Conversation with Benedict | Page 6 | The Boneyard

Conversation with Benedict

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
so because you choose not to go in to watch warm ups your gonna dump on people who go in early and are in their seats for kickoff without a problem? piss off

as a side note who gives a -ing if ppl havent been to a BIG or SEC game? last i checked UConn doesnt play in those conferences so i could care less what "they" do.

Pump the brakes, chief. The "dumping" was initiated by the holier-than-thou crap that surfaced again this week when it was noted how bad and how slow and how long the lines were to get in. It wasn't like people walked up to the gate 5 mins before kickoff. People who were in line 25-30 mins before the game missed the kickoff. That ain't right. Have never criticized anyone who wants to be in their seat early. By the same token don't need to be lectured to, either. Like the man said, people are still grilling 40 mins before kickoff. That does not seem unreasonable to me.

Reaction Score
How do we allow 270 yards to one WR????????????????? HEY BOBBYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY

SonsOfNutmeg

#TheCut #HuskyRevolution
Reaction Score
Sounds like the guy was being straight up with you which I like versus the bullshyt Bobby Debacle is telling us regarding this football team.

This was the first game I have been to this year as I recently moved to GA. Prior to that I held season tickets for 7 years. The delay at the gate with about 20 minutes to kickoff was the longest I has ever seen. The atmosphere is uninspiring. The place is a concrete morgue.
This sums it up... "The atmosphere is uninspiring. The place is a concrete morgue." Hahaha

Reaction Score
I don't think we should read too much into Bennedict's remarks. He just stated the obvious things and most likely knows no more than the rest of us at this point in time.
I agree that he likely knows no more than the rest of us, I disagree that that fact alone isn't something we should read into.

If he knows no more than the rest of us, in late September, then we're a fringe candidate at the very most.

This isn't necessarily just a bad sign for UConn's chances. I think it's a bad sign overall for any kind of Big 12 expansion.

SonsOfNutmeg

#TheCut #HuskyRevolution
Reaction Score
One thing that's interesting to me, and I think a part of our ticket sales problem is just CR itself. There are people in this state who still think we're in the Big East, or have no clue what conference we're in and who the heck we're playing.

Check out this article from 2015 re: Houston not selling out its 40K seat ON-CAMPUS stadium. Tom Herman's Not Happy With UH Attendance

SonsOfNutmeg

#TheCut #HuskyRevolution
Reaction Score
Benedict is only stating the truth, and to be honest its kind of refreshing to see an AD with this "real" of a comment on our current state.

One thing (and someone else metioned this as well) he needs to realize though is that this is New England, not the South and not the SEC... our fans are different and our football culture is differnt. We had a amazing thing building in the works back in 2002, then FHCRE left, Hathaway stuck us with PP, and two things happened- 1. he derailed any momentum we had from the Fiesta Bowl and the program's growth, and 2. Conference Realignment drastically changed the CFB landscape, the playoff system, and the "Power 5" happened.

Power 5 vs. Group of 5 is the single biggest thing (outside of not winning on a consistant basis) that has hurt UConn Football IMO. The average fan now can't see UConn in the conversation nationally becuase the reality is that we're no longer in that coversation of "big boy" football as we were back in the Big East days when the Big East was a "power conference" if you think of it in today's terms.

Now, how does one guy in Benedict come in here and overnight fix everything wrong with the program. The truth is he can't and it'll take years, not months to. So I hope he's comitted to staying the course and sicking it out here at UConn. The last thing we need is another AD jumping ship because we aren't getting a P5 invite.

Reaction Score
I am a fan of UConn and always have been. I want whoever is coaching to succeed. I am not happy with the defense nor the offense at this time but I am happy with our field goal kicking
Well, when that whoever is coaching is exhibiting incompetency of legendary proportions, then what do you do? Keep hoping they do better? I have a hard time even buying his religious talk.

Reaction Score
What DOES seem to be clear is that there is no consensus among B12 presidents and probably no super-majority to do anything. That is not a half bad result for UConn -- if they do not expand.

Ironically to give everyone in the B12 what they want, they may have to expand by four in which case ESPN and Fox would demand concessions. JTHO of someone who has counted votes in the past.

Btw, I am hearing that UConn's Title 9 compliance and success in women's sports is viewed as a significant plus by those who count. If true, that would certainly be ironic.

Reaction Score
in all fairness that took all of 49 seconds lol
Fair point, but the D gate had enough real estate to add a few more screeners. They were not running at full capacity and all lanes open. Thinking Governor Christie must have schooled them.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I don't know if I agree with that. I think HCRE would have gone to PSU the very next year if he didn't take his dream job.
If he didn't I think at least the next two season (PP 1st two) we're bowling. That's a whole different narrative. I admit that I thought RE had taken us about as far as he could. I just wasn't expecting to fall off a cliff after he left. Right now bowling every year and competing for the conference championship every few sounds pretty good doesn't it?

Reaction Score
some people are just here to throw a party in an open field and that is it.
Yes, many people come to the stadium to tailgate and don't give two craps about the game. The game is a facilitator for the atmosphere in the parking lots that they desire. It's the tailgate that's the main source of entertainment and fun for these folks, not the game.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
i think one of the issues are the "attendants" that scan tickets, all the games so far this season it has taken 5-10 attempts to scan my tickets, sat the attendant asked me after the 6th attempt, "are these season tickets?" i said yes and he just tore the bottom off of the ticket. i wonder if there is an understood issue with season tickets not scanning.

The standard is to be in your seat, or at least the stadium when the band hit's the field. Most big programs are at our first quarter full when the pregame show starts.

It's not that hard. Pack up the tailgate 45 minutes before the kick and get in 25 min before kick. The band usually steps off 20 minutes prior.

If you can't plan to be somewhere 4 hours prior there is something wrong with you.

SubbaBub

Reaction Score
Yes, many people come to the stadium to tailgate and don't give two craps about the game. The game is a facilitator for the atmosphere in the parking lots that they desire. It's the tailgate that's the main source of entertainment and fun for these folks, not the game.

I never understood people who do this. If I'm going to have a BBQ and not watch the game, I'm staying home where my set up is better, I don't have to lug all my food across the state and have much more comfortable chairs.

SubbaBub

Reaction Score
One thing that's interesting to me, and I think a part of our ticket sales problem is just CR itself. There are people in this state who still think we're in the Big East, or have no clue what conference we're in and who the heck we're playing.

Check out this article from 2015 re: Houston not selling out its 40K seat ON-CAMPUS stadium. Tom Herman's Not Happy With UH Attendance

If we had a top ten team, the place would be sold out at tickets selling for double face value.

We don't even need a top ten team. UH has a clear support problem. They are 50/50 to go to the playoff and they can't generate a walk up?

Reaction Score
I know beyond any doubt that I worked with and against people who are better negotiators than Susan Herbst. I'm sorry that you don't understand what other people do and have done - but this isn't even a question. Here is a secret - the lawyers and leaders in the private sector can run laps around government employees.

Realignment is handled solidly by the University? Yeah the school that has done the worst in realignment is UConn. If you can literally have the worst results possible and have your efforts deemed solid - there aren't even words to describe how silly that is. Bring that mentality to the private sector (lol).

Call whoever you like ignorant. Your posts are incoherent. Your position on how UConn handles CR is ridiculous. You have absolutely no idea what personal experiences I have or who I have been around.

Maybe she has done a good job on non-sports related issues. 1. That has nothing to do with what we are talking about. 2. She gave Diaco year 4 and 5 for no reason and he has a 5 million dollar buyout. So the actual argument that she can negotiate kind of goes out the window with that now doesn't it.

Vicey versa.

You poseur. You don't have anything relevant for this conversation. No negotiation that you are referring to has any parallel to what THIS University has confronted since 2002. There is absolutely no way to overcome the primary deficiency which is we didn't start FBS/D1 football 20 years earlier. There is nothing we could have done differently. Lew Perkins did a fine job getting us prepared - as shaky as this State could be in the 1990-1998 timeframe. We got to the party near midnight. In that respect, Herbst did all she could to prepare for this moment (sans being far closer to the nexus of the Red River). And really? Looking back and understanding the politics of the ACC, do we really need to whine about Louisville taking that slot given what we know of the FSU & Clemson & BC axis of UConn disgust. And B1G? We just weren't in line given the grab for TV sets that NJ & MD presented.

All this whining is crap. We had very little shot in each of these instances. And ... given you aren't married to Giselle Bundchen, I submit that you understand that position.

What are you going to promote like this? I would like to know. Herbst - and here's where I do know something - is one of the most dynamic leaders of a State University in the Northeast. Do you want to run through the track record of UMass, Penn State, Rutgers, UAlbany, Buffalo, Stony Brook, Binghamton, UNH, UMass Lowell, Temple? You are now going to ding her today about Diaco? That extension? She listened to her very competent ADs Warde Manuel & David Benedict. Today ... I am not feeling great about that move. But, that is 1/40th of the things Herbst takes initiative on.

Yes. I think gambling on football is stupid. Caring about a point spread on a game that I have no passion for either teams doesn't give me anything. I would rather bet horses; at least then there is a pretty woman with a hat walking by.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
The idiot should have just said "Great flag, love your commitment, and UConn is doing everything it can to get into the Big 12. Can I get a dog with mustard?"
The convo you guys had with him and this thread makes me sick to my stomach.

In other words, you'd rather not deal with reality.

I recommend the realignment board.

Alum86

Did they burn down the ROTC Hangar?
Reaction Score
In other words, you'd rather not deal with reality.
I recommend the realignment board.
I get depressed on the realignment board and wander to Football and a realignment topic slaps me in the face. Please keep Diaco off the Bartolo Colon baseball threads

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Vicey versa.

You poseur. You don't have anything relevant for this conversation. No negotiation that you are referring to has any parallel to what THIS University has confronted since 2002. There is absolutely no way to overcome the primary deficiency which is we didn't start FBS/D1 football 20 years earlier. There is nothing we could have done differently. Lew Perkins did a fine job getting us prepared - as shaky as this State could be in the 1990-1998 timeframe. We got to the party near midnight. In that respect, Herbst did all she could to prepare for this moment (sans being far closer to the nexus of the Red River). And really? Looking back and understanding the politics of the ACC, do we really need to whine about Louisville taking that slot given what we know of the FSU & Clemson & BC axis of UConn disgust. And B1G? We just weren't in line given the grab for TV sets that NJ & MD presented.

All this whining is crap. We had very little shot in each of these instances. And ... given you aren't married to Giselle Bundchen, I submit that you understand that position.

What are you going to promote like this? I would like to know. Herbst - and here's where I do know something - is one of the most dynamic leaders of a State University in the Northeast. Do you want to run through the track record of UMass, Penn State, Rutgers, UAlbany, Buffalo, Stony Brook, Binghamton, UNH, UMass Lowell, Temple? You are now going to ding her today about Diaco? That extension? She listened to her very competent ADs Warde Manuel & David Benedict. Today ... I am not feeling great about that move. But, that is 1/40th of the things Herbst takes initiative on.

Yes. I think gambling on football is stupid. Caring about a point spread on a game that I have no passion for either teams doesn't give me anything. I would rather bet horses; at least then there is a pretty woman with a hat walking by.

I actually been the financial lead on negotiations that have a very similar dynamic. They also were for a lot higher annual dollars than what the Big 12 pays it's schools. You don't seem to get that but that's your issue not mine.

Interesting that someone as wise as you thinks gambling on horses with a 28% advantage for the track makes sense while a 4.5% advantage for the house gambling on football is stupid. No idea what my hobbies have to do with it anyway.

It is amazing to watch someone defend the negotiating skills of someone who just extended Diaco. It's also amazing to watch someone try to push the blame to them - a few posts after commenting how she is surrounded by the best. Which is hilarious.

Actually the idea that college presidents can outnegotiate the private sector becomes ridiculous when you look at the contracts CFB coaches get across the board - but whatever if you don't worship at the altar of Suzie you are IGNORANT!

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
...but whatever if you don't worship at the altar of Suzie you are IGNORANT!
IMG_2281.JPG

Reaction Score

That article is from last year, how are they doing since?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro

Top Bottom