Conversation with Benedict | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Conversation with Benedict

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Having an expectation that the AAC will get into the teens in their next deal is crazier than expecting the football team to win 8 games this year.

I know you think you know strategic management theory; but, I beg to differ. Further, I see little reason to believe that this Conference structure - locked recently by the ACC with their GoR - will go to 2035. ESPN will be fighting off techonology like IBM and succumb to its forces from new entrants.

Reaction Score
I have been a fan of David Benedict since his arrival. I find it hard to believe that he would make such statements at a tailgate, unless he was drunk himself. Really sad news, but not unexpected. If it is true, it seems like he has already given up.

Reaction Score
I have been a fan of David Benedict since his arrival. I find it hard to believe that he would make such statements at a tailgate, unless he was drunk himself. Really sad news, but not unexpected. If it is true, it seems like he has already given up.

Benedict has a chance to put his own imprint onto the program. He can start by raising enough money to buy out Diaco and bring in his own coach. He can listen to the fanbase and bring in someone who can install a high power offense.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
I know you think you know strategic management theory; but, I beg to differ. Further, I see little reason to believe that this Conference structure - locked recently by the ACC with their GoR - will go to 2035. ESPN will be fighting off techonology like IBM and succumb to its forces from new entrants.

Your posts on the topic are incoherent drivel and you are calling for a 700% increase in AAC rights fees.

I quite prefer when you disagree with me or question what I may or may not understand.

Reaction Score
So the AD is walking around the lot and targets a group with a B12 flag, specifically asks about it and then says we are doomed. I'm missing something. Couldn't he have avoided the whole thing?

Sure he could have avoided it but his part in this process has largely been played. Avoiding the situation gets us nowhere. He/We have to deal with it and his authenticity will serve him well with the fans and in future decisions. I'm tired of BS as a SOP and find it refreshing with very little downside. To the extent that you can be upfront about things your chances for "buy-in" among fans, athletes and colleagues improves. It's about mutual respect and you have to be willing to risk a little sometimes to get it back.

Reaction Score
Your posts on the topic are incoherent drivel and you are calling for a 700% increase in AAC rights fees.

I quite prefer when you disagree with me or question what I may or may not understand.

AND ... you can find someone new to grind. I simply read your exalted opinion on business and football; pray you win your massive bet of Utah over USC; and smile. We are in an era of tremendous change to the distribution of content. Neither you or I know what is truly coming. Except increasingly smaller chips and capacity. At the moment, my view is these long term commitments to the B1G and, particularly, the ACC by ESPN are very risky.

And then laugh as if you even know what kind of world Susan Herbst is in.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
AND ... you can find someone new to grind. I simply read your exalted opinion on business and football; pray you win your massive bet of Utah over USC; and smile. We are in an era of tremendous change to the distribution of content. Neither you or I know what is truly coming. Except increasingly smaller chips and capacity. At the moment, my view is these long term commitments to the B1G and, particularly, the ACC by ESPN are very risky.

And then laugh as if you even know what kind of world Susan Herbst is in.

Actually your posts on pretty much every topic are completely incoherent. For the life of me I can't figure out what Utah and USC have to do with anything. I appreciate your prayers maybe that is what fueled the Utah comeback.

I don't pretend to know exactly what is going to happen. I do know that the AAC isn't going to get a 7x increase in their rights fees. I've posted that the deal that the ACC made with ESPN is very risky for the ACC. I've posted multiple times that there are professional sports franchises who are sitting on local deals that are going to go bust because there is no way those networks will be able to afford them in time.

Aw are your feelings still hurt that there are better negotiators on the planet than Susan Herbst? We get it your daddy was a school president - I'm sorry but that doesn't mean that school presidents are always the smartest people in the world. You and Art crack me up on this stuff - SUSAN HERBST is the GREATEST - no BETTER business PERSON has ever EXISTED. NO one anywhere COULD possibly OBTAIN even a single skill THAT would compare to HER. Others can't EVEN comprehend the WORLD in which she OPERATES.

You might want to consider sometime if you are biased on the topic...... you might also want to consider if academia is becoming more and more detached from reality.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Susan gave us the ROCKSTAR who oversaw crashing attendance across the board, a budget that requires a $30 million dollar subsidy and hired the football coach that about 60% of the fanbase wants burned at the stake. HER UNATTAINABLE NEGOTIATING SKILLS THEN HANDED THIS COACH A CONTRACT EXTENSION OFF OF ALMOST NO RESULTS! DO NOT QUESTION HER GREATNESS. SHE MUST BE TREATED AS THOUGH SHE IS THE LEADER OF NORTH KOREA.

The extension is good for a laugh this morning. THANK GOD HE'S LOCKED UP!!!! He only had 3 years left on his deal. TFG we got years 4 and 5 locked down when we did.

UConn football coach Bob Diaco has agreed to a two-year contract extension designed to keep him in Storrs through the 2020 football season, the school said Monday.

Spokesman Mike Enright said the new contract will pay the 43-year-old Diaco $2 million in 2019 and $2.1 million in 2020.

The deal also calls for raises of $100,000, $150,000 and $200,000 in the three remaining seasons of his old contract. That will bring his total compensation to $1.7 million this year, $1.8 million in 2017 and $1.9 million in 2018.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
was at Gate D 12:35 and got in stadium just in time to see 1st burning of Summers. It did seem as if the growth of the line exploded in a very short period of time.

I tried D this week because C was so horrendous last week.
It must be you. We got to Gate C at about 20 of and pretty much went right in.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
I walked around the stadium 15 minutes before kick and walked past all 4 gates. Two of them were jammed and two of them were empty.

polycom

I heard a beep, who just joined?
Reaction Score
People want transparency and not the BD level of bs, AD gives that...people complain. Impossible to please group huh.

C

Chief00

Susan gave us the ROCKSTAR who oversaw crashing attendance across the board, a budget that requires a $30 million dollar subsidy and hired the football coach that about 60% of the fanbase wants burned at the stake. HER UNATTAINABLE NEGOTIATING SKILLS THEN HANDED THIS COACH A CONTRACT EXTENSION OFF OF ALMOST NO RESULTS! DO NOT QUESTION HER GREATNESS. SHE MUST BE TREATED AS THOUGH SHE IS THE LEADER OF NORTH KOREA.

The extension is good for a laugh this morning. THANK GOD HE'S LOCKED UP!!!! He only had 3 years left on his deal. TFG we got years 4 and 5 locked down when we did.

UConn football coach Bob Diaco has agreed to a two-year contract extension designed to keep him in Storrs through the 2020 football season, the school said Monday.

Spokesman Mike Enright said the new contract will pay the 43-year-old Diaco $2 million in 2019 and $2.1 million in 2020.

The deal also calls for raises of $100,000, $150,000 and $200,000 in the three remaining seasons of his old contract. That will bring his total compensation to $1.7 million this year, $1.8 million in 2017 and $1.9 million in 2018.

You pretty much nailed it.

Reaction Score

This is an outstanding post but seeds to our demise were planted before Warde. Pendergast was the acting AD when our world collapsed. Everything that's happened since, the subsidy and everything else is a direct consequence of that, but really started with Hathaway hiring P.

Reaction Score
The line was ridiculous for the second game in a row. And for the "get there early" crowd you missed kickoff if you got in line 25 mins before kickoff. The atmosphere definitely could use a jolt, although winning and proper coaching would help. And when UConn mounted its comebacks in 2nd and 4th quarter there was lots of life in building, although the goal line "stand" certainly sucked a lot of air out of Rent.
How about getting in your seats about 40 minutes before game time ? I walk right in without a problem.

Reaction Score
How about getting in your seats about 40 minutes before game time ? I walk right in without a problem.

Dude they are not in their seats 40 mins ahead of time at freaking Alabama, Notre Dame, you name it. This sanctimonious "be there early" stuff from ppl who probably haven't been to a SEC/Big Ten game is getting real tiresome.

Reaction Score
Benedict needs to give Diaco an ultimatum. We know he brought in Cummings then Verducci both 1st time OC so he can maintain 110% control over the team. Well it's obviously backfired. You tell ole' Bobby bring in a real OC who can also help manage the clock and hand the reigns over on offense. He's not a true HC, let him be the face and the voice and the defense and let someone run the offense. If Verducci-Diaco are our OC next year we will see the same results.

Reaction Score
I walked around the stadium 15 minutes before kick and walked past all 4 gates. Two of them were jammed and two of them were empty.

assuming the empty ones were A and B. Will try that next time.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
This is an outstanding post but seeds to our demise were planted before Warde. Pendergast was the acting AD when our world collapsed. Everything that's happened since, the subsidy and everything else is a direct consequence of that, but really started with Hathaway hiring P.

Well sure there are plenty of others reasons - let's just not act like there is no blame about where things are today for the current leadership.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
assuming the empty ones were A and B. Will try that next time.

The two on the scoreboard end were busy. The two on the student end of the field weren't.

Reaction Score

Only the Rutgers AD is allowed to be drunk at a tailgate

Reaction Score
Dude they are not in their seats 40 mins ahead of time at freaking Alabama, Notre Dame, you name it. This sanctimonious "be there early" stuff from ppl who probably haven't been to a SEC/Big Ten game is getting real tiresome.
All I'm saying is just go in early,watch some warm-ups,relax, and not complain about how difficult it was to get in to see the start of the game.

Reaction Score
Well sure there are plenty of others reasons - let's just not act like there is no blame about where things are today for the current leadership.
No doubt. Getting passed over for Louisville was the death knell. I feel Warde and Susan blew that, but nearly everyone tells me they were destined to lose that one to appease Clemson and FSU. If we're going to grant them immunity for that one, I can't blame them for the mess they walked into previously.

It was the perfect storm.

Reaction Score
All I'm saying is just go in early,watch some warm-ups,relax, and not complain about how difficult it was to get in to see the start of the game.

You can diminish the legitimacy of my point all you want. It's Rentschler Field, not the Big House or the LA Coliseum or getting on a G-D airplane. If I get line 20-25 mins before the game I have a completely reasonable expectation to being able to see the kickoff. And, as a paying customer (four season tickets), whoever is running the Rent should be accommodate that. All that said, appreciate the advice that some gates are much less busy than others. I'll gate-hop if the same issue arises at Cincinnati. Just hope we have a decent crowd for that one.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Darkbloom

Top Bottom