Big 12 votes to pursue expansion | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Big 12 votes to pursue expansion

Status
Not open for further replies.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Is Big 12 = or >then big 10. I seriously do not follow this at all
Big 10>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Big 12
Big 12>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> AAC

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
The whole 'possibility of conditional football members' screams BYU. It also tells that the Big XII brass see no feasible way of BYU being a full member...both, in my opinion, are positives for UConn. If the Big XII starts adding football only, it probably means that more than two schools are added. If they don't add a conditional, it appears to cross BYU off the list of candidates.
If football onlies included it will likely be BYU, CSU as the FBOs and Cinci and UConn as full. Improves football, improves basketball, improves academics, improves market.

Reaction Score
The Big East is NOT a natural fit. Those schools don't match UCONNs profile in any way. The ACC matches UCONN's profile, but that ship has sailed.
Scenerios by priority:
1. Big 12 for all sports
2. Big 12 for football and BE for all other sports
3. Big 12 for football and A1o for all other sports
4. Jump off a bridge

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Big 10>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Big 12
Big 12>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> AAC

The correct formula is:

Big12>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>AAC

Reaction Score
The leaders in the clubhouse for Big 12 expansion remain BYU, Cincinnati and Connecticut. The next tier includes South Florida, Central Florida, Memphis, Colorado State, Houston, Boise State and Tulane. If the league does add four schools, there’s really no standout candidate for that fourth slot. (Houston has the best program and television market of available schools, but there’s still some hesitancy within the state of Texas to allow the Cougars to use the Big 12 to potentially leap over current members). Schools like Temple, San Diego State and Northern Illinois don’t really have a chance, but will give it a shot anyway. “They’re going to open it up like an auction,” one Big 12 source said. “They don’t want it to be like they’re out there soliciting schools.”

Big 12 expansion looks to be a near certainty

Seems there are varying opinions on the candidates.

Reaction Score
14 may end up being my favorite number of this goes down the way I want.

Reaction Score
Just spoke to someone who is connected to the Big 12. He said BYU will be invited for sure. Also said Cincinnati is the second favorite. BUT he says they will expand 4 more teams. His prediction would be that UConn and Memphis will take the final two spots. Only thing he mentioned was that UConn football could be an issue.

Did you get the hot wax and undercarriage package?

ConnZag3

NCAA Hoops Connoisseur
Reaction Score
Can't wait to make those trips to Manhattan, KS, Stillwater, OK, and Ames, IA for conference games. Way better venues than Tulane and USF though.

Granted I'll take a home and home with Kansas every year. Allen Fieldhouse is just an amazing place to watch a game of basketball...

UConn Dan

Not HuskyFanDan; I lurk & I like
Reaction Score
My great uncle's cousin is married to the TCU AD
Ok. That's closer to the situation than I thought.

It would strike me as odd that TCU would support BYU though I'm sure they will acquiesce to the conference consensus. Also, TCU AD is buddies with our very own AD Dave Benedict so I hope that connection helps us.

Reaction Score
Ok. That's closer to the situation than I thought.

It would strike me as odd that TCU would support BYU though I'm sure they will acquiesce to the conference consensus. Also, TCU AD is buddies with our very own AD Dave Benedict so I hope that connection helps us.

He seems certain that if they expand by 4 that UConn will be in. If they only expand by 2, could be Cincy and BYU.

Reaction Score
Andy KatzESPN Senior Writer
katz_andy_m.jpg

If UConn found a home for football, the Big East would seriously consider the Huskies for all other sports, according to a source with knowledge. The Big East would be a natural fit. So far the 10-team Big East only has all sports members, but doesn't offer Division I (FBS) football. UConn is in all sports in the AAC. If given the choice, the Huskies would want to be in the Big 12 in all sports. But the chances that offer ever comes is still too hard to predict now.
This is so incredibly stupid. At least 75% of our value comes from what we would add as a basketball member. Why would the Big 12 take us in purely for our biggest negative?

Reaction Score
This is so incredibly stupid. At least 75% of our value comes from what we would add as a basketball member. Why would the Big 12 take us in purely for our biggest negative?

It's simple. The Big 12 wants to increase its chances to get invited to the College Football Playoff. By adding more teams, those odds are increased. And it doesn't matter who those teams are. All that matters is there's more teams.

Reaction Score

1. You can put your B12 network in the NYC/CT TV market.
2. You don't have to spend a ton of money traveling to CT for non-revenue-generating Olympic sports.

I agree it's dumb, but that's the premise.

Reaction Score
1. You can put your B12 network in the NYC/CT TV market.
2. You don't have to spend a ton of money traveling to CT for non-revenue-generating Olympic sports.
Combined with
It's simple. The Big 12 wants to increase its chances to get invited to the College Football Playoff. By adding more teams, those odds are increased. And it doesn't matter who those teams are. All that matters is there's more teams.
and yeah I guess I see it.

Reaction Score

Given the timing of the news this would appear to be more about the ACCN than anything related to the playoff, no?

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
The leaders in the clubhouse for Big 12 expansion remain BYU, Cincinnati and Connecticut. The next tier includes South Florida, Central Florida, Memphis, Colorado State, Houston, Boise State and Tulane. If the league does add four schools, there’s really no standout candidate for that fourth slot. (Houston has the best program and television market of available schools, but there’s still some hesitancy within the state of Texas to allow the Cougars to use the Big 12 to potentially leap over current members).

This is kind of odd. "We want good, competitive schools, but we don't want them to be better than the current members." So they want 'quality' bottom feeders?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom