Your predictions for the season | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Your predictions for the season

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I was optimistic based on the hype around Evers, our schedule, the upgrades at skilled positions, and a strong returning core of running backs. But in today's game, no matter how good the defense is, if we keep running the kind of offense UConn Football could have trademarked by now, I'll refer to the UConn Football Farmers Almanac and say no more than 4-5 wins.

Reaction Score
Just looked at another one of those early preseason rankings, interestingly they also showed "ceiling" and "floor" of expectations. And for the top guys there was a difference of 4 wins, i.e. the ceiling might be 12 wins and the floor 8 wins. FSU had a wider range of 12 wins vs. 6.

Some talking head has UConn at 4.8 wins and if that is a "middle" range at plus/minus 2 would be about 7 wins vs. 3 wins. Got me thinking that 2022 6 wins and 2023 3 wins maybe was much similar teams quality, just few plays making difference from stealing a couple of wins in 2022 and giving away a couple in 2023. To my way of thinking 6 wins or less 2024 is same relative team as prior two, need 8 wins going into bowl game to be real progress.

Looking at Ohio State with floor of 8-4, with 3 gimme OOC games are they really saying could go 5-4 in the Big 18.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
of note - Hartford Courant's Joe Arruda is an AP voter this year.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
Ok fine, my prediction is a seven win season. My basis is mostly heart and not science. But thanks to the major reload from the portal and the coaching staff change, the heart has some reason to believe in something good.

If we beat Merrimack by 24 and hold tight against Duke in a loss, then seven is on the table. I'm going to assume that all the newest of this team leads to a mixed showing week 1.

Maryland L
Merrimack W (need to pull away)
Duke L (needs to be tight!)
FAU W
Buffalo W
Temple W (really need this)
Wake L
Rice W
Georgia State L
UAB L
Syracuse L
UMass W

Bowl - need the Win for #7.

hardcorehusky

Lost patience with the garden variety UConn fan
Reaction Score
Boy we need to separate ourselves from UMass, almost a toss-up is to close. Think the %'s if GS 50% gets about 6-6.
I could care less than care less about preseason predictions.

We have shown even in a down year like last year that there is separation. Looking at committment of program facilities, they aren't on the same planet as us and finally, they couldn't wait to join the MAC and we would never even consider it.

Reaction Score
I’m not heading down to Maryland to watch us lose! You should hear the Terps talking about starting 6-0. Not so fast!
Aug 31 vs UConn
Sep 7 vs Michigan State
Sep 14 @ Virginia
Sep 21 vs Villanova
Sep 28 @ Indiana
Oct 11 vs Northwestern
They don’t mention us at all in their pre-season outlook shows. We’re the invisible opponent when they discuss each game projection. We’re a given. Their season ticket holders are happily selling us their parking spots. They don’t plan on being there. It’s Labor Day Weekend. They’re not playing “anyone”. This is their chance to hit the beach not the stadium. It’s almost like the turtle is completely inside its shell, basking in the late summer sun. Sounds like a good time to make some turtle soup.

KryHavok

Oh yes, UConn IS a BB blueblood!
Reaction Score
I’m not heading down to Maryland to watch us lose! You should hear the Terps talking about starting 6-0. Not so fast!

They don’t mention us at all in their pre-season outlook shows. We’re the invisible opponent when they discuss each game projection. We’re a given. Their season ticket holders are happily selling us their parking spots. They don’t plan on being there. It’s Labor Day Weekend. They’re not playing “anyone”. This is their chance to hit the beach not the stadium. It’s almost like the turtle is completely inside its shell, basking in the late summer sun. Sounds like a good time to make some turtle soup.
Let's hope our boys run into something like this:
Capture.JPG

instead of this:
Capture.JPG

Reaction Score
i have a feeling we could beat maryland or it will be close
I feel that we have a strong and veteran d-line and secondary, we'll see what the linebacker corps will bring. Offense may take a few games to settle in and Maryland will be a tough test for relatively new qb. May see more of Evers with his ability to scramble although Maryland really doesn't have a great defense.

I think we can keep it close, but Maryland has a lot of offensive skill returning, including qb Taulia Tagovailoa. They may try to jump on us early.

Reaction Score
I feel that we have a strong and veteran d-line and secondary, we'll see what the linebacker corps will bring. Offense may take a few games to settle in and Maryland will be a tough test for relatively new qb. May see more of Evers with his ability to scramble although Maryland really doesn't have a great defense.

I think we can keep it close, but Maryland has a lot of offensive skill returning, including qb Taulia Tagovailoa. They may try to jump on us early.
Are you sure that Taulia is still playing for Maryland? I see that Taulia has departed Maryland for the CFL.

Maryland 2024 Information

It will be tough not to experience any sort of setback with the Big Ten all-time career-passing leader Taulia Tagovailoa’s departure. But Maryland has a jam-packed wide receiver room that only needs an arm to toss it to them. If the Terps find that, they will hit their stride because the backfield is solid, and their strength is in their defense, where you will find a veteran front seven with six seniors and five returning starters.

Key returners: WR Tak Felton, WR Kaden Prather, TE Preston Howard, RB Roman Hemby, DE Quashon Fuller, NT Jordan Phillips, DT Tommy Akingbesote, SLB Kellan Wyatt, MLB Ruben Hyppolite II, FS Dante Trader JR.

Reaction Score
The you beat Maryland is go down and turn it into a rock fight. Maybe they come out sloppy as it’s the first game. Other than that they are on paper much better than us.

Reaction Score
Aug 31 vs UConn
Sep 7 vs Michigan State
Sep 14 @ Virginia
Sep 21 vs Villanova
Sep 28 @ Indiana
Oct 11 vs Northwestern
until we give people a reason to fear instead of confirming their biases by underperforming badly in what was supposed to be a year of growth (see 2023), we have no right to be offended when we are overlooked; an afterthought; a cupcake.

we would do the same if we saw southern ct. state or WestConn, on our schedule. Until we prove otherwise, THAT is what we are to a B1G/P4 team, even to the rutgers / Marylands of the world.

Reaction Score
Are you sure that Taulia is still playing for Maryland? I see that Taulia has departed Maryland for the CFL.

Maryland 2024 Information

It will be tough not to experience any sort of setback with the Big Ten all-time career-passing leader Taulia Tagovailoa’s departure. But Maryland has a jam-packed wide receiver room that only needs an arm to toss it to them. If the Terps find that, they will hit their stride because the backfield is solid, and their strength is in their defense, where you will find a veteran front seven with six seniors and five returning starters.

Key returners: WR Tak Felton, WR Kaden Prather, TE Preston Howard, RB Roman Hemby, DE Quashon Fuller, NT Jordan Phillips, DT Tommy Akingbesote, SLB Kellan Wyatt, MLB Ruben Hyppolite II, FS Dante Trader JR.
You're correct, he's no longer a Terp. Helps our chances.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jfreeds

Top Bottom