Conversation with Benedict | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Conversation with Benedict

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Did you take the bus, too? My grill is still on 40 mins prior

So are a lot of other "fans" and that is the problem. We make a big show out of picking up and packing, people watch us but do not take the hint. So I'm not going to gat an ulcer trying to tell other people what to do. None of my business.

When we are running late as we did on Saturday, we bring a camp stove and a simple meal. Thinking there would be long lines we went in 45 minutes before game time.

Reaction Score
Dude they are not in their seats 40 mins ahead of time at freaking Alabama, Notre Dame, you name it. This sanctimonious "be there early" stuff from ppl who probably haven't been to a SEC/Big Ten game is getting real tiresome.

This sanctimonious person has been to a Big ten game and yes they were in their seats.

Reaction Score
For what its worth:
1. I give Benedict credit for engaging fans and talking openly as possible without violating confidentiality.
2. The guy is a human being and his job #1 is get us out of this mess. Anyone would be down if they saw the writing on the wall.
3. I sense that perhaps there is not the commitment and level of support to extract ourselves as he thought. He comes from a football first and only environment. The Big12 membership undoubtedly will distill down into a financial discussion and what a school is willing to contribute and forego in revenue share.
4. The fans in the seats I think is culture shock. Had he been around in 2010, the world would look entirely different. The Rent was a loud, rocking place. We lost that and PP and Diaco are not helping.
5. He needs to not wallow in misery and start drinking the Kool Aide and be an agent of change, and not another monitoring the situation guy. You have to break some eggs to make an omelet. Its time to start breaking eggs. The status quo guarantees ultimate death.

Reaction Score
With all due respect to this thread, if DB is yapping his gums to tailgaters/fans at games about CR, then our goose is cooked. NDAs mean no talking to anyone under any circumstance.

Sorry - No they don't... IMO, He violated nothing with his brief comments (taking @Jarhead_1775 post @ face value for what was said. .

Last edited:

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
Sorry - No they don't... IMO, He violated nothing with his brief comments (taking @Jarhead_1775 post @ face value for what was said. .

I just don't understand why Benedict would engage in CR talk during a tailgate with fans when everyone in Storrs has been on ultra silent mode for several months now.

I take this as a very bad sign. I hope I'm wrong.

Reaction Score
I just don't understand why Benedict would engage in CR talk during a tailgate with fans when everyone in Storrs has been on ultra silent mode for several months now.

I take this as a very bad sign. I hope I'm wrong.

I'm not putting any weight on whether it's a good sign or bad sign just that what he said in context is not a violation of the NDA (semi-educated opinion not having read the NDA).

shizzle787

King Shizzle DCCLXXXVII of the Cesspool
Reaction Score
Expecting a sell out is asking a bit much. 35K is a good number if we can get that.

We're surrounded by the Athens and Sparta (NY, Boston) of professional sports. Fans in the Northeast get excited about World Championsips and little else. We're playing a game (college football) that is not #1 in our region. And we went into this year basically expecting a 7-5 record and a 4th place finish in our division.

Having said that ... with the right coach, with a good schedule, and with high expectations, we can easily Be as relevant as FB programs like WVU and Maryland in terms of success on and off the field.
Wait...Maryland is relevant???

Reaction Score
At this point, just protect the Hoop asset

The Dude said the UConn presentation was awful and they seemed ill-prepared to respond to difficult questions. Not that that is any source, but the DB talk makes me think we're totally out. Who knows honestly, but him being silent would have been more encouraging.

For what its worth:
1. I give Benedict credit for engaging fans and talking openly as possible without violating confidentiality.
2. The guy is a human being and his job #1 is get us out of this mess. Anyone would be down if they saw the writing on the wall.
3. I sense that perhaps there is not the commitment and level of support to extract ourselves as he thought. He comes from a football first and only environment. The Big12 membership undoubtedly will distill down into a financial discussion and what a school is willing to contribute and forego in revenue share.
4. The fans in the seats I think is culture shock. Had he been around in 2010, the world would look entirely different. The Rent was a loud, rocking place. We lost that and PP and Diaco are not helping.
5. He needs to not wallow in misery and start drinking the Kool Aide and be an agent of change, and not another monitoring the situation guy. You have to break some eggs to make an omelet. Its time to start breaking eggs. The status quo guarantees ultimate death.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score

The Dude said the UConn presentation was awful and they seemed ill-prepared to respond to difficult questions. Not that that is any source, but the DB talk makes me think we're totally out. Who knows honestly, but him being silent would have been more encouraging.

I doubt our presentation was bad. What I don't doubt was bad is/was our football program perception. I'm sure one of the questions asked was "how will UConn compete in the Big 12 when it struggles to compete in the AAC?". If the answer from UConn was "because winners win", then that wouldn't have helped.

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score
Benedict has a chance to put his own imprint onto the program. He can start by raising enough money to buy out Diaco and bring in his own coach. He can listen to the fanbase and bring in someone who can install a high power offense.

From my reading of his contract the buyout drops from something like 5.5 million down to 3.4 million after Jan 1, 2017. The trigger should be pulled right after the recruiting period ends in early Feb. If he's got recruits who want to follow him into oblivion, so be it. Pull the plug on this clown before the whole ship goes down with no life rafts.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
My personal belief is that if we could demonstrate that we could be merely competent in football at a P-5 level we would already have been given an invitation but as there is concern on many levels (quality of product, fan support, overall commitment) those in power at the B-12 aren't willing to pull the trigger.

