ACC | Page 42 | The Boneyard

ACC

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
Well Clemson and FSU left this summer, so it's MD, UNC et al next summer right?
i think vt/uva before md/unc/ncst/gt but who knows really. i just wish some 1 would create a big public eastern conf with 16 great schools and go to town on college sports.

Reaction Score
We are officially a "have not" now - Sorry for not copying story for those who can't access link.

“@dennisdodd: ACC is basically taken care of last major-college football conference. Consolidates top 5 power. http://post original url/M7gixFl9"

http://www.cbssports.com/collegefoo...-open-on-playoff-after-accorange-announcement

Terrific job by Swofford and the ACC. Putting the Orange Bowl rights out for bid among all the networks will be huge.

Not too shabby for a conference everyone here thought was dead.

Reaction Score
Terrific job by Swofford and the ACC. Putting the Orange Bowl rights out for bid among all the networks will be huge.

Not too shabby for a conference everyone here thought was dead.

I wouldn't get too big of a woody... the Orange Bowl got the least attractive time slot of the six @ 1:00pm New Year's Day. They were afraid of being left out totally and jumped on whatever they could (before you point it out - I get that the BE had nothing to offer). Hell - people in the Pacific time zone won't even be up yet!

Reaction Score
It is getting a bit funny reading some of these posts. If the OB had announced the BE champ/ND v. the ACC champ, all the people killing this deal would be celebrating it.

Now, for the SU chest puffers out there, enjoy this time of year, b/c the season is 2 months away and it all comes crashing back to the reality that SU FB is not very good. When was your last win over UConn again?

Reaction Score
In Tuscaloosa and Baton Rouge, they don't compete for close-proximity entertainment $'s with three baseball teams (late season and playoffs), three football teams, early season hockey (Bruins, Rangers, Islanders and Devils) and basketball (Knicks, Celtics, Nets); all within easy driving distance. The above mentioned southern schools compete with Tractor Pulls, Noodling, Frog Gigging and Bass Fishing contests and, maybe, the Saints and Falcons. Not the same thing.
We get 30-35K per game after 10 years as an FBS program. And that's with all those other competing venues.
In 20-30 years, when a full generation of kids that grew up going to 'big-time' football in East Hartford start buying season tickets and bringing their kids because that's what they did, you'll see the impact.

cue "Circle of Life"...

Reaction Score
We are officially a "have not" now - Sorry for not copying story for those who can't access link.

“@dennisdodd: ACC is basically taken care of last major-college football conference. Consolidates top 5 power. http://post original url/M7gixFl9"

http://www.cbssports.com/collegefoo...-open-on-playoff-after-accorange-announcement

that's a sobering article. Basically, to your point, the BE is dead as a power conference.
Everything is this article suggests that the new system is going to be far less inclusive of schools not in the power conferences. This comittee might as well include Swofford, Slive, and Delaney. The chance of any BE team getting selected over a 2 loss team from those conferences is slim.

Ugh!!!!

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
that's a sobering article. Basically, to your point, the BE is dead as a power conference.
Everything is this article suggests that the new system is going to be far less inclusive of schools not in the power conferences. This comittee might as well include Swofford, Slive, and Delaney. The chance of any BE team getting selected over a 2 loss team from those conferences is slim.

Ugh!!!!

Dodd was among those calling the ACC TV deal a "blockbuster" until all the experts realized what I realized about 3 paragraphs into the first press release: the deal wasn't all that good. The ACC has no TV partner for a bowl game that doesn't sell tickets and gets lousy ratings. Louisville and Cincinnati have likely outsold every ACC school in that bowl over the last 8 years. ACC is taking the rights to market because it didn't like ESPN's bid. As others have said, I don't see another network stepping up big to broadcast an empty stadium with a crappy ACC team against an at-large that is likely outside the top 10.

Reaction Score
It is getting a bit funny reading some of these posts. If the OB had announced the BE champ/ND v. the ACC champ, all the people killing this deal would be celebrating it.

That's still not out of the realm of possibilities. To clarify - the affiliation was a good move/play by the ACC, but it's not going to be as lucrative in $$ as the other 5 upper tier bowls

Reaction Score
The ACC will wish they had the Big East champ most years. The OB is going to suck.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score

Now, for the SU chest puffers out there, enjoy this time of year, b/c the season is 2 months away and it all comes crashing back to the reality that SU FB is not very good. When was your last win over UConn again?

People are reacting to Dodd's article, where he declares this deal a "game changer" and all but says the ACC is on the verge of world domination while seeming to imply that the Big East is about to have every one of its athletic programs shut down. Looks like CBS is not going to be competing for the Big East contract.

RS9999X

There's no Dark Side .....it's all Dark.
Reaction Score
The BE Championship Game (opposite the ACC game) and a BE/ND Champion Bowl opposite the Orange Bowl scares the ACC. The ACC is set up to fail in the next agreement.

Reaction Score
Dodd was among those calling the ACC TV deal a "blockbuster" until all the experts realized what I realized about 3 paragraphs into the first press release: the deal wasn't all that good. The ACC has no TV partner for a bowl game that doesn't sell tickets and gets lousy ratings. Louisville and Cincinnati have likely outsold every ACC school in that bowl over the last 8 years. ACC is taking the rights to market because it didn't like ESPN's bid. As others have said, I don't see another network stepping up big to broadcast an empty stadium with a crappy ACC team against an at-large that is likely outside the top 10.
Not all that good is relative... I guess the Orange Bowl isn't as savvy as you to realize the ACC is their best alternative. And they aren't looking to lock in the BE as the other school either, which says a lot.

We'll see how things play out, but this keeps the ACC at the big boy table in my eyes.
I don't care if it's a corner seat, or if they have a booster seat with Swofford's name on it. He's got them at the table, and that's all he needs. he knows Miami, FSU, VT, and Clemson are big enough and rich enough in tradition to keep his league at that table. Give them some time and the next go around he's operating from a position of strength.
He's playing this the best he can...
Guarantee he won't forget the Big12's attempt to poach FSU or Clemson either (assuming they don't leave)...

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Not all that good is relative... I guess the Orange Bowl isn't as savvy as you to realize the ACC is their best alternative. And they aren't looking to lock in the BE as the other school either, which says a lot.

We'll see how things play out, but this keeps the ACC at the big boy table in my eyes.
I don't care if it's a corner seat, or if they have a booster seat with Swofford's name on it. He's got them at the table, and that's all he needs. he knows Miami, FSU, VT, and Clemson are big enough and rich enough in tradition to keep his league at that table. Give them some time and the next go around he's operating from a position of strength.
He's playing this the best he can...
Guarantee he won't forget the Big12's attempt to poach FSU or Clemson either (assuming they don't leave)...

I don't think the Orange Bowl has a lot of choices. The Big 10 and Pac 12 are locked up, as are the Big 12, and SEC. Assume that #2 SEC sticks with the Sugar and #2 Big 12 sticks with the Fiesta, and you run out of choices real quick. Also, assume 1 each from Big 10, Pac 12, Big 12 and SEC, so everyone else gets knocked down a peg further. Now you are at #4 SEC or Big 12, #3 Big 10 or Pac 12.

I suspect that the Big East will get an alternating deal with the Fiesta and Orange, with the two bowls taking turns with first choice, but under no obligation to choose a Big East team unless that team is in the Top 15 or Top 20. The Fiesta would have no problem taking Boise State or Houston, and the Orange wouldn't object to Louisville, Rutgers, Cincinnati, USF or UConn.

Where the Big East will get in trouble is if the champ is 8-4. I don't think any major bowl wants an 8-4 Big East team, and I can not blame them.

Reaction Score
I don't think the Orange Bowl has a lot of choices. The Big 10 and Pac 12 are locked up, as are the Big 12, and SEC. Assume that #2 SEC sticks with the Sugar and #2 Big 12 sticks with the Fiesta, and you run out of choices real quick. Also, assume 1 each from Big 10, Pac 12, Big 12 and SEC, so everyone else gets knocked down a peg further. Now you are at #4 SEC or Big 12, #3 Big 10 or Pac 12.

I suspect that the Big East will get an alternating deal with the Fiesta and Orange, with the two bowls taking turns with first choice, but under no obligation to choose a Big East team unless that team is in the Top 15 or Top 20. The Fiesta would have no problem taking Boise State or Houston, and the Orange wouldn't object to Louisville, Rutgers, Cincinnati, USF or UConn.

Where the Big East will get in trouble is if the champ is 8-4. I don't think any major bowl wants an 8-4 Big East team
AA on ESPN gave a decent view of the new playoffs, essentially saying that the only change in this round is that the Big 5 have gotten their AQ status while the BE has been relegated to the non-AQ status.
Amazingly this automatically locks in huge $'s for the Big10, PacX, Big12, SEC and ACC. If i'm not in that group, how do i let this happen. And where does ND land? That's the next shoe to drop in this. It's not feasible for them to have a guaranteed spot each year, so do they share a spot with the BE going to the Orange?

If the ACC champ goes to the playoffs, and they send an 9-3 team ranked #30 to the orange bowl (for some reason the ACC get's to pick who to send, not the comittee we've heard so much about), while a 10-2 BE team goes to the Podunk Bowl the general public should be outraged. this current system is going to have that happen multiple times every year.
we've literally watched 40% of the schools grab guaranteed rights to 90% of the BCS money without so much as a peep.
And that 40% includes Duke, BC, Northwestern, Indiana, Iowa State and WF while schools like Boise, Houston, UofL, and Cincy are waiting in the alley hoping for scraps.
I expected this to happen, but not so blatantly and with a little more pushback.

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
If the ACC champ goes to the playoffs, and they send an 9-3 team ranked #30 to the orange bowl (for some reason the ACC get's to pick who to send, not the comittee we've heard so much about), while a 10-2 BE team goes to the Podunk Bowl the general public should be outraged. this current system is going to have that happen multiple times every year.

Who in the general public is really going to be upset? Honestly? Outside of Big East school fans, who is going to lead this charge of outrage? I'm sorry but I can't see it happening. There's not enough of an audience or group of people that care enough about teams like UConn, Louisville, Cincy, etc to make a big stink about this. You really think ESPN is going to spend day upon day on College Football Live or SportsCenter when a 10-2 BE team doesn't go to a major bowl and a 9-3 ACC champ in Clemson or FSU does?

The reality here is that without WVU there's no major national following for any team in the Big East. Boise might come the closest to that following but by joining the Big East, they are considered dead to ESPN. Being dead to ESPN means the majority or casual fans consider them worthless as well. It's about perception and I can't see a scenario where anyone will care that they are getting a large chunk of the pie while a lot of programs aren't. It's all about greed and we've all seen how this affects college football. Why would anyone expect someone to call out the new system when the fat cats continue to dominate?

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
I think this thread deserves a bump, perhaps if the ND/ACC rumor is going to pick up.

RS9999X

There's no Dark Side .....it's all Dark.
Reaction Score
I think this thread deserves a bump, perhaps if the ND/ACC rumor is going to pick up.

A rumor that started on the Clemson thread and is beneath the notice of ND on any of its major boards?

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score

Where the Big East will get in trouble is if the champ is 8-4. I don't think any major bowl wants an 8-4 Big East team, and I can not blame them.

well lets at least be realistic here. u can take rutgers off that list.

Reaction Score
ND is not joining the ACC, this meeting is most likely about their Orange Bowl, they probably want to keep ND as a possible opponent.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
AA on ESPN gave a decent view of the new playoffs, essentially saying that the only change in this round is that the Big 5 have gotten their AQ status while the BE has been relegated to the non-AQ status.

Yeah, kinda reminds me of The Social Network, the way they got rid Zuckerberg's buddy's 20%

Reaction Score
ND is not joining the ACC, this meeting is most likely about their Orange Bowl, they probably want to keep ND as a possible opponent.

Who knows if this meeting is real but if it is and Presidents of ACC schools were there it is about more than just ND as a possible team for the Orange Bowl. Swofford can work out OB opponents without Presidents.

Reaction Score
Who knows if this meeting is real but if it is and Presidents of ACC schools were there it is about more than just ND as a possible team for the Orange Bowl. Swofford can work out OB opponents without Presidents.

LOL could you be anymore of an acc homer.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
Since the ACC Thread is the catch-all for everything "realignment" and since this comment didn't merit its own thread, I figured I would drop it here. Another casualty of the realignment movement; "The Holy War" will be postponed for 2 years between Utah and BYU:

http://collegefootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/07/10/byu-utah-going-on-two-year-series-hiatus/

Yet another great college rivalry that is going to suffer due to all the realignment craze. The best part is when the Utah AD states the following:

“We are solidly committed to play BYU in 2013 and 2016 and are close to finalizing a contract. Our intent is to continue to schedule BYU unless unusual circumstances dictate otherwise. In no way does this signal an end to the rivalry.”

Loosely translated, it means, "If we can schedule an OOC 'big boy' on top of our Pac-12 schedule, we would rather find a cupcake to add as the final game rather than continue the best college football game in the state of Utah." Sad, really...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom