ACC | Page 41 | The Boneyard

ACC

Status
Not open for further replies.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
This is where Notre Dame can come to the rescue and partner with the BE as they did in the past in bowl selections. It's win/win. ND gets regular revenue and the BE gets slotted higher than they would normally.

Of course it might be against the best available ACC or the Orange Bowl agrees to select a BE/ND team twice every 4 years and partners with the SEC for 2 years in years when they don't host the semi-final---which might be never in the Orange Bowl's case.

The bowl system is dead. I hope that no conference is making any decisions around the bowl system.

The Funster

What?
Reaction Score
I don't think anyone will make decisions around the bowl system but that doesn't mean it's dead. It still fills a lot of TV time and still is finacially viable. As long as it makes money the bowl system will be around.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
The bowl system is dead. I hope that no conference is making any decisions around the bowl system.

End of season OOC games in popular bowl games still matter. This new playoff doesn't change as much as people think. It's basically the plus one model. Even with AQ's you want to be in the top six bowl games because it drives TV exposure and therefore drives recruiting.

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk 2

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Interest in bowl games was crashing before the playoff was implemented. It is going to drop off a cliff now. It is impossible for school presidents to justify 20k ticket guarantees to games the fans don't want to go to. Orange bowl tickets were going for $2 on stub hub, for a game between two schools that travel well. Fiesta tickets were available in the mid teens, and Sugar tickets were available in the 20's. Ratings are slipping, because fans are not interested in games that do not matter. That problem will get worse with a playoff.

Bowls are dead. It is just a matter of time.

Reaction Score
Interest in bowl games was crashing before the playoff was implemented. It is going to drop off a cliff now. It is impossible for school presidents to justify 20k ticket guarantees to games the fans don't want to go to. Orange bowl tickets were going for $2 on stub hub, for a game between two schools that travel well. Fiesta tickets were available in the mid teens, and Sugar tickets were available in the 20's. Ratings are slipping, because fans are not interested in games that do not matter. That problem will get worse with a playoff.

Bowls are dead. It is just a matter of time.

Bowls make money... Suggesting otherwise is completely wrong.
What you are arguing is whether schools make money by participating in these bowls. That's debatable. For a northeastern school that doesn't travel well, it could be difficult, especially if the bowl is out west on New Year's Day.
seeing tickets sell for $2 is irrelevant because I'm assuming this is a second market.

The notion that the new playoff format was done to protect the bowls and their 'heritage' means they aren't going anywhere anytime soon either.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
12 year deal for ACC and Orange Bowl. 1 PM New Years Day. If an ACC team is in semis, second ACC goes to Orange.

Reaction Score
12 year deal for ACC and Orange Bowl. 1 PM New Years Day. If an ACC team is in semis, second ACC goes to Orange.

Being reported that second ACC team goes even if not ranked?!?!?! WTF - nothing is changing other then top 4 and NC game.

Reaction Score

Most years will be the second place ACC team but still a good team. Sounds like open for the opponent so maybe a chance for the NBE assuming their champ is ranked high enough.

jrazz12

BEast mode
Reaction Score
Most years will be the second place ACC team but still a good team. Sounds like open for the opponent so maybe a chance for the NBE assuming their champ is ranked high enough.

Most years? So you think most years the ACC will have a team that finishes in the top 4, worthy of the championship series?

Along the same lines, can anyone explain how these bowl affiliations work now? My understanding of the new system was that the 6 big bowls rotate the semis, which means every 3 years, the Orange Bowl will have a semifinal matchup. Assuming the ACC has a top 4 team (very rare), obviously they get picked up by the Orange Bowl. If not though, it means every 3 years the ACC champ is NOT playing in the Orange Bowl.

Reaction Score
"Most years will be the second place ACC team but still a good team."

Huh? I'm expecting that most years the ACC champ will be in the Orange Bowl because they would most likely have to be undefeated to be in the playoff.

Reaction Score

Observer, you have just earned the new name of "ACC Al".

And, if by "most years" you mean one year in the last 10 (same as the BE), then you would be correct...

Reaction Score
"Most years will be the second place ACC team but still a good team."

Huh? I'm expecting that most years the ACC champ will be in the Orange Bowl because they would most likely have to be undefeated to be in the playoff.

Not necessarily need to be unbeaten. Here are some of the OOC games that ACC schools have lined up:

FSU-- Florida
Clemson--Georgia
VT--Ohio State; Alabama
Miami-Nebraska; ND; Mich State
Syr- Penn State; ND
GT- Alabama
Pitt- ND; Iowa; PSU

In most years an otherwise undefeated ACC team with one loss to any of those schools would be likely to make the top four.

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
Observer, you have just earned the new name of "ACC Al".

And, if by "most years" you mean one year in the last 10 (same as the BE), then you would be correct...

well lets take it easy here. 1-10 is a pretty on par % for the acc. i mean there bcs record the last 10 years is what again?

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
Not necessarily need to be unbeaten. Here are some of the OOC games that ACC schools have lined up:

FSU-- Florida
Clemson--Georgia
VT--Ohio State; Alabama
Miami-Nebraska; ND; Mich State
Syr- Penn State; ND
GT- Alabama
Pitt- ND; Iowa; PSU

In most years an otherwise undefeated ACC team with one loss to any of those schools would be likely to make the top four.

WOW! those are amazing games! my god! crappy nbe schools will never get games like those...whomp whomp
oh wait?!?!?

uconn- michigan, tenn, uva
usf- miami, ncst, indiana, msu, florida
cincy- vt, purdue, tosu, , miami, purdue
lville- uk, unc, duke
bsu- msu, byu, wash, ole, ore st
sdsu- wash, army, ore st, az st
temple- psu, md, nd, army
ucf- mizzu, tosu, south cary, texas, byu
memphis- mizzu, duke, miami, kansas, ole, tenn
uh- ucla, byu
smu- baylor, tcu, atm, tt (check out the 2013 schedule smu will have, unreal)

Reaction Score
It's crazy to follow... But here is some patched clarification from a number of published sources:

"The league anticipates the Orange Bowl hosting at least four semifinal games and says in those years, its champion will play in one of the three other host bowls.If the ACC champion makes the playoffs, another ACC team will play in the Orange Bowl" (AP Article).

“@schadjoe: The ACC will have a team in the Orange Bowl all 12 years of the new BCS, unless it is a semifinal with no ACC team in it”

“@schadjoe: If an ACC team is in the Final Four when the Orange Bowl is not a semifinal, a DIFFERENT ACC team will placed in the Orange Bowl”

“@schadjoe: At least one ACC team will be guaranteed a position in one of the new six "BCS" bowls”

“@schadjoe: If ACC has two teams in Final Four and Orange Bowl is not a semi, a third ACC team would go to Orange” **My comment - "wouldn't matter because that means hell froze over and there would be no game"

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
What happened to the Selection Committee picking the 12 BCS teams? Or did someone tied to the ACC just put their foot in their mouth again and admit the fix is in for the Big 5?

jrazz12

BEast mode
Reaction Score
It's crazy to follow... But here is some patched clarification from a number of published sources:

"The league anticipates the Orange Bowl hosting at least four semifinal games and says in those years, its champion will play in one of the three other host bowls.If the ACC champion makes the playoffs, another ACC team will play in the Orange Bowl" (AP Article).

“@schadjoe: The ACC will have a team in the Orange Bowl all 12 years of the new BCS, unless it is a semifinal with no ACC team in it”

“@schadjoe: If an ACC team is in the Final Four when the Orange Bowl is not a semifinal, a DIFFERENT ACC team will placed in the Orange Bowl”

“@schadjoe: At least one ACC team will be guaranteed a position in one of the new six "BCS" bowls”

“@schadjoe: If ACC has two teams in Final Four and Orange Bowl is not a semi, a third ACC team would go to Orange” **My comment - "wouldn't matter because that means hell froze over and there would be no game"

So ACC is claiming to have an AQ to the BCS one way or the other

Reaction Score
WOW! those are amazing games! my god! crappy nbe schools will never get games like those...whomp whomp
oh wait?!?!?

uconn- michigan, tenn, uva
usf- miami, ncst, indiana, msu, florida
cincy- vt, purdue, tosu, , miami, purdue
lville- uk, unc, duke
bsu- msu, byu, wash, ole, ore st
sdsu- wash, army, ore st, az st
temple- psu, md, nd, army
ucf- mizzu, tosu, south cary, texas, byu
memphis- mizzu, duke, miami, kansas, ole, tenn
uh- ucla, byu
smu- baylor, tcu, atm, tt (check out the 2013 schedule smu will have, unreal)

OOOOH, be still my heart. A veritable murderer's row there with mighty Indiana, Air Force, Oregon State, Army and other 'notables.'

The NBE teams will need to play quality OOC games because the conference games will, with a few exceptions (Boise and 'ville), not impress anyone.

But anyway was going to ask how the NBE screwed up and did not invite East Carolina who has way more going for it than half of the bottom feeders the BE did add. A team like ECU plays decent FB and draws well and in a better conference could do much more.

Reaction Score
This isn't going to happen overnight... Its taken 10 years to get here... And that is considered unprecedented.
What we need is the next generation of husky fans to bring the passion. Programs like Bama
And LSU have have generations brought up on spending Saturdays watching college football. Uconn is growing but it's going to take a generation or two for the next big step.

In Tuscaloosa and Baton Rouge, they don't compete for close-proximity entertainment $'s with three baseball teams (late season and playoffs), three football teams, early season hockey (Bruins, Rangers, Islanders and Devils) and basketball (Knicks, Celtics, Nets); all within easy driving distance. The above mentioned southern schools compete with Tractor Pulls, Noodling, Frog Gigging and Bass Fishing contests and, maybe, the Saints and Falcons. Not the same thing.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
OOOOH, be still my heart. A veritable murderer's row there with mighty Indiana, Air Force, Oregon State, Army and other 'notables.'

The NBE teams will need to play quality OOC games because the conference games will, with a few exceptions (Boise and 'ville), not impress anyone.

But anyway was going to ask how the NBE screwed up and did not invite East Carolina who has way more going for it than half of the bottom feeders the BE did add. A team like ECU plays decent FB and draws well and in a better conference could do much more.

Lol no real ACC fan would ever say anything positive on ECU.

Reaction Score
What happened to the Selection Committee picking the 12 BCS teams? Or did someone tied to the ACC just put their foot in their mouth again and admit the fix is in for the Big 5?

We are officially a "have not" now - Sorry for not copying story for those who can't access link.

“@dennisdodd: ACC is basically taken care of last major-college football conference. Consolidates top 5 power. http://post original url/M7gixFl9"

http://www.cbssports.com/collegefoo...-open-on-playoff-after-accorange-announcement

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
Wait, I thought the ACC was dead and devolving into a league of small private universities that no one else wanted.

At least that's what I read here thousands of times.
they are slowly. big publics will eventually leave. vandy will join duke and crew one day. by that time gtown and nova will wake up and upgrade also. enjoy the private parts league 10 years down the road.

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score

i clearly bolded the games u were bragging about and showed u we also play those games. i want ecu in the nbe becuase they would be like a ucf add. but ecu doesn't bring a tv market, thats why i think they got left behind. for now.

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
In Tuscaloosa and Baton Rouge, they don't compete for close-proximity entertainment $'s with three baseball teams (late season and playoffs), three football teams, early season hockey (Bruins, Rangers, Islanders and Devils) and basketball (Knicks, Celtics, Nets); all within easy driving distance. The above mentioned southern schools compete with Tractor Pulls, Noodling, Frog Gigging and Bass Fishing contests and, maybe, the Saints and Falcons. Not the same thing.

and to add, tractor pulls and some other southern sports are done in the parking lots during tailgating. we are on the rise, each year we add new alum growing up on fball. we will have a huge fan base soon enough and a big conf will see that and gampel on that eventually. it will pay off for that league in time. i can't wait for the day...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom