ACC | Page 43 | The Boneyard

ACC

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Who knows if this meeting is real but if it is and Presidents of ACC schools were there it is about more than just ND as a possible team for the Orange Bowl. Swofford can work out OB opponents without Presidents.
...then again maybe he couldn't.

I would love to track your record of accuracy with statements like this!

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
I'm not sure I understand what you are saying.

The two year break aligns with the Michigan games in 14 and 15. Just saying you are right - won't play BYU on top of 9 conf games plus OOC power.

I didn't realize the article spelled it out as well.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
The two year break aligns with the Michigan games in 14 and 15. Just saying you are right - won't play BYU on top of 9 conf games plus OOC power.

I didn't realize the article spelled it out as well.

Understood. Yeah, I agree. Now couple that with that the fact that the Pac12 and Big10 are going to get more cozy together than they have ever been, and one could imagine Utah starting to schedule a Big10 opponent every year in the OOC. It may be Utah's way of saying to BYU, "We just won the Holy War by not ever having to play you again! Enjoy being an Indy..."

If any positive comes out of this situation (not saying that it will), it may start to get BYU to reconsider the Big East idea, since future scheduling troubles may have their 2016+ schedules looking like New Mexico, Colo St., UNLV, New Mex St., etc. I'm not sure BYUtv is going to be worth it to them in the end if they can't continue to get ND, Texas, Utah, etc. We'll see, I guess.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
A few things re: the New Orange Bowl (NOB):

The Nob has secured its seat at the big boy table by being included in the playoff rotation and improved the quality of it's game by gaining the ability to avoid getting stuck with less desirable.picks by expanding the pool of teams to come down and trounce the ACC champ.

To do this the Nob had to trade its exclusive prime time slot for on more akin to the Capital One Bowl.

If ND makes an exclusive deal with the Nob, the NNBE should kick them out immediately and cancel this seasons games in all sports. This shouldn't be up for discussion.

Since ESPN owns most of the NBE bowl tie-ins. The NNBE shouldn't plan on those bowls being around for them in 2014.

The NNBE, if guaranteed a seat in the top 6 bowls, shouldn't worry about a tie-in. The geography of the NNBE doesn't lend itself to one location. It needs the most convenient locale for its champion and the best available opponent.

Without a guarantee, the NNBE should look into forming its own game with a playoff tie-in, possibly with ND as a partner if ND is in the Top 10 and the BE champ isn't, or reverse the old two loss rule. Finding a site will be an issue. Vegas would be my first choice if they had a big enough stadium, so it'd likely have to be be either Houston, Orlando, or Tampa. NBC would have to help establish it.

The NNBE is not dead, at least not until the effects of the new arrangement on TV, $$$, and recruiting are known but, the banana peel and the open grave are close by if the conference doesn't win some games on the field and get its act together off the field.

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk 2

pj

Reaction Score
If ND makes an exclusive deal with the Nob, the NNBE should kick them out immediately and cancel this seasons games in all sports. This shouldn't be up for discussion....

Since ESPN owns most of the NBE bowl tie-ins. The NNBE shouldn't plan on those bowls being around for them in 2014.

The NNBE, if guaranteed a seat in the top 6 bowls, shouldn't worry about a tie-in. The geography of the NNBE doesn't lend itself to one location. It needs the most convenient locale for its champion and the best available opponent.

Without a guarantee, the NNBE should look into forming its own game with a playoff tie-in, possibly with ND as a partner if ND is in the Top 10 and the BE champ isn't, or reverse the old two loss rule. Finding a site will be an issue. Vegas would be my first choice if they had a big enough stadium, so it'd likely have to be be either Houston, Orlando, or Tampa. NBC would have to help establish it.

The NNBE is not dead, at least not until the effects of the new arrangement on TV, $$$, and recruiting are known but, the banana peel and the open grave are close by if the conference doesn't win some games on the field and get its act together off the field.

I agree with most of this, except the kicking ND out part.

This whole realignment thing is opening up a huge opportunity for the NBE. The other conferences are committed to ESPN, the NBE can be NBC's flagship conference, and a new (6th) major bowl with NBE champ tie-in can be NBC's flagship prime time bowl. If we can get ND to tie in to the NBE bowl with NBC's help -- and I bet ND is kicking the tires with the ACC to see what kind of deal they need to get from NBC/NBE to make it worth their while -- then this can be a major game, and part of the national championship rotation.

The key is going to be doing a good deal with ND and NBC. If this happens, then the NBE may soon be in a stronger position than the ACC -- with a better / more prominent / better watched major bowl, a bigger TV audience as the ESPN audience is split across 5 conferences, and prime time slots. The money won't be as good in the first TV deal but by the second deal it may be much better.

Make the deal happen, NBE!

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
I agree with most of this, except the kicking ND out part.

This whole realignment thing is opening up a huge opportunity for the NBE. The other conferences are committed to ESPN, the NBE can be NBC's flagship conference, and a new (6th) major bowl with NBE champ tie-in can be NBC's flagship prime time bowl. If we can get ND to tie in to the NBE bowl with NBC's help -- and I bet ND is kicking the tires with the ACC to see what kind of deal they need to get from NBC/NBE to make it worth their while -- then this can be a major game, and part of the national championship rotation.

The key is going to be doing a good deal with ND and NBC. If this happens, then the NBE may soon be in a stronger position than the ACC -- with a better / more prominent / better watched major bowl, a bigger TV audience as the ESPN audience is split across 5 conferences, and prime time slots. The money won't be as good in the first TV deal but by the second deal it may be much better.

Make the deal happen, NBE!

I think you nailed it, pj. We are certainly tied to ND until the tv negotiations are done, since most of us think that our best shot at a good contract is through NBC and ND is their flagship (and only) college football property.

If a deal with NBC gets done and if they leverage the primetime slots around ND, it could turn out to be really good for the Big East. Maybe not Big12 or Big10 good, but certainly ACC good. I know that this includes a lot of "if this" and "if that", but "if" this goes through, the NBE might be in better shape than most would think at this point in time. I can't wait to get that tv deal done! It's the only thing that will stop the bleeding...

Reactions: pj

pj

Reaction Score
I think you nailed it, pj. We are certainly tied to ND until the tv negotiations are done, since most of us think that our best shot at a good contract is through NBC and ND is their flagship (and only) college football property.

If a deal with NBC gets done and if they leverage the primetime slots around ND, it could turn out to be really good for the Big East. Maybe not Big12 or Big10 good, but certainly ACC good. I know that this includes a lot of "if this" and "if that", but "if" this goes through, the NBE might be in better shape than most would think at this point in time. I can't wait to get that tv deal done! It's the only thing that will stop the bleeding...

Yes, and if they draw the contract up with revenue sharing above a threshold, and the NBE does well, the money could exceed the ACC's. If we don't get upside potential in the deal, then I hope they do a shorter contract so it can be renegotiated after the NBE proves itself.

Might need a GoR to make the deal happen, but it's the best way for NBC to get a big college football property and for ND to keep its independence and get a big contract renewal from NBC. They can't get as much money from any other network, and NBC may need more inventory which is only available from the NBE.

One upside for ND: They have fewer traditional rivals in the NBE, Navy is really the biggest one. With a bowl tie-in they don't need to play NBE teams in the regular season if they don't want to, but could have an ally who will schedule them as needed to fill holes in their schedule, and still be on good terms with the NBE for basketball and Olympic sports.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
We just need a big time negotiator at the table. I'd sure like to know who it will be.

SubbaBub

Reaction Score
You're probably right but, I don't like ND making goo goo eyes at the OB without knowing if NBC wants to create/partner with a NYD bowl game featuring the BE champ/ND vs another BCS team.

I also don't like them doing it before our TV contract is settled. It gives the impression they might be looking elsewhere. They are now an important BB program to the NNBE just like Syr, Pitt,... nevermind.

pj

Reaction Score
You're probably right but, I don't like ND making goo goo eyes at the OB without knowing if NBC wants to create/partner with a NYD bowl game featuring the BE champ/ND vs another BCS team.

I also don't like them doing it before our TV contract is settled. It gives the impression they might be looking elsewhere. They are now an important BB program to the NNBE just like Syr, Pitt,... nevermind.

I'm thinking NBE champ every year, ND as the opponent most years. Keep it in house at NBC.

Think about it. If the new NBE contract is to be concluded in Sept/Oct once negotiating is legal, then ND has to explore options July/Aug. You have to know your best alternative to a deal. They can't put off knowing what the other major conferences are willing to offer them. Especially since they may be extending their NBC deal in conjunction with a NBE-NBC deal, and committing to a bowl. This is a long-term, big-money, very consequential decision for them.

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
We just need a big time negotiator at the table. I'd sure like to know who it will be.

Took the words right out of my mouth. All of these thoughts are great and SHOULD be already thought out in the BE offices. However, as we've all seen, it seems like nothing is happening. It's just business as usual for them and whatever comes their way is fine with them. Oh wait, excuse me, the selection committee will be rewarding meritocracy or whatever crap that may involve. Until someone comes in and shows they are ready to represent this conference properly, I am not holding my breath on this conference ever returning to the Big Boy table. It won't be the prestige of the current members that keep the Big East out of the inner circle, it'll be the leadership, or lack thereof, that has and will.

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
You don't negotiate big complex deals in public.

Agreed but can you honestly say you have a good feeling that the Big East is doing whatever it can to maintain it's position? To me it's not. I hope I'm wrong, I really do

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

pj

Reaction Score
Agreed but can you honestly say you have a good feeling that the Big East is doing whatever it can to maintain it's position? To me it's not. I hope I'm wrong, I really do

We'll see but I don't see any mis-steps yet. They put together a national conference which is exactly what NBC needs. NBC wouldn't be able to go all-out with a regional conference. You can see from how ESPN is behaving that they know they won't get the Big East. They wouldn't be so vicious about sabotaging the NBE unless they were out of the running, that means somebody else is putting forward a deal that ESPN can't match.

The actual dollars are going to be the last thing negotiated, they have to find the optimal structure first, and Notre Dame is the biggest remaining determinant of that.

The steps are:
1) NBE puts together a national, 12-team conference that covers major media markets. DONE
2) ND agrees to stay in NBE and join with it to create a major NBC-prime-time-telecast top 6 bowl ... NBE, ND, NBC, and major bowl create tie-in arrangement ... this is the 6th bowl along with the 2 playoffs, Big 10-Pac 12, Big 12 - SEC, ACC-?? bowls. NBE champ vs ND will be bigger than ACC champ vs 3rd place major conference team most years. This is the major piece remaining.
3) Dollars worked out for TV deal. This has a bunch of moving pieces. Is there a grant of rights to give stability to the conference and support an NBC commitment? ND deal has to be extended at the same time and tied to the NBE deal, and distribution of money between NBE and ND worked out. ND could get the lion's share of this, for legitimizing NBE with the commitment to play the NBE champ in the major bowl when not a playoff team.

The Big East isn't the one who plays the next card, Notre Dame is. You can't say the Big East isn't doing everything it can until the TV rights negotiating period begins, and the Big East has the opportunity to make proposals.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
2) ND agrees to stay in NBE and join with it to create a major NBC-prime-time-telecast top 6 bowl ... NBE, ND, NBC, and major bowl create tie-in arrangement ... this is the 6th bowl along with the 2 playoffs, Big 10-Pac 12, Big 12 - SEC, ACC-?? bowls. NBE champ vs ND will be bigger than ACC champ vs 3rd place major conference team most years. This is the major piece remaining.

I like your post overall and think it makes a lot of sense, but why would ND ever agree to that bowl tie-in?

ND could call any bowl without a specific tie-in (i.e. Rose, Champions) and play in that game. I don't see them locking themselves into a deal with the Big East.

Reaction Score
ND to save the NBE!!!

Brooklyn Bridge for sale, $20 dollars.

That ND will do anything to help the NBE is such a fanciful concept I changed my avatar in honor of the idea.

pj

Reaction Score
I like your post overall and think it makes a lot of sense, but why would ND ever agree to that bowl tie-in?

ND could call any bowl without a specific tie-in (i.e. Rose, Champions) and play in that game. I don't see them locking themselves into a deal with the Big East.

First of all, there aren't many bowls. Six major bowls, 2 are the semifinals of the playoffs, 2 are locked in to B1G-Pac12 and Big12-SEC, their only choices are the ACC bowl or the 6th bowl. They are negotiating to see which choice offers more money. The 6th bowl would likely have the NBE champ, that's the only major conference champion still available.

Second, the key fact you're overlooking is that in tying into a bowl you're tying into a TV network. ESPN owns the ACC/Orange Bowl. NBC will likely own the NBE/6th bowl.

So Notre Dame is choosing between a partnership with ACC/ESPN and a partnership with NBE/NBC. They already have a partnership with NBC, and it's likely NBC will pay more than ESPN for Notre Dame TV rights.

Why would Notre Dame choose NBE/NBC over ACC/ESPN? Notre Dame, by doing the deal, gives NBC Sports Network viable national college football content, and gives the NBE stability and stature; in exchange, NBC and the NBE will let Notre Dame take the lion's share of the money from this 3-party deal. For Notre Dame, the benefit is money - more than ESPN/ACC would be willing to give.

ESPN already has 5 major conferences and the ACC already has major bowl status. So Notre Dame doesn't add as much value to them as it does to NBE/NBC. So they won't offer as much money to Notre Dame as NBE/NBC.

pj

Reaction Score
ND to save the NBE!!!

Brooklyn Bridge for sale, $20 dollars.

That ND will do anything to help the NBE is such a fanciful concept I changed my avatar in honor of the idea.

See my above post. ND will help itself by allying with NBC and the NBE. And you're an idiot if you think that ND doesn't need partners, or that the NBE is an unworthy partner. As the only unattached girl at the dance, the NBE has some value. It's the one conference that can put together a new ND-friendly deal. If the ACC tried to do the same, look out for FSU and Clemson to the Big 12.

SubbaBub

Reaction Score
I doubt ND would want to regularly play in a bowl against the BE champ. They would be choice #1 for any open selection bowl slot if they fail to qualify for the playoff.

If I had to guess the Sugar/Cotton will split the SEC/B12 Champions Bowl when the other is hosting a playoff. Rose will always be in be B1G/P12 when not hosting the playoff. That leaves the one slot in the Orange or the other two bowls TBD (likely Fiesta and one in either Orlando or Atlanta) Only Orlando is a natural fit for the Nationwide BE. International Drive makes for a decent place for fans to congregate, but it's no French Quarter or South Beach.

UConnDan97

Reaction Score

I know what you're saying, but it's ironic that you picked the one bowl (Rose) that will not allow ND to play in it. The point is still well taken, as we have seen with ND flirting with that girl in North Carolina...

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
I know what you're saying, but it's ironic that you picked the one bowl (Rose) that will not allow ND to play in it. The point is still well taken, as we have seen with ND flirting with that girl in North Carolina...

I worded that poorly. What I meant was that the Rose and Champions Bowls were bowls that both slots had tie-ins (Big10/Pac12 and SEC/Big12) already.

I think ND sees the Orange as the most realistic and most prestigious option left. That's a very reasonable stance.

If the alternative is creating a new bowl vs. a NNBE champion for a made for NBC alternative, or Orange Bowl vs. ACC Champ I think it's clear what they would choose.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Notre Dame will never be left out when they have a good team. They don't get left out with bad teams. Orange, Fiesta, Cotton, Outback, Sun, Gator - if they win games bowls will continue to fall all over them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom