Gonzaga/Big East embers | The Boneyard

Gonzaga/Big East embers

Reaction Score
They need it more than we do. I think they are realizing going from 100 in pre-conference to 0 in conference then back to 100 in post season makes a national championship extremely difficult.

I would be all for some sort of scheduling partnership - don't think it makes sense for a full stop addition to the league though. Maybe 5 games a year or something just for basketball?

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Hate it. Do not want regular west coast games. It feels desperate.
Absent Fox being willing to add a significant chunk of revenue to our media deal, hard pass.

I think non-geographic conference moves based upon success in a single sport in the moment is pretty much always a mistake

Reaction Score
their board seems to be substantiating this story

"Let's go. Yes, there is risk. Financial benefits of being the whale in a pond..."

with egos big enough to make a PC fan blush they'd fit right in

Last edited:

shizzle787

King Shizzle DCCLXXXVII of the Cesspool
Reaction Score
It probably wouldn’t happen but I would love a 22-game conference schedule if Gonzaga comes.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Why not? We did for 7 seasons. How about a monster home schedule where they get Villanova and UConn instead of Cal St. Fullerton or whatever mid major they play.
I'm not sure you appreciate how far Spokane is. It's 1377 miles from Omaha, the westernmost Big East location. That's further than Hartford to Omaha. It's not comparable to the travel UConn had in the American. It's much, much worse.

Reaction Score
I like it short-term for sure. Add another powerhouse team. Logistically, the flight out to Spokane sucks, especially if you do like Omaha on Wed and Zags on Sat. Tough back-to-back games. I hope they do keep the round robin schedule though. Getting a crack at a top 5 team though twice a year is nice to have come Selection Sunday.

Long-term, how many years does Few have left? The trip out to Spokane quickly becomes a nightmare if they aren't a top 5/10 team. It would become a chore like flying out to Tulsa was in the AAC. That's my biggest concern.

Reaction Score
Maybe they come with a partner and you split big east into 2 divisions

East: PC, UConn,Nova, Seton Hall, St John’s, Gtown, east coast addition

West: Xavier, Marquette, Butler, Creighton, DePaul, Gonzaga, travel partner

Home and home with your division (12 games) and rotating yearly (home/away) with west division for 19 total conference games

Could work but highly doubt it happens unless there’s more than just Gonzaga added. BYU would have been a good partner but they are joining Big 12

Reaction Score
Basketball wise maybe it makes sense, I don't think so but you could convince me. But that's a TON of travel and money for every other D1 sport Gonzaga offers. Maybe they're OK with taking that loss though

borninansonia

Neandertal
Reaction Score
Having a team in Washington join the big east is immoral.

The latest IPCC report states that humans must take action now to minimize greenhouse gases if we want future generations to thrive or perhaps even survive. Last week, both poles were about 40C above normal.

Having a team in the state of Washington join the big east will significantly increase the carbon footprint of all the teams in the big east, and that, my fellow big east fans, is immoral. It's steal life from future generations.

Reaction Score
Wouldn’t mind a game here in LA to make the Spokane trip worthwhile

Reaction Score
hearing from a PC friend of a PC insider that FOX is driving this and Zags would be 1 of 3 new teams. two divisions of 7. idk who the others would be. assume 2 other west coast teams?

idk what to believe. all i know for sure is the danger of smoke inhalation is very high right now.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Darkbloom

Top Bottom