Your Opinion on 2017 & 2018 Recruiting Classes | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Your Opinion on 2017 & 2018 Recruiting Classes

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
What AD in his or her right mind wouldn't give Geno a contract extension for as long as Geno wants? I'm not worried!
Since the 2012-13 season and including the current season UCONN starting lineup has not been without Multiple 1st Team All American. This concept of a singular UCONN star surrounded by a bunch of role players is not compatible with winning a championship(s). Nor did this work out too well for Senior Maya Moore who should have had a 1st team AA playing alongside of her as a senior. UCONN has not successfully recruited out of HS an elite post player since Stewie & Tuck in 2012. Stewie will graduate in 5 months and Morgan may choose to leave early. That would leave 2 post players (Butler & Erwin) on the UCONN rosters for the 2016-17 season. If that sounds like a complaint then I'm only complaining because I'm spoiled and greedy. Greedy enough to say UCONN needs to sign an elite post in 2017 to bolster it's championship hopes.

While I unhesitatingly defer to your impressive expertise in recruiting, and I would love to see Reisigerova Czech-in and sign up at UConn, if we're going after Eastern European bigs, I vud velcome the vunderfull Maria Vadeeva vay, vay more.

http://www.fiba.com/world/u19women/2015/Maria-VADEEVA

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Geno and staff needs to start looking at Cali Konek immediately. She's only a freshman and is from Pa. Putting up big numbers can handle hit from deep penetrate looking like a young DT.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Geno and staff needs to start looking at Cali Konek immediately. She's only a freshman and is from Pa. Putting up big numbers can handle hit from deep penetrate looking like a young DT.

I have to disagree with you here. If you look at the competition she's playing against in this video, its nothing like anything you would see in college and based on games I've seen I would have to characterize it as well below average for the high school level. I think Geno & Co. will need to see her playing in games with and against much better competition before they would offer her a spot at UConn. Her stats are impressive but she's taking 33 shots per game with 14 of those being 3 pointers. Her FG% is 45%. Nothing against her, but I think if UConn were to take her, it would be a huge adjustment period going from that level to the best of WCBB.

Reaction Score
I have to disagree with you here. If you look at the competition she's playing against in this video, its nothing like anything you would see in college and based on games I've seen I would have to characterize it as well below average for the high school level. I think Geno & Co. will need to see her playing in games with and against much better competition before they would offer her a spot at UConn. Her stats are impressive but she's taking 33 shots per game with 14 of those being 3 pointers. Her FG% is 45%. Nothing against her, but I think if UConn were to take her, it would be a huge adjustment period going from that level to the best of WCBB.
Competition in girls high school period is not good. This girl can flat out shoot the ball has the IQ. Any player who averages 40 ppl needs to be rewarded. Everyone was routing for Heathers Buck and Connecticut high school basketball isn't all that great. Besides do Uconn has any competition in AAC play. Lol she can play there if Molly bent going there

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
Competition in girls high school period is not good. This girl can flat out shoot the ball has the IQ. Any player who averages 40 ppl needs to be rewarded. Everyone was routing for Heathers Buck and Connecticut high school basketball isn't all that great. Besides do Uconn has any competition in AAC play. Lol she can play there if Molly bent going there
I see a young girl with good, not great speed. Good form on her shot. Nice variety of shots. Nice range. Good handle with a nice little euro-step. But high school basketball is about showcasing your scoring skills. Can she play defense? Can she handle the physicality of play when better teams body up on her? Can she read her teammates setting them up for baskets? How does she respond to instruction? To criticism? Is she a team player? How will she respond when she goes 0-10 with 4 turnovers? Does she want to win more than she wants to score? There's so much more to BB than scoring against inferior opposition. Time will tell.

JordyG

Reaction Score
While I unhesitatingly defer to your impressive expertise in recruiting, and I would love to see Reisigerova Czech-in and sign up at UConn, if we're going after Eastern European bigs, I vud velcome the vunderfull Maria Vadeeva vay, vay more.

http://www.fiba.com/world/u19women/2015/Maria-VADEEVA
Both of these girls are my Huskies dream duo for 2017. Would love a big off guard for "17 as well.

Reaction Score

We'll have to agree to disagree. The Imani Christian School has 17 girls enrolled, that means they're probably playing against schools with similar enrollment numbers. That leads to very much below average competition. We'll have to wait and see how Cali plays once she starts to play in AAU tournaments against other good players.

I don't see the connection to UConn fans "rooting" for Heather Buck and this. I never said I wasn't rooting for a freshman in high school to succeed in her basketball career, that couldn't be farther from the truth. I hope Cali is able to accomplish whatever goals she may have in basketball. I was simply stating my opinion on whether I think that Geno "needs to start looking at her immediately" which I do not. Who knows, down the road I could be wrong, in which case I will gladly admit that. But I think people having opinions and discussing them on the board is why we all enjoy spending our time here.

Reaction Score
Ironically, I recently read about this Konek girl (she's the #2 scorer in the country). I was impressed in the video with how quickly she can launch and how she can drain shots even with lots of coverage. Is she the next Jackie Stiles? Who knows...but she definitely can shoot. The biggest question is her physical attributes. She looks small and slender with decent but not great foot speed. But you can't deny, regardless of competition, that she has a bona fide knack for putting the ball in the hoop. Definitely one to keep an eye on, but might need a growth spurt to be a UConn caliber player.

Also, in the article I read, it says that she chose to play for her current HS because she wasn't getting much PT with her previous school over the summer or something, or didn't forecast getting much PT. Thus, the context of her prolific scoring does need to be considered in putting her scoring exploits into perspective.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
March 16 update:

The #1 team in the country St. Mary's was shocked Tuesday in the NoCal Open Division semi, meaning Aquira DeCosta's season is over. She scored 27 points in the loss.

Reaction Score
p.s. - get excited about things like this:

Newly offered 2017 Texas wing Lexi Gordon's twitter feed is COVERED in tweets and reweets about UConn and her visit. Trip to NYC with newly offered 2018 Arkansas guard Christyn Williams....both decked out in UConn gear and there together. Even Lexi's sister was in UConn gear. :cool:

So I guess so far I was spot on (i.e. - the first half of this "p.s." post).

Reaction Score
March 16 update:

The #1 team in the country St. Mary's was shocked Tuesday in the NoCal Open Division semi, meaning Aquira DeCosta's season is over. She scored 27 points in the loss.

Wow, talk about a huge upset! Pinewood hit 16 threes to get the narrow victory. Very Louisville-esque of them. Will play undefeated Miramonte and Sabrina Ionescu in the NorCal finals.

Reaction Score
March 16 update:

How does DeCosta pronounce her first name? Is it "Akweera"? Or "Akeera"?

Reaction Score
Duncanville (Texas) should be the #1 high school team (women) with the St. Mary's loss.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
How does DeCosta pronounce her first name? Is it "Akweera"? Or "Akeera"?

I've heard the latter but not 100% certain how she pronounces it.

Incidentally, that was St. Mary's first loss since December of 2014 to.....Crystal Dangerfield and Blackman.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Marissa Moseley watched sophomore Katlyn Gilbert play on Thursday. She's a combo guard ranked #10 by ESPN and #14 by Prospects Nation in the '18 class.
Slu,
I'm not sure how I missed this from a few months back but if Marissa was watching Katlyn Gilbert play she also got to see Tyasha Harris play who is still uncommitted. Could UCONN be still interested in Harris?

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
Slu,
I'm not sure how I missed this from a few months back but if Marissa was watching Katlyn Gilbert play she also got to see Tyasha Harris play who is still uncommitted. Could UCONN be still interested in Harris?

Was UConn ever interested in Harris? I don't know. They apparently have been following Gilbert for more than a year.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Was UConn ever interested in Harris? I don't know. They apparently have been following Gilbert for more than a year.
Almost a year ago there were some posters on here that indicated that UCONN was interested in Harris. "Bruinbball" ?? was a big advocate of Harris and there was a poster with the word "knucke" ?? in the name that said there was definite UCONN interest. Of course that was before UCONN signed Molly.

Reaction Score
It is that question of whether a coach accepts a 'package deal' - the recruit that says 'I want to play college ball with _____ .' where the blank is filled in with 'MY sister' or 'MY teammate' or 'MY best friend'. It says the decision isn't about the coach or the other players already at the school or the style of play or the school itself and I would think is a big red flag about what type of teammate that recruit is going to be. It isn't quite the same as what happened with UNCs big class which seemed to be sort of orchestrated or the TASSK force at Uconn - those players knew each other but were a diverse group from various states who had played with and against each other at USA trials or in AAU.
Every team develops cliques and people choose roommates or best friends, but a coaching staff and team members have a better chance to manage those dynamics if they are integral to the team process at the school - it is much harder to manage if they comes pre-packaged. I think a situation like the Samuelson sisters or the O sisters is easier because there were a few years between the arrivals so the eldest already had a few years of integration and experience before the next sister arrived, with twins it is harder.
I don't think it has to be a deal breaker, but I do think a wise coach is more wary of the situation.

And yeah - I wonder specifically about the DD/Cooper dynamic, I hadn't thought about the NW issue - did they all play for the same AAU? Not the same HS?
I really thought you raised some seriously thoughtful and credible concerns about package deals. I think Geno and other coaching staffs would want to decide on the makeup of their teams and to have someone even suggest otherwise would certainly be highly problematic.

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
It is that question of whether a coach accepts a 'package deal' - the recruit that says 'I want to play college ball with _____ .' where the blank is filled in with 'MY sister' or 'MY teammate' or 'MY best friend'. It says the decision isn't about the coach or the other players already at the school or the style of play or the school itself and I would think is a big red flag about what type of teammate that recruit is going to be. It isn't quite the same as what happened with UNCs big class which seemed to be sort of orchestrated or the TASSK force at Uconn - those players knew each other but were a diverse group from various states who had played with and against each other at USA trials or in AAU.
Every team develops cliques and people choose roommates or best friends, but a coaching staff and team members have a better chance to manage those dynamics if they are integral to the team process at the school - it is much harder to manage if they comes pre-packaged. I think a situation like the Samuelson sisters or the O sisters is easier because there were a few years between the arrivals so the eldest already had a few years of integration and experience before the next sister arrived, with twins it is harder.
I don't think it has to be a deal breaker, but I do think a wise coach is more wary of the situation.

And yeah - I wonder specifically about the DD/Cooper dynamic, I hadn't thought about the NW issue - did they all play for the same AAU? Not the same HS?

Super late but I just saw this today when the thread got bumped. Russell, Reynolds, and Nared all played for the Team Concept AAU team based out of Portland. Kailee Johnson of Stanford also played on that team. This article talks about it.

http://espn.go.com/college-sports/r...6273/four-standouts-put-oregon-basketball-map

Apparently, Reynolds, Nared, and Johnson played together since grade school. Russell was recruited to joined them in high school. I don't think they've got the best coaching at Tennessee. But I also wonder if it's a scenario where they were good enough in high school to dominate AAU but they were overrated individually because of their collective success. Kailee Johnson was ranked #20 in high school and really hasn't done much at Stanford to date. So I'd say that all 4 have underwhelmed (at least compared to their ranking) so far.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
Almost a year ago there were some posters on here that indicated that UCONN was interested in Harris. "Bruinbball" ?? was a big advocate of Harris and there was a poster with the word "knucke" ?? in the name that said there was definite UCONN interest. Of course that was before UCONN signed Molly.

Maybe they had some inside knowledge, but I don't. Haven't found anything indicating interest in Harris and the piece from January only mentioned Gilbert which seems telling.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Super late but I just saw this today when the thread got bumped. Russell, Reynolds, and Nared all played for the Team Concept AAU team based out of Portland. Kailee Johnson of Stanford also played on that team. This article talks about it.

http://espn.go.com/college-sports/r...6273/four-standouts-put-oregon-basketball-map

Apparently, Reynolds, Nared, and Johnson played together since grade school. Russell was recruited to joined them in high school. I don't think they've got the best coaching at Tennessee. But I also wonder if it's a scenario where they were good enough in high school to dominate AAU but they were overrated individually because of their collective success. Kailee Johnson was ranked #20 in high school and really hasn't done much at Stanford to date. So I'd say that all 4 have underwhelmed (at least compared to their ranking) so far.
Interesting thoughts on the rankings - certainly an AAU team with five highly rated D1 prospects playing together would tend to make them all look better. But I think the coaching debacle at TN makes it really hard to judge player quality. I suspect for example that Graves stock has fallen deep into the second round of the WNBA draft and a team that 'takes a flier' on her might be getting someone who will blossom removed from the TN environment - no guarantee, but she seems to be a team player who has been mired for four years on a team with me first guards especially, and one that has never been a great passing or shooting team. For a post player that is a recipe for disaster and frustration.

JordyG

Reaction Score
Interesting thoughts on the rankings - certainly an AAU team with five highly rated D1 prospects playing together would tend to make them all look better. But I think the coaching debacle at TN makes it really hard to judge player quality. I suspect for example that Graves stock has fallen deep into the second round of the WNBA draft and a team that 'takes a flier' on her might be getting someone who will blossom removed from the TN environment - no guarantee, but she seems to be a team player who has been mired for four years on a team with me first guards especially, and one that has never been a great passing or shooting team. For a post player that is a recipe for disaster and frustration.
Worse she's been mired on a team whose offensive teachings/philosophy is predicated on the creativity of the guards and their pinpoint entry passes to a double post. All against a packed in 2/3 all with long arms. Silly, and hardly advantageous to a team player. Certainly difficult for a forward to demonstrate her variety of skills, and difficult to hone new ones.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Trying to stay positive here and bumping this thread so everyone can update their wish list for UCONN recruits for next two classes.

PF Olivia Owens
PF Jade Williams
SF Lexi Gordon
SG Megan Walker
G Espinoza-Hunter

PF Danielle Cosgrove
PF Charli Collier
SF Aquira DeCosta
SG Christianna Carr
G Christyn Williams

Status
Not open for further replies.