Muchigan!

Reaction Score
has anybody written zone blocking for dummies. If so please send to GDL thank you!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom