Conversation with Benedict | Page 8 | The Boneyard

Conversation with Benedict

Status
Not open for further replies.

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score
Yeah I'm full of good news. I pointed out that we are spoiled as UConn fans. We went to the fiesta bowl for cripes sake! He threw the usual wet blanket on us about backing our way in. That was annoying. My initial reaction was like screw you! You're supposed to give me the party line and tell me we will get back there! Alas, he's right. No any time soon. I suppose even though I didn't like it that at least he didn't give me rah rah baloney like someone else we know.

He actually said that about the Fiesta Bowl season? Wow, I'm done with Benedict right now. The No. 1 person who's supposed to be promoting our entire athletic dept. is making comments like that to a complete stranger who's a UCONN fan? That is mind blowing.

How can we expect this guy to represent the athletic program if even he's not sold on it? What a joke. I'd have rather he lied about it than say something like that to a UCONN fan he'd never met before.

I've never bought into the crap about how we backed into the BCS bowl game. Yes it was perhaps a down year for the whole Big East Conference, but we beat WVU and won the games we had to win down the stretch to make it. Why is it our fault that the league wasn't particularly strong nationally? You play the teams on your conference schedule. It's not like you get to pick and choose those teams.

That's the answer I would prefer to hear from ANY current UCONN AD, not that we "backed in". When your own AD thinks your prior biggest accomplishment in football is a joke, I cannot express in words how much I loathe the idea of this guy representing us.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
He actually said that about the Fiesta Bowl season? Wow, I'm done with Benedict right now. The No. 1 person who's supposed to be promoting our entire athletic dept. is making comments like that to a complete stranger who's a UCONN fan? That is mind blowing.

How can we expect this guy to represent the athletic program if even he's not sold on it? What a joke. I'd have rather he lied about it than say something like that to a UCONN fan he'd never met before.

I've never bought into the crap about how we backed into the BCS bowl game. Yes it was perhaps a down year for the whole Big East Conference, but we beat WVU and won the games we had to win down the stretch to make it. Why is it our fault that the league wasn't particularly strong nationally? You play the teams on your conference schedule. It's not like you get to pick and choose those teams.

That's the answer I would prefer to hear from ANY current UCONN AD, not that we "backed in". When your own AD thinks your prior biggest accomplishment in football is a joke, I cannot express in words how much I loathe the idea of this guy representing us.

Why don't you tell us how you really feel?

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Wouldn't any logical coach look at PP and BD regimes and be like "Okay, I get why they fired them" I mean it's not a complex brain teaser to understand we have had the 2 worst coaches back to back and are not insanely firing guys early?

We aren't exactly firing Les Miles or Strong that had all phases but wins... We have coaches that have ZERO phases under control

I thought the same thing after PP.

I can't see how a person who wants to be a successful head coach worries about whether or not they will get canned after 3 losing seasons. That's not how successful people think.

Successful candidates don't ask about how much of a leash they will get if they fail three years in a row.

All their energy is on successful results.

Reaction Score
I chatted up Benedict last night at the basketball game. He made it clear that Diaco is going to be coming back. And in plain talk he made it clear that the reason he was coming back was that you cannot fire a coach after 2.5 years and the next one after three years and expect to have anyone worthwhile come coach your program. He very freely talked about Diaco's game management issues. I asked him if he was aware of the recruits father who had posted to the boneyard. He stopped me dead in my tracks and said that remember that the things you read on the internet aren't necessarily true and that there are two sides to every story. He was emphatic that Diaco cares for each and everyone of those kids like he was their own. If you guys see him at games chat him up yourselves. When he left it was because I let him out of the conversation. He was clearly willing to talk and answer questions as long as I had them. I don't have any kind of insider access to him I'm just a random guy in the stands asking him tough questions. I made it clear I was skeptical about the situation. He was gracious and easy to talk to.

Nice that he issued this statement that Diaco is coming back to one person. Has he heard of the mass media?

If Benedict is really sticking by this guy he ought to show some guts and issue a public statement to that effect.

I guess he really doesn't think, or care, that the Tulane crowd is going to be the norm next year.

Reaction Score
I chatted up Benedict last night at the basketball game. He made it clear that Diaco is going to be coming back. And in plain talk he made it clear that the reason he was coming back was that you cannot fire a coach after 2.5 years and the next one after three years and expect to have anyone worthwhile come coach your program. He very freely talked about Diaco's game management issues. I asked him if he was aware of the recruits father who had posted to the boneyard. He stopped me dead in my tracks and said that remember that the things you read on the internet aren't necessarily true and that there are two sides to every story. He was emphatic that Diaco cares for each and everyone of those kids like he was their own. If you guys see him at games chat him up yourselves. When he left it was because I let him out of the conversation. He was clearly willing to talk and answer questions as long as I had them. I don't have any kind of insider access to him I'm just a random guy in the stands asking him tough questions. I made it clear I was skeptical about the situation. He was gracious and easy to talk to.
This may not be Benedict's last word. The article in the Journal Inquirer tonight paints a picture of recruiting chaos and inaction while everyone waits to see who gets canned. Not pretty. The de-commit was one of only two three stars in the fold which is half the size of the next smallest recruiting class in the AAC, Cincinnati. I think the fact that Benedict or someone else has not spoken publicly really means they are still hard at work fundraising to buy out HCBD. The excuse for not firing him does not seem valid in light of events. This happens all the time in college football after three years of abject failure.

Reaction Score
Can we not get a few players to say they were mistreated and fire big bob like IU just did to a guy who took them to consecutive bowls for the first time in 25 years?

Oh wait, while he was renewed this year, his buyout is 1/2 of BD's - that makes sense. At some point someone needs to question the powers that be in Storrs because there is an ever increasing trail of incompetence, bad decisions, and missed opportunities.

Reaction Score
This may not be Benedict's last word. The article in the Journal Inquirer tonight paints a picture of recruiting chaos and inaction while everyone waits to see who gets canned. Not pretty. The de-commit was one of only two three stars in the fold which is half the size of the next smallest recruiting class in the AAC, Cincinnati. I think the fact that Benedict or someone else has not spoken publicly really means they are still hard at work fundraising to buy out HCBD. The excuse for not firing him does not seem valid in light of events. This happens all the time in college football after three years of abject failure.

To be fair, a guy decommits because of HC uncertainty and commits to a school where the HC will very likely be gone soon? Look, I am frankly embarrassed as hell that Temple is perceived as better than us (they, like Rutgers, were considered tier 1 goals to beat 15 years ago, then once we did that, we moved on to the bigger boys in the BE as well as other P6 programs), but do you really believe Rhule will still be there in 2018? I think he has a good chance to get a gig for 17, but his stay at Temple is coming to a quick close (for very good reasons, and the opposite of what we now have to presume is Keystone Cop U.

Reaction Score
And in plain talk he made it clear that the reason he was coming back was that you cannot fire a coach after 2.5 years and the next one after three years and expect to have anyone worthwhile come coach your program.

He was emphatic that Diaco cares for each and everyone of those kids like he was their own.

and another two things. What 'worthwhile' offensive coordinator is going to come here to work for a dead crazy man/program walking?

Ask Bryant Sherriffs and his family about the 'care' he has for each of these 'kids'. Based on the last six games, seems like the 'care' thing isn't really going both ways.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Compare Diaco's comment about scaring away potential coaches after the coach fails to this quote by the probable incoming Secretary of Defense.

General Mattis- "I don’t lose any sleep at night over the potential for failure. I cannot even spell the word.”

That's the mind set of a successful coach. If I were interviewing a candidate and the discussion ever led to how the AD and coach would approach the direction of the program, I'd instantly move on to the next candidate.

Similarly what coach would ever bring up to the AD how they should handle the path forward after 3 straight losing seasons?

Reaction Score
Can we not get a few players to say they were mistreated and fire big bob like IU just did to a guy who took them to consecutive bowls for the first time in 25 years?

Mike Leach got in so much trouble for making Craig James concussed son sit in a tool shed for 3 hours. Diaco's QB's play concussed every game & every play. Whitmer, Casey, BS have had massive brain damage and continued to play. They would have been in ecstasy for 3 hours in a shed.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
So we still believe this conversation actually happened?
Ask him yourself. I'm telling you. He's very approachable. Besides what do I have to gain by making it up? I've been around here for a while, @BrassBonanza and I don't care for the insinuation that I'm lying. I support him so far. I appreciate him not blowing smoke.

Reaction Score
Nice that he issued this statement that Diaco is coming back to one person. Has he heard of the mass media?

If Benedict is really sticking by this guy he ought to show some guts and issue a public statement to that effect.

I guess he really doesn't think, or care, that the Tulane crowd is going to be the norm next year.
Yeah I was pretty surprised he was willing to say that to me without a very public statement prior to. I suppose he didn't feel he had to. Fairly obvious that he is coming back. You don't announce the OC os being fired if you're going to fire the HC in a month. If you're firing your HC, why on earth would you make a big deal about firing a guy that's going to be gone in a month anyway. I get holding out hope, but wake up a bit

RedStickHusky

formerly SeoulHuskyFan
Reaction Score
No reason to throw shade at Jarhead but the comment on Diaco sounds like a contingency talking point in case you get asked.... he's here until he's gone is the bottom line. It's not like calling a press conference to give him a vote of confidence which you might do if you wanted to reassure recruits. I kind of feel the same as UConnNick about him trashing the Fiesta Bowl team though.... that's just not right.

Reaction Score
No reason to throw shade at Jarhead but the comment on Diaco sounds like a contingency talking point in case you get asked.... he's here until he's gone is the bottom line. It's not like calling a press conference to give him a vote of confidence which you might do if you wanted to reassure recruits. I kind of feel the same as UConnNick about him trashing the Fiesta Bowl team though.... that's just not right.
It did not sit well with me. I was shocked to not hear happy go lucky everything is going to be great and we are the greatest ever baloney. Bottom line I'm not sure how to feel overall.

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score
Compare Diaco's comment about scaring away potential coaches after the coach fails to this quote by the probable incoming Secretary of Defense.

General Mattis- "I don’t lose any sleep at night over the potential for failure. I cannot even spell the word.”

That's the mind set of a successful coach. If I were interviewing a candidate and the discussion ever led to how the AD and coach would approach the direction of the program, I'd instantly move on to the next candidate.

Similarly what coach would ever bring up to the AD how they should handle the path forward after 3 straight losing seasons?

I think you meant Benedict, but I cannot like your post enough. A prospective coach that's worried about what's going to happen to him if he miserably fails into his third season isn't worth worrying about. Winners don't contemplate what's going to happen if they fail because in their minds they're not going to fail, so that eventuality isn't any bit of concern for them. If a prospective coach expresses any concern about the commitment of the administration to them, based on prior experiences with PP and BD, I'd send them packing if I were the UCONN AD.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Yeah I'm full of good news. I pointed out that we are spoiled as UConn fans. We went to the fiesta bowl for cripes sake! He threw the usual wet blanket on us about backing our way in. That was annoying. My initial reaction was like screw you! You're supposed to give me the party line and tell me we will get back there! Alas, he's right. No any time soon. I suppose even though I didn't like it that at least he didn't give me rah rah baloney like someone else we know.

In the future, if you talk to him again.....START A NEW GD THREAD SO WE DON'T HAVE TO GO DUMPSTER DIVING TO FIND IT!

Beyond that, thanks - good stuff, even if it means we're stuck with cranberry pants for another year.

Reaction Score
Mike Leach got in so much trouble for making Craig James concussed son sit in a tool shed for 3 hours. Diaco's QB's play concussed every game & every play. Whitmer, Casey, BS have had massive brain damage and continued to play. They would have been in ecstasy for 3 hours in a shed.
Whitmer and Cochran never played for BD. And It's never been reported that BS played with a concussion. Messed up ribs yes, but he sat out after concussions.

ShakyTheMohel

Is it 11:11 yet?
Reaction Score
If he is going to keep Diaco, I guess the "we don't want to be the school who fires coaches quickly" is as good as any excuse. He would never say we know we have the wrong coach but we don't have the money to fix this.

If he does keep BD, I don't think it is because of what DB told Jarhead.

C

Chief00

I thought the same thing after PP.

I can't see how a person who wants to be a successful head coach worries about whether or not they will get canned after 3 losing seasons. That's not how successful people think.

Successful candidates don't ask about how much of a leash they will get if they fail three years in a row.

All their energy is on successful results.
Agree - is a year of additional Hell worth being able to say we fired Diaco after 4 years vs 3 years. Will that make us better perceived.

RedStickHusky

formerly SeoulHuskyFan
Reaction Score
Whitmer and Cochran never played for BD. And It's never been reported that BS played with a concussion. Messed up ribs yes, but he sat out after concussions.
yeah - that's an important clarification. gotta be careful with accusations about risking player safety.

Reaction Score
Ask him yourself. I'm telling you. He's very approachable. Besides what do I have to gain by making it up? I've been around here for a while, @BrassBonanza and I don't care for the insinuation that I'm lying. I support him so far. I appreciate him not blowing smoke.
Jim is as legit as they come on this board. No need to question his motives or veracity

Reaction Score
yeah - that's an important clarification. gotta be careful with accusations about risking player safety.
On another note, as an athlete, I know what athletes go through not wanting to sit out or miss time. Unless its really apparent (a player is knocked out cold) anyone on the outside has no idea if a concussion has happened. A lot of these "injuries or head injuries" need to be called by the players on themselves. My head has hit the hardwood on a basketball court more than a handful of times. Knocked me silly, but I bounced back up to continue. A competitive athlete not wanting to sit would never call a concussion on themselves if it meant missing time. Sure some responsibility lies on the coaching and medical staff, but a lot lies on the athlete for the more non obvious concussions.

For instance, how does Cochran sustain 12 concussions in his career and no one made a deal about it? 12 concussions. And it seems he was never out of harms way for more than a game. 4 years of HS and 3 years of college and he had 12 concussions. How many do you think his coaches even knew about?! To me, that's scary. Athletes are putting themselves in harms way and their brains in jeopardy. How can anyone else be held reliable unless they were certain something was wrong?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom