Gonzaga/Big East embers | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Gonzaga/Big East embers

Reaction Score
From Gonzaga's perspective if it ain't broke don't fix it. They win 30 games a year and get high seeds in the tournament and they are going to trade that in for a murderous road schedule? Plus they would have to find a home for their non-revenue sports because no way would they be joining the Big East.

Reaction Score
hearing from a PC friend of a PC insider that FOX is driving this and Zags would be 1 of 3 new teams. two divisions of 7. idk who the others would be. assume 2 other west coast teams?

idk what to believe. all i know for sure is the danger of smoke inhalation is very high right now.
That’s the only way it makes sense as I posted above

Reaction Score
All the risk is on Gonzaga's side, so why not? We get a high-quality basketball opponent. They play baseball as well but not sure how good their teams are.

The baseball games would not benefit UConn for an early West Coast swing since the weather in Spokane in March or April is similar to Connecticut.

RayIsTheGOAT

Sticks, to the rafters
Reaction Score
Lol. I would love it. I can see it being possible if it was basketball only. I can't imagine Gonzaga would do this for all sports...
I think the traveling logistics can be somewhat manageable with remote school. They'd have to group road games together or something?

So for their road trips-

Road trip 1- Xavier, Butler and Depaul

Road trip 2- Providence, UConn, St John's

Road trip 3- Georgetown, Seton Hall, Villanova

Then I think Marquette and Creighton could be one off trips.

Or maybe they keep a 20 game schedule and cut out 2 BE games.

Direct flights to Marquette, Creighton, Depaul aren't too too bad (no more than 3.5 hours for each direct?). The East coast games are a beast though.

But what happens when Few inevitably leaves and the program takes a hit?

NowInStorrs

The truth is out there.
Reaction Score
Two other teams. Mega realignment? Presumably those other teams would have football teams. What happens with those?

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
hearing from a PC friend of a PC insider that FOX is driving this and Zags would be 1 of 3 new teams. two divisions of 7. idk who the others would be. assume 2 other west coast teams?

idk what to believe. all i know for sure is the danger of smoke inhalation is very high right now.
If it's that, as a UConn fan, I'll be praying for an ACC invite.

Reaction Score

Spitballing... MWC is already CBS/Fox, so doesn't make much sense to raid from them. The AAC is dead so maybe Wichita St. and SMU? That doesn't help Gonzaga, but I don't know.

Or maybe St. Mary's and San Francisco?

Reaction Score
Spitballing... MWC is already CBS/Fox, so doesn't make much sense to raid from them. The AAC is dead so maybe Wichita St. and SMU? That doesn't help Gonzaga, but I don't know.

Or maybe St. Mary's and San Francisco?
Wichita St. is realistic, but SMU would never leave for a non-football conference.

Reaction Score
East: PC, UConn,Nova, Seton Hall, St John’s, Gtown, east coast addition

West: Xavier, Marquette, Butler, Creighton, DePaul, Gonzaga, travel partner
i think they'd add 2 more teams to the western division so the travel between the two divisions isnt quite so unbalanced. or maybe doing so makes it even more unbalanced...idk i'm freaking out!

East: PC, UConn, Nova, Seton Hall, St John’s, Gtown, Xavier
West: Marquette, Butler, Creighton, DePaul, Gonzaga, Wichita, St Mary's/San Fran

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Forget traveling that has almost zero effect on UConn. It’s one trip to the west coast every year. We could even begin to recruit out there with a guaranteed game every year. What matters to UConn is the amount of prestige, competition and just overall excitement adding Gonzaga and Mark Few to an already loaded coaching group would be. UConn, Nova, Gonzaga. Xavier with Miller at the top of the BEAST would be incredible. Add in Shaka and MU, Matta and Butler, Cooley and PC, SH and Sha all in the second tier. Man oh man. And if GTown ever got it together. That’s the best basketball conference in the country in a couple of years. Quality wise the BE might be all the way back. NO BRAINER

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
I really like the round robin regular season schedule. The success of the move is basically contingent on Gonzaga sustaining an incredibly high level of success; which to their credit they have been doing it for a long time. The moment they become just another competitive team... this feels a lot less of a good move.

Reaction Score
Wichita St. is realistic, but SMU would never leave for a non-football conference.
i think they'd add 2 more teams to the western division so the travel between the two divisions isnt quite so unbalanced. or maybe doing so makes it even more unbalanced...idk i'm freaking out!

West: Marquette, Butler, Creighton, DePaul, Gonzaga, Wichita, St Mary's
Yeah Wichita, Gonzaga, St. Mary's seems most obvious combination.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
Exactly I highly doubt they'll want to fly across the country for half of their conference games.
willing to bet that Gonzaga has the revenues to sustain that better than UConn that loves to go deep into the overdraft protection the state allows them.

I don't envision Gonzaga signing up for that monster of a road schedule. Fake news.

That team goes anywhere to challenge anyone and has done so for years. Only Coppin State puts more mileage on the odometers

Would love to see Zaga twice a year - it would boost recruitment and make every NBE team that much better

Last edited:

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
Having a team in Washington join the big east is immoral.

The latest IPCC report states that humans must take action now to minimize greenhouse gases if we want future generations to thrive or perhaps even survive. Last week, both poles were about 40C above normal.

Having a team in the state of Washington join the big east will significantly increase the carbon footprint of all the teams in the big east, and that, my fellow big east fans, is immoral. It's steal life from future generations.
This belongs in the Off Topic Archive
Last I heard John Kerry has his own private jet and uses airplanes for travel all over the world

Reaction Score
From Gonzaga's perspective if it ain't broke don't fix it. They win 30 games a year and get high seeds in the tournament and they are going to trade that in for a murderous road schedule? Plus they would have to find a home for their non-revenue sports because no way would they be joining the Big East.
i think from gonzaga's perspective, it is broken though. you can't have 20+ years of success (including five+ years of near dominance) and keep crashing and burning in the postseason without questioning their less-than-ideal conference situation.

as far as the move goes from a uconn fan perspective -- the realist in me is dubious, but the basketball junkie is frothing at the mouth. this is about to get crazy.

Reaction Score
Yeah Wichita, Gonzaga, St. Mary's seems most obvious combination.
or St. Louis. i think 1 west coast team is preferable

West: Marquette, Butler, Creighton, DePaul, Gonzaga, Wichita, StL

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Darkbloom