Conversation with Benedict | Page 7 | The Boneyard

Conversation with Benedict

Status
Not open for further replies.

Redding Husky

UConn & SMU alum
Reaction Score
Therefore ... the BEST thing for our University of Connecticut is that B12 does nothing. No expansion. Lots of recrimination. Oklahoma & Texas against each other. That leaves the American (as we see developing) a really good conference & getting better. Maybe we see this as a National Alliance with Boise, Colorado State, BYU and SD State. And the puny revenue coming from TV gets into the Teens.

We started - really - in 2003. That actually is our biggest problem. Need proof? Watch Charlotte yesterday against Temple. Our football program (with Diaco or not) needs seasoning. In time, our excellence and our fanbase would far overwhelm Syracuse, BC and Rutgers. We need some breaks here.

If the Big 12 doesn't expand, and the AAC keeps nipping at the heels of the P5, we may be strong enough to eventually peel away BYU, Boise, CSU, SDSU, etc. from their current situations.

That wouldn't suck.

Reaction Score
If the Big 12 doesn't expand, and the AAC keeps nipping at the heels of the P5, we may be strong enough to eventually peel away BYU, Boise, CSU, SDSU, etc. from their current situations.

That wouldn't suck.

If B12 does not expand or expand without UCONN, we need to take the lead and form a new conference that's FB only. Here are the goals we should aim for:

• Form a nationwide FB only conference consists of large media markets and football teams.
  • FB only conference should be designed to maximize the new media deal. The current deal we have with AAC is a joke in payment per team.
  • Keep our tier-3 rights somehow. If it means basketball only with the BE, so be it. Ideally, they let us keep our T3 rights. If not, we can look at other conferences like A-10.
  • Continue to invest in the FB program. Hire a new coach.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
If B12 does not expand or expand without UCONN, we need to take the lead and form a new conference that's FB only. Here are the goals we should aim for:

• Form a nationwide FB only conference consists of large media markets and football teams.
  • FB only conference should be designed to maximize the new media deal. The current deal we have with AAC is a joke in payment per team.
  • Keep our tier-3 rights somehow. If it means basketball only with the BE, so be it. Ideally, they let us keep our T3 rights. If not, we can look at other conferences like A-10.
  • Continue to invest in the FB program. Hire a new coach.

They tried that conference... the teams left because there was no money. Where would anyone else put their non-FB programs? The WAC? The Big Sky?

You want to play basketball in the Atlantic 10? If you sprain your ankle do you cut your legs off?

The T3 rights aren't worth a damn thing in the A-10. So having them would be pretty useless.

What high school player would ever sign with UConn in the A-10?

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
They tried that conference... the teams left because there was no money. Where would anyone else put their non-FB programs? The WAC? The Big Sky?

You want to play basketball in the Atlantic 10? If you sprain your ankle do you cut your legs off?

The T3 rights aren't worth a damn thing in the A-10. So having them would be pretty useless.

What high school player would ever sign with UConn in the A-10?

Essentially this ^^^

I love the enthusiasm, everyone. But we've already tried the "All American" best teams conference and it fell apart. San Diego State was having a hard time stomaching the fact that their basketball team would be placed in the Big West, where it had to play against Cal Poly, Cal Davis, etc. As for Boise, they couldn't even get that! San Diego State was wildly lobbying for Boise to the Big West to even consider them. Similar issues existed for Air Force.

Ultimately, Boise got the "sweetheart deal" from the MW contract, and the others followed suit in order not to be forced to play every other sport against UC Riverside...

SonsOfNutmeg

#TheCut #HuskyRevolution
Reaction Score
If we had a top ten team, the place would be sold out at tickets selling for double face value.

We don't even need a top ten team. UH has a clear support problem. They are 50/50 to go to the playoff and they can't generate a walk up?
Exactly... I've siad this for years. If we had success UConn Football could be the biggest thing our state has seen since the men's hoops program. There are no pro sports teams here, unlike a place like Houston where there's NFL and other pro sports, plus other big boy football schools in the area (or in Rice's case the same city!)

Reaction Score
I never understood people who do this. If I'm going to have a BBQ and not watch the game, I'm staying home where my set up is better, I don't have to lug all my food across the state and have much more comfortable chairs.

I'm pretty sure you don't have an ice luge at your house.

Reaction Score
I chatted up Benedict last night at the basketball game. He made it clear that Diaco is going to be coming back. And in plain talk he made it clear that the reason he was coming back was that you cannot fire a coach after 2.5 years and the next one after three years and expect to have anyone worthwhile come coach your program. He very freely talked about Diaco's game management issues. I asked him if he was aware of the recruits father who had posted to the boneyard. He stopped me dead in my tracks and said that remember that the things you read on the internet aren't necessarily true and that there are two sides to every story. He was emphatic that Diaco cares for each and everyone of those kids like he was their own. If you guys see him at games chat him up yourselves. When he left it was because I let him out of the conversation. He was clearly willing to talk and answer questions as long as I had them. I don't have any kind of insider access to him I'm just a random guy in the stands asking him tough questions. I made it clear I was skeptical about the situation. He was gracious and easy to talk to.

Reaction Score
I chatted up Benedict last night at the basketball game. He made it clear that Diaco is going to be coming back. And in plain talk he made it clear that the reason he was coming back was that you cannot fire a coach after 2.5 years and the next one after three years and expect to have anyone worthwhile come coach your program. He very freely talked about Diaco's game management issues. I asked him if he was aware of the recruits father who had posted to the boneyard. He stopped me dead in my tracks and said that remember that the things you read on the internet aren't necessarily true and that there are two sides to every story. He was emphatic that Diaco cares for each and everyone of those kids like he was their own. If you guys see him at games chat him up yourselves. When he left it was because I let him out of the conversation. He was clearly willing to talk and answer questions as long as I had them. I don't have any kind of insider access to him I'm just a random guy in the stands asking him tough questions. I made it clear I was skeptical about the situation. He was gracious and easy to talk to.
I hate that Diaco is coming back, but I sorta agree with Benedict. it gets harder to attract coaches if you show no patience.

Now do I think he deserves year 4? No, but I also don't have to hire the next guy either.

Reaction Score
Wouldn't any logical coach look at PP and BD regimes and be like "Okay, I get why they fired them" I mean it's not a complex brain teaser to understand we have had the 2 worst coaches back to back and are not insanely firing guys early?

We aren't exactly firing Les Miles or Strong that had all phases but wins... We have coaches that have ZERO phases under control

Reaction Score
Wouldn't any logical coach look at PP and BD regimes and be like "Okay, I get why they fired them" I mean it's not a complex brain teaser to understand we have had the 2 worst coaches back to back and are not insanely firing guys early?

We aren't exactly firing Les Miles or Strong that had all phases but wins... We have coaches that have ZERO phases under control
You clearly have no idea about how vitamin D works, or how foundations are laid, or how you identify non key starters and key non starters do you?

We have mastered those areas.

Reaction Score
Prospective coaches? Likely, in most cases. Respective wives, and the mothers of their possible school age children? In many cases, different perspectives. Guess you could focus on single, divorced, and older guys to limit some spousal/partner considerations. Could be wrong, but certainly not for all coaches. Given Benedict's apparently confirmed Diaco's back, it's not even a relevant consideration now.

Alum86

Did they burn down the ROTC Hangar?
Reaction Score
Jarhead: He knows we are a laughingstock, right?
AD has to be a politician I guess.

Reaction Score

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score

I find it interesting that he apparently never mentioned the buyout money as a factor. If that means they could afford to do it but simply won't for PR reasons, then our entire administration is even dumber than I already thought they were.

How attractive do any of them think this job is going to look to prospective head coach candidates after another 2+ years of the kind of on field performance we've all witnessed this season? SMH

Reaction Score
I find it interesting that he apparently never mentioned the buyout money as a factor. If that means they could afford to do it but simply won't for PR reasons, then our entire administration is even dumber than I already thought they were.

How attractive do any of them think this job is going to look to prospective head coach candidates after another 2+ years of the kind of on field performance we've all witnessed this season? SMH
Coaches need safe spaces, too.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score

Do you really believe that if the truth was "he would have been fired on Halloween if the board approved my incurring the $5 million cost" he would have said that instead of some boiler plate answer for this situation?

Reaction Score
I'll say this... It's always refreshing when Jarhead posts on this board (avatar is the best by far)...

But I think the toughest part about all of this as fans is being THE WORST out of all FBS schools at something. THE WORST... when 5/6 years ago we were in a bowl game vs. OU in the Fiesta Bowl... How could this happen? We were bowling pretty much every year and, although our passing game wasn't too good, we were aggressive, physical on both sides of the ball and we produced... This year, once the UCF game happened, it seemed all the momentum to succeed died on the field of play. We're 3 years in with recruits under him too. Tough tough pill to swallow being a laughing stock... Right now guys like funny looking Paul Finebaum, used to be chubby man Mark May, bad knees Robert Smith are tickled to death that we suck because that's what they thought all along... That I hate....

Fact: Diaco is here for another season at least. Hopefully, some soul searching will allow him to not let his ego get in the way of putting this team back on the winning track... The stuff he's doing doesn't work, at all. Not on the field of play at least....

Reaction Score

I just threw up a little in my mouth. Thanks for that

Reaction Score
Yeah I'm full of good news. I pointed out that we are spoiled as UConn fans. We went to the fiesta bowl for cripes sake! He threw the usual wet blanket on us about backing our way in. That was annoying. My initial reaction was like screw you! You're supposed to give me the party line and tell me we will get back there! Alas, he's right. No any time soon. I suppose even though I didn't like it that at least he didn't give me rah rah baloney like someone else we know.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom