Anybody have new info on Megan Walker & when she will decide? | Page 19 | The Boneyard

Anybody have new info on Megan Walker & when she will decide?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
After reading the article, I'm not optimistic. She was polite and said the right things, but it didn't seem like UCONN grabbed her as the place to go. She seems like a great person and is obviously a tremendous player, so I hope I'm wrong.

That's an interesting take...nothing seemed to be firing off the page. So, I clicked on the Texas article and reread that and I'm thinking the format may lead to the "pro-forma" answers. Basically, she's answering the same questions from the writer, and a lot of the answeres are going to be the same (what will you study?) regardless of the school. Wouldn't be surprised if we see much the same kind of answers coming out of the ND trip, although I am interested in what kind of food she likes and what dorm they bring her to (the difference between some of the older and new ones are profound.)

BTW, regarding the choice of career, she's said: "I haven’t quite decided yet, but either kinesiology, criminology or sports management or I could build a major combining these fields because the fields are all people- and service-oriented, which ultimately gives back to the community." If she does not want to do that, the young person is already a wiz and public relations/communications!

Stay tuned....

Reaction Score
I dunno. I read MW's remarks and she twice had the opportunity to refer to Auriemma as Coach and instead referred to him as Geno. I'm sure that's how all the players refer to him behind his back, and so it may have been on the tip of her tongue, especially under the constant pressure of interviews and pictures. And I do want to emphasize that I'm mightily impressed with her social savvy and politeness otherwise. But, if this isn't a slip and instead is how she thinks of him, there may be trouble ahead--not just about her choice of universities but about her attitude wherever she lands. For now, I'm attributing it to a slip and waiting.
There have been a couple of red flags. But Geno is still recruiting her so, who knows. Of course, he recruited Diamond until the bitter end too and it is a good thing he lost her.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
I'm a little surprised by the ring thing. That's the sort of thing you could do before the first game. Too bad Mo, Tuck, and Stewie couldn't be there for the ring event.

Desperate times call for desperate measures. I mentioned before that this was the last/best opportunity Geno and staff had to woo and impress Walker. Malcolm X was once asked to what extent the Muslims would go to achieve their quest for racial equality. He answered "By any means necessary".

When you have your most sought after recruit on campus for her final visit, you leave no stone un-turned. Alls fair in love, war and recruitment. You pull out all of the stops, hope for the best, and pray that the basketball Gods smile down upon you.

I'm leaving the yard now. The more comments I read about posters not having a good feeling about Walker coming to Storrs, increases my stress level (I don't need that). Every time I log on to the yard, I expect to see that Walker has committed to UConn. I remain optimistic this will happen. :cool:

Last edited:

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
Yes. I have my PHD in Psychology, with a specialty in Behavioral Neuroscience. I performed, and published, brain research for 42 years.

Please check your PM box.

Reaction Score
I dunno. I read MW's remarks and she twice had the opportunity to refer to Auriemma as Coach and instead referred to him as Geno. I'm sure that's how all the players refer to him behind his back, and so it may have been on the tip of her tongue, especially under the constant pressure of interviews and pictures. And I do want to emphasize that I'm mightily impressed with her social savvy and politeness otherwise. But, if this isn't a slip and instead is how she thinks of him, there may be trouble ahead--not just about her choice of universities but about her attitude wherever she lands. For now, I'm attributing it to a slip and waiting.

Why would she call him coach? He's not her coach. Hopefully when the time is right, then she will address him accordingly.

Reaction Score
Why would she call him coach? He's not her coach. Hopefully when the time is right, then she will address him accordingly.
We call people Dr. who are not our own personal physician; every minister we call Reverend/ every priest Father/ even those not our own, etc. Players call every coach and not just their own, Coach, as a sign of respect for their position. That's simple respect until that person tells you that you can call him or her by their first name, and then privately but only very cautiously in public; otherwise it gets misconstrued as arrogance.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
You call people Dr. who are not your own personal physician; every minister Reverend/ priest Father/ even those not your own, etc. You call every coach, Coach, as a sign of respect for their position. Otherwise, to a 17 year old, it's Mr. Auriemma (awkward). That's simple respect until told you can call someone by their first name, and then very cautiously in public.

I understand where you are coming from, but I don't believe coach is as common or expected as the others. Maybe he introduced himself this way.....not hi....call me coach.

Reaction Score
I understand where you are coming from, but I don't believe coach is as common or expected as the others. Maybe he introduced himself this way.....not hi....call me coach.
Then she should have known better than to accept that invitation. I often (even at 69 years old) am introduced to someone by the first name, but immediately use their title, especially when referring to them in public. Dee to this very day sometimes says Geno but sometimes says Coach. She can't get the "young girl" in her out of her mind completely...and rightly.

Like I said originally, could be a simple slip under all the media pressure.

Reaction Score
Reading quotes..... If she's focusing on basketball first then it's a no brainer. She chooses Conneticut. If she's more into newer campus bigger and newer dorm rooms then she goes to Texas. If she feels the same way towards Notre Dame and what it offers other then basketball then she goes there. Kids no a days have different requirements ... They want to live in luxury they want to be pampered and so on. It's just my feeling so I truly believe uconn is not going to be the place she ends up. It's funny how coaches continue to make promises and use what ever sale pitch they can throw out at a prized recruit. GENO doesn't play that game he doesn't need to sell his program or bow down to any kid and it's ego. I'm sure Megan is a lovely young women but I just don't see her in a uconn uni. GENO did his part now it's up to where she wants to play her basketball career. Always thought before Texas got in the Mix it was all Notre Dame.. But I think Texas pulls out the upset and lands this prized recruit. Is she doesn't land at Texas it's Notre Dame!! Uconn will move on and focus on the next years class which is surpose to be loaded with talent and a lot of top 20 kids on uconn's radar. Husky land will be ok trust me on that!! The sky won't fall if we don't land her!!!

HGN

Reaction Score
Desperate times call for desperate measures. I mentioned before that this was the last/best opportunity Geno and staff had to woo and impress Walker. Malcolm X was once asked to what extent the Muslims would go to achieve their quest for racial equality. He answered "By any means necessary".

When you have your most sought after recruit on campus for her final visit, you leave no stone un-turned. Alls fair in love, war and recruitment. You pull out all of the stops, hope for the best, and pray that the basketball Gods smile down upon you.

I'm leaving the yard now. The more comments I read about posters not having a good feeling about Walker coming to Storrs, increases my stress level (I don't need that). Every time I log on to the yard, I expect to see that Walker has committed to UConn. I remain optimistic this will happen. :cool:
Carnac I am going along with you and your crystal ball..........I remain optimistic. I am content to sit and be patient and see what happens. If its UCONN I will love it. If its Texas or ND I will still wish her well.
All I ask you to do is rub that crystal ball a little harder and faster....:D

Wally East

Posting via the Speed Force
Reaction Score
Malcolm X was once asked to what extent the Muslims would go to achieve their quest for racial equality. He answered "By any means necessary".

Malcolm used this phrase in a speech at the founding of the Organization of Afro-American Unity, which was focused on African-American rights. This was after leaving the Nation of Islam -- he wanted to work for all African-Americans. From the wiki: "At the founding rally, Malcolm X stated that the organization's principal concern was the human rights of blacks, but that it would also focus on voter registration, school boycotts, rent strikes, housing rehabilitation, and social programs for addicts, unwed mothers, and troubled children. Malcolm X saw the OAAU as a way of "un-brainwashing" black people, ridding them of the lies they had been told about themselves and their culture."

The phrase even has its own entry in Wikipedia :)

That aside, I don't have a good feeling about Megan Walker. [ill-informed speculation deleted before even being posted :) ]

Reaction Score
Geno has said that kids that want to be at UConn generally know pretty quickly, and those that drag the recruitment out usually don't end up at UConn. Not sure how accurate that is from a quantitative perspective, but Geno has noted it a few times, and he would know even if anecdotally.

Wally East

Posting via the Speed Force
Reaction Score
Kids no a days have different requirements ... They want to live in luxury they want to be pampered and so on

I mean, kids now, they're not like kids were when you were in high school or college, right? Every kid in the late 60s was totally dialed in to school work and not, oh, I don't know, whatever was going on in the culture at that point. What WAS going on in the culture at that point?

:rolleyes:

Last edited:

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score

There have been a couple of red flags. But Geno is still recruiting her so, who knows. Of course, he recruited Diamond until the bitter end too and it is a good thing he lost her.

I’m afraid this is us making too much out of nothing. No red flag! Megan has been recruited by UCONN for 4 years now and there are several article where she is quoted talking about Geno or the other coaches recruiting her-Never referring to any of the coaches by just first name. Chalk this up to series of poorly written Q & A. The dead giveaway is how closely the answer matches the stated format of the question in both the Texas & UCONN articles . Almost as if a robot were answering the question. Her nickname might be Megatron but come on???

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Reading quotes..... If she's focusing on basketball first then it's a no brainer. She chooses Conneticut.
I'm not sure which quotes you are referring to but sometimes a person's actions speak more accurately than words. Megan's action included traveling to UCONN (on her own Dime) TWICE. Those actions tell you that she gave UCONN adequate consideration in making this decision-which by definition is much more than about basketball. Applaud her for the consideration she has given UCONN thus far.

Reaction Score
My Q is why Geno will stop in Megan's house 9/12/2016, since he knew Megan will visit UConn 9/17/2016 ?

Meg W. ‏@iball_crzy Sep 12Virginia, USA
visit with the huskies

CsMk2PbWYAASrUA.jpg:large

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
My Q is why Geno will stop in Megan's house 9/12/2016, since he knew Megan will visit UConn 9/17/2016 ?

Meg W. ‏@iball_crzy Sep 12Virginia, USA
visit with the huskies
0) Why not?
1) Geno was already in the South-In Arkansas visiting C. Williams
2) Megan had just gotten back from Texas & everyone knows it is best to wash Orange stank off a recruit as soon as possible.
3) Because he Could?
4) It's not like a recruit has ever cancelled an official visit right?
5) The Walker's were having Geno favorite meal that night and someone has to bring the wine.

Reaction Score
Personally I've said all I can say, thought all I can think regarding the future destination of the basket player in question........I am entering the cone of silence on this issue until some startling information wakes me from my self induced sleep..............I wish you all a fond good night!!!!

PS:I'm still awake on all other issues large and small

Reaction Score
Personally I've said all I can say, thought all I can think regarding the future destination of the basket player in question...I am entering the cone of silence on this issue until some startling information wakes me from my self induced sleep....I wish you all a fond good night!!!!

PS:I'm still awake on all other issues large and small
Agree. Wish the best, and prepare for the worst ......

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
I have figured out MW's subtext of her interview after the visit and it is expressed in a song, as luck would have it! ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom