It's a good time to draw the line ... | Page 5 | The Boneyard

It's a good time to draw the line ...

Status
Not open for further replies.

RedSoloCup

2 golf tournaments...
Reaction Score
Have you ever been to a ghost town? They are full of cob webs and dust. They are not clean in the slightest.

That is the effect of a pay wall.
Yeah it would be like the same small group of posters, rehashing the same topics and bashing each other.

Only they care enough to put money behind it.

I gotta stop working from home, I read this place and think... "gosh, it's a looong offseason ahead". How long till spring practice?

Reaction Score
As I said in the OP ...

You all have 5 to 6 months to decide what you want on this board; nothing really happens off season. I choose to say that the atmosphere stinks. I'd like to ban the word Apologista.

If you don't see the line ... Maybe you've got the problem.

Pudge, the true is, but unfortunately this is about a mindset that extends way oustside the boundries of the Bone yard. The boneyard, a microcosm of society is more than an exchange it is one big editorial. I admit it, I like to spread my wings and be heard. Everyone that posts does and thats what is fun about this blog. We get to be beat reporters for a day.

The problem is, many mimick the Main Street media which is always negative. Be honest, when do you here real positive news anywhere. All the media wants to report is tragety, anger and hurt. Examples of this are Furgeson Mo., Terrorism and continued political unrest. Even stories about sports stars gone bad, Ray Rice, Peterson, ARod, etc. Every once and a while you hear a positive story. Sports for many of us is a pause away from the mess in the "real world" and it becomes an escape.

When the negativity gets beyond a stage of constructive ideas on how to bring UCONN football back to relevence and instead a continued sarcastic downward spiral then the sane people have to say enough is enough which is what you did.

Our beloved University pays Bob Diaco, 1,500,000 + per year. His career and future are in the balance. Pasqualoni was at the tale end so losing his sweet deal was no big deal. It just padded his retirement plan. Diaco on the other hand has to produce or he will go into the trash bin of big time coach wanna bees! I have confidence that Bob Diaco is going to deliver for UCONN, himself and his family.
Yes, he is under pressure, but he can take the heat, unlike some people who will remain nameless, LOL!

Reaction Score
Pudge, the true is, but unfortunately this is about a mindset that extends way oustside the boundries of the Bone yard. The boneyard, a microcosm of society is more than an exchange it is one big editorial. I admit it, I like to spread my wings and be heard. Everyone that posts does and thats what is fun about this blog. We get to be beat reporters for a day.

The problem is, many mimick the Main Street media which is always negative. Be honest, when do you here real positive news anywhere. All the media wants to report is tragety, anger and hurt. Examples of this are Furgeson Mo., Terrorism and continued political unrest. Even stories about sports stars gone bad, Ray Rice, Peterson, ARod, etc. Every once and a while you hear a positive story. Sports for many of us is a pause away from the mess in the "real world" and it becomes an escape.

When the negativity gets beyond a stage of constructive ideas on how to bring UCONN football back to relevence and instead a continued sarcastic downward spiral then the sane people have to say enough is enough which is what you did.

Our beloved University pays Bob Diaco, 1,500,000 + per year. His career and future are in the balance. Pasqualoni was at the tale end so losing his sweet deal was no big deal. It just padded his retirement plan. Diaco on the other hand has to produce or he will go into the trash bin of big time coach wanna bees! I have confidence that Bob Diaco is going to deliver for UCONN, himself and his family.
Yes, he is under pressure, but he can take the heat, unlike some people who will remain nameless, LOL!

Hey Pudge are these the kinds of posts that make you proud?

it. I'm not letting you guys win. I'll continue to post until Fishy says enough and I'm not changing one damn bit.

Reaction Score
For all of you interested go over to the 1k thread and see what a good look all these positive posters are putting forth.

Reaction Score
I don't think it's silly at all. It's basic respect.

I read. Disagree. Have gotten slammed. But ... I'm not going to sit back & see someone badgered.

Here is what you call badgering: I posted in the Pete Carroll thread that he was an idiot for not running the ball 4 times with Lynch. I commented that with 1:06 left with a TO there was enough time to do that. Mets2323 claimed it wasn't true. We argued about it (although I'm not sure it's even debatable, but ok).

He then starts a drama queen thread quoting a poem that was meant to pick a fight with me, whaler, and CHB. Anyone who reads that thread and comes to the conclusion that we chased him off is a damn fool.

I think this thread should be burned with fire and then nuked.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
Yeah it would be like the same small group of posters, rehashing the same topics and bashing each other.

Only they care enough to put money behind it.

I gotta stop working from home, I read this place and think... "gosh, it's a looong offseason ahead". How long till spring practice?
Which is a great way to stifle a free flow of different ideas. I can't understand is why people can't agree to disagree without slinging mud.

Based on when the Spring game typically is, Spring Practice starts on or around March 9.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
itgoeslike said:
I agree that the 5-19 mark is the driver for the drop off in fan interest. However, I take issue with your 1/8 number. You are using the turnstile number at miserable SMU game to imply average attendance for 2014. All things being equal, the number is closer to 2/3 than the 1/8 number you are suggesting. We don't need any help making it look any worse than it already is.

2014: 27,461
2013: 30,892
2012: 34,672
2011: 36,668
2010: 38,248
2009: 38,229
2008: 39,331

It think it's a very positive thing that you posted this. In the universe of top level CFB, The RE years were at its best mediocre when compared to the long history of the sport. And yet, we sold out the building right through the end of his tenure.

So now, as we measure the state of the program anything below and average of 36k should be a glaring four alarm warning. We all know the Michigan game kept people on board for an extra year despite the AAC CR apocalypse. So now that the full effect of the P Era and BD's foundation year can be seen it equates to a 25% drop it fan interest with a further drop to come this season.

I don't know what business the rest of y ' all are in but a 25%+ drop in customers is a pretty huge deal. To put it in perspective, the PSU scandal bottomed out with a drop in attendance of about 15%. So in at least one way, our on the field performance has been more damaging to the program than a child sex scandal.

You have to choke down a whole lot of daisies and rainbows to put a positive spin on it.

Is that too negative?

Reaction Score
What stinks is the win total. Anyone who is happy with 3 followed 2 needs to reassess his value system.

What doesn't help is the bizarre public comments of our coach. After a blow out he treated as an exhibition game, he stands in front of the assembled press and says "BYU was our partner in getting better." In my humble opinion, going ballistic is the absolute correct response to that spit. I am way past caring about vitamin D. Show me vitamin W.

Everyone on this board thinks they are the smartest (and I would add most rational) guy in the room. And since we all in separate rooms, you're right. I have no problem with anyone letting it fly. I have no problem with that chapachewey guy who I can't even understand. Even the hate that some spew at the program is really just upside love, they wouldn't be here otherwise.

I try (and fail) to live by two simple rules. Respond to the post not the poster. It's fair to criticize the performance of players but not the players themselves. The coaches are paid to take the heat, fire away. That's three rules, so what?

Anyhow, I am a UConn alum, so I'm stuck. And I let UConn reach into my pocket, so I feel my opinion is paid for. I support the team in numerous meaningful ways. Posting on the Boneyard is not one of them. Posting here is celebrating or venting or therapy or all three at the same time. There is no rational reason for anyone to come here. It is part food fight, pity party and a cry in the wilderness that you are not alone. Clean it up and there will find another layer of insanity underneath like a demented onion. I suspect it is similar in knitting or sailing message boards.

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
For all of you interested go over to the 1k thread and see what a good look all these positive posters are putting forth.
See, we can't just have pudge whining about the negativity, we have you rescind your self-imposed ban after half an hour and then whine about the whiners. This place is awesome.

RedSoloCup

2 golf tournaments...
Reaction Score
Which is a great way to stifle a free flow of different ideas. I can't understand is why people can't agree to disagree without slinging mud.

Based on when the Spring game typically is, Spring Practice starts on or around March 9.
the spring game is usually mid-April, right?

Reaction Score
See, we can't just have pudge whining about the negativity, we have you rescind your self-imposed ban after half an hour and then whine about the whiners. This place is awesome.

It's pointing out the hypocrisy.

mets1090

Probably returning some video tapes...
Reaction Score
What stinks is the win total. Anyone who is happy with 3 followed 2 needs to reassess his value system.

What doesn't help is the bizarre public comments of our coach. After a blow out he treated as an exhibition game, he stands in front of the assembled press and says "BYU was our partner in getting better." In my humble opinion, going ballistic is the absolute correct response to that spit. I am way past caring about vitamin D. Show me vitamin W.

Everyone on this board thinks they are the smartest (and I would add most rational) guy in the room. And since we all in separate rooms, you're right. I have no problem with anyone letting it fly. I have no problem with that chapachewey guy who I can't even understand. Even the hate that some spew at the program is really just upside love, they wouldn't be here otherwise.

I try (and fail) to live by two simple rules. Respond to the post not the poster. It's fair to criticize the performance of players but not the players themselves. The coaches are paid to take the heat, fire away. That's three rules, so what?

Anyhow, I am a UConn alum, so I'm stuck. And I let UConn reach into my pocket, so I feel my opinion is paid for. I support the team in numerous meaningful ways. Posting on the Boneyard is not one of them. Posting here is celebrating or venting or therapy or all three at the same time. There is no rational reason for anyone to come here. It is part food fight, pity party and a cry in the wilderness that you are not alone. Clean it up and there will find another layer of insanity underneath like a demented onion. I suspect it is similar in knitting or sailing message boards.

/thread

Reaction Score
The important thing is to obey the rules around here. As it's always been. As it always is with everything - rules exist for a reason. Rules can be changed, and not all rules are good and they should be up for debate periodically for change if necessary. But they do exist, they exist for a reason, and they should be followed, and when not followed, it should be corrected.

The only rule I'm aware of that applies to everyone in this forum specifically online qualitatively, (Obviously - rules about content, etc. that cross lines in the real world and all internet discussion aren't allowed - i.e.cyber bullying, and worse.....not allowed, and I'm sure monitored effectivey) but other than that -

The only rule I know of that applies across the spectrum is the rule about not being a . It's the only rule that I ever broke and was scolded for. So it's the only rule I know. I have my own rules, and that really boils down to not writing things that I wouldn't be willing to say directly to someone, but that doesn't apply to anyone else.

So FWIW: I'm not judge and jury, but if I was, watching and reading, I nominate this discussion as particularly douchey. By extension, whatever led up to it, and fed into it to create it is also particularly douchey.

I expect punishment to be meted quickly and authortively, and my recommendation for such punishment is a powerful scolding from the powers that be, followed by a complete shut down everything for the next 10 minutes and watch this.

Bonehead

'Ollie North of the Cesspool'
Reaction Score
Nice Pudge. Leaders lead when times are tough. Saw American Sniper last night, wow! What a leader! Chris Kyle was one tough dude! My new hero. We got to say positive when things get tough. UCONN fans (football, Mens & Womens bball, hockey, soccer, field hockey, baseball have enjoyed tremendous success over the years. Many fans are spoiled and perhaps don't fully comprehend how much we have accomplished. 4 down years in football is not going to kill the Dog! Go UCONN! Still alive after the dismantling of the Big East. UCONN is not dead yet.

Thank you Chris Kyle for your tremendous sacrifice so we can play on the Boneyard!
View attachment 8367

Be like Chris Kyle and not a bone head like this guy!
View attachment 8366

HEY!

:)

Bonehead

Reaction Score
There have been over 4900 people register for the Boneyard over the years and I would venture to guess there are less than 100 regular posters on the FB site (probably closer to 50). Ever wonder why that is?

I just read the story about the commits bonding and it was quite interesting, when compared to the group of people who post here.

Well said - however. If the Boneyard started yesterday everyone would be bonding until the point in which personalities get in the way - The same thing will eventually happen with the 2015 commits - its human nature. They will NOT all be bonded brothers 4-5 years from today.

Reaction Score
What is the badgering you refer to? As far as I know we aren't kids in grammar school with a few bullies. Art has gone all out assault mode when he sees fit has called me an idiot when he felt it warranted. I don't cry about it. Its his opinion in that moment, ill live. I don't generally resort to name calling as you say out of basic respect but it doesn't mean everything has to be sunshine and rainbows.

I respect your posts and what you bring to the board but this thread is a giant fail. There is no us vs them, respectful vs disrespectful, there are differences in opinion on where the program is going. Diaco says polarizing sheet based off the fact that what he says rarely matches what an objective person sees, but when I thought Whaler was being overly negative on Diaco's use of the preferred walk on program, I told him so and he didn't go apesheet over it. People need to be less sensitive or at the very least don't read or be bothered by so much by the words of an anonymous poster on a message board.

In hope of creating a positive thought for a moment, I tried to fight my way through that preferred walk on discussion, but I didn't get through it all. Diaco apparently said something about "serving your state university" I guess - I do not know what the exact quote was - but it ruffled somebody. I get that. I don't think it would annoy me enough to actually write about it, but I get that it could annoy somebody. Playing football at your flagship land grant state college, doesn't for me - conjure up words of "service" to a community - whatever that community may be, or whatever the service may be - from helping deliver Christmas trees to old ladies living alone, or being knee deep in crap on some other continent fighting an enemy that wants to kill you.

What service could mean - is serving the actual football team itself, because there are other people there, that can use your help. Diaco just has a very big vocabulary, and uses words that can invoke lots of thought and meaning. Good? Bad? It's not boring.

As for the preferred walk on status itself, I disagree that it's a bad thing. I think what Diaco is doing locally with this, is very, very good. He's selling UCONN as a desireable location. We're pulling local kids from high profile schools, and we're doing it with the strength of the school. You're not getting a kid from Gunnery as PWO, paying his own way, if you're not doing something good. Many other examples.

These kids are coming in with desire to get a quality education, at an instiution that they respect, and that they are highly motivated to contribute to the football team as best they can.

That is a win, a big time win.

Unfortunately, it's not the kind of win that matters in the long term really. Those start to become available again in September, and there are only 12 a year.

That is the lesson that Diaco needs to demonstrate that he's learned and can achieve better results.

Reaction Score
Hey Pudge are these the kinds of posts that make you proud?

it. I'm not letting you guys win. I'll continue to post until Fishy says enough and I'm not changing one damn bit.

Thats the spirit Jimmy. Now that you have done a reverse, please tell, blond or brunette?

Reaction Score
HEY!

:)
we may not always agree but I know you are no Al Sharpton. I will officially take the association of bonehead away from him. I will call him a Piss Ant! I had a coach from Tennessee once tell me that there was nothing lower than a Piss Ant!

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
Confident Carl said:

How did a anyone think P was going to be a good idea? It seems so obvious stated this way.

Bonehead

Reaction Score
The published attendance for SMU was 22,921. Having said that, I don't necessarily disagree that "no shows" collectively were at a higher run rate over the past couple of years. Anyhow, you get my drift.

If there were 22,921 at SMU I am the BEST, must informed, know everything behind the scenes poster on this forum...

That being said we all know the UConn FB attendance numbers are NOT accurate since the losing began - oh boy, I just made an assumption we would all agree - that was silly.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom