It's a good time to draw the line ... | Page 3 | The Boneyard

It's a good time to draw the line ...

Status
Not open for further replies.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
@JimmySerrano I don't think anyone is saying that they don't want to read differing opinions JS. That's part of the attraction of the board. I do think there is a difference between discussion or debate and just bickering. The guys who just argue for arguments sake do crap up the board IMO.

Reaction Score
This is what happens when teams are at rock bottom gents. Nothing more. Nothing less. Each side has a point. Diaco stunk up the joint - mostly by the fact his team never improved and by all accounts got worse. That's not a good sign. On the other hand, we don't have any choice but to go into next season will spirits high and with optimism that Diaco will be on firmer footing and his system will start showing progress. Plus, some the recruits he is bringing in look mighty big and nasty. So, lets not draw lines and appreciate the fact we are all just dealing with being in the gutter in our way. I doubt there is a single person who doesn't want a return to the days of winning.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
Here's the thing - if you're going to chose the blind faith route, that's fine.

Just when people want to have a real discussion, stay out of it.

You can't chime into a debate, call someone out and then when called to task on it, resort to "You're just negative".

There's a lot of data points available to form an educated opinion of what's going on. If people want to ignore it, fine. Just don't try and debate something if you have nothing to back it up.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Your life must be a real joy with all these positive vibes you give out each and every day

I'm sorry that if someone says the team improved and the scoreboard says something different I point it out.

My life is just fine - I don't need to pretend. I am quite comfortable with honest assessments of evidence.

Reaction Score
No you are making it up as you go. Biggest name callers? Nice strawman. You must be proud to have gained Whaler status on here. You are one of probably 6/7 people on here that just drive people away. Of course you, like Whaler11, never ever see your part in the negative vibe around here. Realists rarely do.

Yes you are one of the biggest name callers on the board. That's not an opinion. There are plenty of posts from you in this forum. You were one of the most negative people on the board during P's tenure. But that was ok because in your mind it was justified. Funny and ironic that Joyce is one of your favorite posters.

Reaction Score
You know what PUDGE, you want to draw lines and chase people away on the same day you chastised whaler and I for doing the very same thing, you win.

This is my last post ever on this board. I hope you're happy. And I hope the rest of you whiny little girls enjoy this board a lot more now without my opinions.

I'll still be at the games and despite my statements last month I'll probably renew. But I have no desire to be part of a community any longer that feels the need to determine what can and can't be said. You want filtered dialogue that is great. I want no part of this any more.

I'm out.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
sportsart said:
You look at it as 4 straight losing seasons. I see it as we just got done with season 1 of a "program rebuild" to fix the destruction of the program by PP & GDL.

A program rebuild is different from a team rebuild.

A positive outlook is much more fun to have.

This is the equivalent of, "I'll start my diet, tomorrow. "

If anything the board is too pollyanna given how bad things have been for the program. It's great to have hope, we all have hope. Some of us are beginning to feel foolish about continuing to have it in the face of the same old, same old.

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
I did make a (since deleted?) "Death of UConn Football" thread this season, so I guess I'll chime in. I'm generally a positive guy, I go to almost every game, cheer through thick and thin (though it's gotten harder each of the last 4 years). I believe Diaco is recruiting high character guys with potential, and given enough time, Diaco will turn things around here. Why do I believe that? I choose to. There's no rational evidence - yet - to support those conclusions. Why should I be upset if someone "calls me out" for choosing to believe that? It's true! Or that the recruits, generally, don't have the same comparable offers that maybe we used to. Also true! Doesn't change what I choose to believe. I think Diaco is smart enough to learn and evolve, and I think he'll be better at getting the most out of kids.

People attach emotion to facts, which puzzles me. This season was the worst UConn Football season ever. That doesn't make me happy to say, but it is what it is. I think we all hope next season will be better.

Some folks didn't like the death thread, and that's fine, but that's where we were at that point in the season - searching for bottom. If anything I was too early in the proclamation. But, somewhat lost in the point of that thread, was that before you can hope to be reborn, you have to die first. It's ok to have irrational hope. We are fans.

PS - starting a thread saying "not gonna name names" when EVERYONE knew you were referring to, at the very least, Whaler... Come on, man. That's just silly.

Reaction Score
You know what PUDGE, you want to draw lines and chase people away on the same day you chastised whaler and I for doing the very same thing, you win.

This is my last post ever on this board. I hope you're happy. And I hope the rest of you whiny little girls enjoy this board a lot more now without my opinions.

I'll still be at the games and despite my statements last month I'll probably renew. But I have no desire to be part of a community any longer that feels the need to determine what can and can't be said. You want filtered dialogue that is great. I want no part of this any more.

I'm out.

Hey Jimmy, before you go, I have to ask one question. Are you the blond or the brunette in the picture?

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
I did make a (since deleted?) "Death of UConn Football" thread this season, so I guess I'll chime in. I'm generally a positive guy, I go to almost every game, cheer through thick and thin (though it's gotten harder each of the last 4 years). I believe Diaco is recruiting high character guys with potential, and given enough time, Diaco will turn things around here. Why do I believe that? I choose to. There's no rational evidence - yet - to support those conclusions. Why should I be upset if someone "calls me out" for choosing to believe that? It's true! Or that the recruits, generally, don't have the same comparable offers that maybe we used to. Also true! Doesn't change what I choose to believe. I think Diaco is smart enough to learn and evolve, and I think he'll be better at getting the most out of kids.

People attach emotion to facts, which puzzles me. This season was the worst UConn Football season ever. That doesn't make me happy to say, but it is what it is. I think we all hope next season will be better.

Some folks didn't like the death thread, and that's fine, but that's where we were at that point in the season - searching for bottom. If anything I was too early in the proclamation. But, somewhat lost in the point of that thread, was that before you can hope to be reborn, you have to die first. It's ok to have irrational hope. We are fans.

PS - starting a thread saying "not gonna name names" when EVERYONE knew you were referring to, at the very least, Whaler... Come on, man. That's just silly.

He also named names in a thread like 3 hours prior so it was funny.

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
I disagreed when HFD was booted, but I know he was a habitual line stepper. Now we are at the point where people not being arbitrarily positive enough aren't welcome? Come on. No one else sees the irony that somehow it's ok to chase certain folks away? Why are we chasing ANY UConn football fans away at all? People have choices in what threads/posts/handles they want to follow or ignore, and what drama they choose to feel from them.

CL82

Reaction Score

If he didn't name names but "everyone knew who he was referring to" doesn't that kind of show that there's a pretty significant issue?

Don't get side track by the "can't be negative" red herring, that every troll in the world throws out. The issue as I see it, isn't about having a different opinion, it's about bickering, straw man arguments, and red herrings, that cause thread to become so bogged down that they aren't worth reading, even if there's a valid point to be discussed. I don't think I need to say, but I'm very sure that you aren't included in the criticisms Mike. You are great contributor to the board.

CL82

Reaction Score
Every family is dysfunctional. Just embrace it. At the end of the day we all want UConn to be successful.
It doesn't mean you want to talk politics with Crazy Uncle Steve.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
Don't get side track by the "can't be negative" red herring, that every troll in the world throws out. The issue as I see it, isn't about having a different opinion, it's about bickering, straw man arguments, and red herrings, that cause thread to become so bogged down that they aren't worth reading, even if there's a valid point to be discussed.

When someone, myself included, makes an observation that is taken as negative, instead of debating someone, the "other side" if you will goes nuts and just says you must be a miserable person, why do you choose to be negative.

It's those people that make up the red herrings, and strawman arguments.

Like, I said, please look at what Carl wrote from my response above. That's on me? Please.

Reaction Score
He also named names in a thread like 3 hours prior so it was funny.

Look. Have some remorse. You & the other guy chased a guy off. I am not thrilled with this behavior.

I also believe this is generational & you don't get it. You're a young snow guy & knocking over older guys is fun for you here.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
If he didn't name names but "everyone knew who he was referring to" doesn't that kind of show that there's a pretty significant issue?

Don't get side track by the "can't be negative" red herring, that every troll in the world throws out. The issue as I see it, isn't about having a different opinion, it's about bickering, straw man arguments, and red herrings, that cause thread to become so bogged down that they aren't worth reading, even if there's a valid point to be discussed. I don't think I need to say, but I'm very sure that you aren't included in the criticisms Mike. You are great contributor to the board.

For one not naming names is a bit of a lie. Since he's made the accusations about a dozen times - it hardly confirms them as truth when he just 'doesn't name names'.

The irony of course is that many of the arguments are started in threads like this one -created as a personal attack by a holier than thou poster. It's the same thing over and over - personal attacks because that the only resort when you can't debate the issues.

This is someone who thinks posters have reduced interest in the board... while ignoring that attendance is 1/8 it was in the past. Gee I wonder if those two things are related to 5-19?

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Look. Have some remorse. You & the other guy chased a guy off. I am not thrilled with this behavior.

I also believe this is generational & you don't get it. You're a young e guy & knocking over older guys is fun for you here.

As usual you are wrong. 1. I don't know who you are even talking about? We chased a guy off? Art?

2. I'm not that young and I other than a handful of people I've met I don't even know how old most are.

Reaction Score

I also believe this is generational & you don't get it. You're a young e guy & knocking over older guys is fun for you here.

I have to chime in here. You should be ashamed of yourself for creating this thread. You're chasing me off, but I guess your behavior is warranted because your opinion is so valuable. Whaler and I are not young kids and the guys we argue with are straight out of college. Honestly, you are an .

You have a guy who gets so emotional in his arguments that he can't avoid name calling and negative attacks. This poster knows who he is.

You have guys who actually made an argument that this league is as good or better than the old BE. We're supposed to ignore the reality? Do I think I know more football than a guy who makes that claim? Yes I do.

What's funny is that whaler and I were 2 of the biggest Apologistas this board knew. It's funny that when things were good we defended the program against all kinds of silly and stupid attacks. I battled Zoo plenty over the years but never took anything personal. I think he's a solid poster. Did I whine and cry when people called me names when Edsall was here? Did I start a thread about drawing lines? No, I simply used facts and evidence to support my opinions. I think Zoo still looks silly when he and others knock Edsall given where we are now.

I promise this is my last post and you'll never hear from me again. You've chased me off the board by starting a thread criticizing people for chasing guys off. You must be proud.

FYI - I've received several IM's from people not named whaler asking me not to leave and stating how disgusted they are with this thread. I could name names but unlike you, I really won't.

CL82

Reaction Score
When someone, myself included, makes an observation that is taken as negative, instead of debating someone, the "other side" if you will goes nuts and just says you must be a miserable person, why do you choose to be negative.

It's those people that make up the red herrings, and strawman arguments.

Like, I said, please look at what Carl wrote from my response above. That's on me? Please.
Hmmn, I think this this is last one of these I'm going to do, but I wouldn't include you as someone who mucks up the board. If I see your avatar in a thread I typically read your posts because I think you typically make good points in a interesting way. I think it is a mistake to view this as a "sides" issue. I think it is a couple of guys who, like I've said above, like to bicker rather than discuss. You aren't one of them, in my opinion, but I didn't start this thread.

Reaction Score
For one not naming names is a bit of a lie. Since he's made the accusations about a dozen times - it hardly confirms them as truth when he just 'doesn't name names'.

The irony of course is that many of the arguments are started in threads like this one -created as a personal attack by a holier than thou poster. It's the same thing over and over - personal attacks because that the only resort when you can't debate the issues.

This is someone who thinks posters have reduced interest in the board... while ignoring that attendance is 1/8 it was in the past. Gee I wonder if those two things are related to 5-19?

I agree that the 5-19 mark is the driver for the drop off in fan interest. However, I take issue with your 1/8 number. You are using the turnstile number at miserable SMU game to imply average attendance for 2014. All things being equal, the number is closer to 2/3 than the 1/8 number you are suggesting. We don't need any help making it look any worse than it already is.

2014: 27,461
2013: 30,892
2012: 34,672
2011: 36,668
2010: 38,248
2009: 38,229
2008: 39,331

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
I agree that the 5-19 mark is the driver for the drop off in fan interest. However, I take issue with your 1/8 number. You are using the turnstile number at miserable SMU game to imply average attendance for 2014. All things being equal, the number is closer to 2/3 than the 1/8 number you are suggesting. We don't need any help making it look any worse than it already is.

2014: 27,461
2013: 30,892
2012: 34,672
2011: 36,668
2010: 38,248
2009: 38,229
2008: 39,331

Yes obviously it's 1/8th comparing SMU to a published sell out which I'm using to make a point.

Probably about half the attendance has disappeared.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
If I see your avatar in a thread I typically read your posts because I think you typically make good points in a interesting way.

Thanks and same with yours.

I think I'm done with this thread for now. No more good can come of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Darkbloom

Top Bottom