Conversation with Benedict | The Boneyard

Conversation with Benedict

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Met with Dave Benedict at our tailgate just now. We asked him how the Big12 meeting went and he didn't glow. He said that if they are hanging their hat on geography, we are going to lose. Also said that while we are on a good trajectory, not being able to be full for Syracuse does not help. 1 bowl game in 6 years does not help. He said football in general is really hurting us.
This is obviously all stuff we know, but to hear kind of a Debbie downer attitude from him was not inspiring. Says he is aware of the boneyard but never logs in. I explained that this community is really the heart of people who give money and stick with it no matter what. He said he would like to *try* to engage us at some point, but the time and effort he puts into other issues precludes it.

Reaction Score
This tells me that he won't be patient with the football program. If by the end of the season he determines the team underperformed, HCBD will officially be on a very hot seat in 2017.

Also, I assume he figured his comments would make it on the Boneyard after he knew Who he was talking to. Sending messages to the staff and the fan base?

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
This tells me that he won't be patient with the football program. If by the end of the season he determines the team underperformed, HCBD will officially be on a very hot seat in 2017.

Also, I assume he figured his comments would make it on the Boneyard after he knew Who he was talking to. Sending messages to the staff and the fan base?
He was disappointed when we only had 1,000 fans at the Huskywalk first game, because Auburn gets 20,000. He is going to be disappointed a lot if he thought everywhere else is like the SEC.

Reaction Score
He was disappointed when we only had 1,000 fans at the Huskywalk first game, because Auburn gets 20,000. He is going to be disappointed a lot if he thought everywhere else is like the SEC.

Hopefully he too this job because he likes a challenge. Because he has one.

Redding Husky

UConn & SMU alum
Reaction Score
Expecting a sell out is asking a bit much. 35K is a good number if we can get that.

We're surrounded by the Athens and Sparta (NY, Boston) of professional sports. Fans in the Northeast get excited about World Championsips and little else. We're playing a game (college football) that is not #1 in our region. And we went into this year basically expecting a 7-5 record and a 4th place finish in our division.

Having said that ... with the right coach, with a good schedule, and with high expectations, we can easily Be as relevant as FB programs like WVU and Maryland in terms of success on and off the field.

Reaction Score
Did he know anything about UConn football and Northeast football compared to South/Midwest before he took the job? This sounds like an excuse for when we get passed over. Hopefully not, this doesn't sound encouraging honestly.

Met with Dave Benedict at our tailgate just now. We asked him how the Big12 meeting went and he didn't glow. He said that if they are hanging their hat on geography, we are going to lose. Also said that while we are on a good trajectory, not being able to be full for Syracuse does not help. 1 bowl game in 6 years does not help. He said football in general is really hurting us.
This is obviously all stuff we know, but to hear kind of a Debbie downer attitude from him was not inspiring. Says he is aware of the boneyard but never logs in. I explained that this community is really the heart of people who give money and stick with it no matter what. He said he would like to *try* to engage us at some point, but the time and effort he puts into other issues precludes it.

Reaction Score
Interesting that he was that forthcoming with information. Obviously he didn't say anything that anyone here didn't already assume, but administrators are typically very guarded in what they say and how they say it. Could have been his way of softening the blow to a group that is devoted to the cause, or he simply could have been using subtle scare tactics to try to drum up attendance in any casual supporters listening in on the conversation.

Reaction Score
The Dude said we were out and our presentation was poor, maybe he is more plugged in than we give credit for

He was definitely not radiating positivity about our prospects.

Reaction Score
We haven't scored a point in the 1st quarter in ANY of our first 4 games but yeah it's all the fan's fault the ceiling is 35k for attendance.

And it wouldn't surprise me at all if our presentation was poor. Routinely posters on this site like Dooley present better facts and figures to sell us publically than anyone associated with UConn.

Reaction Score
Asking for sellout is too much because of the coaching staff. Some people want to watch a game where they can cheer, not feel pain. I had an elder couple in front of me leave the game after the first quarter against Maine.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
I would hope any UConn football fans who interact with the AD let him know that we have the same expectations for football as we do others sports. 6-6 records and 28k fans isn't acceptable.

Fans have shown we can sell out the Rent and make it a tough out on any teams schedule.

Reaction Score
Hopefully he too this job because he likes a challenge. Because he has one.
Well, a good career opportunity, resulting experience with greater responsibilities, and a resulting attractive compensation package may complement Benedict's challenge.

Reaction Score
I would hope any UConn football fans who interact with the AD let him know that we have the same expectations for football as we do others sports. 6-6 records and 28k fans isn't acceptable.

Fans have shown we can sell out the Rent and make it a tough out on any teams schedule.
He's well aware. Well aware that football will be an active hindrance.

Uconnalliance

Please cancel the program all hope is lost
Reaction Score
Can you say Rice? Ball state? Kentucky? thats us! were never landing in another conference,THAT you can hang your hat on,especially with this half ass HC

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom