Anybody have new info on Megan Walker & when she will decide? | Page 21 | The Boneyard

Anybody have new info on Megan Walker & when she will decide?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Stop dismissing. ND and Texas might be football school but each has actually won a WCBB National Championship.

You are, of course...correct. But, as a longtime (old) student of the game, I always demonstrate an unfortunate bias for the game as "art." You can win the NCAA with the 5 best players, but that's not fun. You should win. The right mix of student-athletes of character and court generosity is simply better for basketball than a random mix of me-first all-star players. Chemistry trumps (bad choice of verb) pure ratings and stats. This young woman should play in a system, as the lead cog in a well-oiled machine; like Maya did and like Sammy will. She'll be a great player anywhere; at UConn she can be much more. My favorite championships were the upsets. I think the next few years will pit physical teams like USC and Baylor against more cerebral teams like UConn (and, yuk, ND) But UConn might be able to play physically...and... like the old Princeton (men's) teams. That would be fun.

Reaction Score
Because he really, really, really wants her.

I agree that the recruits who wait so long often decide to go elsewhere, but each kid is different. Geography doesn't hurt UConn in this case. I'm cautiously optimistic.

Indiana has become more and more conservative and inflexible.

Reaction Score
You are, of course...correct. But, as a longtime (old) student of the game, I always demonstrate an unfortunate bias for the game as "art." You can win the NCAA with the 5 best players, but that's not fun. You should win. The right mix of student-athletes of character and court generosity is simply better for basketball than a random mix of me-first all-star players. Chemistry trumps (bad choice of verb) pure ratings and stats. This young woman should play in a system, as the lead cog in a well-oiled machine; like Maya did and like Sammy will. She'll be a great player anywhere; at UConn she can be much more. My favorite championships were the upsets. I think the next few years will pit physical teams like USC and Baylor against more cerebral teams like UConn (and, yuk, ND) But UConn might be able to play physically...and... like the old Princeton (men's) teams. That would be fun.

I thought 2002 was lots of fun.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
If Megan is looking at kinesiology, UConn is a very good fit. She likes the campus, the area, and the food. Those are all positives. She even met President Herbst. That's impressive!

I like this quote: "Geno is real confident and he knows what it takes to win championships, he has won 11. ... He is also easygoing and really funny." She may not have seen his tough side yet.

Jekyll & Hyde. Geno doesn't reveal the "other" side of his personality until official practice begins, and even then, it's behind closed doors. The incoming freshmen are all briefed and fore warned by the upper class men of things to come. No surprises here. They're ready for "Camp Geno" on day 1. :D

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
I agree in all aspects. If you are talking Princeton under Pete Carril I agree-that was some beautiful basketball and it was "near" upset of Georgetown in '89. That "Yuk ND" is always implied regardless of the subject.

Who is Sammy? I am guessing you mean Samantha Brunelle. If so and you know her like than please put in a good word for UCONN.

Wally East

Posting via the Speed Force
Reaction Score
You are, of course...correct. But, as a longtime (old) student of the game, I always demonstrate an unfortunate bias for the game as "art." You can win the NCAA with the 5 best players, but that's not fun. You should win. The right mix of student-athletes of character and court generosity is simply better for basketball than a random mix of me-first all-star players.

You say this as if having the best five players can't also have the right mix of chemistry. Actually, I'm curious about which women's title-winning teams you believe fit the "random mix of me-first all-star players."

I thought 2002 was lots of fun.

And 2009.

And 2010.

And 2016.

And a few other overdog years, too. :)

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
I think she had a private tour this past weekend... not sure who made the call to arrange it :rolleyes:
Shades of Maya.

Unlike many posters I think I've a different feeling about the entire recruiting process of Ms. Walker. She's a fine talent and indeed may become the #1 AA at the 2 or 3 in WCBB. Her game is a nice combination of silk and excitement, of team and take over, that would play well in any program. And yes, I'm a greedy little piglet that wants them ALL to play at Storrs. But if she chooses to go elsewhere, hey, I'll still root for her to have a great career. As I still root for all the others (re: Ms. Delle Donne) that passed on a career with Geno and The Husky's. The UConn is still going to win championships without her. I believe if she chooses to go to Texas or ND she'll will be crushed while losing to The UConn in the E8 or the finals as so many others (do you hear that Ms, Durr, Ms. Cox , Ms. Wilson and all those many others from years past?).

Now, will she ever regret choosing elsewhere? Perhaps. But frankly, that's relevant only to her, her family, and the team that lobbied so hard to have her attend. It would be irrelevant to the rest of the basketball world and certainly irrelevant in the land of Storrs as The UConn competes for another championship. As long as Geno is in Storrs The UConn will continue to be the most relevant team in WCBB. Geno will continue to produce the most game ready, hardest working players in all of BB and the most professional ready players in all of BB. Oh yeah, and his teams will still play the prettiest ball in all of BB.

So if she signs on to this, great. It'll be all sunshine, roses and rainbows. If not, it'll still be The UConn. I'll take that.

Reaction Score
If Megatron decides to go elsewhere consider this: Andra and Lexi from her class will be very good and the number two player in the 2018 is probably more likely to come to Uconn.Megan is a 2/3 as is Christyn Williams,Andra and Lexi.I think that between these players and others that the off guard and small forward positions will be very well represented no matter how the Megatron sweepstakes play out.I expect Uconn to recruit several other superstars in the next couple of years and have another long undefeated streak over a several year period.So my opinion is that Uconn will either get Megan or a similar talent in her place in 2018,and if the basketball gods are really,really,really smiling toward Storrs then both Christyn and Megan end up petting Jonathan.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
If Megatron decides to go elsewhere consider this: Andra and Lexi from her class will be very good and the number two player in the 2018 is probably more likely to come to Uconn.Megan is a 2/3 as is Christyn Williams,Andra and Lexi.I think that between these players and others that the off guard and small forward positions will be very well represented no matter how the Megatron sweepstakes play out.I expect Uconn to recruit several other superstars in the next couple of years and have another long undefeated streak over a several year period.So my opinion is that Uconn will either get Megan or a similar talent in her place in 2018,and if the basketball gods are really,really,really smiling toward Storrs then both Christyn and Megan end up petting Jonathan.

Yup, perfectly captured what I have been thinking for a long time now. Yeah, they got it right about Stewie and a few UConners before her, but have you noticed how many non-Uconners they had it wrong about? Hmmm? Strange. Is there a common denominator/variable. Seriously now: If you look at the MNBA you see a lot of stand outs who never hit the charts in HS and a lot of the Top 100 frankly disappeared in college. Some peak early. Some never get over themselves. No one is bigger than the game.

southie

Longhorn Lover
Reaction Score
So, hypothetically, if Megan were to sign with UConn, what would your 2017-18 starting line-up look like?

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
So, hypothetically, if Megan were to sign with UConn, what would your 2017-18 starting line-up look like?

MW would play all 5 positions. Now, what would Texas do?

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score

My guess is Walker wouldn't start her freshmen year barring injuries. Dangerfield, Nurse, KLS, and Stevens would seem to be locks with Collier or Williams probably getting the other spot.

southie

Longhorn Lover
Reaction Score
MW would play all 5 positions. Now, what would Texas do?
I think our starting five to begin the 2017 season would be:
Center - Jatarie White
PF - Joyner Holmes
SF - Megan Walker
SG - Ariel Atkins (I think she would slide down from SF in 2016 to SG in 2017)
PG - Whoever wins the job among Brooke McCarty, Alecia Sutton, or Chasity Patterson

Reaction Score
14-armyofdarkness-horses-1000x500.jpg

Reaction Score
My guess is Walker wouldn't start her freshmen year barring injuries. Dangerfield, Nurse, KLS, and Stevens would seem to be locks with Collier or Williams probably getting the other spot.
Even DT and the Invincible Queen didn't start their freshman year, and we're talking about two of the greatest players to ever pick up a basketball.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
To give you a serious answer ... It's hard to say, but I think it includes Kia and Lou, for sure, plus almost certainly Crystal. Then 2 of these 3: Napheesa, Gabby, and Azura.

That means a bench of Megan, Natalie, Batouly, Lexi, Andi, Mikayla, Molly, and Kyla and 1 of Napheesa/Gabby/Azura. That's a loaded team.

Reaction Score
Well, since Geno doesn't play anyone more than ~22 minutes/game, the question of who might start is: everyone.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Even DT and the Invincible Queen didn't start their freshman year, and we're talking about two of the greatest players to ever pick up a basketball.
Actually, they did start, but only after injuries to others gave them the opportunity. Breanna Four-for-Four Stewart didn't start either, but I think her career turned out pretty nicely. That said, I expect Megan to play 15-18 minutes and make a big impact.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
58,000 views of this thread and counting. Ya think UConn Nation is interested in the latest news, and where Walker ends up? :confused: I'd say so.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro

Top Bottom