FYI - A bunch of smoke over at the Oklahoma CR Board | Page 5 | The Boneyard

FYI - A bunch of smoke over at the Oklahoma CR Board

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Yes ... Just seems like there's a lot more dissension in the B12. They've lost Colorado, Nebraska, Missouri, and A&M ... no one has left the ACC. See Boren's critique of LHN. The top 3 B12 programs have to be tempted to follow the others who have left.

The ACC did lose Maryland. I agree that Texas' resistance to expand (for self-serving reasons) and OK's frustration is bigger threat to their existence than FSU's dissatisfaction with the ACC, at least for now.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Once you concede travel by airplane, there isn't much of a difference between a 90 minute flight and a three hour flight. Biggest thing to me is the time zone jumping. Going back and forth between time zones can take a toll on the body and the circadian cycle.

Going one time zone is okay. I wouldn't want to be in a conference where there would be any games in Mountain time.

Reaction Score
Once you concede travel by airplane, there isn't much of a difference between a 90 minute flight and a three hour flight. Biggest thing to me is the time zone jumping. Going back and forth between time zones can take a toll on the body and the circadian cycle.

Going one time zone is okay. I wouldn't want to be in a conference where there would be any games in Mountain time.

And yet, for hoops, UConn in the past played home & homes against Arizona.

Reaction Score
Some discussion from the Texas board (shaggy ego.com) about potential expansion candidates

hiphopfroggy

quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by Tom
I don't hate the idea of UConn itself seeing as how it's a state flagship and one of the more prestigious basketball schools in the country (even though they have always and always will suck at football.) But they're another island off all by themselves, just like West Virginia. Just based on their geography alone they will never be in the Big 12. We don't want to be CUSA or the Big East/AAC with random schools spread out all over the country. That is bush league conference organization.

Its actually pretty similar to other conference travel with the addition of Cincinnati and a north south division. Travel would actually improve for the south division. UCONN cincy and wv are all pretty close as are IAst and the Kansas schools. The new additions obviously would agree to get in. WVU would agree based on what their ad has said. IAst has said the best scenario for them is to add two teams and get a break from the OK TX schools so they can win some games and make a bowl game. The south would be one of the best divisions in college football. That leaves the kansas schools but I think they get on board as Kansas UCONN would be primetime must see basketball. Other conferences have tuscon to seattle, miami to boston, college station to gainsville and nebraska to new jersey and maryland. The only reason the Big 12 doesn't have more travel problems is because it doesn't have enough teams to have travel problems. Which don't seem to be problems for other conferences but more of a sign of robust health, stability and upward trajectory.
Last edited by hiphopfroggy; Yesterday at 02:51 PM.

$#@! geography. We have these things called airplanes now. BYU and UConn are the only available programs worth a $#@!.
I think he has some connection to UConn...you should read his derogatory comments about RU/SU/Pitt/BC ...says RU has no fans in the NYC demo. If you follow the thread he's subtly making a case for UConn on LT's..follow the OPs link to read a hundred pages of comment's. Most of those fans have NO CLUE about the NE. But I like to see what they think of us and FB here in the NE.

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
If the B1G was serious about getting New York exposure / New England exposure they would have taken us over Rutgers. We draw less than 15,000 a game for football and that's the only thing that matters. Oklahoma State and Oklahoma, albeit in much smaller markets will win out with football.

Your wrong.

Reaction Score
Kenny Mossman, University of Oklahoma Senior Associate Athletic Director

Coast, do you have a date on that video? It certainly doesn't sound like he is talking expansion any time soon.

UConn Dan

Not HuskyFanDan; I lurk & I like
Reaction Score
Coast, do you have a date on that video? It certainly doesn't sound like he is talking expansion any time soon.
At least he said that the best institutions out there are not geographically close to the big 12. He can only be talking about UConn and BYU

Reaction Score

It's a recent video, about a week old. He was interviewed by a student. Notice how at the beginning he starts spouting the company line about dividing up the pie when adding members, but quickly says "Maybe Not" (now that the cat is out of the bag). The kid who did the inteview said that at the end of the conversation, and he didn't get it on film, there was some talk about the SEC and how the western teams were close to Oklahoma. This was in the context of travel issues.

Reaction Score
It's a recent video, about a week old. He was interviewed by a student. Notice how at the beginning he starts spouting the company line about dividing up the pie when adding members, but quickly says "Maybe Not" (now that the cat is out of the bag). The kid who did the inteview said that at the end of the conversation, and he didn't get it on film, there was some talk about the SEC and how the western teams were close to Oklahoma. This was in the context of travel issues.

If the GoR is penetrable enough that the SEC could nab Oklahoma, then it likely could also try to poach an ACC team. I could see Oklahoma and NC State to the SEC, with Oklahoma in a geographically reasonable division with TAMU, LSU, and Arkansas. Mizzou goes in a division with Vandy, Kentucky, and Tennesee, the Alabama schools go with the Mississippi schools, and Florida goes in with Georgia, SC, and NC State. Expands the league's footprint into Big 12 and ACC territory while adding two quality athletic programs, and this doesn't screw up geography. It would be nice, too, since the ACC would have to backfill, and I'd imagine we'd be their first choice right now.

Reaction Score
Connecticut with 3.6M residents has a really high percentage of residents that follow UConn. Nebraska likely leads this category, but data suggests that as many as 35%-40% of Connecticut residents follow UConn. That's 1.4M viewers. Rutgers comes from a state with nearly 9M residents, but I would be surprised if more than 5% of its residents follow them. That's 450K fans. Even at 10% it's 900K. Of course, NJ has a greater number B1G alumni; (although CT does OK here), recruiting, research and AAU, and that whole carriage thing (which is somewhat fan agnostic), so it's not a surprise that Rutgers got an invite. In the end, and without bringing up Boston/New England/New York, Connecticut adds value to a conference that has its own network.

My stats indicated that 80% of this post is made up of thin air.

We all know what Uconn brings to the table.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
The thing about travel isn't how far it is between schools it's about how far the schools, especially the entering schools, are from an accessible airport.

Which is why Uconn, Cincy, Louisville, UCF, USF are easy travel from anywhere and WVU and Cuse are terrible travel.

pj

Reaction Score
If the GoR is penetrable enough that the SEC could nab Oklahoma, then it likely could also try to poach an ACC team. I could see Oklahoma and NC State to the SEC, with Oklahoma in a geographically reasonable division with TAMU, LSU, and Arkansas. Mizzou goes in a division with Vandy, Kentucky, and Tennesee, the Alabama schools go with the Mississippi schools, and Florida goes in with Georgia, SC, and NC State. Expands the league's footprint into Big 12 and ACC territory while adding two quality athletic programs, and this doesn't screw up geography. It would be nice, too, since the ACC would have to backfill, and I'd imagine we'd be their first choice right now.

It's not that the GoR is penetrable, it's that they can be renegotiated if all parties are satisfied. So for imminent action, the TV networks have to broker a deal that pleases all parties.

In this case, ESPN could say to the ACC, let NC State go to the SEC and backfill with WVU and we'll raise payouts $1 mn per school; but if you don't waive the GoR, no raise in payout.

The harder nut to crack is the B12 because the rights are split with Fox and there would have to be multiple destinations (SEC, B1G, Pac, ACC). Kansas to B1G, OU to SEC, Texas to independent/ACC affiliate, and if you need 7 of 10 to dissolve the GoR and conference, then 4 more to major conferences with increased payouts, leaving 3 behind. It's far from clear that the Pac would facilitate this by taking four weaker teams (Iowa State/K State/OSU/Texas Tech?) and ACC probably wouldn't want to expand to 18 + Texas + ND - a bit unwieldy.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
ESPN going back to conferences with raises seems to fly in the face of everything we are hearing and seeing with them.

pj

Reaction Score
ESPN going back to conferences with raises seems to fly in the face of everything we are hearing and seeing with them.

If the B12 is dissolving, that frees up $110 mn a year for ESPN. It's the same logic that led them to break up the Big East.

Reaction Score
The thing about travel isn't how far it is between schools it's about how far the schools, especially the entering schools, are from an accessible airport.

Which is why Uconn, Cincy, Louisville, UCF, USF are easy travel from anywhere and WVU and Cuse are terrible travel.

No to defend Syracuse U; but, for a small city airport, Syracuse is not that bad with 17 direct flights, including connections to several major hubs (Atlanta, Charlotte, Chicago/O'Hare, NYC's Kennedy/LaGuardia/Newark, Philadelphia & Washington's Dulles). Bradley has 29 direct flights as a comparison. WV Has to hike 1 1/2 hours by bus to Pittsburgh for commercial flights as Mograntown only has 1 commercial flight to Dulles. Of course, there are chart flights, too. It gets bad in the Midwest when one hast to drive 2/3 hours just to get to a small, regional airport.

Reaction Score
It's not that the GoR is penetrable, it's that they can be renegotiated if all parties are satisfied. So for imminent action, the TV networks have to broker a deal that pleases all parties.

In this case, ESPN could say to the ACC, let NC State go to the SEC and backfill with WVU and we'll raise payouts $1 mn per school; but if you don't waive the GoR, no raise in payout.

The harder nut to crack is the B12 because the rights are split with Fox and there would have to be multiple destinations (SEC, B1G, Pac, ACC). Kansas to B1G, OU to SEC, Texas to independent/ACC affiliate, and if you need 7 of 10 to dissolve the GoR and conference, then 4 more to major conferences with increased payouts, leaving 3 behind. It's far from clear that the Pac would facilitate this by taking four weaker teams (Iowa State/K State/OSU/Texas Tech?) and ACC probably wouldn't want to expand to 18 + Texas + ND - a bit unwieldy.

Why would they need to raise the payout? Keeping it the same more or less nullifies the GoR, as it would demonstrate that there are no damages.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
If the B12 is dissolving, that frees up $110 mn a year for ESPN. It's the same logic that led them to break up the Big East.

Yeah they ended up paying more (a lot more). They don't seem too interested in paying more these days. They are chasing people off over what is rounding errors.

Reaction Score
My stats indicated that 80% of this post is made up of thin air.

We all know what Uconn brings to the table.

No, unfortunately there's quite a few people out there that don't. . .

Drew

Its a post, about nothing!
Reaction Score
from the OU board, view on UConn:

"UConn has been measured and weighed by conferences and TV partners.
Academics are what is likely going to prevent you from ever Joining the B1G. A great football program (OU/Nebraska) can overcome this. But a great BB/WBB can't.
Finances- You get nearly 1/3 of your AD budget as a subsidy becasue you lack things like ticket sales to help support the AD. Once Connecticut pisses off ESPN and others by cutting tax breaks they will be gone and at some point the state won't keep pumping 30 million a year to support the AD in the AAC.
The TV market argument is worthless as it pertains to football. The UConn/Memphis game last year had a 0.0 TV rating. UConn football does not bring any TV market. There are millions of people in and around Connecticut but unfortunately few are college football fans.
Fan base-Fans are the real reason UConn is where it is. Fans simply don't care about football. This is why you played FCS ball until the 90's. This is also why you currently play games in a half full stadium owned by the state an hour from campus. Even games in the teens and 20's regularly. That's not p-5 support.
Your past success in football consist of a 4 loss co-championship from the Big East where you are arguably the worst team to ever play in a BCS game. Hardly impressive."

Kind of sobering to be honest. Still think we're a good fit for B1G or ACC and while I'd rather be B1G I think our profile as a school is more ACC like

The Funster

What?
Reaction Score

Academics are what is likely going to prevent you from ever Joining the B1G. A great football program (OU/Nebraska) can overcome this. But a great BB/WBB can't.
Finances- You get nearly 1/3 of your AD budget as a subsidy becasue you lack things like ticket sales to help support the AD. Once Connecticut pisses off ESPN and others by cutting tax breaks they will be gone and at some point the state won't keep pumping 30 million a year to support the AD in the AAC.
The TV market argument is worthless as it pertains to football. The UConn/Memphis game last year had a 0.0 TV rating. UConn football does not bring any TV market. There are millions of people in and around Connecticut but unfortunately few are college football fans.
Fan base-Fans are the real reason UConn is where it is. Fans simply don't care about football. This is why you played FCS ball until the 90's. This is also why you currently play games in a half full stadium owned by the state an hour from campus. Even games in the teens and 20's regularly. That's not p-5 support.
Your past success in football consist of a 4 loss co-championship from the Big East where you are arguably the worst team to ever play in a BCS game. Hardly impressive."

Kind of sobering to be honest. Still think we're a good fit for B1G or ACC and while I'd rather be B1G I think our profile as a school is more ACC like

screw him, what does he know?

Reaction Score

I'm in a bad mood tonight and this post just really p!sses me off. That's about all I can say. Yeah, OK has rhea cred to diss us, but there are so many undeserving programs grandfathered in that I just can't take this $#!+@ much longer.

Yeah, I'm fowl tonight...

Reaction Score
Drew said:

Had to be our pal okie lite

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SeaDr