Conversation with Benedict | Page 5 | The Boneyard

Conversation with Benedict

Status
Not open for further replies.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Let's remember your point - you stated that Susan Herbst was out of her element as a negotiator.

You stated that you had met - don't remember the number - X executives far more capable.

That's ignorant.

Whatever you think you were stating, it wasn't directly relevant to the position of a College President. As some on this board & in that stadium know, Susan Herbst has done a exemplary job as UConn President. And, she is supported in full by some of the finest minds, attorneys & leaders in the State. The specific topic of realignment, sports revenue & negotiations thereupon ... is solidly handled by our University.

Your statement about Herbst was out of your personal set of experience.

I know beyond any doubt that I worked with and against people who are better negotiators than Susan Herbst. I'm sorry that you don't understand what other people do and have done - but this isn't even a question. Here is a secret - the lawyers and leaders in the private sector can run laps around government employees.

Realignment is handled solidly by the University? Yeah the school that has done the worst in realignment is UConn. If you can literally have the worst results possible and have your efforts deemed solid - there aren't even words to describe how silly that is. Bring that mentality to the private sector (lol).

Call whoever you like ignorant. Your posts are incoherent. Your position on how UConn handles CR is ridiculous. You have absolutely no idea what personal experiences I have or who I have been around.

Maybe she has done a good job on non-sports related issues. 1. That has nothing to do with what we are talking about. 2. She gave Diaco year 4 and 5 for no reason and he has a 5 million dollar buyout. So the actual argument that she can negotiate kind of goes out the window with that now doesn't it.

Reaction Score
From my reading of his contract the buyout drops from something like 5.5 million down to 3.4 million after Jan 1, 2017. The trigger should be pulled right after the recruiting period ends in early Feb. If he's got recruits who want to follow him into oblivion, so be it. Pull the plug on this clown before the whole ship goes down with no life rafts.

We should have learned from PP. No school waits until a buyout number drops and no decent recruit signs with a coach who the world knows is going to get -canned. Just ask LSU

Reaction Score
UConn will be ranked in the 100's in total offense for the 2nd straight year and we will get off to about a 2-5 start for the second year in a row. It would be nice if UConn showed as much urgency demanding better from the product instead of calling out fans. It would be nice if the expectations for the product came close to the unrealistic expectations placed on the fan base to support it. 32k is appropriate for what we are seeing. Everyone knew how crucial the Navy and Syracuse games would be to this season and it was a big fat fail from this program in both. Now we have 3 potential slaughters staring at us which will wipe out interest until the annual can we get that 6th win in December moment. The attendance will likely not see over 30k again this year because of these 2 losses. And UConn had no one to blame but Diaco and his staff for it. No one is falling for the scare tactics anymore. Don't blow winnable games and that's how the attendance rises.

Uconnalliance

Please cancel the program all hope is lost
Reaction Score
I hope your wrong on hitting bottom because that is unacceptable if UConn hasn't hit it yet. My guess is you are not a fan of this coaching staff in saying that. Not that I am all that thrilled with how they are playing
Gotta go UP at some point and I don't feel that yet, mistake #1 might of been hiring a green head coach, we needed somebody with experience to get through he transition

Redding Husky

UConn & SMU alum
Reaction Score
Wait...Maryland is relevant???

They're relevant just by being in a P5 conference with a small degree of football history/credibility.

If we get into a P5, our FB would be better than theirs.

HuskiesFan1014

Mora excited than before.
Reaction Score
I have been a fan of David Benedict since his arrival. I find it hard to believe that he would make such statements at a tailgate, unless he was drunk himself. Really sad news, but not unexpected. If it is true, it seems like he has already given up.
First, he was there.
Second, he was sober.
Third, it's not so much what he said...it's what he didn't say and the way he said what he said.
My take on it: Either he was simply holding his cards carefully or he was implying that he wants Big 12 inclusion as much as we do, but the optimism just wasn't there and it seemed to show. It's all about football, and he made it clear that he knows that, and that he understands the state of our football program. He mentioned attendance. I gave him kudos on what he's been trying to do to increase student support, and his answer was "now we have to get the rest of the seats full." He never said we are out, but he was clear that our football program needs to improve to better our chances. I only wish this conversation happened after the game and not before. I think we would have asked some hard questions about staff instead of exchanging pleasantries.