I'm convinced Benedict is frustrated with what he sees as one question those in charge would ask is "if this is what your fans do when there is a potential reward (B-12 membership), why should we expect better once you are no longer motivated?

Before someone brings up the Fiesta Bowl season keep in mind that to date all evidence indicates that this was the exception, not the rule. Additionally, three and a half decades ago when FSU made their first ever Orange Bowl when many of the old guard believed due to a less than stellar schedule, they were beaten badly by Oklahoma (similar point differential to our Fiesta Bowl loss but a much lower scoring game). FSU came back a year later with a far more competitive team. Our response was falling off the map.

We've got a lot to prove and have done almost nothing to try to prove it.

Reaction Score
From my reading of his contract the buyout drops from something like 5.5 million down to 3.4 million after Jan 1, 2017. The trigger should be pulled right after the recruiting period ends in early Feb. If he's got recruits who want to follow him into oblivion, so be it. Pull the plug on this clown before the whole ship goes down with no life rafts.
I appreciate where you're coming from, but it's clear with the extension he has at a minimum through two MORE seasons. If they had any thought that he might not be their guy, never would have signed an extension.

Reaction Score
There is no violation of an NDA if things are disclosed that are already known to the public generally through no fault of the disclosing party. Nothing he said is not known or been said in the course of public conversation. Further,one cannot infer any information that is private (i.e. Actual status of selection or content of any negotiations or discussions). He is fine.

Reaction Score

What does the "Dude" know? Seriously? You need to put down your phone or whatever...

Reaction Score
Dude they are not in their seats 40 mins ahead of time at freaking Alabama, Notre Dame, you name it. This sanctimonious "be there early" stuff from ppl who probably haven't been to a SEC/Big Ten game is getting real tiresome.

Maybe not 40 min but games I've attended at UTexas, Auburn, and LSU had a full house during band pregame and the TV tune in.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
Maybe not 40 min but games I've attended at UTexas, Auburn, and LSU had a full house at or near six figures during band pregame and the TV tune in.
Fixed it for you

Reaction Score
Actually your posts on pretty much every topic are completely incoherent. For the life of me I can't figure out what Utah and USC have to do with anything. I appreciate your prayers maybe that is what fueled the Utah comeback.

I don't pretend to know exactly what is going to happen. I do know that the AAC isn't going to get a 7x increase in their rights fees. I've posted that the deal that the ACC made with ESPN is very risky for the ACC. I've posted multiple times that there are professional sports franchises who are sitting on local deals that are going to go bust because there is no way those networks will be able to afford them in time.

Aw are your feelings still hurt that there are better negotiators on the planet than Susan Herbst? We get it your daddy was a school president - I'm sorry but that doesn't mean that school presidents are always the smartest people in the world. You and Art crack me up on this stuff - SUSAN HERBST is the GREATEST - no BETTER business PERSON has ever EXISTED. NO one anywhere COULD possibly OBTAIN even a single skill THAT would compare to HER. Others can't EVEN comprehend the WORLD in which she OPERATES.

You might want to consider sometime if you are biased on the topic. you might also want to consider if academia is becoming more and more detached from reality.

Let's remember your point - you stated that Susan Herbst was out of her element as a negotiator.

You stated that you had met - don't remember the number - X executives far more capable.

That's ignorant.

Whatever you think you were stating, it wasn't directly relevant to the position of a College President. As some on this board & in that stadium know, Susan Herbst has done a exemplary job as UConn President. And, she is supported in full by some of the finest minds, attorneys & leaders in the State. The specific topic of realignment, sports revenue & negotiations thereupon ... is solidly handled by our University.

Your statement about Herbst was out of your personal set of experience.

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
Season ticket holder for 11 years, we haven't reached bottom yet

I hope your wrong on hitting bottom because that is unacceptable if UConn hasn't hit it yet. My guess is you are not a fan of this coaching staff in saying that. Not that I am all that thrilled with how they are playing

Reaction Score
I hope your wrong on hitting bottom because that is unacceptable if UConn hasn't hit it yet. My guess is you are not a fan of this coaching staff in saying that. Not that I am all that thrilled with how they are playing
And you are a fan of this coaching staff? Why?

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
And you are a fan of this coaching staff? Why?

I am a fan of UConn and always have been. I want whoever is coaching to succeed. I am not happy with the defense nor the offense at this time but I am happy with our field goal kicking

Reaction Score
Actually your posts on pretty much every topic are completely incoherent. For the life of me I can't figure out what Utah and USC have to do with anything. I appreciate your prayers maybe that is what fueled the Utah comeback.

I don't pretend to know exactly what is going to happen. I do know that the AAC isn't going to get a 7x increase in their rights fees. I've posted that the deal that the ACC made with ESPN is very risky for the ACC. I've posted multiple times that there are professional sports franchises who are sitting on local deals that are going to go bust because there is no way those networks will be able to afford them in time.

Aw are your feelings still hurt that there are better negotiators on the planet than Susan Herbst? We get it your daddy was a school president - I'm sorry but that doesn't mean that school presidents are always the smartest people in the world. You and Art crack me up on this stuff - SUSAN HERBST is the GREATEST - no BETTER business PERSON has ever EXISTED. NO one anywhere COULD possibly OBTAIN even a single skill THAT would compare to HER. Others can't EVEN comprehend the WORLD in which she OPERATES.

You might want to consider sometime if you are biased on the topic. you might also want to consider if academia is becoming more and more detached from reality.

This post needs more likes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99