Anybody have new info on Megan Walker & when she will decide? | Page 17 | The Boneyard

Anybody have new info on Megan Walker & when she will decide?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
NCAA football is deeply corrupt; NFL is vulgar and corrupt. And yet, we watch..... (though, speaking personally, less and less all the time). A friend with a perspective predicted that a future generation will look at football the way we today look at boxing. Fingers crossed!
Your friends perspective is interesting. What killed boxing was the dilution of talent and later, the rise of football and basketball. Today the upswing of MMA is the final straw. I'll ask your friend, no matter how much some may attempt to legislate the violence out of football what other sports would take its place? There are good reasons why it has become America's sport. There are also very good reasons why it feeds our clearly important betting industry. So far the number of players aren't decreasing at the pee-wee level. Things such as safer helmets and pads are already being tested in competition. One of the real issues not being addressed in football is the same issue being voiced in college basketball, and that is the poor coaching at the lower levels. The difference of course is pro coaches are complaining about college coaching, not high school coaches. It's not the dilution of talent, but the dilution of skills that is becoming the issue. But if the protracted demise of baseball has taught us anything is that the popularity of American sports has become player driven, not organization or coach driven. Realize that fact or become irrelevant as a sport.

I'll agree that the pro game, football and basketball is vulgar and corrupt. BUT THAT'S WHAT FANS WANT. It's what fans revel in, along with its violence. The entire concept of bad is good propels modern sports. I'm admittedly a pro football fan and I would argue that the modern concept of using the NCAA as a farm system across sports is vulgar and corrupt at its core.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Lexi using her charms trying to lure in the big fish.
Exactly! Lexi is the ringleader. She's trying her best to lure Megan. In that pic on the sofa, Megan's body language makes her look less engaged, but who knows?!

How many of the 3 schools Megan is visiting have a former national HS POY, HOF coach, and players who have actually won an NCAA championship?

vtcwbuff

Civil War Buff
Reaction Score
NCAA football is deeply corrupt; NFL is vulgar and corrupt. And yet, we watch..... (though, speaking personally, less and less all the time). A friend with a perspective predicted that a future generation will look at football the way we today look at boxing. Fingers crossed!

The alphabet killed boxing. WBA, WBC. IBF, WBO and so on. A champ in every corner. Add to that the absence of the true boxing legends like Ali, Frazier, Foreman and Leonard.

Now instead of the "sweet science" of boxing we are treated to the brutality of a MMA street fight.

JordyG

Reaction Score
The alphabet killed boxing. WBA, WBC. IBF, WBO and so on. A champ in every corner. Add to that the absence of the true boxing legends like Ali, Frazier, Foreman and Leonard.

Now instead of the "sweet science" of boxing we are treated to the brutality of a MMA street fight.
As I said, the dilution of talent and the subsequent lack of skills displayed by fighters. Nevertheless even with that dilution boxing would have survived if not for the basis of your point, a champ in every corner. Yet I strongly disagree with your distilling MMA into nothing but a "street fight". The level and number of skills necessary to become a good MMA fighter is prodigious. I think perhaps you should give a more discerning look at what is an extremely technical sport.

Reaction Score
Your friends perspective is interesting. What killed boxing was the dilution of talent and later, the rise of football and basketball. Today the upswing of MMA is the final straw. I'll ask your friend, no matter how much some may attempt to legislate the violence out of football what other sports would take its place? There are good reasons why it has become America's sport. There are also very good reasons why it feeds our clearly important betting industry. So far the number of players aren't decreasing at the pee-wee level. Things such as safer helmets and pads are already being tested in competition. One of the real issues not being addressed in football is the same issue being voiced in college basketball, and that is the poor coaching at the lower levels. The difference of course is pro coaches are complaining about college coaching, not high school coaches. It's not the dilution of talent, but the dilution of skills that is becoming the issue. But if the protracted demise of baseball has taught us anything is that the popularity of American sports has become player driven, not organization or coach driven. Realize that fact or become irrelevant as a sport.

I'll agree that the pro game, football and basketball is vulgar and corrupt. BUT THAT'S WHAT FANS WANT. It's what fans revel in, along with its violence. The entire concept of bad is good propels modern sports. I'm admittedly a pro football fan and I would argue that the modern concept of using the NCAA as a farm system across sports is vulgar and corrupt at its core.

I need to disagree with one of your points. pee wee football is in big trouble, [as is little league baseball except for different reasons]. I'm amazed at the number of parents I talk to ,[ even where the dads played college football] who do not want their sons to play football. Here in my town, lacrosse is growing quickly as the alternative, The soccer program has roughly 1500 kids and 8 dedicated fields for youth soccer vs. a small pee wee team that recruits from other towns to fill a roster.
By the way, don't shoot the messenger. I have had UCONN season tickets for 10 years and am a NFL fan. Either football will have some significant changes,or different equipment or it will not survive 20 years from now. Even as an NFL fan, I am getting tired of the constant parade of injuries. Football was never meant to be played by 250-300 pound guys with the speed and strength that they have today. I don't really like or understand rugby, but they play without most of the equipment that football players have and seem to have far fewer serious injuries. Maybe the answer lies somewhere between better equipment or less equipment.

JordyG

Reaction Score
I need to disagree with one of your points. pee wee football is in big trouble, [as is little league baseball except for different reasons]. I'm amazed at the number of parents I talk to ,[ even where the dads played college football] who do not want their sons to play football. Here in my town, lacrosse is growing quickly as the alternative, The soccer program has roughly 1500 kids and 8 dedicated fields for youth soccer vs. a small pee wee team that recruits from other towns to fill a roster.
By the way, don't shoot the messenger. I have had UCONN season tickets for 10 years and am a NFL fan. Either football will have some significant changes,or different equipment or it will not survive 20 years from now. Even as an NFL fan, I am getting tired of the constant parade of injuries. Football was never meant to be played by 250-300 pound guys with the speed and strength that they have today. I don't really like or understand rugby, but they play without most of the equipment that football players have and seem to have far fewer serious injuries. Maybe the answer lies somewhere between better equipment or less equipment.
The truth is rugby has an equal amount or more concussions than pro football. For years injuries in rugby were under reported, but players are now owning up to injuries. Less equipment is not the answer. As for your town's negative football reactions, I think parents may reconsider when the true amount of concussions in soccer are reported, which in some studies are higher than football.

Reaction Score
The truth is rugby has an equal amount or more concussions than pro football. For years injuries in rugby were under reported, but players are now owning up to injuries. Less equipment is not the answer. As for your town's negative football reactions, I think parents may reconsider when the true amount of concussions in soccer are reported, which in some studies are higher than football.

I wasn't limiting my discussion to concussions. By the way, youth soccer now bans heading beginning this year.
I'm talking about a Giants game stopped for a player not moving, a Minneapolis game stopped to help a star running back off the field. Would be interesting to know how many season ending injuries there are in a given NFL week.

Reaction Score
\
I'm not a Pro anything except baseball. I stopped watching College football when they took the Student out of Student Athlete--Men's BB is about to lose me too---they just keep HIRING bigger, stronger, wider, and it is football with a round ball. Incidental contact is : When the concussion allows them to still see. The case has been made for colleges to sell their logos to Pro teams--then (if you are not brilliant) you can root for your Allens Mudder.

Reaction Score
I wasn't limiting my discussion to concussions. By the way, youth soccer now bans heading beginning this year.
I'm talking about a Giants game stopped for a player not moving, a Minneapolis game stopped to help a star running back off the field. Would be interesting to know how many season ending injuries there are in a given NFL week.
\
If "club Soccer" were 18 month earlier I could have given them an excellent case to review (alive)---an almost perfect specimen of a man was reduced to a person lost in a body in a world they never knew--he played "club" soccer for 30 something years -no one knew anything about brain damage from "headding" the ball A lob from 40 ft away from 20 ft up---surely rattled the brain in the ocean of fluid.--
I would talk long and hard to anyone whose kid or grandkid was going to enter soccer or football. You can fix a broken arm, nose, leg--but you only have one BRAIN--most people don't think about this--but YOU are YOUR BRAIN--no brain--no you.

JordyG

Reaction Score
Yet need we too ban boxing or horse racing where career ending injuries to jockeys at the lower levels are enormous? The logic behind eliminating football or soccer or horse racing or wrestling as sports options is, once again, society/government wishing to protect people from themselves. We who do not play know better. If the sports jackboots succeed here we will find ourselves living Martin Niemoller's nightmare in a reductionist society. Ultimately let people and fans decide for themselves in a free market society. These athletes know the risks for the enjoyment (and money) for playing the game they love. Honestly, not many options in society for a 6'8" 370 lbs man.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
\
If "club Soccer" were 18 month earlier I could have given them an excellent case to review (alive)---an almost perfect specimen of a man was reduced to a person lost in a body in a world they never knew--he played "club" soccer for 30 something years -no one knew anything about brain damage from "headding" the ball A lob from 40 ft away from 20 ft up---surely rattled the brain in the ocean of fluid.--
I would talk long and hard to anyone whose kid or grandkid was going to enter soccer or football. You can fix a broken arm, nose, leg--but you only have one BRAIN--most people don't think about this--but YOU are YOUR BRAIN--no brain--no you.
Anyone with an interest in this (like having kids approaching football age) should read League of Denial by Mark Fainaru-Wada (wrote Game of Shadows which exposed Barry Bonds, Marion Jones, etc in the Balco PED scandal) and Steve Fainaru. This is the book the recent Will Smith movie Concussion was based on (there was a book called Concussion, but IT was based on League of Denial too).

I am a football fan and agree that participation should be left up to the individual (or parent), but those individuals and parents should educate themselves. The NFL isn't going to do it for you - they've been spending big time for years, attempting to suppress and distort the evidence.

Reaction Score
Anyone with an interest in this (like having kids approaching football age) should read League of Denial by Mark Fainaru-Wada (wrote Game of Shadows which exposed Barry Bonds, Marion Jones, etc in the Balco PED scandal) and Steve Fainaru. This is the book the recent Will Smith movie Concussion was based on (there was a book called Concussion, but IT was based on League of Denial too).

I am a football fan and agree that participation should be left up to the individual (or parent), but those individuals and parents should educate themselves. The NFL isn't going to do it for you - they've been spending big time for years, attempting to suppress and distort the evidence.
I know PARENT should make decisions---but way too many make decisions for bad reasons--least of which is to protect their kid--
The kid wants to badly (too young to understand what their head will be like at 50). The parents like the ego it give them having a kid play for "their" team--(never thinking of the long term effect of concussions, even mild one--the truth hasn't been told or actually known.
Ask yourselves where are all the Alzheimers of athletes whose heads have been pounded --come from? If you don't know--don't take the chance. You are YOUR BRAIN---no brain--no you.. Is giving in to your kid or your ego worth it to have a demented adult.

Reaction Score
Would love to engage in the conversation about boxing, football etc, but what does that have to do with the recruitment of Megan Walker?

What................are you saying Ms Walker wouldn't want to be intellectually challenged? I'm confident that were she to visit her very own thread she would no doubt be transfixed by the wide ranging cacophony of intellectual ruminations available here.........................................but I know what you mean...................

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
Exactly! Lexi is the ringleader. She's trying her best to lure Megan. In that pic on the sofa, Megan's body language makes her look less engaged, but who knows?!
thats what I saw... but I learned long ago, never judge a book by its cover

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
Would love to engage in the conversation about boxing, football etc, but what does that have to do with the recruitment of Megan Walker?
it help with the views count of this thread, thanks for participating
635914012391207778-trophy.jpg

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
Miss Walker answers questions about her weekend with UConn:

On recruiting trail with Megan Walker: UConn
very detailed article thanks for posting, I like this question and answer the best... it says a whole lot

QUESTION: What do you like about Auriemma’s coaching style, and how do you think that will benefit you as a player?

ANSWER: Geno’s coaching style is to make players better. I always want to excel in my game. With his training, I feel I could learn and take my skills to the next level.

Reaction Score
I liked the note about receiving NC rings. That was a point made that you come to UCONN for championships. ANYPLACE else and you are just fooling yourself.
Well we are competing with Bevo and Touchdown Jesus for this recruit. Could be tough.

Reaction Score
Her choice seems very clear..........if it is strictly a basketball decision I would think UConn wins hands down.....if it is about the total college experience then all of the schools have much to offer...........from a non-basketball perspective I would admit that UConn has the least cachet of the three if that matters to her.........

Reactions: HGN
Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99