FYI - A bunch of smoke over at the Oklahoma CR Board | Page 2 | The Boneyard

FYI - A bunch of smoke over at the Oklahoma CR Board

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
The ACC can't give Texas a ND deal. Why? The football schedules of the top ACC football schools couldn't handle it. In some years, GT, FSU, Clemson, and Louisville would have 8 conference games, ND, and their SEC rival. They don't have room for games with Texas as these teams require at least 7 home games per season from an economic and competitive situation.

Now, Texas could join the ACC, but I don't think Texas would find it a good fit.

End of the day, the PAC could take 4 teams, Texas, Texas Tech, Oklahoma, and OSU and form an Eastern division with those 4 teams plus Arizona, ASU, Colorado, and Utah.

pj

Reaction Score
The ACC can't give Texas a ND deal. Why? The football schedules of the top ACC football schools couldn't handle it. In some years, GT, FSU, Clemson, and Louisville would have 8 conference games, ND, and their SEC rival. They don't have room for games with Texas as these teams require at least 7 home games per season from an economic and competitive situation.

Now, Texas could join the ACC, but I don't think Texas would find it a good fit.

End of the day, the PAC could take 4 teams, Texas, Texas Tech, Oklahoma, and OSU and form an Eastern division with those 4 teams plus Arizona, ASU, Colorado, and Utah.

This is moving toward a P5 breakaway and 9-10 conference games will be the norm. The ACC can fit an indy Texas in.

Pac tried to get Texas/TT/OU/OSU and failed. Texas thought the LHN + B12 was a better option and they'll still feel that way about LHN+ACC. Meanwhile OU will also feel SEC or B1G are better options than Pac. So this is not a possibility.

IMind

Wildly Inaccurate
Reaction Score
This is moving toward a P5 breakaway and 9-10 conference games will be the norm. The ACC can fit an indy Texas in.

Pac tried to get Texas/TT/OU/OSU and failed. Texas thought the LHN + B12 was a better option and they'll still feel that way about LHN+ACC. Meanwhile OU will also feel SEC or B1G are better options than Pac. So this is not a possibility.

No PAC HAD Texas, TT, OU, and OSU and the PAC-12 membership voted it down. They didn't want TT and OSU.

Reaction Score
They would add Cincy, Memphis, SMU & UCF, get their CCG and tell UConn to go pound sand

With Texas and OU out of the equation, there could be an opening for UConn. WVU might want Cincy and UConn to give them some local/traditional opponents. I would say that UConn, UCF, Cincy and a Texas school would do the trick.

31GuardTrap

Bringing back the basics
Reaction Score
With Texas and OU out of the equation, there could be an opening for UConn. WVU might want Cincy and UConn to give them some local/traditional opponents. I would say that UConn, UCF, Cincy and a Texas school would do the trick.
Doubtful....WVU might opt for Old Dominion or App State over UConn.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
I agree with most of this. Texas clearly wants to keep the LHN and I can't see any conference, other than the ACC, allowing a member to get a sweetheart deal like the one they are giving ND. Texas can keep its LHN, be a full time member in all sports but football, and move towards an ACC/Independent football scheduling arrangement (6 games vs ACC opponents + 6 Indy games) similar to one ND was given.

The PAC 12 has their own network. The SEC has their own Network. The Big Ten has their own Network. The ACC and Big XII want their own network. The Big XII won't get one as long as LHN exists in its current state. The ACC won't allow Texas to keep the LHN at the further detriment of the conference. ND is already killing them. The BiG Ten, SEC, nor PAC have any reason to kiss the UT-A ring, given the success of their networks. If Texas really cares about where they end up, LHN will cease to exist as they know it. It will end up airing Shaka Smart and Charlie Strong coaches shows on a 24 hour loop interrupted only by the random half hour of tournament cheerleading.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
The PAC 12 has their own network. The SEC has their own Network. The Big Ten has their own Network. The ACC and Big XII want their own network. The Big XII won't get one as long as LHN exists in its current state. The ACC won't allow Texas to keep the LHN at the further detriment of the conference. ND is already killing them. The BiG Ten, SEC, nor PAC have any reason to kiss the UT-A ring, given the success of their networks. If Texas really cares about where they end up, LHN will cease to exist as they know it. It will end up airing Shaka Smart and Charlie Strong coaches shows on a 24 hour loop interrupted only by the random half hour of tournament cheerleading.

Oh, I understand the point that Texas should ax the LHN and seek a stable, long-term home. But for whatever reason, they are not. That could change in the coming years when they look to the right and left and no longer see OU, KU, and others standing beside them. As of today, they think of themselves as worthy of having preferential treatment and, to date, only one conference has shown the willingness to treat certain members above others. The ACC.

dayooper

It's what I do. I drink and I know things.
Reaction Score

I could stand a few episodes of a cheerleading tourney.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
I could stand a few episodes of a cheerleading tourney.

Agree. There are much worse things to watch than a bunch of fit college girls jumping around in skimpy uniforms.

Reaction Score
I respectfully disagree. If you disband the B12 then, yes, the heavyweights (OU, UT, KU) will quickly find P4 homes. The rest of the conference would be left to fighting for a spot along with the rest of us. In the meantime, you can put together a pretty nice conference of B12 rejects and old Big East rejects while we all sit and wait for the promotion. A conference with UConn, Cinci, UCF, USF, OSU, ISU, KSU, Baylor, TT, WVU and maybe BYU (if they'd join...and if they do, maybe that lures Boise St and others??) is a helluva lot more fun and exciting than the conference that we currently play in. Would be good for both revenue sports, even if it's a clusterfahq of schools scattered all over the country (which is what we currently play in anyway).

Totally agree that it opens up the possibility of the AAC becoming a better football conference. But the Mountain West could also stand to gain a lot, as well. The football playoff will be based on the P4 model until the contract expires and you can start talking about an 8 team playoff and hope that it might include more bids being handed out to MW/AAC.

So, Big 12 breaks up. UT, OU, OSU, Kansas all find a home pretty quickly (Texas becomes sticky with LHN but anything can get resolved if there is enough money to spread around). TT, Baylor, WVU, K State, etc. all need dancing partners. Could it be a good thing for UConn? I guess anything is possible.

Husky25

Reaction Score
Oh, I understand the point that Texas should ax the LHN and seek a stable, long-term home. But for whatever reason, they are not. That could change in the coming years when they look to the right and left and no longer see OU, KU, and others standing beside them. As of today, they think of themselves as worthy of having preferential treatment and, to date, only one conference has shown the willingness to treat certain members above others. The ACC.
Certain member...lose the "s."

ND's defacto Network (NBC) and football Independence does nothing really to help the ACC. Yes, ND plays 6 ACC teams but what do they get out of it? Exposure? Marginally. The fans tuning into NBC on Saturday afternoons already have their allegiances. If they are Irish fans, they are not going to all of a sudden start following Clemson or Wake Forest in the weeks following their game. While the ACC does not have a network in their own name, ESPN is a national network and the ACC would have similar exposure without Notre Dame.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
Totally agree that it opens up the possibility of the AAC becoming a better football conference. But the Mountain West could also stand to gain a lot, as well. The football playoff will be based on the P4 model until the contract expires and you can start talking about an 8 team playoff and hope that it might include more bids being handed out to MW/AAC.

So, Big 12 breaks up. UT, OU, OSU, Kansas all find a home pretty quickly (Texas becomes sticky with LHN but anything can get resolved if there is enough money to spread around). TT, Baylor, WVU, K State, etc. all need dancing partners. Could it be a good thing for UConn? I guess anything is possible.

I like the idea of P4 as I think it would cause the public and politicians clamor for changes as too many schools and regions would be locked out.

Reaction Score
Certain member...lose the "s."

ND's defacto Network (NBC) and football Independence does nothing really to help the ACC. Yes, ND plays 6 ACC teams but what do they get out of it? Exposure? Marginally. The fans tuning into NBC on Saturday afternoons already have their allegiances. If they are Irish fans, they are not going to all of a sudden start following Clemson or Wake Forest in the weeks following their game. While the ACC does not have a network in their own name, ESPN is a national network and the ACC would have similar exposure without Notre Dame.

sort of right....the ACC, with Notre Dame, has a captive marquis OOC partner that brings in exposure and viewing. No different than playing Auburn or Michigan a bunch of times.

Brings in excitement for ACC fans, increased exposure to recruits (who watch these games).....it's just a good OOC game for the ACC programs that is solidified contractually.

Nothing magic....but pretty nice when it is your team's turn to meet them.

Reaction Score
I would pay to watch FSU athletes and Notre Dame student athletes meet up in a night club.

Reaction Score
You mean to tell me that FSU won't try to leave the ACC if the ACCN doesn't get off the ground? GOR's are going to be challenged it's just a matter of if it happens in the ACC or B-12 first!

Don't hold your breath, Houdini.

Reaction Score
I would pay to watch FSU athletes and Notre Dame student athletes meet up in a night club.

Welterweights....

I was on Bourbon Street when Alabama played Arkansas in the Sugar in 1980....Both teams and their fans wandering through wearing red...heavy weight matches that night. Mostly kept out of news in the dark days before ESPN was the mothership and the internet could spread the news like Paul Revere on a rocket.

Reaction Score
Don't hold your breath, Houdini.
Don't worry I won't.....I definitely understand what reality is! Just 1 question...when you were in New Orleans at the Sugar bowl in 1980 which school did you cover up your FSU gear with...Bama or Arkansas?

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Don't worry I won't.....I definitely understand what reality is! Just 1 question...when you were in New Orleans at the Sugar bowl in 1980 which school did you cover up your FSU gear with...Bama or Arkansas?

I am a Alabama native (although raised in Pensacola)....my mom's family is from Wilcox county, Alabama. While I did become a black sheep and attend FSU...my birth certificate was stamped "Roll Tide". I loved the Bear, Leroy Jordan, Namath as a young man....

And, as families will have it, my uncle, my cousins, my brother, my sister's boy...all went to Auburn....

And my brother unfriended me after the FSU-Auburn game and we have not yet talked...yes, sad, I know. But such is the south and football.

Husky25

Reaction Score
sort of right....the ACC, with Notre Dame, has a captive marquis OOC partner that brings in exposure and viewing. No different than playing Auburn or Michigan a bunch of times.

Brings in excitement for ACC fans, increased exposure to recruits (who watch these games).....it's just a good OOC game for the ACC programs that is solidified contractually.

I said exposure, but I also said it is a marginal benefit. Whatever game is not on broadcast ESPN in a recruit's local market (I.e. the Mothership, 2, U, or NEWS), is on the Internet. Recruits coming out of high school don't watch TV anymore, they have the WatchESPN app on their phones and tablets. They have CBSsports dot com. They have FS1-online (or whatever it is called). TV is for the >30 year old alumni.

And which way does the money flow for that "good OOC game (That's if ND is good)?" If you answer with anywhere other than South Bend, Indiana, you are kidding yourself.

Reaction Score
I am a Alabama native (although raised in Pensacola)....my mom's family is from Wilcox county, Alabama. While I did become a black sheep and attend FSU...my birth certificate was stamped "Roll Tide". I loved the Bear, Leroy Jordan, Namath as a young man....

And, as families will have it, my uncle, my cousins, my brother, my sister's boy...all went to Auburn....

And my brother unfriended me after the FSU-Auburn game and we have not yet talked...yes, sad, I know. But such is the south and football.
As a someone who grew up in the north and became fascinated by college football as a young boy...I totally understand your post.

Reaction Score

I want to see how long FSU and Clemson put up with ND's bs one way deal with the ACC. Those are the 2 teams in that conference that stand to have the most to lose.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom