Gonzaga/Big East embers | Page 9 | The Boneyard

Gonzaga/Big East embers

Reaction Score
acc ain't breaking apart, for just money, anytime soon.
start out in Charlottsville, Virginia, and head down one road, i 85, for aboot 500 miles to Atlanta, Georgia. at both ends, and all along the way, there are 8 acc schools on that culturally historic byway, steeped in their ways and values, and nobody is tossing that out to fold into a big 10, or whatever. not for just money. too weird, no way. it would be like putting headphones on a fish.
the funny thing is that if the acc and sec threw in together, well, heck just stamp it the southern conference, and call it a day. back to the future.

travel tip: make the car trip thru that region. a really nice place, and absolutely no accident that all those schools are there. great eats, too.
Ask Maryland. They were classic ACC. They will all leave for more money. FSU, Clemson,UNC, UVA will all be gone and the ACC will need to back fill. It will be a while because they’re all locked into their current deal, but when that ends the ACC as we know it is over.

Those areas are booming you’re right. And that’s why the B1G and SEC will offer to double their ACC payout.

Reaction Score
I’m actually shocked SDSU hasn’t gained any interest from the Pac-12. They’re good at both basketball and football. If the conference wants to add at least one more member I think SDSU is the top priority
Doubt it. The PAC-12 already has 4 California schools in the conference. They already control and dominate the state of California with USC, UCLA, Cal, and Stanford.

San Diego State doesn’t add anything for them.

The PAC can poach from the Big-12 if it wants. They would be smart to call Kansas up.

Nearby on the radar of the PAC-12 is a sneaky popular brand in a populous state:Colorado State.
They also have Boise State a strong brand in a state like Idaho which is experiencing population growth as well.

Reaction Score
Doubt it. The PAC-12 already has 4 California schools in the conference. They already control and dominate the state of California with USC, UCLA, Cal, and Stanford.

The PAC can poach from the Big-12 if it wants. They would be smart to call Kansas up.

Nearby on the radar of the PAC-12 is a sneaky popular brand in a populous state:Colorado State.
They also have Boise State a strong brand in a state like Idaho which is experiencing population growth as well.
Well they’re also like the ACC, where they typically like academics to go with it. That’s why I said SDSU, because they’re a strong academic school and difficult to get into in the 30s for acceptance rate. Pac-12 is set right now I think.

Reaction Score
Well they’re also like the ACC, where they typically like academics to go with it. That’s why I said SDSU, because they’re a strong academic school and difficult to get into in the 30s for acceptance rate. Pac-12 is set right now.

I agree with you that SDSU is a good school, which is why I mentioned them as a potential expansion target for the Big East.
San Diego State would be a great addition to the Big East, which is why I mentioned them as a partner for Gonzaga. It is a good school and a good sports brand. I am in favor of the Aztecs. Other than Boise State who is waiting for a call from the PAC-12 or Big-12, it is the best brand out west left to add.

The PAC-12 doesn't care much for them because they have the state of California secured.

For a 3 team expansion to the Big East, the 2 teams that are locks for Fox and the Big East are Gonzaga and Memphis. For me, San Diego State should be the 3rd school.

A school like SMU could also be in the running for that 3rd slot.

shizzle787

King Shizzle DCCLXXXVII of the Cesspool
Reaction Score
I agree with you that SDSU is a good school, which is why I mentioned them as a potential expansion target for the Big East.
San Diego State would be a great addition to the Big East, which is why I mentioned them as a partner for Gonzaga. It is a good school and a good sports brand. I am in favor of the Aztecs. Other than Boise State who is waiting for a call from the PAC-12 or Big-12, it is the best brand out west left to add.

The PAC-12 doesn't care much for them because they have the state of California secured.

For a 3 team expansion to the Big East, the 2 teams that are locks for Fox and the Big East are Gonzaga and Memphis. For me, San Diego State should be the 3rd school.

No to SDSU. They don't have an institutional fit in the league and they play football. We obviously do as well but we are the exception not the rule.

Reaction Score

Huge no thank you to SDSU. I don’t care about ratings or how good programs are. Not trying to have west coast teams in a east coast-dominant conference.

Reaction Score

"Already has 4 California schools"? 4 is far too few for a state the size of California. The ACC has 10 programs from VA to FLA (granted this will contribute to the ACC demise). Oregon has 2 programs and California has 9 times as many people. UCSD, SDSU, Santa Rosita . . .

Reaction Score
acc ain't breaking apart, for just money, anytime soon.
start out in Charlottsville, Virginia, and head down one road, i 85, for aboot 500 miles to Atlanta, Georgia. at both ends, and all along the way, there are 8 acc schools on that culturally historic byway, steeped in their ways and values, and nobody is tossing that out to fold into a big 10, or whatever. not for just money. too weird, no way. it would be like putting headphones on a fish.
the funny thing is that if the acc and sec threw in together, well, heck just stamp it the southern conference, and call it a day. back to the future.

travel tip: make the car trip thru that region. a really nice place, and absolutely no accident that all those schools are there. great eats, too.
85 goes into Richmond not cville...but point taken

Also that drive is terrible unless u enjoy endless nothing...put down the spliffy

Reaction Score
"Already has 4 California schools"? 4 is far too few for a state the size of California. The ACC has 10 programs from VA to FLA (granted this will contribute to the ACC demise). Oregon has 2 programs and California has 9 times as many people. UCSD, SDSU, Santa Rosita . . .

USC and UCLA cover the entire LA and southern California market. They don't really need SDSU for the San Diego Market. They also don't want competition for recruiting so nearby to them. Arizona and Arizona State are also pretty close to the San Diego area with large followings.

The PAC-12 has that area completely secured. From a tv ratings and revenue perspective the PAC-12 already dominates the area.

Cal and Stanford have good control over the central part and northern part of California. Not to mention that UCLA and USC have appeal and strong followings all across the state of California particularly USC. Oregon right above California has plenty of fans in northern California as well.

PS: Kansas is the best school for PAC-12 to poach right now. They would be smart to call them up. A second team they might look to add would either be a second school in Colorado: Colorado State or Boise State in a growing Idaho.
My money would be on Boise State because Idaho is growing fast and Boise St dominates the entire state market there. Strong football and decent basketball.

SDSU would be 3rd on the list for the PAC-12 if they weren't actively being blocked by other California schools.

PS: For the Big East: Gonzaga and Memphis.

Reaction Score
Ask Maryland. They were classic ACC. They will all leave for more money. FSU, Clemson,UNC, UVA will all be gone and the ACC will need to back fill. It will be a while because they’re all locked into their current deal, but when that ends the ACC as we know it is over.

Those areas are booming you’re right. And that’s why the B1G and SEC will offer to double their ACC payout.
Not so sure. Florida and South Carolina will fight tooth and nail to keep Florida State and Clemson out, and Florida and South Carolina have more influence than Texas A&M. Besides which why would you spend capital on Florida State? They haven’t won their division title since 2014. Haven’t even been ranked since 2016. Be one thing if you needed a team in Florida but they have one.

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score

people here always be like predicting things. so, ok, when exactly is this fearless forecast gonna happen? 5 years? 10 years from now? the 12th of never? when pigs fly?
hook me up, cuz i gotta update the outlook account.
and mary land is located to the east of 1-95, and proximate to the swamp, unlike the others mentioned, all being upcountry and west of 1-95, aka 'another planet.'
nobody there is fishin for crabs, cuz they ain't got none. barbq, on the other hand, well, set right down thar, and hav sum. it's goooooood.
im stickin with no acc exodus, anytime soon or relevant.
the funniest thing for me is that, previous to coming here, and for my entire life till then, i've never had a 'conference' discussion with anyone, anywhere, at anytime. from grammar school right up until then. never cared too much aboot that, but i did like the idea of an AAC, which didn't work out too good.
my conference thoughts previously revolved around 'what channel are we on, and how often are we on.'
this place can do weird stuff to your brain.

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
85 goes into Richmond not cville...but point taken

Also that drive is terrible unless u enjoy endless nothing...put down the spliffy
hey! they even have Christmas TreeTown, USA, on that road.
i haven't yet visited a place where the folks go off, decorate every tree in the town, and wire it all together into one of 'the largest light shows in the country," but i sure would like to. that Billy Graham guy owns a lot of stuff. i mean, a lot of stuff. his name is on almost everything in and around Charlotte. kinda neat actually. couple/tree miles off this road in any direction, often like this stretch with millions living close by, and poof! hill country - folks be gone! also kind of neat, actually. change a few accents and some clothes, and u might as well be in the northeast kingdom in Hampshire, or a whole lot of other places in yankeeland.
we can do this for the entire road, mile by mile.

mebbe u drive to fast.

Reaction Score
It's unclear how or why the latest (and fleeting) Gonzaga-to-Big-East rumor surfaced late last week, but for a day or two there was some confusion about whether something was brewing. It's not. Multiple sources reiterated to CBS Sports that nothing material is happening between the two entities, at least for now.

By any objective measure, Mark Few is overseeing a top-five program and has been for years. The only thing missing is an NCAA championship ... and potentially an improved scheduling template. Maybe these things are connected.

Reaction Score

UNLV is the school not being talked about that should be. They fit the Pac12 research university requirement, they have the market and the new football facilities. I’d expect them to be part of any pac 12 expansion

MJ1

Reaction Score
USC and UCLA cover the entire LA and southern California market. They don't really need SDSU for the San Diego Market. They also don't want competition for recruiting so nearby to them. Arizona and Arizona State are also pretty close to the San Diego area with large followings.

The PAC-12 has that area completely secured. From a tv ratings and revenue perspective the PAC-12 already dominates the area.

Cal and Stanford have good control over the central part and northern part of California. Not to mention that UCLA and USC have appeal and strong followings all across the state of California particularly USC. Oregon right above California has plenty of fans in northern California as well.

PS: Kansas is the best school for PAC-12 to poach right now. They would be smart to call them up. A second team they might look to add would either be a second school in Colorado: Colorado State or Boise State in a growing Idaho.
My money would be on Boise State because Idaho is growing fast and Boise St dominates the entire state market there. Strong football and decent basketball.

SDSU would be 3rd on the list for the PAC-12 if they weren't actively being blocked by other California schools.

PS: For the Big East: Gonzaga and Memphis.
The President’s in the PAC 12 will never take Boise State as they are academically not at a PAC 12 level.

Reaction Score
”Something” will happen.

When the dollar disparity is $50-70M a year, something has to give somewhere.

It could be something crazy like UCLA/USC to the Big Ten or UVA/UNC to the Big Ten…something will definitely happen.

My money would be on Miami.

They provide the best total brand. There is only one U

shizzle787

King Shizzle DCCLXXXVII of the Cesspool
Reaction Score
It's unclear how or why the latest (and fleeting) Gonzaga-to-Big-East rumor surfaced late last week, but for a day or two there was some confusion about whether something was brewing. It's not. Multiple sources reiterated to CBS Sports that nothing material is happening between the two entities, at least for now.

By any objective measure, Mark Few is overseeing a top-five program and has been for years. The only thing missing is an NCAA championship ... and potentially an improved scheduling template. Maybe these things are connected.

If the Gonzaga-Big East marriage does not work out, a scheduling alliance is the next best thing. Gonzaga would play 4 Big East teams a year on a rotating basis (2H + 2A) and cycle through the league in less than three years.

Reaction Score
The President’s in the PAC 12 will never take Boise State as they are academically not at a PAC 12 level.
The narrative about a school's academics and expansion is a bunch of BS. Arizona State has an acceptance rate of 88%. I know some of its programs, like engineering, are very competitive. When the PAC-12 went to expand they took University of Colorado (84% acceptance rate) and the University of Utah (79%). Not bad schools but not exactly academic powerhouses. The PAC-12 took them because they had decent football programs. The question of taking Boise St. is how would adding them add to the coffers of the conference. The analysis starts and ends with that question.

The ACC was supposedly all about academics but when they went looking for another school, they took Louisville, another not so highly rated university.

Expansion is just a business decision. It's all about the Benjamins.

Reaction Score
people here always be like predicting things. so, ok, when exactly is this fearless forecast gonna happen? 5 years? 10 years from now? the 12th of never? when pigs fly?
hook me up, cuz i gotta update the outlook account.
and mary land is located to the east of 1-95, and proximate to the swamp, unlike the others mentioned, all being upcountry and west of 1-95, aka 'another planet.'
nobody there is fishin for crabs, cuz they ain't got none. barbq, on the other hand, well, set right down thar, and hav sum. it's goooooood.
im stickin with no acc exodus, anytime soon or relevant.
the funniest thing for me is that, previous to coming here, and for my entire life till then, i've never had a 'conference' discussion with anyone, anywhere, at anytime. from grammar school right up until then. never cared too much aboot that, but i did like the idea of an AAC, which didn't work out too good.
my conference thoughts previously revolved around 'what channel are we on, and how often are we on.'
this place can do weird stuff to your brain.
2036. That’s when the current grant of rights ends for the ACC.

MJ1

Reaction Score
The narrative about a school's academics and expansion is a bunch of BS. Arizona State has an acceptance rate of 88%. I know some of its programs, like engineering, are very competitive. When the PAC-12 went to expand they took University of Colorado (84% acceptance rate) and the University of Utah (79%). Not bad schools but not exactly academic powerhouses. The PAC-12 took them because they had decent football programs. The question of taking Boise St. is how would adding them add to the coffers of the conference. The analysis starts and ends with that question.

The ACC was supposedly all about academics but when they went looking for another school, they took Louisville, another not so highly rated university.

Expansion is just a business decision. It's all about the Benjamins.
The PAC 12 does not accept teams that do not meet current requirements of being a Tier 1 research institution. Unless the presidents remove the requirement and they won’t for Boise State, lets not make believe this could happen, if the PAC 12 makes an exception it will be a higher level team than Boise State who brings a small TV market and weak Olympic sports as well.

Drew

Its a post, about nothing!
Reaction Score
The PAC 12 does not accept teams that do not meet current requirements of being a Tier 1 research institution. Unless the presidents remove the requirement and they won’t for Boise State, lets not make believe this could happen, if the PAC 12 makes an exception it will be a higher level team than Boise State who brings a small TV market and weak Olympic sports as well.
Bingo. This is not a knock on Boise but they were founded as a community college and are far from a R1 institution. For all the smoke that gets blown in realignment if there’s any leagues that actually do consider the status of a prospective member’s academics it’s the PAC & B1G.

Stanford ain’t associating with Boise State lol

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Darkbloom

Top Bottom