It's a good time to draw the line ... | Page 2 | The Boneyard

It's a good time to draw the line ...

Status
Not open for further replies.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
I happen to believe HCBD will fix this mess. The alternative is not something I care to dwell on.

Case in point.

I went into the season optimistic that HCBD was going to turn things around.

Most of us we're willing to give him a pass on the record - just wanted to see improvement.

After BYU I was concerned based on the actual things I saw on the field. The bizarre substitutions, play calling, clock management and post game quotes for his reasoning. I voiced that opinion right after the game.

As the season went on, it only got worse culminating in the season ending loss to SMU.

This off season has left me very concerned with the recruits we're bringing in.

If you want to say that I'm an hole and driving people away that's fine. I have a seasons worth of data to go on and very early on I felt the same way with P after the Vandy game.

This all doesn't mean HCBD can't be successful.

I just chose to call it like I see it and not sugar coat it.

PS - The fact that message board posters are killing fan interest and not 4 straight losing seasons is BS. I post my opinion on the basketball board the way I see it too. Doesn't seem to affect fan interest there. That or we just won a national title.

Reaction Score
I consider myself an optimist. I believe that every year is going to be a good year. UCONN football made me fall in love with this university and not go to Rhode Island, Seton Hall, University of Hartford or New Haven. So every year I'm going to say that this year will be better than the last. I did it when Edsall was here, when P was here and I'll do it now with Diaco. I believe it more so now than ever with the recruits both scholarship and preferred walk on coming in.

I don't think the sky is falling or the program is close to dying. I think this season is going to fix a lot of the problems we've been seeing the last few years.

Reaction Score
Case in point.

Most of us we're willing to give him a pass on the record - just wanted to see improvement.

After BYU I was concerned based on the actual things I saw on the field. The bizarre substitutions, play calling, clock management and post game quotes for his reasoning. I voiced that opinion right after the game.

As the season went on, it only got worse culminating in the season ending loss to SMU.

If you want to say that I'm an hole and driving people away that's fine. I have a seasons worth of data to go on and very early on I felt the same way with P after the Vandy game.

PS - The fact that message board posters are killing fan interest and not 4 straight losing seasons is BS. I post my opinion on the basketball board the way I see it too. Doesn't seem to affect fan interest there. That or we just won a national title.

You look at it as 4 straight losing seasons. I see it as we just got done with season 1 of a "program rebuild" to fix the destruction of the program by PP & GDL.

A program rebuild is different from a team rebuild.

A positive outlook is much more fun to have.

Reaction Score
I'm optimistic about the football program. I like what Diaco has done with recruiting. What killed the program during the PP years (besides GDL,...) is PP had some of UConn's highest recruited classes, but we lost too many recruits including many who never made it to campus. You can't have that happen when you are a development program. I think Diaco will do much better job retaining recruits and I LOVE the preferred walk-on strategy.

Did I like what I saw last season? No, but I am willing to give Diaco time to right the ship. I think he learned a lot last year and we will see improvement.

Finally, people need to stop being so negative and then defend themselves by calling themselves realists. Step away for a few months.

Reaction Score
Not too far from this typing ... you can find 2 guys repeatedly going after a guy. Then when he says he won't be around much anymore, they triumphantly make fun of him.

Is that respect in your house? Badger til the other side is goine?

Reaction Score
How many coaches would look great with 65 players and a 2nd string QB ?

This wasn't supposed to be a 1 year fix. I get that it looked terrible, and if it looks no better next season, my opinion will probably be adjusted...but for now, i choose not to up the board with more negativity that there already is.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
Although I somewhat dislike the idea of this thread because it seeks to call certain posters out (I may be one of them for my criticisms of Diaco throughout last year's season), I think something important has come from it. And that is the idea that some who lurk on the Boneyard do not feel entirely comfortable to post here, due to the...vigor...of how some argue their points. I'm sure I can be included in that grouping.

Having said that, I'm thinking of either starting a thread or having the rest of this thread become a tool where those who "read more, type less" can get some ideas out there. Something like the 1,000-posts-or-less thread. Something to see some fresh avatars around here and get other people talking. The greatest victory of the Boneyard is that it has brought thousands of insane people together in one unified, NSA-watched program. I'm happy to call it my home, and I want to make sure that others are happy to do the same. Maybe I'll start a thread and then not post in it. But it would be great if someone new started it for me, so that I could do the lurking... :p

Reaction Score
Case in point.

Your post is really funny. I wanna hope you were just kidding but I am afraid you were being quite serious. Here is what it sounded like to me..
Sentence 1 - HCBD Failed - Did not turn program around in year 1
Sentence 2 - HCBD's team showed no improvement
Sentence 3 - HCBD should have beat BYU
Sentence 4- Really Really suck because we got blown away by SMU
Sentence 5- HCBD brought in lousy recruits, this disturbs you

Now that's okay, you are entitled to your opinion.....
BUT HERE WAS THE REALLY FUNNY PART - THIS DOESN'T MEAN THAT HCBS CAN"T BE SUCCESSFUL! LOL, LOL

Now, sorry but I am not going to sugar coat this. I think you might be an hole!

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Your post is really funny. I wanna hope you were just kidding but I am afraid you were being quite serious. Here is what it sounded like to me..

BUT HERE WAS THE REALLY FUNNY PART - THIS DOESN'T MEAN THAT HCBS CAN"T BE SUCCESSFUL! LOL, LOL

It's posts like this that makes it hard to be nice to people. This post is filled with strawmen and stupidity.

Oh it's ok for Confident Carl to call people names because he's so positive.

Reaction Score
It's pretty simple. If you don't want to hear a viewpoint different than yours and you don't like the way those people say things use the ignore button.

This is absurd and childish.

Why not use a little of your own advice? Then you'll understand how most threads are not understandable because you don't know who people are responding to. (though the guess is pretty easy).

Your comment about us being "absurd and childish" is quite telling.

Reaction Score
There are topics posted on this forum that I know don't interest me from the title alone. I just don't click on them. There are some posters whose posts are too long for me. Most times I don't read them. I ignore just about any post from chapvildawg or whatever his handle is.

This isn't hard. If people want to stay away that is their perogative. No one is forcing them away.

Reaction Score
Although I somewhat dislike the idea of this thread because it seeks to call certain posters out (I may be one of them for my criticisms of Diaco throughout last year's season), I think something important has come from it. And that is the idea that some who lurk on the Boneyard do not feel entirely comfortable to post here, due to the...vigor...of how some argue their points. I'm sure I can be included in that grouping.

Dan, I'm not sure if you can be included in the group. For every criticism of Diaco you've made, there has been a 13-0 National Championship projection.

I suppose it could be said you vigorously argue for both camps...

Reaction Score
It's posts like this that makes it hard to be nice to people. This post is filled with strawmen and stupidity.

Oh it's ok for Confident Carl to call people names because he's so positive.

Hey Jimmy, us positive guys can get a little gnarly too! We know how to get down! You know what they say in football, you gotta stay low. LOL! I was being quite positive and although more crude than my usual brite and sunny posts, I felt it a rather accurate appraisal of the situation ol boy! PS you cheated you didn't cut and paste CONNhuskbask's post's which (propaganda)is unfair since it was an important part of my post. After all he said if I wanted to call him an hole that was fine! I love it when you guys get all defensive. Your funny too!
images

Last edited:
Reaction Score
That's like winning a beauty pageant in a pig sty. You, sir, are the prettiest pig... ;)

(just for reference, I'm the third pig from the right...the one that's saying, "We're going 15-o!")
Ahh yes I've seen your film The Practical Pig :) It's ok folks not a word in it about zone blocking!

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score

Year 1 was a failure - doesn't mean his tenure is one -yet.

Considering they lost, at home, to the worst team in FBS the last game of the season, I'd have to say there wasn't much improvement. The O line play improved from Pee Wee level to JV at least.

Never said that. In fact I said going into the season it wasn't about the wins and losses.

Yes. How else would you call it?

Sure, I care about the program and it doesn't seem like we're bringing in a lot of highly sought after kids.

That's what I said and I stand by it. Year 1 was a disaster, but we'll see what year 2 brings.

Because, I deal in reality and not fairy tales? I'll take it.

Reaction Score
Why not use a little of your own advice? Then you'll understand how most threads are not understandable because you don't know who people are responding to. (though the guess is pretty easy).

Your comment about us being "absurd and childish" is quite telling.

I don't need to use the ignore button because people disagreeing with me doesn't hurt my sensitivities.

You're the guy who hates negativity only when you disagree with the opinion. And not that I care but you're one of the biggest name callers on this board.

Reaction Score
It makes sense for each of us to employ a little common-sense filter when possible before we post things. And it's a good idea to highlight the positives of our University Athletics both past and present. And there are plenty in the present. But I have a problem with anyone thinking they get to be the filter for other posters by starting a thread that's supposed to be some kind of referendum on who's opinion is valuable and whose isn't. Makes us look like a bunch of whining crybabies.

Just read through all the posts and it looks like Jimmy kind of beat me to it. So throw me under the bus too I guess.

Reaction Score
I don't need to use the ignore button because people disagreeing with me doesn't hurt my sensitivities.

You're the guy who hates negativity only when you disagree with the opinion. And not that I care but you're one of the biggest name callers on this board.

No you are making it up as you go. Biggest name callers? Nice strawman. You must be proud to have gained Whaler status on here. You are one of probably 6/7 people on here that just drive people away. Of course you, like Whaler11, never ever see your part in the negative vibe around here. Realists rarely do.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
I apologize for chasing 35k people from Rentschler. If only I had posted better there would have been more than 500 people at the end of the Cincinnati and SMU games.

I take full responsibility for the decline in interest in a 5-19 AAC program.

I was blind to the improvement. Going from being mostly competitive with Boise to the performances against SMU and Cincinnati the #uptick was clear.

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
There used to be 40k people at UConn games, now there is 1/8th that amount.

Ever wonder why that is?

Is Stairmaster working on this same post for the basketball board. Does Twitter need to be shut down because of Fishy's comments?

Your life must be a real joy with all these positive vibes you give out each and every day

Reaction Score
The only way to really resolve this is to provide any registered user with the ability to edit anyone else's posts. . .This would enable the user to craft other people's opinions and understanding of the facts so that they more closely resemble that of his or her own. . . (you're welcome.)

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Case in point.

It has been a rough Bball season so far CHB... Just saying.

Reaction Score
I apologize for chasing 35k people from Rentschler. If only I had posted better there would have been more than 500 people at the end of the Cincinnati and SMU games.

I take full responsibility for the decline in interest in a 5-19 AAC program.

I was blind to the improvement. Going from being mostly competitive with Boise to the performances against SMU and Cincinnati the #uptick was clear.

Dude, take a break from the keyboard. Step back.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Darkbloom

Top Bottom