Anybody have new info on Megan Walker & when she will decide? | Page 18 | The Boneyard

Anybody have new info on Megan Walker & when she will decide?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
After reading the article, I'm not optimistic. She was polite and said the right things, but it didn't seem like UCONN grabbed her as the place to go. She seems like a great person and is obviously a tremendous player, so I hope I'm wrong.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
I wasn't limiting my discussion to concussions. By the way, youth soccer now bans heading beginning this year.
A knee jerk reaction to the lawsuit. And it won't do a whole lot to limit concussions, unfortunately. Most concussions that happen in soccer are due to head to head contact or head to ground contact, OR ball to head contact (getting hit in the head, not trying to head the ball). None of which will be affected by the change.

On the other hand, most kids at the age of the ban, U11/U12 and below, don't head the ball much anyway. So the change doesn't have a great effect on the game except at the more advanced levels....where the kids are more proficient at properly heading anyway.

Basically a feel good solution. Lawyers. :rolleyes:

In all the youth games I've watched/coached/reffed (probably 1000+), I've seen 1 possible concussion from actually heading the ball. Plenty of others from banging head, hitting the ground and getting hit in the head with the ball.

Most current NFHS (National Federation of High Schools) concussion rates (per 100,000 athletic exposures)
  1. Football 87
  2. Boys Ice Hockey 68
  3. Girls Soccer 58
  4. Boys Lacrosse 48
  5. Boys Wrestling 40
  6. Girls Lacrosse 37
  7. Girls Basketball 37
  8. Boys Soccer 29
  9. Girls Field Hockey 27
  10. Girls Softball 20
  11. Boys Basketball 20

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
After reading Megan Walker's responses to questions about Texas and UConn I think I could almost write the script for hr upcoming Q&A after her ND visit. She is remarkably both tactful and articulate for a rising HS senior.

After the hibachi restaurant near UConn ("my favorite") and the breakfast taco at Texas ("now my favorite") I know she will revel in the splendors of the Terre Haute community.

Nobody can match the not-so-subtle message of Geno presenting championship rings as Megan, Andi, Mikayla, Lexi, Kayla, and Molly watched -- and presumably fantasized.

I like our chances. :)

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Best parts of the interview piece for me: I bonded a while ago and I kept up in pick up. She's got to be so glad when this process is over. So much time and so much talk.

Reaction Score
After reading Megan Walker's responses to questions about Texas and UConn I think I could almost write the script for hr upcoming Q&A after her ND visit. She is remarkably both tactful and articulate for a rising HS senior.

After the hibachi restaurant near UConn ("my favorite") and the breakfast taco at Texas ("now my favorite") I know she will revel in the splendors of the Terre Haute community.

Nobody can match the not-so-subtle message of Geno presenting championship rings as Megan, Andi, Mikayla, Lexi, Kayla, and Molly watched -- and presumably fantasized.

I'm a little surprised by the ring thing. That's the sort of thing you could do before the first game. Too bad Mo, Tuck, and Stewie couldn't be there for the ring event.

Ozzie Nelson

RIP, Ozzie
Reaction Score
I know PARENT should make decisions---but way too many make decisions for bad reasons--least of which is to protect their kid--
The kid wants to badly (too young to understand what their head will be like at 50). The parents like the ego it give them having a kid play for "their" team--(never thinking of the long term effect of concussions, even mild one--the truth hasn't been told or actually known.
Ask yourselves where are all the Alzheimers of athletes whose heads have been pounded --come from? If you don't know--don't take the chance. You are YOUR BRAIN---no brain--no you.. Is giving in to your kid or your ego worth it to have a demented adult.

Tough to be a parent, walking the line between encouraging resilience, risk, and fear, in life and sport. We are a very athletic family, with swimming, gymnastics. baseball, hockey and soccer well represented among my four 8 yr old or younger grandkids. My sons and their wives spent/spend their lives competing in many sports. They still do(especially running). As a family we talk about the best choices to encourage. No matter what we decide, it is clear someone will tell us we are endangering ourselves and our children. Someone will tell us we are ego driven. Someone will tell us we are making bad decisions for bad reasons. And…some will enjoy the ride with us.

WE signed up to have a family, we embrace the responsibility of our choice, and we continue to listen, discuss and think. Not much else you can do.

Reaction Score
Tough to be a parent, walking the line between encouraging resilience, risk, and fear, in life and sport. We are a very athletic family, with swimming, gymnastics. baseball, hockey and soccer well represented among my four 8 yr old or younger grandkids. My sons and their wives spent/spend their lives competing in many sports. They still do(especially running). As a family we talk about the best choices to encourage. No matter what we decide, it is clear someone will tell us we are endangering ourselves and our children. Someone will tell us we are ego driven. Someone will tell us we are making bad decisions for bad reasons. And…some will enjoy the ride with us.

WE signed up to have a family, we embrace the responsibility of our choice, and we continue to listen, discuss and think. Not much else you can do.

I have raised more kids than an orphanage--I know that nothing a Parent ever does is RIGHT--and Running isn't football or Soccer--
The world is full of second guessers--I'm for returning the control of kid to parents from the state (1957 law). Everyone is looking over your shoulder and (usually those who never raised a kid) will tell you how wrong you are. What classes or studying have you done on the damage head impact sports have done --or the long term effects--probably none because those are few if any. So common sense must prevail. I love it when people say " I take responsibility" exactly what does that mean--after the fact you say--MY BAD???
You MAY be a responsible parent/grand parent --that's great--so you don't let those young people get their brains knocked around --the damage of that shows up after 50, you know that, as a Granny you must have seen the effects of un known concussions or mild concussions or just the ball hitting the head (never saw the damage did you?) The Point is you can't protect against what you don't see or won't admit.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
I wonder how big Walker's personality is. Austin is certainly a place where you can "live large" if that is your personality. UConn and ND are more similar to Baylor in the sense that the towns are more low key than Austin.

Maybe it will all come down to whether she prefers to wear summer or winter clothes.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
I'm a little surprised by the ring thing. That's the sort of thing you could do before the first game. Too bad Mo, Tuck, and Stewie couldn't be there for the ring event.
Morgan may have been because she was in at least one picture on football field with NC trophy. Also don't forget Megan was a special guess at the Team's Championship banquet at the end of the season.

Ozzie Nelson

RIP, Ozzie
Reaction Score
I have raised more kids than an orphanage--I know that nothing a Parent ever does is RIGHT--and Running isn't football or Soccer--
The world is full of second guessers--I'm for returning the control of kid to parents from the state (1957 law). Everyone is looking over your shoulder and (usually those who never raised a kid) will tell you how wrong you are. What classes or studying have you done on the damage head impact sports have done --or the long term effects--probably none because those are few if any. So common sense must prevail. I love it when people say " I take responsibility" exactly what does that mean--after the fact you say--MY BAD???
You MAY be a responsible parent/grand parent --that's great--so you don't let those young people get their brains knocked around --the damage of that shows up after 50, you know that, as a Granny you must have seen the effects of un known concussions or mild concussions or just the ball hitting the head (never saw the damage did you?) The Point is you can't protect against what you don't see or won't admit.

I have no idea what your post means or implies. IAC, many here have met me and know I am a Grampa. In addition, I have no advice for you or anyone. If there is a last word, it is all yours.

HGN

Reaction Score
After reading the article, I'm not optimistic. She was polite and said the right things, but it didn't seem like UCONN grabbed her as the place to go. She seems like a great person and is obviously a tremendous player, so I hope I'm wrong.
I do too.:confused:

HGN

Reaction Score
I liked the note about receiving NC rings. That was a point made that you come to UCONN for championships. ANYPLACE else and you are just fooling yourself.
Distributing NC rings is certainly something that none of the other 2 contenders for MW commitment can do...........I am sure it had to be somewhat inspiring.
This Official visit probably was somewhat subdued due to the fact that she has visited Storrs a couple of times before. But it was good that the other 3 commits were also there to lend their encouragement.
She has ND coming up this weekend and I am sure they are going to roll out the red carpet as well........Let's just hope that UCONN's was redder and is more plush.

Reaction Score
"She has ND coming up this weekend and I am sure they are going to roll out the red carpet as well...Let's just hope that UCONN's was redder and is more plush."

Let's hope ND makes a very big tactical error and rolls out the "green carpet" instead. :)

HGN

Reaction Score
"She has ND coming up this weekend and I am sure they are going to roll out the red carpet as well...Let's just hope that UCONN's was redder and is more plush."

Let's hope ND makes a very big tactical error and rolls out the "green carpet" instead. :)
Hmm.......Good thought.

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score

If she ends up in Terre Haute, ND had better fire their travel coordinator!

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Best parts of the interview piece for me: I bonded a while ago and I kept up in pick up. She's got to be so glad when this process is over. So much time and so much talk.
RTD: Outside of athletics, what was your favorite part about the school?

MW: My favorite part outside of athletics was the campus. It’s in its own little town.

It wasn't long ago that area around the school was a draw back rather than a plus.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Distributing NC rings is certainly something that none of the other 2 contenders for MW commitment can do......I am sure it had to be somewhat inspiring.
This Official visit probably was somewhat subdued due to the fact that she has visited Storrs a couple of times before. But it was good that the other 3 commits were also there to lend their encouragement.
She has ND coming up this weekend and I am sure they are going to roll out the red carpet as well...Let's just hope that UCONN's was redder and is more plush.
Maybe they'll show that "We came in second" video they made a couple years ago. ;)

Reaction Score
Does anyone know which toe Geno is using for his 11th ring, or do we have to wait for a new commercial to find out? Thanks in advance.

Reaction Score
I dunno. I read MW's remarks and she twice had the opportunity to refer to Auriemma as Coach and instead referred to him as Geno. I'm sure that's how all the players refer to him behind his back, and so it may have been on the tip of her tongue, especially under the constant pressure of interviews and pictures. And I do want to emphasize that I'm mightily impressed with her social savvy and politeness otherwise. But, if this isn't a slip and instead is how she thinks of him, there may be trouble ahead--not just about her choice of universities but about her attitude wherever she lands. For now, I'm attributing it to a slip and waiting.

Reaction Score
I have no idea what your post means or implies. IAC, many here have met me and know I am a Grampa. In addition, I have no advice for you or anyone. If there is a last word, it is all yours.
IN all that the point was---playing sports is great--get the best information you can (which isn't up to date and will only evolve with time)
about using the head as an instrument in sport. The pro's are only now finding out that an inordinate number of players have developed some mental condition and most probably from head banging--. If my grand kids want to play soccer or foot ball I'd discourage--when he/she is 50 I want them to have active brains. Obviously, you will do what you will do---
I apologize if my zest for what I've seen that has resulted as brain injuries. As a Grampa you have seen enough to know the medical community knows little until time passes after long time study. I prefer to be safe than sorry. Enjoy your kids while you still can--
One question---have you seen any sports person that as an old adult --lost himself because his brain no longer functioned?? Check NFL, and boxing sites for Brain trauma if you haven't.

Ozzie Nelson

RIP, Ozzie
Reaction Score
IN all that the point was---playing sports is great--get the best information you can (which isn't up to date and will only evolve with time)
about using the head as an instrument in sport. The pro's are only now finding out that an inordinate number of players have developed some mental condition and most probably from head banging--. If my grand kids want to play soccer or foot ball I'd discourage--when he/she is 50 I want them to have active brains. Obviously, you will do what you will do---
I apologize if my zest for what I've seen that has resulted as brain injuries. As a Grampa you have seen enough to know the medical community knows little until time passes after long time study. I prefer to be safe than sorry. Enjoy your kids while you still can--
One question---have you seen any sports person that as an old adult --lost himself because his brain no longer functioned?? Check NFL, and boxing sites for Brain trauma if you haven't.

Yes. I have my PHD in Psychology, with a specialty in Behavioral Neuroscience. I performed, and published, brain research for 42 years.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom