FYI - A bunch of smoke over at the Oklahoma CR Board | Page 8 | The Boneyard

FYI - A bunch of smoke over at the Oklahoma CR Board

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I think ESPN cost cutting will hit the top talent and maybe a little bit of headcount a lot more than it will hit the rights fees. Arguing that rights fees will be reduced across the board solely because of ESPN is kind of like saying share prices will drop just because Fidelity wants them to. There are other buyers in the market besides ESPN, ao ESPN does not get to unilaterally decide what the price is.

Unless there is a backdoor in the GOR, I just don't see how either the Big 12 or ACC lose any teams for the duration of the agreements. A GOR is not something you just buy your way out of, and the case law on the sale of media rights is pretty solid. So unless there is some kind of out that we do not know about like the ACC GOR is invalid if there is no ACC Network, I don't see anyone going anywhere.

I do think this leaves the Big 12 with a mild reason to expand that should be enough to get them to add 2 teams. I am less clear on what would drive the ACC or Big 10 to do anything at this point.

Agreed on rights fees. I think ESPN is cutting overhead strictly due to the increases in rights fees and knows that, in the future, they're going to have to pony up even more for rights fees and are stashing cash to do so.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Providing it's real, the actual ESPN Agreement is likely much longer. This document could have been to get existing members, new members and accepted members all on the same page at a critical and sensitive time. But, I'm just guessing.

I am skeptical that a lawyer or paralegal didn't just draft a fake GOR agreement and post it on a website somewhere. I do not know who the counter-parties for this agreement would be, but I suspect that at least one school has incorporated an athletic department that will own the school's rights fees. There is no reference to Exhibits other than the ESPN agreement, even though Notre Dame would have had to concurrently execute a sale of only its basketball rights. There is also no indemnification clause, or clause specifying the consequences for violation of the agreement.

This is a fake.

Reaction Score
ESPN is a commodity service in a competitive market. Markets like that have shrinking revenue and rising costs because the competitors are losing market power and differentiation of their product. I other words, these markets suck.

I think ESPN knows it can not solve its revenue problem with more lumberjack competitions, so what are its choices for content?

More likely, ESPN has realized that with a couple of exceptions, the on air talent is a commodity that doesn't move the needle with viewership and therefore does not need to be paid, hence tossing Olbermann and Simmons overboard.
I agree to an extent, but that is only the beginning. I know two people at work that have totally cut cable and have gone the over the air antenna, android TV, route. I have about 17 months on my contract with directTV before I myself probably go this route. I already have an android TV device and I can assure you if the quality of the streaming on the sports was better, I'd pay the early termination fee to get out of my contract with DTV. There is just no reason to pay for cable any longer. I can watch any show I want on that thing, bar none.

Cable and satellite companies are going to lose subscribers at an alarming rate I believe. Things like sling TV, and comcast's new streaming service reall are too late to the game in my opinion. People I know share passwords on things like netflix, hulu, amazon prime etc, and that is not counting the amount of free stuff on the net through things like Kodi, Navi X, etc.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
More likely, ESPN has realized that with a couple of exceptions, the on air talent is a commodity that doesn't move the needle with viewership and therefore does not need to be paid, hence tossing Olbermann and Simmons overboard.

The irony is that as recently as a few years ago, Olbermann and Simmons were that exception.

At the end of the day, Disney will not allow ESPN to be the tail that wags the Mouse. Simmons branched to projects other than what built his audience in the first place, while simultaneously reducing his focus on what his audience wanted. He was on TV, he became EiC of Grantland, EP of 30 for 30, he did his podcasts, and the occasional column. That's great for personal development, but I for one (a former Simmons disciple), pretty much only wanted a couple columns a week to pass the time in "my other office." Then, his focus pretty much devolved to NBA, NBA, and more NBA. Ultimately there are just so many times you can call out your bosses, be critical of media partner executives, alienate your audience and thereby the audience of your employer, while still collecting a $$multimillion annuity.

Olbermann is a nut bar. His aim is to be controversial, but in reality, his act has gotten stale. The remarriage to ESPN was doomed from the start.

Reaction Score
I am skeptical that a lawyer or paralegal didn't just draft a fake GOR agreement and post it on a website somewhere. I do not know who the counter-parties for this agreement would be, but I suspect that at least one school has incorporated an athletic department that will own the school's rights fees. There is no reference to Exhibits other than the ESPN agreement, even though Notre Dame would have had to concurrently execute a sale of only its basketball rights. There is also no indemnification clause, or clause specifying the consequences for violation of the agreement.

This is a fake.

Anything's possible, especially with the fixation on this specific document. I can't look at it right now, but I think the docs made mention of a joinder agreements and other agreements upon admission, which probably relates to Notre Dame.

Reaction Score
The irony is that as recently as a few years ago, Olbermann and Simmons were that exception.

At the end of the day, Disney will not allow ESPN to be the tail that wags the Mouse. Simmons branched to projects other than what built his audience in the first place, while simultaneously reducing his focus on what his audience wanted. He was on TV, he became EiC of Grantland, EP of 30 for 30, he did his podcasts, and the occasional column. That's great for personal development, but I for one (a former Simmons disciple), pretty much only wanted a couple columns a week to pass the time in "my other office." Then, his focus pretty much devolved to NBA, NBA, and more NBA. Ultimately there are just so many times you can call out your bosses, be critical of media partner executives, alienate your audience and thereby the audience of your employer, while still collecting a $$multimillion annuity.

Olbermann is a nut bar. His aim is to be controversial, but in reality, his act has gotten stale. The remarriage to ESPN was doomed from the start.

I found Olbermann absolutely unwatchable, despite generally agreeing with him. He's such a chode these days.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
The Big Ten Network is operated by Fox Sports. If FOX + Jim Delany/B1G want to continue their push east, thinking long-term growth, then UConn is still a valuable asset. All of this talk about attendance being a factor is pure poppycock. There isn't a program in the country that would sell its stadium out when 1) the team wins 2 games a year and 2) plays in a mid-major conference with weak home schedules. I'm not making excuses; the reality is what it is. You put a marketable team like Michigan on the Rent's turf, winning season or not, and look what you get: stadium record attendance and an atmosphere that almost propelled one of our worst teams, coached by our worst coach, to a win. Similar to what has happened at Rutgers and Maryland, if you put a B1G schedule on UConn's home slate, you will see a HUGE attendance spike even with losing seasons. But we're not going to have losing seasons every year. Ironically, we had our most football success while a member of a BCS conference. We can do it again as a P5 member.

It's B1G or bust. It has been B1G or bust the second after LCC was invited to the ACC over us. President Herbst has done everything in her power to accelerate the timetable and improve our B1G profile in such a short period of time. Unfortunately, UConn was put on auto-pilot for so long before Herbst got here that there is a lot of catch-up to do.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
With the trend of ESPN (and by default, I'm sure others) wanting to spend less, there is zero reason for any conference to add anyone.
This scares the crap out of me. The CR bubble may be about to burst.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
It's still a contract, and contracts can be broken. Most likely, there would be some examination of damages, but unless someone reduced payouts to a league because a team left (and this hasn't happened yet), then those damages are unlikely to be significant.
I can see a 'frustration of purpose' argument if the reason for the GOR was to lock in product for the ACCN. No ACCN then no reason for the GOR.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
I find it really odd (and incredibly ironic) that as soon as there is a whole bunch of chatter about one of the power conferences expanding, that Disney/ESPiN starts talking about downsizing and cutting costs. It's almost as if Disney is telling FOX "Whoa easy fellas, we are perfectly content with status quo. No need to expand." Could it be because Disney/ESPiN is nervous about losing potential marketshare?

At the end of the day, FOX is going to do what it feels necessary to make money regardless of what ESPiN is saying/doing.

Reaction Score
The Big Ten Network is operated by Fox Sports. If FOX + Jim Delany/B1G want to continue their push east, thinking long-term growth, then UConn is still a valuable asset. All of this talk about attendance being a factor is pure poppycock. There isn't a program in the country that would sell its stadium out when 1) the team wins 2 games a year and 2) plays in a mid-major conference with weak home schedules. I'm not making excuses; the reality is what it is. You put a marketable team like Michigan on the Rent's turf, winning season or not, and look what you get: stadium record attendance and an atmosphere that almost propelled one of our worst teams, coached by our worst coach, to a win. Similar to what has happened at Rutgers and Maryland, if you put a B1G schedule on UConn's home slate, you will see a HUGE attendance spike even with losing seasons. But we're not going to have losing seasons every year. Ironically, we had our most football success while a member of a BCS conference. We can do it again as a P5 member.

It's B1G or bust. It has been B1G or bust the second after LCC was invited to the ACC over us. President Herbst has done everything in her power to accelerate the timetable and improve our B1G profile in such a short period of time. Unfortunately, UConn was put on auto-pilot for so long before Herbst got here that there is a lot of catch-up to do.
Thats what the serious conferences NEED to hear....as that negative bs post from LT's okielite don't mention...academics a problem at UConn?noFB fan support/interest? As you said when UConn was BCS they were filling the seats and will again when the stakes get higher with peer programs of which the B1G is full of!! Like minded academic research oriented large flag bearing state U's from a wealthy large market that can seal off the NE forever.The fact no one seems to mention is how UConn all of a sudden seemed to fall behind smaller less respected and valuable schools brings to mind the fact in re to RU pre B1G was never being mentioned when the ACC was expanding...behind the scenes the powers that be knew RU had said to the ACC it was B1G or bust..at the time I heard rumors but didn't really know that someone in conversation to ACC representatives they only had interest in the B1G and would stay where they were otherwise.. in what is now the AAC before their was an American 6 or 7 yrs ago i think?? Maybe someone more knowledgeable than me can shed light on this? The point being the situations are very similar!! I think the admins here already know their goal and are awaiting a bigger name FB power or powers to partner with ala Md/RU behind a secrecy clause..What else makes sense? We all know deep down UConn will have their deserved seat with the B1G boys. I hope I'm right and certainly sense it.

Reaction Score
There's no way that Rutgers would have turned down an ACC invite to stay in the American.
I don't know anymore than i said...RU I do know never considered the ACC...maybe they were already given cliffnotes to get into the B1G? The B1G was where RU belonged..their Mountain so to speak. Like I said I'll leave that full story to the better informed. Heck the AAC wasn't even heard of when this story was going round at the Mulcahy/Pernetti social gatherings at least 6 to ten yrs ago??

Reaction Score

This is a fake.

Looks much like the Big 12 GOR that Kyles Lamb has posted about a year ago.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Looks much like the Big 12 GOR that Kyles Lamb has posted about a year ago.

I have seen a lot of contracts over the years, and would be shocked if something with so much money at stake was a 4 page document, of which about 90% is boilerplate.

Reaction Score
This scares the crap out of me. The CR bubble may be about to burst.

News Corp is still sitting on a mountain of cash. And certain conferences aren't beholden to ESPN to make their own networks be all that it can be.

Reaction Score
There's no way that Rutgers would have turned down an ACC invite to stay in the American.
And their never offered or accepted unless its already a done deal between parties.
I just said what i heard and why not? You have to think like a AD or University President and not a fan..When asked/gaged about their potential interest that's what they supposedly said and given the way the ACC hierarchy operates in the dark I'm glad they did. ...who knows the truth but judging by the vindictive animous towards RU by bstimp and other ACC types I believe it as how would the ACC NOT be interested in a huge chunk of the Atlantic Coast between Del/Philly/NYC demo? We've often said here if the ACC had offered UConn/RU they would be the dominant conference along the NE coast instead of the B1G. Instead they concentrated on small isolated privates and inland semi midwest Pitt probably due to old internal relationships to save their hides at our expense. That's why I believe it's 75 percent relationship's,15 percent location, nine percent timing with deserve the final 1 percent.Look at Chris DelConte at TCU ...one uninvited and unexpected visit to UT's Deloss Dodd and a night on the town and bingo....their in a P5 conference not the OBE waiting list!!

Reaction Score
I just took a look on the Okie board LT's and okielites at it again poking fun at this board and telling others that WERE delusional and comparing UConn to Oklahoma? lol..Talk about inflated ego's! They think their ND with more than a plains following!! This ain't the seventies anymore. Whens the last time we saw or cared about the Sooner Schooner in NYC metro? They better wake up quick or get lost in the dust bowl of a conference!!

Reaction Score
As long as we're cherry picking, here's how a 2-win UConn team stacked up against "big time" Okie State last year.

.7 Rating 1.08M UConn/BYU Friday
1.9 Rating 2.96M UConn/Boise State Saturday
1.0 Rating 1.36M UConn/USF Friday

.3 Rating 511K Iowa ST/OKST Saturday
.2 Rating 296K OKST/Kansas Saturday
.7 Rating 1.15M OK/OKST Saturday

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
I just took a look on the Okie board LT's and okielites at it again poking fun at this board and telling others that WERE delusional and comparing UConn to Oklahoma? lol..Talk about inflated ego's! They think their ND with more than a plains following!! This ain't the seventies anymore. Whens the last time we saw or cared about the Sooner Schooner in NYC metro? They better wake up quick or get lost in the dust bowl of a conference!!

1. First off again with the we. Struggle with the pronouns.

2. OMG message board posters are crazy. Film at 11.

Reaction Score
OT but anyone else hear the rumor the Rent was going to be renamed Pratt-Whitney field? I seen a Scarlet Jerry thread on RU's board saying more soon?

Reaction Score
I have seen a lot of contracts over the years, and would be shocked if something with so much money at stake was a 4 page document, of which about 90% is boilerplate.

League Bylaws look much the same.....

I mean, if you want complicated, look at your cell phone contract.

31GuardTrap

Bringing back the basics
Reaction Score
I feel like this is just one big M Night Shyamalan movie and UConn is really dead and we are just floating around.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom