Your Opinion on 2017 & 2018 Recruiting Classes | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Your Opinion on 2017 & 2018 Recruiting Classes

Status
Not open for further replies.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Just realized that I neglected to provide my '17 & '18 wish list. Keep in mind that this prognostication is for entertainment purposes only. If Coach Auriemma looked at my list and thought it was absolute trash, about the toughest thing I could say in return would be, "You're right!"

That said, here's my ideal scenario:

2017: AEH, Megan Walker, Lexi Gordon & Jade Williams

2018: Williams, Collier, Scott-Grayson

Reisigerova and Jarosinski are intriguing due to their size but I don't think two large classes back-to-back make sense for a number of reasons. Something had to give. Besides, my gut tells me Reisigerova will play professionally in Europe.

DeCosta becomes less of an '18 priority with the two '17 wings on board.

What do you think?
Would take those two classes in a heartbeat. Definitely need a little size in the next two classes.

Reaction Score
I think UCONN needs more than 1 each big in the next two classes because potentially each of those bigs (Jade & Charli) will have to start as a Freshmen with Jade replacing Morgan and Charli replacing Butler in the starting lineup. Don't forget that Boykin has transferred.
I would also have to question bringing in 3 wings/G in '17 AEH, Megan Walker, & Lexi Gordon.

Coco-

I was going back and forth on three wings as well. A bunch of scenarios crossed my mind. Did the staff offer Lexi to hedge their bet on the possibility of Walker going somewhere else as others on the BY have speculated? Does the staff think the possibility of Lexi commiting is unlikely but want to develop a relationship with her family in order to potentially assist with the future recruitment of her younger sister (kind of like what happened with KLS)? Or is simply a matter of the staff trying to secure the best players regardless of "positions"?

Again, I realize that my two cents are worth less than a penny, but I kind of fall into that "best player available" camp. Granted, you can't have a roster of 15 guards or 15 bigs, but I'm sure you get my point. There isn't an available big at the top of the '17 class which knocks my socks up to the point as to categorize them as a "must get". Kushkituah is highly ranked but just doesn't do it for me in the limited exposure I've had to her game. Reisigerova sounds intriguing from the information you were kind enough to provide, but I really don't know much about her and didn't think it would be fair for me to include her on my list as a result. Hence, after much deliberation, I went with my three wing class in '17.

You know, assuming there are no inbound transfers or others unusual scenarios, UConn could theoretically take a 5 person class in both '17 and '18 and not be above the 15 scholarship limit. I'll just add Reisigerova to my '17 class and call it a day! Don't worry, I'll make sure to give you full credit when Coach Auriemma takes us out for lunch as a token of his appreciation!

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Coco-

I was going back and forth on three wings as well. A bunch of scenarios crossed my mind. Did the staff offer Lexi to hedge their bet on the possibility of Walker going somewhere else as others on the BY have speculated? Does the staff think the possibility of Lexi commiting is unlikely but want to develop a relationship with her family in order to potentially assist with the future recruitment of her younger sister (kind of like what happened with KLS)? Or is simply a matter of the staff trying to secure the best players regardless of "positions"?

Again, I realize that my two cents are worth less than a penny, but I kind of fall into that "best player available" camp. Granted, you can't have a roster of 15 guards or 15 bigs, but I'm sure you get my point. There isn't an available big at the top of the '17 class which knocks my socks up to the point as to categorize them as a "must get". Kushkituah is highly ranked but just doesn't do it for me in the limited exposure I've had to her game. Reisigerova sounds intriguing from the information you were kind enough to provide, but I really don't know much about her and didn't think it would be fair for me to include her on my list as a result. Hence, after much deliberation, I went with my three wing class in '17.

You know, assuming there are no inbound transfers or others unusual scenarios, UConn could theoretically take a 5 person class in both '17 and '18 and not be above the 15 scholarship limit. I'll just add Reisigerova to my '17 class and call it a day! Don't worry, I'll make sure to give you full credit when Coach Auriemma takes us out for lunch as a token of his appreciation!
Uconn usually ends up offering maybe 5 +/- scholarships each year - that is the limit of the players that have some real interest in Uconn and that the Uconn staff and players like enough to want to work with. I don't think it has ever gotten much beyond 5 and a few years it has been fewer. (That doesn't mean there are not a lot more players they like - just that they are realistic about players like Griner who had no interest in Uconn.) Given that limited number of players that they want and have a chance at, I don't think they are shy about making early offers regardless of position. There may be a few players that they do not offer if they get early commitments from similar players, and there may be a few that they offer that they really really like even though they are similar players to ones that have already offered. This past class is an example of the later - three players all about the same height, all capable of playing in similar spots on the floor and all very talented. Lou was the best three point shooter, Boykin the best low post player and Napheesa perhaps able to bridge the two - but enough similarity that you could say they 'overlapped' in skills. Finally there may be a few that they offer only after reading the tea leaves and realizing they are not getting their 'first choice' at a position.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Coco-

Definitely the latter-the staff is trying to secure the best players regardless of positions. This is no different other classes like 4 guards with Courtney, Gabby, Kia, and Sadie or a class with 3 wings KLS, Collier & Boykin. I trust the staff way more than I trust my own greediness.
Gordon has made a meteoric rise- I believe McCormick said Gordon improved more in one summer than any player he ever seen. UCONN kicked the tires with an in home visit and found there was interest so I think UCONN has legit interest in & a plan for both. When I said Julia Reisigerova was the most skilled big in the next two classes I was including Kushkituah in that comparison. UCONN rarely goes near the scholarship limit of 15 but just to get to a roster size of 11 in 2017 they will need to bring in 2 more players to replace departing Tuck??, Chong & Lawlor. A 5 person class in 2017 would put the UCONN roster at 14-maybe 1 above Geno's sweet spot. 5 person class in '17 & '18 would put the roster at the max of 15 but that is a long ways away.

Gate81

'Gate Grad Likes Cardinal & UConn Best
Reaction Score
It is that question of whether a coach accepts a 'package deal' - the recruit that says 'I want to play college ball with _____ .' where the blank is filled in with 'MY sister' or 'MY teammate' or 'MY best friend'. It says the decision isn't about the coach or the other players already at the school or the style of play or the school itself and I would think is a big red flag about what type of teammate that recruit is going to be. It isn't quite the same as what happened with UNCs big class which seemed to be sort of orchestrated or the TASSK force at Uconn - those players knew each other but were a diverse group from various states who had played with and against each other at USA trials or in AAU.
Every team develops cliques and people choose roommates or best friends, but a coaching staff and team members have a better chance to manage those dynamics if they are integral to the team process at the school - it is much harder to manage if they comes pre-packaged. I think a situation like the Samuelson sisters or the O sisters is easier because there were a few years between the arrivals so the eldest already had a few years of integration and experience before the next sister arrived, with twins it is harder.
I don't think it has to be a deal breaker, but I do think a wise coach is more wary of the situation.

And yeah - I wonder specifically about the DD/Cooper dynamic, I hadn't thought about the NW issue - did they all play for the same AAU? Not the same HS?
yes the OR players were on the same travel team with Kailee Johnson (Stanford).

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
Do not ignore the inevitable attrition between oral commitment and graduation. Boykin, Edwards, Wright, Walker, Delle Donne, Banks, Engeln, etc., etc.

Reaction Score
Remember that time UConn had Tina AND Maya?

Remember that time I said, "The reason Geno and Co. have been so successful, is they get the right star talent and put them together like a puzzle. You have to have the RIGHT pieces to complete the puzzle."

No where in that statement does it say TWO elite future WNBA MVP's can't co-exist. They just have to be the RIGHT ones.

Reaction Score
Do we know if any of the bigs are planning visits to campus anytime soon? Jade Williams, Charli Collier, Sedona Prince, or Lindsay Jarosinski?

I thought Charli Collier was supposed to come to one of the games in December, but someone said she couldn't make it. And I know that Geno did a home visit with Jade Williams.

Reaction Score
DeCosta becomes less of an '18 priority with the two '17 wings on board.
What do you think?

Since I live in Northern California, I'll chime in here and point out a some things about DeCosta:

— Though some list her as wing and project her as possibly being a small forward in college, she currently plays center for her HS team (which is ranked #1 in the country by ESPN). Of course, it's very typical for any girl over 6'0", regardless of skill set and where she's expected to play in college to play center by default at the high school level.

However, DeCosta is obviously not just any 6'2" girl. She is a rebounding nightmare. This season against Riverdale Baptist (the #3 team in the country by ESPN) she had 19 rebounds (along with 22 points), even though Riverdale Baptist has five 6'0"+ players on their roster. More recently, her team St. Mary's got an overtime scare from Salesian HS (also in NorCal). DeCosta ripped down 27 rebounds that game (along with 22 points and 6 blocks) in a matchup against Salesian's 6'5" center, Angel Jackson. Though Jackson is only a freshman, Dan Olson of ESPNW has already stated that she is "definitely top 25 [nationally] in her class." Again, that's 27 rebounds against a girl just a year younger with a "Wilt Chamberlain build."

Point being, it's going to be tough for a coach to justify letting a rebounder like DeCosta spend too much time roaming away from the paint, possibly at the expense of easy put backs off O-boards with her pogo stick leaping ability (she can dunk volleyballs).

— She hasn't attempted a single 3-pointer so far this season. Her perimeter game is described as "emerging," and there is a consensus among astute observers that her shooting needs to become more consistent in order to transition to the wing spot, and that she may need to revamp her shooting form as her current fundamentals/mechanics are slightly "off."

Point being, at this time many folks think her game would be best utilized at the power forward position. Thus, I really don't think there is/would be too much "overlap" between DeCosta and the two players you mentioned (Megan Walker and Lexi Gordon).

— I actually have not had the chance to see DeCosta play in person (even though I am also in NorCal, I'm a 2-hour drive from DeCosta's HS). But from what I've gathered, she seems similar to Nneka Ogwumike. Both 6'2" freak athletes. Although I definitely think DeCosta is a bit more advanced and polished at this stage than Nneka (who didn't really blow up until after her freshman season at Stanford). Additionally, while her perimeter shooting needs improvement, DeCosta is said to be a good ball handler for her size (something Nneka never really developed).

Last edited:
Reaction Score
kat - great report. Thanks.

My pleasure! Aquira DeCosta is far from a later bloomer (I think I first heard the buzz about her when she was just in the 7th grade), so I've kept close tabs on her.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
— I actually have not had the chance to see DeCosta play in person (even though I am also in NorCal, I'm a 2-hour drive from DeCosta's HS). But from what I've gathered, she seems similar to Nneka Ogwumike.

Kind of a cross between Ogwuimike and Linnae Harper.

Reaction Score
What AD in his or her right mind wouldn't give Geno a contract extension for as long as Geno wants? I'm not worried!
Since the 2012-13 season and including the current season UCONN starting lineup has not been without Multiple 1st Team All American. This concept of a singular UCONN star surrounded by a bunch of role players is not compatible with winning a championship(s). Nor did this work out too well for Senior Maya Moore who should have had a 1st team AA playing alongside of her as a senior. UCONN has not successfully recruited out of HS an elite post player since Stewie & Tuck in 2012. Stewie will graduate in 5 months and Morgan may choose to leave early. That would leave 2 post players (Butler & Erwin) on the UCONN rosters for the 2016-17 season. If that sounds like a complaint then I'm only complaining because I'm spoiled and greedy. Greedy enough to say UCONN needs to sign an elite post in 2017 to bolster it's championship hopes.
I agree with everything you said.They did have a recruit to play with Maya in her senior year EDD.IMO if she stayed Uconn would be going for 8 in a row.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
I agree with everything you said.They did have a recruit to play with Maya in her senior year EDD.IMO if she stayed Uconn would be going for 8 in a row.
EDD was who I had in mind.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Do we know if any of the bigs are planning visits to campus anytime soon? Jade Williams, Charli Collier, Sedona Prince, or Lindsay Jarosinski?

I thought Charli Collier was supposed to come to one of the games in December, but someone said she couldn't make it. And I know that Geno did a home visit with Jade Williams.
There is too many Williams to keep track of. LaDazhia Williams '17 is post player of Florida. Jade Williams'17 is a post player from Texas. UCONN has had in home visits with both.
Lindsay Jarosinski per ESPN is interested in UCONN since she first came on the scene at US Junior Nationals Summer of 2014.
Sedona Prince originally committed to Texas as an 8th grader and has since reopened her recruiting. Conventional wisdom is it going to take extra effort to get her out of Texas.
Charli Collier did not make it to UCONN for a visit but did watch UCONN play @Huston from behind the Huston bench.

Reaction Score
I am hoping we can convince a few of these posts to come to visit campus. For 2017 I would rather get Jade Williams than LaDazhia Williams.

I am also hoping that Charli Collier can make it to a UConn home game sometime soon :)

Reaction Score
An Aquira acquiring i'd be admiring,and i'd be lying if i didn't hope the coaches who the school has been hiring didn't have all their cylinders firing on this gal.

Reaction Score
Since I live in Northern California, I'll chime in here and point out a some things about DeCosta:

— Though some list her as wing and project her as possibly being a small forward in college, she currently plays center for her HS team (which is ranked #1 in the country by ESPN). Of course, it's very typical for any girl over 6'0", regardless of skill set and where she's expected to play in college to play center by default at the high school level.

However, DeCosta is obviously not just any 6'2" girl. She is a rebounding nightmare. This season against Riverdale Baptist (the #3 team in the country by ESPN) she had 19 rebounds (along with 22 points), even though Riverdale Baptist has five 6'0"+ players on their roster. More recently, her team St. Mary's got an overtime scare from Salesian HS (also in NorCal). DeCosta ripped down 27 rebounds that game (along with 22 points and 6 blocks) in a matchup against Salesian's 6'5" center, Angel Jackson. Though Jackson is only a freshman, Dan Olson of ESPNW has already stated that she is "definitely top 25 [nationally] in her class." Again, that's 27 rebounds against a girl just a year younger with a "Wilt Chamberlain build."

Point being, it's going to be tough for a coach to justify letting a rebounder like DeCosta spend too much time roaming away from the paint, possibly at the expense of easy put backs off O-boards with her pogo stick leaping ability (she can dunk volleyballs).

— She hasn't attempted a single 3-pointer so far this season. Her perimeter game is described as "emerging," and there is a consensus among astute observers that her shooting needs to become more consistent in order to transition to the wing spot, and that she may need to revamp her shooting form as her current fundamentals/mechanics are slightly "off."

Point being, at this time many folks think her game would be best utilized at the power forward position. Thus, I really don't think there is/would be too much "overlap" between DeCosta and the two players you mentioned (Megan Walker and Lexi Gordon).

— I actually have not had the chance to see DeCosta play in person (even though I am also in NorCal, I'm a 2-hour drive from DeCosta's HS). But from what I've gathered, she seems similar to Nneka Ogwumike. Both 6'2" freak athletes. Although I definitely think DeCosta is a bit more advanced and polished at this stage than Nneka (who didn't really blow up until after her freshman season at Stanford). Additionally, while her perimeter shooting needs improvement, DeCosta is said to be a good ball handler for her size (something Nneka never really developed).

Kat-

Thanks for the outstanding post! 27 rebounds on any level is pretty ridiculous!

With that type of size and athleticism, one of my favorite phrases when it evaluating players comes to mind, "Can defend multiple positions." Very, very intriguing.

Reaction Score
I have a feeling that the 2017 and 2018 recruiting classes will provide some very nice Christmas
presents to the Huskies.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
Marissa Moseley watched sophomore Katlyn Gilbert play on Thursday. She's a combo guard ranked #10 by ESPN and #14 by Prospects Nation in the '18 class.

Reaction Score
I have a feeling that the 2017 and 2018 recruiting classes will provide some very nice Christmas
presents to the Huskies.
Agree. Great Uconn recruiting classes seem to follow in alternative years following great recruiting classes like the one with our current two freshmen.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NewErA

Top Bottom