Alum86

Did they burn down the ROTC Hangar?
Reaction Score
The idiot should have just said "Great flag, love your commitment, and UConn is doing everything it can to get into the Big 12. Can I get a dog with mustard?"
The convo you guys had with him and this thread makes me sick to my stomach.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Also: said he believes we would be in a VERY different situation if Edsall had stayed. End quote.

I wonder if he really meant, "If we didn't hire a complete schmuck and his lackey after Edsall left"?

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
fwiw, yesterday was my first time at the Rent. Outside of the game, it was a great time. I was impressed at the number and quality of tailgate parties (and thanks again to Cap and Waquoit for letting us crash one). Based on that alone I was thinking it would be a near sellout (it wasn't).

The stadium itself... I don't get what RGIII was looking at when he mentioned "fans are right on top of you." Didn't get that sense at all. With a 3rd deck it could get more claustrophobic though. Prices are fair for the most part, no long lines to speak of either entering the stadium or at concessions (by comparison, it was 45-60 minutes to enter Heinz for PSU-Pitt and that was only 60K).

Also, we're not that loud. The decible level from moans on the umpteenth inside handoff are almost as loud as the cheers for a TD.

OTOH, Cuse failed to show for one of the few road games fans can drive to, so what does that say about them? Was expecting to see a lot more orange.

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
Gotta go UP at some point and I don't feel that yet, mistake #1 might of been hiring a green head coach, we needed somebody with experience to get through he transition

The problem is UConn had an experience coach and we know what happened with him at the helm.
I like his energy and pep but I want to see more from him on defensive side maybe him in control and to get someone who has run an offense before. I think he knows that there is pressure from Alumni and others to do better. I just hope he can change on the fly.

Reaction Score
[QUOTE="storrsroars, post: 1820018, member: 2500]

OTOH, Cuse failed to show for one of the few road games fans can drive to, so what does that say about them? Was expecting to see a lot more orange.[/QUOTE]

This year Syracuse fans have lots of local options as they play 6 home games and 4 drive able games. This Saturday, they play Notre Dame at Met Life and they also play at BC and at Pitt. I think many Cuse fans skipped the UConn game for the ND game.

Reaction Score
fwiw, yesterday was my first time at the Rent. Outside of the game, it was a great time. I was impressed at the number and quality of tailgate parties (and thanks again to Cap and Waquoit for letting us crash one). Based on that alone I was thinking it would be a near sellout (it wasn't).

The stadium itself... I don't get what RGIII was looking at when he mentioned "fans are right on top of you." Didn't get that sense at all. With a 3rd deck it could get more claustrophobic though. Prices are fair for the most part, no long lines to speak of either entering the stadium or at concessions (by comparison, it was 45-60 minutes to enter Heinz for PSU-Pitt and that was only 60K).

Also, we're not that loud. The decible level from moans on the umpteenth inside handoff are almost as loud as the cheers for a TD.

OTOH, Cuse failed to show for one of the few road games fans can drive to, so what does that say about them? Was expecting to see a lot more orange.

Too bad you didn't get to experience "glory days" of late 2000s, b/c the place can get loud. Loudest I think was Greg Robinson's sack of USF QB in 2007 on goal line stand. Second was at end of Pitt OT game in 2006 when the place was only half-full at the end. Urge you to return when current issues get fixed

Reaction Score
Also said that while we are on a good trajectory, not being able to be full for Syracuse does not help.

I'm not as disturbed as some seem to be about this encounter. However, he should not be publicly bitching about the attendance now that he's in charge. It's pretty much the No. 1 reason he was hired. "Yeah, I gotta do more to get people in the seats here. What do you think would work?" would have been a nice way to address it. New England is a different animal than the rest of the country so what worked at Arizona State, VCU, Minn and Auburn isn't necessarily going to work here.

Uconnalliance

Please cancel the program all hope is lost
Reaction Score
The problem is UConn had an experience coach and we know what happened with him at the helm.
I like his energy and pep but I want to see more from him on defensive side maybe him in control and to get someone who has run an offense before. I think he knows that there is pressure from Alumni and others to do better. I just hope he can change on the fly.
Agree

Reaction Score
Too bad you didn't get to experience "glory days" of late 2000s, b/c the place can get loud. Loudest I think was Greg Robinson's sack of USF QB in 2007 on goal line stand. Second was at end of Pitt OT game in 2006 when the place was only half-full at the end. Urge you to return when current issues get fixed
Or Todman getting four on a fourth and two with a minute left on the UConn 25 in 2010. Up the gut.

HuskiesFan1014

Mora excited than before.
Reaction Score
The idiot should have just said "Great flag, love your commitment, and UConn is doing everything it can to get into the Big 12. Can I get a dog with mustard?"
The convo you guys had with him and this thread makes me sick to my stomach.
Deep breath, Bro. You're a bit over the top here. Don't over-read. And he is anything but an idiot.

Reaction Score
Deep breath, Bro. You're a bit over the top here. Don't over-read. And he is anything but an idiot.

You and @Jarhead_1775 -- if the fire boots fit...;)

Shitpot.jpg

Reaction Score
You and @Jarhead_1775 -- if the fire boots fit...;)

View attachment 15803
Didn't mean to stir , really. Suppose I knew that'd be the effect. Was just passing along what he said with my takeaway of the overall feeling of the conversation. I hate that he wasn't all like just you wait boys, I'm taking you to the promised land. I guess next time I'll post something about a podunk u fan who was getting a rub and tug next to me at a car wash telling me we are on our way to the Big 19.5. <sigh> it really is depressing.

Reaction Score
I don't think we should read too much into Bennedict's remarks. He just stated the obvious things and most likely knows no more than the rest of us at this point in time.

ZOOCONN

the drive to win has to come from within
Reaction Score
was at Gate D 12:35 and got in stadium just in time to see 1st burning of Summers. It did seem as if the growth of the line exploded in a very short period of time.

I tried D this week because C was so horrendous last week.

i think one of the issues are the "attendants" that scan tickets, all the games so far this season it has taken 5-10 attempts to scan my tickets, sat the attendant asked me after the 6th attempt, "are these season tickets?" i said yes and he just tore the bottom off of the ticket. i wonder if there is an understood issue with season tickets not scanning.

ZOOCONN

Reaction Score
Dude they are not in their seats 40 mins ahead of time at freaking Alabama, Notre Dame, you name it. This sanctimonious "be there early" stuff from ppl who probably haven't been to a SEC/Big Ten game is getting real tiresome.

so because you choose not to go in to watch warm ups your gonna dump on people who go in early and are in their seats for kickoff without a problem? piss off

as a side note who gives a if ppl havent been to a BIG or SEC game? last i checked UConn doesnt play in those conferences so i could care less what "they" do.

ZOOCONN

Reaction Score
So are a lot of other "fans" and that is the problem. We make a big show out of picking up and packing, people watch us but do not take the hint. So I'm not going to gat an ulcer trying to tell other people what to do. None of my business.

When we are running late as we did on Saturday, we bring a camp stove and a simple meal. Thinking there would be long lines we went in 45 minutes before game time.

couldn't agree more.... we usually start to pack up an hr before kickoff and get looks from people like we are out of our damn minds. i never understood this, you people are "paying customers" as others have so eloquently put it so why wouldn't you want to maximize the value of that ticket you purchased? some people are just here to throw a party in an open field and that is it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom