FYI - A bunch of smoke over at the Oklahoma CR Board | Page 7 | The Boneyard

FYI - A bunch of smoke over at the Oklahoma CR Board

Status
Not open for further replies.

pj

Reaction Score
But what share/total eyeballs watch Uconn versus OK? Both on a local and national basis? I think they get more total eyeballs than Uconn on a consistent basis. And that is what he probably means.

Yes, and for advertising based TV, eyeballs are what matter. But for cable networks, household subscribers matter, and a higher fraction of Connecticut households will pay for cable than Oklahoma households. Even including a national audience, it's possible UConn might bring more to a cable network than Oklahoma. (Not saying it's so, but it's possible.)

The trouble is the B12 is a long way from having a conference network.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
With the trend of ESPN (and by default, I'm sure others) wanting to spend less, there is zero reason for any conference to add anyone. The Big 12 may add some as a result of some infighting of rooster measuring proportions. They may be sending out the only life rafts going out for quite some time. If we don't get one, it may be game, set, and match for us. It has been almost three years since the last raft went out. I know we are a longshot, but so was Louisville to the ACC at one point. Whatever the negative narrative out there I hope to hell were trying to change it behind the scenes, not sitting back conceding that anyone else is a "better fit".

I have been fairly confident that in the end UConn would end up in the ACC after the Big Ten grabbed a couple of schools from them.

The ESPN cost cutting I think is the worst news we've gotten since Louisville left.

I hope that the Big Ten truthers are proven right. It may end up the only hope.

Reaction Score
I have been fairly confident that in the end UConn would end up in the ACC after the Big Ten grabbed a couple of schools from them.

The ESPN cost cutting I think is the worst news we've gotten since Louisville left.

Best fit yes, most likely to have invites going out, has been the Big 12, I've been saying for years that is our best bet. I hope your right and the Big Ten plucks a few ACC schools, but I'm not seeing it right now.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
I think ESPN cost cutting will hit the top talent and maybe a little bit of headcount a lot more than it will hit the rights fees. Arguing that rights fees will be reduced across the board solely because of ESPN is kind of like saying share prices will drop just because Fidelity wants them to. There are other buyers in the market besides ESPN, ao ESPN does not get to unilaterally decide what the price is.

Unless there is a backdoor in the GOR, I just don't see how either the Big 12 or ACC lose any teams for the duration of the agreements. A GOR is not something you just buy your way out of, and the case law on the sale of media rights is pretty solid. So unless there is some kind of out that we do not know about like the ACC GOR is invalid if there is no ACC Network, I don't see anyone going anywhere.

I do think this leaves the Big 12 with a mild reason to expand that should be enough to get them to add 2 teams. I am less clear on what would drive the ACC or Big 10 to do anything at this point.

Reaction Score
I think ESPN cost cutting will hit the top talent and maybe a little bit of headcount a lot more than it will hit the rights fees. Arguing that rights fees will be reduced across the board solely because of ESPN is kind of like saying share prices will drop just because Fidelity wants them to. There are other buyers in the market besides ESPN, ao ESPN does not get to unilaterally decide what the price is.

Unless there is a backdoor in the GOR, I just don't see how either the Big 12 or ACC lose any teams for the duration of the agreements. A GOR is not something you just buy your way out of, and the case law on the sale of media rights is pretty solid. So unless there is some kind of out that we do not know about like the ACC GOR is invalid if there is no ACC Network, I don't see anyone going anywhere.

I do think this leaves the Big 12 with a mild reason to expand that should be enough to get them to add 2 teams. I am less clear on what would drive the ACC or Big 10 to do anything at this point.
ESPN doesn't set the price, but they're cutting costs because because cable subscriber numbers are going down and affecting their bottom line. Common sense dictates it will affect the bottom line of the "other buyers" in the market as well. Fox may see this as an opportunity to really make a dent against ESPN in terms of content they own, but that may be a stretch. NBCSN, and CBSSN, were both cheapskates before and I doubt this ever changes.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
I'm not sure how Fox being in the market would help the ACC.

My point on ESPN's issues is that if they lost two teams they might not backfill if it means ESPN is paying two AAC teams 10x their current revenue.

I agree though that it looks like inertia if the Big 12 keeps their Jenga tower upright.

How would the bigger spender in the market being less aggressive not reduce rights fees? There are really only two players for the major college properties - if one of them isn't running the prices up in competition why would the other.

Drew

Its a post, about nothing!
Reaction Score

I'm really hoping Fox wins the B1G rights. I think this could wind up creating more expansion because of them wanting more games for all of their networks on Saturdays (Fox, FS1, FS2)

Reaction Score
If espn is losing subscribers everyone else is as well. Maybe, this gets the over the air networks back in the bidding game going forward, but for the foreseeable future, content rights appear to be locked up. The over the air networks all but conceded bidding for everything outside the super bowl and the world series to espn long ago.

Reaction Score
Why do some people view the nACC's GOR as relatively weak, or believe it may have some legal escape routes, some schools could potentially avoid severe penalties, etc.? These scenarios may not be accurate nor do I know the precise sources nor their validity, but somewhere such possibilities have been voiced. Legit perspectives, borderline BS, or absolute rubbish?

Reaction Score
Why do some people view the nACC's GOR as relatively weak, or believe it may have some legal escape routes, some schools could potentially avoid severe penalties, etc.? These scenarios may not be accurate nor do I know the precise sources nor their validity, but somewhere such possibilities have been voiced. Legit perspectives, borderline BS, or absolute rubbish?

Unsubstantiated...first brought up by the Dude. I don't think there is any "out" do to a lack of a network. If there is, the FSU BOT doesn't know it.

Same kind of gospel being sold as "FSU and Clemson would leave the ACC to join the Big 12". Not happening in the next ten years and probably never...only if the ACC folds.

Reaction Score
Because it provides hope. Hope for G5 schools looking to get in, hope for some B12 fans that their conference doesn't implode etc.

pj

Reaction Score
Unsubstantiated...first brought up by the Dude. I don't think there is any "out" do to a lack of a network. If there is, the FSU BOT doesn't know it.

Same kind of gospel being sold as "FSU and Clemson would leave the ACC to join the Big 12". Not happening in the next ten years and probably never...only if the ACC folds.

Seems unlikely ... the ACC got more money in exchange for the GoR ... seems unlikely ESPN would let the ACC have its money if the GoR was not real. If the GoR took effect with an ACCN, then ESPN's cash payments would have begun at that time too.

Reaction Score
It's still a contract, and contracts can be broken. Most likely, there would be some examination of damages, but unless someone reduced payouts to a league because a team left (and this hasn't happened yet), then those damages are unlikely to be significant.

Reaction Score

Well, the Dude contends that the ACC schools received no consideration for signing the GOR. Additional money was received when schools were added, but not for signing the GOR. If the consideration was not money, but the establishment of the ACCN, that hasn't happened.

In contrast, the Big12 schools all got additional money for signing the GOR.

Consideration is necessary to make a contract valid. See discussion of Consideration here:

http://www.nolo.com/legal-encyclopedia/consideration-every-contract-needs-33361.html

pj

Reaction Score
Well, the Dude contends that the ACC schools received no consideration for signing the GOR. Additional money was received when schools were added, but not for signing the GOR. If the consideration was not money, but the establishment of the ACCN, that hasn't happened.

Consideration is necessary to make a contract valid. See discussion of Consideration here:

http://www.nolo.com/legal-encyclopedia/consideration-every-contract-needs-3t3361.html

Yeah. The Dude expects us to believe that Louisville was worth not only the $17 mn it receives, but an extra $2-3 mn for the other 13 ACC schools, or $45 mn total? If Louisville is so valuable why didn't the B12 add them, or why wouldn't the ACC add more schools?

Billybud's ACC GoR document explicitly states that the GoR was agreed to in exchange for financial considerations from ESPN.

Reaction Score
And notice in the Whereas's...that the members acknowledge that they receive a benefit in the media agreement for the conference having a GOR.

Edit...already recognized above...as I was typing.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score

I agree. Instability/decline in the simple math of cable boxes maybe the worst news since Louisville. It severely hampers all expansion calculus.

But let's remember, in the long run, the B12 is not constructed for success. It needs more states/households. The chaos surrounding the inevitable shake out of the B12 will create new unpredictable opportunities. Short of that, we all have to pray to the alter of Jim Delaney and his better tv mouse trap.

Reaction Score
Yes, it looks like the consideration is whatever is in the second amendment to the ESPN contract (either money or the promise of an ACCN).

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score

http://www.nolo.com/legal-encyclopedia/consideration-every-contract-needs-33361.html
Consideration does not have to be in the form of hard currency. Just something of legal value to the receiving party. Can't expect The Dude to fully grasp the concept. West Virginia is routinely ranked in the high 40's or worse in education by state.

Reaction Score
It was okielite. I don't think anyone that has spent 5 minutes on a message board takes thay guy seriously. His comments are not the general consensus of other fanbases.

We need to start winning so the knuckleheads like him will have far less material to work with - and so I can enjoy actually going inside the Rent again.
You sure? I saw the comment on LT's and noticed okie lite was the only one who "liked" it. IH Orange like okie likes downgrading all NE FB but maybe redhawk was the OP of the negative view of UConn with little or no real knowledge outside plains states message board gossip. Those guys have an inflated sense of worth and by looking down on us maybe reinforces their ego's!?! Not all of them but enough to impact perception negatively of the value of our FB and following/potential.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
If espn is losing subscribers everyone else is as well. Maybe, this gets the over the air networks back in the bidding game going forward, but for the foreseeable future, content rights appear to be locked up. The over the air networks all but conceded bidding for everything outside the super bowl and the world series to espn long ago.

ESPN is a commodity service in a competitive market. Markets like that have shrinking revenue and rising costs because the competitors are losing market power and differentiation of their product. I other words, these markets suck.

I think ESPN knows it can not solve its revenue problem with more lumberjack competitions, so what are its choices for content?

More likely, ESPN has realized that with a couple of exceptions, the on air talent is a commodity that doesn't move the needle with viewership and therefore does not need to be paid, hence tossing Olbermann and Simmons overboard.

Reaction Score
The ACC GOR docs is a good get if it's the real deal. At first glance, it looks like the rights are specifically granted to fulfill the obligations of the ESPN Agreement. Of course, we don't have that agreement (similar to Big 12 GOR). It doesn't appear to grant the conference ownership of the schools rights, only as it relates to the ESPN agreement. This is pretty typical for media agreements. This is conjecture, but it's possible ESPN can waive provisions of its own agreement if a school moves to another ESPN rights-owned conference. This would enable ACC schools to move to the B1G or SEC without suffering any financial repercussions.

Reaction Score
I am calling BS on this. Are you telling me that the entire Grant of Rights Agreement for the conference was 4 pages long?

Providing it's real, the actual ESPN Agreement is likely much longer. This document could have been to get existing members, new members and accepted members all on the same page at a critical and sensitive time. But, I'm just guessing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom