ACC | Page 44 | The Boneyard

ACC

Status
Not open for further replies.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
College football is one of only three major sports I can think of where popularity is as important as quality of play in determining whether a participant even gets to compete for a championship. Gymnastics and figure skating are the others.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I doubt ND would want to regularly play in a bowl against the BE champ. They would be choice #1 for any open selection bowl slot if they fail to qualify for the playoff.

Probably not but they's certainly take a linkage to a BE bowl as a fall back position. Keep in mind that given ND's recent performance the "fall back position" is their most likely best case scenario for them in any given year. If they actually have a great year, then yes, they'd end up somewhere else.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
College football is one of only three major sports I can think of where popularity is as important as quality of play in determining whether a participant even gets to compete for a championship. Gymnastics and figure skating are the others.

Sure if you ignore MLB revenues and payroll and the NBA being a glorified intramural league with players banding together in only select cities.

Reaction Score

It's not only about having the chance to compete, its about the desire of the public to watch. When the PGA held it's Skin Game event between Palmer, Nicklaus, Watson and Trevino, lots of people watched. When they moved to others, deserving by means of their performance, but not as popular, the fans ignored the event. It's whoever moves the needle. They will be the teams favored in any selection process. It's not fair, and the committee will consist of many neutrals, but the networks are paying the huge rights fees---they won't be silent partners.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
Reaction Score
Mark Blaudschun is tweeting that ND and ACC are working on a deal where ND would play six football games/year vs ACC teams and other sports would join.

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
Also states in previous post that he thinks uconn would be 16.

Wait, I'm not following. If ND joins as a partial, like Kevin's suggesting, how would we be 16? Does that mean that there is another team that is listed as "15"??

RS9999X

There's no Dark Side .....it's all Dark.
Reaction Score
There's the old ACC camaraderie!! They make more money in their tv contract because SyraPitt are coming, and yet they aren't willing to share it with those two schools when they jump ship early. F them all, really...

Syracuse and Pitt were tools to reopen the contract. Nothing more. At least 66.7% of the contract increase was due to adding a 3-year extension . That's in the simple math of backloaded contracts. The other 33% of the increase was an adjustment to sprialing market rates and a further ceding of broadcast rights.

Now the ACC is begging Notre Dame to sign an 'arrangement' to complete the Big East raid. Otherwise ND and the BE can still enter into a bowl agreement for a Yankee Bowl type of game competing against the weakling Orange Bowl at 1:00 PM on News Years. ND must be neutralized! That's all that's really happening.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Mark Blaudschun is tweeting that ND and ACC are working on a deal where ND would play six football games/year vs ACC teams and other sports would join.

Not happening. Notre Dame is not going to change one thing about their current conference affiliation.

Reaction Score
If this were true, Big IF, would ND ask the ACC to include UConn as the 16th member to finally complete the Northeast corridor for all sports and pretty much cripple the Big East for good allowing the ACC to take over MSG for bball.

Reaction Score
If this were true, Big IF, would ND ask the ACC to include UConn as the 16th member to finally complete the Northeast corridor for all sports and pretty much cripple the Big East for good allowing the ACC to take over MSG for bball.
The Big East wouldn't be finished. The schools left behind, many are still at least somewhat strong. It would continue on with the new schools.

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
There are 12 now. Syrapitt make 14. ND would be 15 is a partial.

Yeah, I understand that "partial" part. But what I'm asking is, if ND is a partial member, who is their 15th FOOTBALL school? In other words, is the ACC going to want to have 15 football schools (if they were to grab UConn) for the simple pleasure of getting to play against Notre Dame soccer??

Reaction Score
ND would be either .666 or .75 of a football member, depending on whether the ACC would have 8 or 9 conference games a season. I know ND would play Syracuse and Pitt every season. So that's 4 other ACC games. Ends up being half (.5) a member.

Reaction Score

The ACC would never take over MSG for their BB tour.. MSG is not in their footprint. Greensboro will always play a huge part in their tour. Tobacco road it where most of the ACC tour. games will be played.

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
ND would be either .666 or .75 of a football member, depending on whether the ACC would have 8 or 9 conference games a season. I know ND would play Syracuse and Pitt every season. So that's 4 other ACC games. Ends up being half (.5) a member.

Butchy, that still doesn't matter though. They are not going to have an "odd-number" divisional slate, just to get the reported 6 games from ND as a non-conference entity. ND is already going to play Pitt, Syracuse, and BC. So the ACC would gain 3 more games to add a 15th full school?? Doesn't make sense...

Reaction Score
The ACC would never take over MSG for their BB tour.. MSG is not in their footprint. Greensboro will always play a huge part in their tour. Tobacco road it where most of the ACC tour. games will be played.
Cuse fans are going to miss the BE traditions.

Reaction Score
Butchy, that still doesn't matter though. They are not going to have an "odd-number" divisional slate, just to get the reported 6 games from ND as a non-conference entity. ND is already going to play Pitt, Syracuse, and BC. So the ACC would gain 3 more games to add a 15th full school?? Doesn't make sense...
Hey, they aren't a football member of the Big East, at all. If they joined the ACC with such an agreement, it would be the same with 3 ACC games.

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
Hey, they aren't a football member of the Big East, at all. If they joined the ACC with such an agreement, it would be the same with 3 ACC games.

I don't think you're following what I'm saying. If they made an agreement with ND to be a partial member, as others have suggested, and they bring in UConn as a full member, they would still need one more full member to go to 16 football teams! So are people saying that ND goes over as a partial, and UConn and Rutgers going to the ACC as fulls, or do people believe that the ACC wants 15 full members in its football conference?

Reaction Score
I don't think you're following what I'm saying. If they made an agreement with ND to be a partial member, as others have suggested, and they bring in UConn as a full member, they would still need one more full member to go to 16 football teams! So are people saying that ND goes over as a partial, and UConn and Rutgers going to the ACC as fulls, or do people believe that the ACC wants 15 full members in its football conference?
People believe the ACC wants 15 full members and one partial in ND. Having Rutgers as a full member along with UConn and ND as a 17th partial member just might not make sense from a bball perspective. Weird proposition.

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
People believe the ACC wants 15 full members and one partial in ND. Having Rutgers as a full member along with UConn and ND as a 17th partial member just might not make sense from a bball perspective. Weird proposition.

True, but as we all know (as the Big East knows all too well), football drives the bus, not bball. If it were bball, we never would have been poached....ever!

Reaction Score
Yeah, I understand that "partial" part. But what I'm asking is, if ND is a partial member, who is their 15th FOOTBALL school? In other words, is the ACC going to want to have 15 football schools (if they were to grab UConn) for the simple pleasure of getting to play against Notre Dame soccer??
I hear what you're saying, I think. If this did happen, why wouldn't the ACC just invite Nova, G'town, or SJU for all the other sports, keeping FB at 14 and rest of the sports at 16. Then they truly could alternate the ACC tourney b/w NC and MSG.

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
I hear what you're saying, I think. If this did happen, why wouldn't the ACC just invite Nova, G'town, or SJU for all the other sports, keeping FB at 14 and rest of the sports at 16. Then they truly could alternate the ACC tourney b/w NC and MSG.

Well, I guess the only thing that I am saying is to those who believe that UConn will become a full member of the ACC if ND agreed to become a partial member of the ACC. That's the part that I have a problem with. If they add ND as a partial member (a big "if", by the way) and not a full member, what is the driving force for the ACC to go out and get UConn??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LocalHits

Top Bottom