Gonzaga/Big East embers | Page 5 | The Boneyard

Gonzaga/Big East embers

Reaction Score
I like it short-term for sure. Add another powerhouse team. Logistically, the flight out to Spokane sucks, especially if you do like Omaha on Wed and Zags on Sat. Tough back-to-back games. I hope they do keep the round robin schedule though. Getting a crack at a top 5 team though twice a year is nice to have come Selection Sunday.

Long-term, how many years does Few have left? The trip out to Spokane quickly becomes a nightmare if they aren't a top 5/10 team. It would become a chore like flying out to Tulsa was in the AAC. That's my biggest concern.
When the idea was first thrown out there a while back, I liked it, but the travel was obviously a concern. Now that we have played a full season in the Big East with the round robin schedule, Im not so sure how I feel about adding anybody, especially Gonzaga. You bring up a good point about Mark Few. Is Gonzaga going to continue to be a annual top 10 team after he leaves. If they become irrelevent, adding Gonzaga would have been a huge failure. I know you can say that about any school, but the travel would just make that a bad situation.

kobe

Power Conference Enjoyer (Big 12)
Reaction Score
a mid-major conference adding a member on the other side of the country has never backfired.

Reaction Score
a mid-major conference adding a member on the other side of the country has never backfired.

imagine despising the coach your program peaked under!

I'm sure you will settle into a poor man's WVU existence.

Fortunately y'all have a decent recruiting class next year that would give you a recruit higher ranked than all but 9 Huskies

shizzle787

King Shizzle DCCLXXXVII of the Cesspool
Reaction Score
When the idea was first thrown out there a while back, I liked it, but the travel was obviously a concern. Now that we have played a full season in the Big East with the round robin schedule, Im not so sure how I feel about adding anybody, especially Gonzaga. You bring up a good point about Mark Few. Is Gonzaga going to continue to be a annual top 10 team after he leaves. If they become irrelevent, adding Gonzaga would have been a huge failure. I know you can say that about any school, but the travel would just make that a bad situation.
This was a fear I had before but I don't think it's realistic. If Gonzaga could even stay at the level of a Creighton or Xavier after Few leaves it is a home run addition. A perennial tournament team with Gonzaga's name and the Big East will be fine.

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
Maybe they want to be prepared for March

I'll believe it when the ink dries, but I'd absolutely love it

Reaction Score
Risky decision for Gonzaga. Seems like they have a pretty good thing going right now.

RayIsTheGOAT

Sticks, to the rafters
Reaction Score
Regardless of what happens, it's really fun to talk about and pretend it might be real as we just kicked off the 7 month black hole that is the college basketball offseason.

NowInStorrs

The truth is out there.
Reaction Score
The disrespect

Screenshot_20220406-224742.png

Reaction Score
I don't like it but what I do like is a scheduling alliance where Gonzaga, St. Marys, BYU, and San Francisco or Santa Clara (or whoever the 4th and 5th place teams are that year) agree to schedule 2-3 games per year with the top teams in the BE, changing from year to year depending on who those tops teams are. Any of those aforementioned teams would be an improvement over some of the lowest-rated cupcakes scheduled.

Reaction Score
I get why the NOOB would do it. Not sure I get what’s in it for Gonzaga. It sort of has a Butler redux feel. Added them because they went to 2 straight Championship games. Now they are sort of eh. I don’t quite get why the Zags would choose to join an east coast centric league. They have been incredibly successful where they are, playing local opponents and building a huge rep. In the NOOB they are at a huge disadvantage with the travel that doesn’t really even out. They need to travel 1500-3000 miles or more multiple times. Other teams go to them once each. I also have to assume this would be a basketball only deal. Can you imagine shipping your volleyball team across the country for a game? Baseball coming to Elliot for a weekend series?

Reaction Score
This type of move has got to scare the out of programs like PC and Hall. They were bottom dwellers before the OBE fell apart. The smaller, concentrated league has helped them take their programs to the next level.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Darkbloom

Top Bottom