FYI - A bunch of smoke over at the Oklahoma CR Board | Page 10 | The Boneyard

FYI - A bunch of smoke over at the Oklahoma CR Board

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I went over to Land Thieves to peruse the thread referenced by the OP. To my amazement there's Okie Lite continuing his crusade to run down UCONN at every opportunity. I scanned CSNBBS the other day and sure enough there's old Road Hunter crapping all over the Huskies in every thread. I simply can't fathom why a fan of a program that has zero interaction with Connecticut would have such a negative fixation with it. Then it came to me. Which one of you degenerates ?

Reaction Score
I went over to Land Thieves to peruse the thread referenced by the OP. To my amazement there's Okie Lite continuing his crusade to run down UCONN at every opportunity. I scanned CSNBBS the other day and sure enough there's old Road Hunter crapping all over the Huskies in every thread. I simply can't fathom why a fan of a program that has zero interaction with Connecticut would have such a negative fixation with it. Then it came to me. Which one of you degenerates banged his wife?

It's more commonly known as a tube sock.

Last edited:

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
I went over to Land Thieves to peruse the thread referenced by the OP. To my amazement there's Okie Lite continuing his crusade to run down UCONN at every opportunity. I scanned CSNBBS the other day and sure enough there's old Road Hunter crapping all over the Huskies in every thread. I simply can't fathom why a fan of a program that has zero interaction with Connecticut would have such a negative fixation with it. Then it came to me. Which one of you degenerates ?

Tough to figure. That dope proclaims that his hatred stems from his time he spent here. He'd raise a question to a group of diehard UConn fans and when his questions were answered in a pro-UConn manner (surprise surprise!), he didn't like it and would play martyr troll guy. He's really hung up on our football attendance being the biggest reason why UConn is not worthy of a power conference and per capita income in the northeast being greater than in Oklahoma/most parts of the U.S. When the household income point was made (I forgot who raised it but it's a fact), all of his honky tonk Yankee hatin' bones in his body cringed. It wasn't raised in a "I'm better than you" way, just listed as fact (I think it was a Top 10 household income listing that was posted). That's when he really flipped out and is now on his own personal anti-UConn crusade.

The irony is that by trolling UConn as hard as he does, he actually creates more discussion about UConn than if he just kept his opinion to himself. And if UConn was truly un-Power conference worthy, why bring it up every single day?? I always think of him as Forrest Gump when he says "at night, I still think of Jenn-ay"...but, for okie, replace "Jenn'ay" with "the Husk-ays".

Last, it would be rude of me not to take this time to say hello to our ol' buddy, because I know he lurks over here. Hey okie! How's your anti UConn army coming along?

Reaction Score
It makes sense that the total dismemberment of the B12 would be under discussion. One-off moves are disarranging the college map and are not creating the biggest dollar payout. Managing the disposition of 10 schools at once allows a more rational rearrangement, creating more dollars ... It would explain Boren's recent comments -- the natural impulse of a former politician to get out in front of a parade he sees developing, so that he can claim to be its leader.

I'm guessing:
Texas to the ACC with a ND type deal keeping LHN.
Kansas and UConn to B1G.
OU and one other to SEC
OSU and Baylor to ACC.
Two others to either ACC or Pac, so that there is a voting majority to dissolve B12.
The last two leftovers to either Pac or AAC.

In this scenario I think WVU as the eastern outlier gets into either SEC or ACC.
WVU to the AAC...

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
News Corp is still sitting on a mountain of cash. And certain conferences aren't beholden to ESPN to make their own networks be all that it can be.

I don't think it's that. Disney has cash. There is a sports market out there worth $XBillion. ESPN has a lot of it. Given its current channels it really has no room to grow market share. It's only going to lose market share from here on out. So ESPN is in a retrenched mode, fending off others, preserving what it has. Fox and to a lesser extent, CBS and NBC can grow a nice business by taking market share from ESPN. So they are more willing to invest and are more likely to bid aggressively for content.

I think this is why the ACCN keeps being talked about but not launched. ESPN doesn't want to spend to launch it, but it also doesn't want to lose the ACC. It has to string them along. ESPN and ESPN content/properties are the targets of the other newer 24/7 sports networks. This is not just related to college sports, but across the board.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
How could ESPN lose the ACC? They have them under contract until the end of time.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
How could ESPN lose the ACC? They have them under contract until the end of time.

Members leaving...it becomes worthless. That's why the GOR and increased payout etc. Keeping them happy enough.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Members leaving...it becomes worthless. That's why the GOR and increased payout etc. Keeping them happy enough.

I'll believe someone leaves a P5 for
another P5 when there is a GOR in place when I see it. No offense to our legal and self proclaimed legal experts...

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
I'll believe someone leaves a P5 for
another P5 when there is a GOR in place when I see it. No offense to our legal and self proclaimed legal experts...

Yeah, and I am one of our many lawyers, but this isn't about that. That's not my point. Look back at ESPN's actions and you see a network acting defensively, protecting what it has. Others are the aggressors here. Fox, CBS and NBC can only grow 24/7 networks by picking off content that ESPN already has. That includes the American (as well as non college stuff as I mentioned).

Reaction Score

No ACC Network is the make or break for ACC schools. And I am serious about that. The B1G is going to get paid a good $45 million to $50 million per school per year off of their new contract and their Tier1 rights, which is what is up for bid, could be shared among FOX and other networks unless FOX puts up a bid so large in dollars that they take the rights and leave ESPN behind.

FOX already owns their conference title game and that is up for bid. Therefore, FOX will bid heavily to retain the conference title game and get more B1G games. FOX also owns 49% of the B1G Network.

If FOX can pull away the B1G from ESPN, then FOX becomes the media company that owns the most CFB rights and not ESPN. ESPN doesn't own all of the SEC rights either. THey do own the rights to the ACC. So, to make the ACC Network, they will need to buy what they already own to broadcast what they already own.

The devil in the details is that the SEC Network is really just another ESPN channel. That is all it is.

So, when the B1G schools are clearing $50 million a year, which IS realistic since that is what Delany said the contract is likely to go for, the ACC schools will remain at their usual $22 millionish a year level. So the B1G schools end up double the revenue than the ACC schools.

No ACC Network means the ACC schools will run away fast to where they can get more money to fund their stadium upgrades for various sports, pay student athletes, etc, etc.

So it is up to ESPN to spend money on stuff they already own and broadcast to keep the rights they already own. Thus, they spend more on what they already own just to keep what they already own.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
No ACC Network is the make or break for ACC schools. And I am serious about that. The B1G is going to get paid a good $45 million to $50 million per school per year off of their new contract and their Tier1 rights, which is what is up for bid, could be shared among FOX and other networks unless FOX puts up a bid so large in dollars that they take the rights and leave ESPN behind.

FOX already owns their conference title game and that is up for bid. Therefore, FOX will bid heavily to retain the conference title game and get more B1G games. FOX also owns 49% of the B1G Network.

If FOX can pull away the B1G from ESPN, then FOX becomes the media company that owns the most CFB rights and not ESPN. ESPN doesn't own all of the SEC rights either. THey do own the rights to the ACC. So, to make the ACC Network, they will need to buy what they already own to broadcast what they already own.

The devil in the details is that the SEC Network is really just another ESPN channel. That is all it is.

So, when the B1G schools are clearing $50 million a year, which IS realistic since that is what Delany said the contract is likely to go for, the ACC schools will remain at their usual $22 millionish a year level. So the B1G schools end up double the revenue than the ACC schools.

No ACC Network means the ACC schools will run away fast to where they can get more money to fund their stadium upgrades for various sports, pay student athletes, etc, etc.

So it is up to ESPN to spend money on stuff they already own and broadcast to keep the rights they already own. Thus, they spend more on what they already own just to keep what they already own.

This is the sort of thing that people keep posting - but nobody has moved since the GORs have been signed.

So maybe it happens and maybe they don't stand up - but I'm not sure how people make such bold confident predictions when so much is unknown.

What are the chances the Big Ten walks away from ESPN? 5%? If that?

Reaction Score
This is the sort of thing that people keep posting - but nobody has moved since the GORs have been signed.

So maybe it happens and maybe they don't stand up - but I'm not sure how people make such bold confident predictions when so much is unknown.

What are the chances the Big Ten walks away from ESPN? 5%? If that?

I mean it's been what 15 months at most since GOR's were signed? Movement takes time.

Money talks. If the B1G is really staring down a deal that will net members $50 million you can bet that nobody in that conference will shed a tear about never visiting Bristol again.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
I mean it's been what 15 months at most since GOR's were signed? Movement takes time.

Money talks. If the B1G is really staring down a deal that will net members $50 million you can bet that nobody in that conference will shed a tear about never visiting Bristol again.

If you think the Big 10 coaches want to lose their ability to be on ABC and ESPN... I'm pretty sure they don't want a huge recruiting disadvantage like that.

Didn't the ACC sign their GOR around when Maryland left in 2012.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
The B1G will sign multiple content distribution agreements. The big change from there current arrangements, other than the size of the check, is that the BTN will get options for more and better games.

The Saturday noon slots will still be on ESPN, the 3:30 and night games will still be on ABC, but a few more will be on Fox and FS1. There will be fewer B1G games on ESPN2/U.

dayooper

It's what I do. I drink and I know things.
Reaction Score
If you think the Big 10 coaches want to lose their ability to be on ABC and ESPN... I'm pretty sure they don't want a huge recruiting disadvantage like that.

Didn't the ACC sign their GOR around when Maryland left in 2012.

The agreed to the GoR in spring 2013, about 6 months after UMD announced they were leaving.

Reaction Score

They reap what they have sown.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak