Big 12 votes to pursue expansion | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Big 12 votes to pursue expansion

Status
Not open for further replies.

joober jones

Finally Non-Fat Guy
Reaction Score
There's not too much to worry about when it comes to being accepted in culturally different areas in the South. I've spent a lot of time in Texas and Oklahoma and the people by and large have been very accommodating, friendly, and easy to get along with.

Reaction Score
As a hard core CR guy
My advice is close this thread .There are 10 like it on the CR board
Go back to something less speculative like recruiting

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
m_nP8M.gif

intlzncster

Reaction Score
Is this really a good league for us from a geographic standpoint or is it sort of an anywhere but where we are situation?

We just need in. At this stage of the game, the PAC12 would be a massive win for us. It's either P5, or kiss big time sports goodbye in the long run.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
Agreed. My feeling is that we need to get out for financial reasons, but that I'll feel really awkward if I ever go to an away game at any of the schools. Maybe I'm just being prejudiced, but I can't imagine our fans fitting in too well with the rest of the conference. Would be bizarre. I'd feel much more comfortable at ACC schools. Maybe I'm wrong, but I just picture their stadiums to take on the appearance of massive Trump rallies on Saturdays.

That's college football country baby!

Reaction Score
Sounds like us and Cincinnati are the current favorites. BYU scares me though because of their football. If the Big 12 wants football schools it will go with Cincinnati and BYU. Cincinnati is golden. Good basketball and football. Still like our chances though. We have 13 national championships since 2003 and have a strong presence in the NYC market. I heard the Big 12 could vote as early as September on potential candidates.

uconnphil2016

Head Rat
Reaction Score
Sounds like us and Cincinnati are the current favorites. BYU scares me though because of their football. If the Big 12 wants football schools it will go with Cincinnati and BYU. Cincinnati is golden. Good basketball and football. Still like our chances though. We have 13 national championships since 2003 and have a strong presence in the NYC market. I heard the Big 12 could vote as early as September on potential candidates.

The whole 'possibility of conditional football members' screams BYU. It also tells that the Big XII brass see no feasible way of BYU being a full member...both, in my opinion, are positives for UConn. If the Big XII starts adding football only, it probably means that more than two schools are added. If they don't add a conditional, it appears to cross BYU off the list of candidates.

Reaction Score
Just spoke to someone who is connected to the Big 12. He said BYU will be invited for sure. Also said Cincinnati is the second favorite. BUT he says they will expand 4 more teams. His prediction would be that UConn and Memphis will take the final two spots. Only thing he mentioned was that UConn football could be an issue.

Reaction Score
Just spoke to someone who is connected to the Big 12. He said BYU will be invited for sure. Also said Cincinnati is the second favorite. BUT he says they will expand 4 more teams. His prediction would be that UConn and Memphis will take the final two spots. Only thing he mentioned was that UConn football could be an issue.
You talked to the dude of West Virginia or you just read his twitter?

Reaction Score
You talked to the dude of West Virginia or you just read his twitter?

Not even sure who you're talking about. What did he say? From what I heard, if the Big 12 expands to 12 it will be BYU and Cincy. If they go to 14, we are 90% in.

Reaction Score
Not even sure who you're talking about. What did he say? From what I heard, if the Big 12 expands to 12 it will be BYU and Cincy. If they go to 14, we are 90% in.
He's a guy on Twitter, who posted the same thing you did. I'm guessing the guy you spoke to just read the dude's twitter.

Reaction Score
He's a guy on Twitter, who posted the same thing you did. I'm guessing the guy you spoke to just read the dude's twitter.

Could be. Hopefully we get in because this could be our last chance at getting into a P5 for a while.

Reaction Score
Memphis fans think they are in due to Fed Ex influence and we aren't even in the top 5 or 6. They think Houston and SMU are also ahead of us along with Cinci, BYU and Memphis.

If everyone who thinks recruiting is so dependent on conference is right, it should be an easy sell for our AD to say that we would be good in football once we join a P5 conference. Right?

Reaction Score
We are being sold short by other schools because there is no way they can compete with us based on facts. They don't have the budget, athletic success, brand, academics or market to compete with us. The good schools have terrible athletics and the garbage schools have decent football at the moment, but no real history of success in anything.

Much easier to rule us out arbitrarily. Don't waste your time with that stuff.

UConn Dan

Not HuskyFanDan; I lurk & I like
Reaction Score
Connected how? Because....

Reaction Score
We definitely fit that criteria but so does every other school if you want them to.

Sure, if you squint really hard when you look at them. At least we aren't hearing that all that matters is how good your football team is RIGHT NOW.

How did CUSA teams leapfrog us so easily. There are teams that weren't even accepted into the Big East that are potentially getting in before us. What the hell happened?!?!?!?!?!?

Reaction Score
Andy KatzESPN Senior Writer
katz_andy_m.jpg

If UConn found a home for football, the Big East would seriously consider the Huskies for all other sports, according to a source with knowledge. The Big East would be a natural fit. So far the 10-team Big East only has all sports members, but doesn't offer Division I (FBS) football. UConn is in all sports in the AAC. If given the choice, the Huskies would want to be in the Big 12 in all sports. But the chances that offer ever comes is still too hard to predict now.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
If we don't get into the Big 12, I'm moving to Australia to save myself from having to witness the UConn athletic program gradually wither away into the abyss.

I lived there for 8 years. It doesn't help. The internet has killed 'hiding from reality' overseas. The weather is good though.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
How did CUSA teams leapfrog us so easily. There are teams that weren't even accepted into the Big East that are potentially getting in before us. What the hell happened?!?!?!?!?!?

Big East = Basketball.

and

Football >>>>>>>>>>>>> Basketball.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
Andy KatzESPN Senior Writer
katz_andy_m.jpg

If UConn found a home for football, the Big East would seriously consider the Huskies for all other sports, according to a source with knowledge. The Big East would be a natural fit. So far the 10-team Big East only has all sports members, but doesn't offer Division I (FBS) football. UConn is in all sports in the AAC. If given the choice, the Huskies would want to be in the Big 12 in all sports. But the chances that offer ever comes is still too hard to predict now.

The Big East is NOT a natural fit. Those schools don't match UCONNs profile in any way. The ACC matches UCONN's profile, but that ship has sailed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom